Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 56 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 06:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 07:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 07:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 06:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 08:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 09:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 09:56 PM

Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Banned From Books

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 14,423 Times in 3,513 Posts

Advertise Here

Godspeed Mountain Man!

The race is on for him to get the area ready for the big freeze and conquer the challenge of winter.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Ryder View Post
Godspeed Mountain Man!

The race is on for him to get the area ready for the big freeze and conquer the challenge of winter.
Do I detect a British accent?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ballenxj For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Hi Mountain Man Mike,
Trust that you were successful with your move to your own mountain property and that the moving of your stuff was without serious hardship where you wanted it.
Followed your posts, hard work and pictures.
Keep it up and never give up on your dreams.
Keep safe and healthy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Theunsb For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,476 Times in 6,070 Posts

Mike I hope your doing well brother.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,751 Times in 4,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Testing, Breaking radio silence. Hope this is not a mistake again.

Is anybody out there? Anybody at all???

MMM here finally again. That last quote is from a 1983 movie The Day After which helped inspire me to build a bunker - fallout - protective underground shelter.

It seems like a miracle that I got to town again. Too much to explain. This summer went waay too fast.

I did not get up to my mtn place - the Mountain Hold - until July 8, 2019.

The guy I hired came to the motel I was staying in in Laramie for almost a year. I was not sure exactly when he would come up but he gave me a day or two notice he was coming to get me. It was a Sunday July 7th and he and his work crew packed up all the stuff that was in my motel room. I had been collecting what I could such as more warm clothes, a Carhartt overalls and expensive Alaska type waterproof boots. All very expensive but I want the best especially to protect my feet for the coming years, especially during the winter.

Anyway, I had to ride back with this guy, whom I met on Facebook a couple years ago and I had bought a large nice Husqvarna chainsaw from him back then. I rode with him in his large fairly new Dodge Ram really big fancy very computerized truck. I spent the night on his couch watching my last tv and movie there at his house - it was the last Clint Eastwood movie which was good but did not end very well in my opinion.

Not sure when I will ever watch tv or movies again. I do have several dvds and a thousand or so books on the laptop etc and 2 dozen or so paper books. I Must spend this next winter on my land no matter what.

It almost killed me staying / existing in that motel room. Laramie is not too bad - better than any Calirado city I have ever lived in. I was born in northern CO if any did not know.

I have asked some people to help me such as at Least give me a ride to town and even help me get my Palomini camper and my Dad's 1979 Ford pick way up my driveway. Too much to explain but it will be difficult to back the camper and the old pickup up my 4x4 driveway by myself. I will try but hope the camper trailer won't tip over. That would be the worst case scenario and one more reason I hope to get at Least one person / guy to help me. Also he could be in the drivers seat of the old pickup while I push it all up my driveway with my F-350 truck.

Anyway, I was going to make a new pic thread but I barely have time to post all of this. Here are some pics anyway that I have taken. Not the best pics taken with my phone but better than nothing. The first pic shows the old Ford truck backed up against the Palomini camper. The second pic shows my old truck with a camo tarp. The other pics I hope are self - explanatory. These pics show some of what I have done which is mainly moving a Huge amount of firewood I had stored on my driveway. I had to move all of the firewood plus much more such as the old "garage" which I had built to cover a black SUV which WR owned back in 2012. I had built that garage in one month mostly with a foot of snow on the ground. This past winter lasted from Oct. 1, 2018 to about mid July 2019. There was still 2 and 3 foot snow drifts on my driveway and all over the shaded areas of my mtn place. I finally got the stuff out of the camper trailer which was packed full of boxes etc.

The work crew moved my stuff off of my one cousin's farm and onto my mtn place July 8th. It cost me $3,000 but I guess worth it. No other moving co would move me especially onto my remote mountain and across the spring and up my rough mtn driveway.

I Might get that work crew to build a long log pole and plywood garage over my camper trailer and my two pickup trucks but will see. It likely will cost me a lot of $ and I still need to buy a couple year's worth of stored food. Maybe more about all of that later. I will post again IF I can get back to town and IF I can have time to go to a library etc. I am posting right now from the only laundromat for almost a hundred miles. In Saratoga, WY

Here are the pics and many of them can give a good idea the amount of firewood I have now which might be about Ten cords of firewood. I have 5 places I have firewood plus the bunker wood shed which has at least a pickup truck load of split firewood. I have a real large cast iron wood stove and a large gasoline generator still in the back of my 2006 F-350 and I Hope I can get one or two people to help me move them out of the truck. I do have a hydraulic lift which I hope will be high enough to get those heavy large items out. Anyway, I also wish to say - write that I will pay anyone who can come up at least $2,000 to help me and even help drive me around. Even for just a couple days. There was one guy who can ID himself if he wishes who even had plane tickets to Denver but the hurricane has him now. So not sure if I will see him this year. Too much to explain right now. Hope I can explain a lot more in a week or two or month even - whenever I can get back to town.

Here are all of the new pics I do have from my phone which shows where I have my stuff parked and hopefully shows quite a bit of the firewood I do have so far. Notice the very large tree that fell only ten feet in front of my A-frame shed. I am sure some wish it would have fallen On my shed but maybe some year in the future. I still have to cut up that tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
None of those cabins will work up there Mike. You should build a very steep A frame.
You and I both know how it can snow up there and one of these years, you're going to have one of those 20+ feet of snow winters.

If you're going to make it through this coming winter you better get busy sawing and splitting firewood. You're going to need, at the very least, four cords.
Thanks and I have been accumulating firewood for more than 20 years up there and hope the pics I just posted give a good idea how much firewood I do have right now stacked. I have two large woodstoves. The new large stove and a 55 gallon barrel stove so I should not have to split much wood which also will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
And mountain mike slips off mysteriously to survive in the wilderness again....god speed sir
Some folks say he is up there still. A quote from the song in the movie Jeremiah Johnson.

IF I don't get a chance to post again this year and I might not be able to get back online until next July 2020 so I will say now "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" Later I hope the MM Mike

Now finally the pics which I hope are self - explanatory. I dont have time to put up large pics from a photo site. So have to click the pics to see the large photos. Take care all and dont worry about me. Just come up If possible and no one have the sheriff or anyone do a welfare check on me. My phone number to text me is 307-365-5826 I almost always have the phone turned off so text is best. Be careful out there I am more than eveer......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_081850.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	291332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_085620.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	291334   Click image for larger version

Name:	1564583267755.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	291336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_082101.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	291338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_112220.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	291340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_162856.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	291342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190813_112145.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	291344   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_162942.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	291346   Click image for larger version

Name:	1565708694070.jpg
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	291348  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
Testing, Breaking radio silence. Hope this is not a mistake again.

Is anybody out there? Anybody at all???

Nope, nobody beside us Raccoon's n Coyotes. SHH!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ballenxj For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 PM
begger of beer

Glad to see you put you number up. Hope people won’t be bashful about texting. Sure it would be nice this winter to hear from outside the stronghold. -K
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,196 Posts

MMMike, Good to hear from you again! I hope you will get enough accomplished for winter survival.

I don't use a smartphone so don't do text. I can send text via my email account but MMMike couldn't answer via text. Also without knowing what sort of phone plan Mike has I was thinking that it would be nice (through the snow pack time especially) if someone in contact with Mike would occasionally post an update here.

I am probably just one of many rooting for Mike's success in his venture but don't want to clutter his in-basket.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned From Books

Nice Work Mike!
Glad you are in the stages of the last, great bug-in for the Mike Oakley!
Wish I was there, but stuck making my way in a new career and way right now. Someone just bought one of my books too, not sure who that was but thanks I guess.

Have you got all your guns salvaged from Coloradica yet?

Laramie used to be a very very conservative town, but the university they stuck there is ruining it, a lot of folks used to open carry, even into the 1980s.

I was worried you wouldn't have time to get it done, but hopefully you can make the walls and doors to the new cabin, then install the wood stove?

If all else fails, you can always tumble on down to the sawmill in town and get some work there with all the beaners.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Watch Ryder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,751 Times in 4,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Thanks for the few responses. I am also happy to see 12 or so thanks on my last pic post. I likely posted too much but I actually could have posted much much more.

I am trying to keep a journal but not everyday. Too boring such as getting water from my drinking water spring, filtering it etc. I did get to go to Saratoga WY a week ago when a neighbor guy told me he was going there anyway. I bought well over $400 worth of food etc but I should get ten times that much. I Never want to run out of food and all winter there is plenty of snow to melt.

This was also the very shortest and coldest summer ever. More than 9 months of snow from Oct 1, 2018 to late July 2019.

I am at an old cabin which barely has electricity and No TV which Is good. I forgot my phone charger but the outlet is old 2 prong.

I am supposed to meet a guy tomorrow a friend of Rocky Randy here in Tonswater. A reference to the Mountain Hold books. I want to buy all the paper copies of those books which I think are maybe a dozen but will see.

I truly hope this guy will help me build my new very long large log pole, lumber garage cabin then I should barely beat the coming snows.
Well about out of electric in this not so smart phone. To WR I think the sawmill is closed and I lost about all my Dad's guns like Mike Oakley had. And my cousins in Calirado are keeping - Stealing my $1400 Saiga shotgun. I must get it back but it might be late next summer.

Well more later if when I get back to town in a few days or months such as maybe next July. If any think I am foolish for even trying to live in the high country of the Rocky Mountains especially all winter, try to understand that I want and need to do this before I get any older. I need to finally do this, hopefully exactly what I need and want to Do. Maybe even write a book. I also have 4 sheds to go through and burn trash, old newspapers etc etc and find again long forgotten treasures I cached 20 to 30 years ago.
I am 61 now. Don' t worry about me but worry about all who are trapped in society etc etc etc
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Banned From Books

Mountain Man! Mountain Man! Living on the Edge of Beyond!

Sucks you lost your Oakley guns, figured the mover-crew could have got your Saiga though. Another time I guess.
Nice to hear you've got Rocky Randy helping you with some laborforce for the cabin etc. Look forward to pictures.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

kudos to you MMM, after so much you still persevere. best wishes in this winter season, hang tight, keep warm, eat well and enjoy some peace..
The Following User Says Thank You to angerhater For This Useful Post: