Questions nobody seems to have an answer for. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,201 Posts

Advertise Here

I have been preparing for over 40 years and nothing has happen.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,366 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

2. "There are things we know that we know. There are (also) known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know." - Former US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

Part of the art of survival preparation is to continuously expand your awareness of the Unknowns. And then take actions to mitigate them. Rather than resting easy inside of a self-constructed box of inflexible thinking.
In the way I categorize things, this falls under mental training, an area in which many people take much for granted, and fail to realize anything close to their potential. The failure to seriously address this category is deadly, and the more effort expended to address it will be beneficial overall.

There are many aspects to mental training, some of the more germane to survivalists would be things like training oneself to be quiet in all things, to be alone, to endure thirst, hunger, pain, to deal effectively with demoralizing situations, the list is nearly endless. To me, above all else is the need to be able to accurately see and assess the given reality, to not see what you want to see, but what is actually there.

To delve into the latter is dangerous, as most people find aspects of it disturbing, contradictory to their belief structure, their sense of self, and so I am going to only address one aspect that I think important, that is addressed in the aforementioned quote.

Quote:
There are things we do not know we don't know.
What does that mean? What can we do about it?

There is a concept concerning our psychology that I became aware of some time ago. I called it the greased beach ball effect, in that one cannot stand balanced on top of a greased beach ball without falling to one side. Later I came across a reference to FBI exploration into this, and they called it a mental slide.

What is being described is the very real situation where one is confronted by information, a thought pattern that is alien, perhaps ultimately repugnant, horrific beyond one's capacity to input it, and the mind simply ignores it, slips right past it as if it wasn't there.

Most often the person isn't even aware that they denied a part of the reality, as the process is automatic, outside of one's consciousness. So then one is analyzing a given thing, minus a certain part of it, perhaps several parts, and under certain circumstances this could lead to negative outcomes, if what is being denied is critical to the overall understanding.

I said that this process is automatic, but that does not mean that it is not detectable. If you can accept that it is real, and that it is common to the psychology of all mankind, that is it happens to you, then one can detect it happening, and therefore do something about it.

This is how I came to the realization of it. I don't remember what I was thinking about at the time, but it was very uncomfortable for me to dig into it, my having to force myself ever deeper into the subject matter. Then there was a jump, a discernible gap in the thought process, and I said, wait just a damn minute, what was that? I repeated the thought process, and once again a jump, and so I examined that place, held it still in my mind and dissected it, and found what I could not accept. It felt like opposing poles of a magnet. This was quite interesting to me, and I began to detect these sorts of little jumps in other considerations of things, and it worried me, as what am I missing by this happening, what am I really seeing in any given situation, could this blindness get me killed one day?

I thought about this as time went on, and came to the conclusion that this was a part of something larger. This was the unconscious manifestation of something that happens in the conscious mind when people attempt to address something they really can't deal with, and throw up a flurry of denial, and justifications for retreating from consideration of the information, often accompanied with anger at the one that brought it up, or the situation itself.

This must be dealt with to avoid living in a delusional world that we wish to be real but isn't. If this common psychological trait is not addressed it creates an extreme vulnerability in a survival situation, and could easily lead to the death of oneself and the entire group.

Yes, everybody likes to think the best of themselves, their mental competency, and take great umbrage with any criticism of same. But the hard cold facts are that unless you have been tested, or tested the self, to see what is really going on in there, then you do not know, could not know. You simply accept what you want to believe about it all, without any factual information as to the reality.

This is only one small snippet of mental training, there being vastly more to understand, accept, and to practice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enemy mind For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,923 Times in 889 Posts

Folks shooting distance whom rarely practice pistol. I don’t get it, that’s the most likely DGU & practicality one would have a need for decent skill every single day.

Preparedness minded folk whom don’t carry everyday (and could), I’m truly behooved by.

In now times, and a skill worth having after a SHTF as well. Absolutely learn rifleman and beyond skills, but maintain EDC pistol skills.

A great quote from that Quigley Down Under movie - Matthew Quigley: “I said I didn't have much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use it...” on pistols.

Preparedness minded folk whom state “I’ll just go buy XYZ”, or “trade for same”, “ or just go GET same”...leave me rather perplexed. More-so when discussing “things” which they can have now without issue nor much waste or hassle. The basics in this context...water, food, shelter, security. Sure, I’ll be the first to recognize we can’t have “everything” for every situation, but do have enough skills and knowledge to get by without resorting to something as dumb as heading out for XYZ beyond last minute. Putting ourselves in unnecessary risk.

Those “last shopping trip ever” type threads, which I add to on occasion. I assume that the risk is not there in those thread contexts...so play on occasion. A LOT OF FOLKS have a NEED for a last shopping trip (and more). Folks just starting out in the preparedness mindset I can get, folks whom have been around for ages? What the heck?

I look at it as, if we don’t have resources now (actual physical & trusted people) . We won’t. Period. But, thankfully, we do. And always working on it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,802 Times in 4,135 Posts

Quote:
This must be dealt with to avoid living in a delusional world that we wish to be real but isn't.
Every. Damn. Day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post
I have been preparing for over 40 years and nothing has happen.

I've been preparing for 50 years and nothing much has happened.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,410 Times in 10,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
I've been preparing for 50 years and nothing much has happened.
In my life lots of stuff has happened. Those that I was prepared for had better outcomes than those that hit me out of the blue. But there has been a lot of unnecessary preps that never got used or barely got used. Especially those that depend on special circumstances for instance; emergency medical supplies. I rarely have needed any that I prep since I am a careful individual. Though they are of the common sort and not what a medical practitioner might anticipate. I never expect to have to treat dozens of injuries. Nor would it make sense to go overboard. First aid only.

The thing is you can not always know the outcome of things you avoided or handled before they happened. Because you are a attentive driver you notice the car drifting into your lane far enough ahead to ensure that a collision does not occur. Because you think about the hazards of water across a road you do not drive into a flooded area and get washed away. Because you put up extra food and items necessary to be comfortable after a storm you get by with minimal discomfort. Because you plan ahead you are prepared.

It has been mentioned many times before but the things of survival are:
Water
Food
Shelter
Security

It makes no sense to have more than you need of one of these items while missing any of the rest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post

Preparedness minded folk whom state “I’ll just go buy XYZ”, or “trade for same”, “ or just go GET same”...leave me rather perplexed. More-so when discussing “things” which they can have now without issue nor much waste or hassle. The basics in this context...water, food, shelter, security. Sure, I’ll be the first to recognize we can’t have “everything” for every situation, but do have enough skills and knowledge to get by without resorting to something as dumb as heading out for XYZ beyond last minute. Putting ourselves in unnecessary risk.

Those “last shopping trip ever” type threads, which I add to on occasion. I assume that the risk is not there in those thread contexts...so play on occasion. A LOT OF FOLKS have a NEED for a last shopping trip (and more). Folks just starting out in the preparedness mindset I can get, folks whom have been around for ages? What the heck?

I look at it as, if we don’t have resources now (actual physical & trusted people) . We won’t. Period. But, thankfully, we do. And always working on it.
While everyone else is doing their "last minute shopping" I will probably get some coffee, a few pair of shoes, and some dog food. Which those few places should be pretty easy to hit up at night with NV. Then while the rest of the people are freaking I'll be setting up some final security measures and loading mags.
Another thing. There has been a lot of talk on another thread with that 20 min short film about when to shoot and when not to shoot. I'm an advocate for both, but can't forget about how crazy people are going to become without their TV, cell phones, social media, cigarettes, booze, pills, heroin, marijuana, and the list goes on. Crazies coming out of the wood works will do crazy things. They will be unpredictable and get shot. What I mean is there will be a time/duration for the crazies. They will get shot off say in the first few months if they last that long. Then will come the raiders. They will be smarter. Can't hesitate for either.
I was shooting with a buddy recently and laying our a scenario. We were walking down a woods path and came upon what appeared to be a small group (targets set up) and we each started shooting and pressing through each one as a speed drill 2 against 10. After running it a few times we talked about when in shtf we might need to do this and he said "we don't know if they were good guys or bad guys". While he is right, good vs. bad will be gone. Contact will be very difficult to make trust but somehow will come.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,831 Times in 5,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
What's lacking is experience. My bag has been up and down over the years. Too much crap, not enough crap, the wrong crap, the right crap in the wrong bag...but everytime my bag saved my butt over the last 50 years, some minor incidents a few major, I have ADAPTED.
Until YOU actually use YOUR bag, you have no idea what you really need in it. No one else can tell you what needs to be in YOUR bag.
Dang JOJO , I find myself in agreement with you as well as Pottery on something. And you are right every one has their own different comfort/fluff items and weather time of year et. dictates different requirements , IMHO there is no such thing has a all purpose bag. Just like here in our neck of the woods , OCT/NOV - March/April , are what I call the transition period , May-SEP the warm season and DEC-FEB the cold. Good post. JMHO and S/FI!
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,308 Times in 3,627 Posts

I take this as more of a philosophical question than a nuts and bolts question. In that light. We know what we know and what we don't know we don't know and that knowledge or lack there of varies from person to person. Add in the people who don't know but are convinced they do know and are certain they have all the answer and a picture starts to emerge of what is actually going on here and why the discourse often gets heated or strange.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 01:24 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
In my life lots of stuff has happened. Those that I was prepared for had better outcomes than those that hit me out of the blue. But there has been a lot of unnecessary preps that never got used or barely got used. Especially those that depend on special circumstances for instance; emergency medical supplies. I rarely have needed any that I prep since I am a careful individual. Though they are of the common sort and not what a medical practitioner might anticipate. I never expect to have to treat dozens of injuries. Nor would it make sense to go overboard. First aid only.

The thing is you can not always know the outcome of things you avoided or handled before they happened. Because you are a attentive driver you notice the car drifting into your lane far enough ahead to ensure that a collision does not occur. Because you think about the hazards of water across a road you do not drive into a flooded area and get washed away. Because you put up extra food and items necessary to be comfortable after a storm you get by with minimal discomfort. Because you plan ahead you are prepared.

It has been mentioned many times before but the things of survival are:
Water
Food
Shelter
Security

It makes no sense to have more than you need of one of these items while missing any of the rest.

I talked to a close neighbor who is well prepared in all aspects and he is sure that there will soon be "a correction", he called it when most Americans ill die from medical, financial, and just not knowing how to live. But he is in his mid--late 40's. Each generation of "preppers" seem to think that in their generation things will go bad. I did, and the signs in the 60's and then the 70's and on had their scary problems. I though those were the signs, so my alarm bells don't go off anymore. We could have a war soon but people in 1962 were sure we were headed for a war with Russia, and the fallout issue was on a lot of peoples' minds, or the aids epidemic in Africa or the swine flue scare. So I'll just keep my provisions up and watch the non-corporate media, but I'm not going along with the younger folks regarding the soon-to-be TEOTWAWKI.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,897 Times in 1,542 Posts

Talking in absolute terms is kind of tricky.
The average gunfight is 3 -4 shots? Fine, I'll take that into consideration, just like I take into consideration that shootout between cops and a couple bad guys with over 100 rounds fired.
This doesnt mean you should be realistic and use that good old common sense so often talked about.
As for shooting past 100 yards... in self-defense... never say never but extremely rare would fit rather well. Unless you're talking combat, and that witihn certain geographics even. Sure, you have, 100 yard shootouts, 200, 300.. but in warzones and snipers and designated shooters going after each other, not so much self defense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
As for shooting past 100 yards... in self-defense... never say never but extremely rare would fit rather well. Unless you're talking combat, and that witihn certain geographics even. Sure, you have, 100 yard shootouts, 200, 300.. but in warzones and snipers and designated shooters going after each other, not so much self defense.
If we have a complete collapse of society in the case of an EMP/grid down ect, which is why most of us prep I would think, then the whole country would become a "war zone" unfortunately.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:02 PM

When it comes to shooting between 25 - 100 yards a red dot sight on a rifle is great but the need for shooting past 100 yards WILL be there if we have a complete collapse and our country is turn into a "war zone". At least in a REAL shtf full blown scenario. So you should have your rifle set up for both close range and long.
Most seem to put electronic red dots on their rifles. Not a good idea. One it is not maximizing on the full potential of the rifle. Two electronic red dots are not a 100% fail safe if we get a sun flare or EMP or you run out of batteries.
I run Elcan Spector DR scopes on all my rifles. Switch from 1x to 6x in a second. They have an etched reticle so in the case of an EMP they will not be useless like all the people running electronic sights. When electronics fail you wont have precious red dot sights or high powered electronic scopes. Most will be reduced to hunting scopes and iron sights which are slow in combat.
Don't want to think things will get that bad? Take a look at Bosnia or Rwanda or the US civil war. Get your heads out of the sand. When SHTF in our country it's going to go downhill and fast and in many cases will not recover. If in the case of an EMP or Solar Flare we have the EMP commission report (Governmental Document) that says that 90% of our population will die of starvation, disease, killings in defense or looting. And it says we would essentially be brought back to an 1800's lifestyle overnight which most if not all of us don't know how to live. Prep for the worst.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,766 Times in 7,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
One of things that I see posted fairly often are vast declarative statements bookending a survival scenario.

"I will only ever need to shoot out to 100 yards"

"Its okay my BOB is so light because its only designed for 2 weeks"

"I won't ever need 4WD"

"I'll only ever need to fire a couple shots"

and I always want to know "How do you know that?" To which I very seldom get any answer at all or if I do, its not very satisfactory.

Nice to be so certain of things, eh? We are opinionated, the folk who post here. And we need to be mindful of the notion that what we use may not be the right tools for the next fellow. Also, freedom is about choices, and the bigger our bag of tricks, the more likely we are to emerge from SHFT less covered with crap than otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel8 View Post
If we have a complete collapse of society in the case of an EMP/grid down ect, which is why most of us prep I would think, then the whole country would become a "war zone" unfortunately.
Indeed.

Personally, if and when the often discussed 'raiders' get in the area I do not intend to fight them in my backyard but would rather get together with like minded people and rain long range rifle fire down on them before they ever get into my part of the valley.

Or for that matter, when the civil war that I think will be part of any large scale scenario comes I want to at least be one equal terms with all the other people running around with medium/long range rifles.

Self defense is all well and good, but I think in SHTF group offense is better.

Quote:
Take a look at Bosnia or Rwanda or the US civil war.
Indeed. We don't have to reinvent the wheel...we just have to look at history and see the kinds of things people have already had to face through history.

And perhaps not everyone feels this way. But I feel at least a little duty to my community, county, state, etc to be equipped and skilled enough to be part of the solution rather than a victim if/when things come to it on that scale.

Watching news casts of Syria and seeing families talk about having to dodge sniper fire everyday just to get water and thinking, thank god that I'm set up so that if daily sniper fire becomes a thing here that I will at least be able to shoot back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Pusher of brooms

Maybe no one has an answer because it's the wrong question.

Why don't I carry a 9mm that holds 19 rounds? Because I shoot and conceal the 8 round gun better.

Why do I carry a 10'ish pound BOB? Because I can walk home in 30 minutes. Drive it in 6.
Different bags for different reasons.

Why is my .300BO set up for high velocity hunting loads rather than subsonics? Because the chances of me using the gun to hunt? 100%
For defense? Next to zero.

Why aren't preppers planning for what happens rather than the slight possibility? Fires happen, unemployment happens, life happens.

Definitely prep for the zombies but plan for reality first.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Late2Prep For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:23 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Maybe no one has an answer because it's the wrong question.

Why don't I carry a 9mm that holds 19 rounds? Because I shoot and conceal the 8 round gun better.

Why do I carry a 10'ish pound BOB? Because I can walk home in 30 minutes. Drive it in 6.
Different bags for different reasons.

Why is my .300BO set up for high velocity hunting loads rather than subsonics? Because the chances of me using the gun to hunt? 100%
For defense? Next to zero.

Why aren't preppers planning for what happens rather than the slight possibility? Fires happen, unemployment happens, life happens.

Definitely prep for the zombies but plan for reality first.
But see, you DO have answers.

You have actually made calculated decisions based on your process, not just arbitrary book ends. IMO, that is very different than just saying "such and such will never happen" "or I will never need such and such"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,187 Posts

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks. It is nice to hear from different perspectives. I have been trying to get prepared for some years now and I find that it is a never ending process. While I have a lot of stuff and some skills after a lot of effort, I still feel totally inadequate.

It shocks me every time we go to our BOL to work on it as to how hard it is and how long it takes to actually get out of the house and get on the road. I am also shocked at how easy it it to forget something critical, even with a list and several people working together to get everything done. It takes me weeks in advance and much effort to get everything together for each trip and every time is a special plan to get something done there. And even then one missing critical item can through a monkey wrench into the whole works. And this is in a time of peace and the only significant risk is traffic and traffic officers.

I try to imagine what we would do in the case of a real emergency an how messed up we could be in trying to get out of town in such a situation. Even in the best of times, it is extremely difficult at best to do everything right. I must say it is difficult not to envy people who have their BOL in the best locations and have everything set up so they do not need anyone or anything else. But, at least for me, I will need several more years of work to get to a place where we can even be close to being self-sufficient and even then, I expect that we will need other people and resources to thrive long term.

In the meantime, I agree that the best you can do to prepare for any given situation that you can imagine is what one should probably do. To me that is the essence of preparing because it is the unknown and we have to apply what we know to make it become a 'known thing' in order to get through it and come out the other side in decent shape or even survive at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drray777 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,897 Times in 1,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel8 View Post
I'd strongly debate the point about "most of us". I'd say most people that are into preparedness dont focus only on EMP/grid down.
As for the entire country becoming a war zone, oy uod have some very solid real world examples of exactly that happening to people across the globe, currently and in recent history and oyu can learn a lot form those that managed to deal with it succesfully. I'd say very little of it is actually reflected in most people's preparedness and the influence of fantasy seems to be a lot stronger than the boring reality.
For gun fits at 100-300 yards, even though it is well within the capabilites of most good rifles I dont see the time spent on logn range shooting being nearly as much of a good investment as CQC involving hnadguns and hand to hnad fighting. Heck, its hard enough to learn those and time/money is quite limited for most people so you have to keep it real in terms of what is more likely to be of use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 04:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,504 Times in 4,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drray777 View Post
In the meantime, I agree that the best you can do to prepare for any given situation that you can imagine is what one should probably do. To me that is the essence of preparing because it is the unknown and we have to apply what we know to make it become a 'known thing' in order to get through it and come out the other side in decent shape or even survive at all.
Everyone in every location around the globe has specific threat vectors that impact where they live. Assessing the likelihood of those threats is really how you should prioritize your planning and preparation. While some are concerned about a civil war, there are other aspects that occur seasonally that can become significant life-changing events: wild-fires, floods, droughts, hurricanes/tornados, etc. You have to have a realistic basis for planning, and most natural/seasonal threat vectors are the perfect starting point. You start with the most probably threats and work your way up to the fantasy-threats...

ROCK6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post: