Could the gray man look prove to be a liability in certain urban bug out situations? - Page 7 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark Days, Tiger's Story. Version 1.2 Warclaw Books, Movies & Stories 101 06-18-2018 10:32 PM
Siener van Rensburg Frederick von Strass South African Preppers 380 04-15-2018 08:28 AM
Mountain Man you out there? : ) MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 12 10-26-2016 06:07 PM

Old 05-05-2019, 09:37 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
Virtually every prepper website will tell you that looking too tactical or too colorful in a bug out situation will almost certainly attract unwanted attention. Wearing neutral colors that allow you to easily blend in with the crowds would be considered sensible attire in an urban bug out situation.

This includes accessories such as shoes, hats, sunglasses, gloves and your backpack. Even if you're wearing the right clothing colors, you could still stand out like a sore thumb if you're wearing tactical gloves, military-style boots and a camouflage backpack.

While I do believe that blending in is the right choice in most situations, I question whether there are certain scenarios where looking dangerous could actually increase your chances of survival. There are people out there who prey on the weak and fear the strong. If they're hungry and desperate they're more likely to target those who don't look like they can defend themselves.

For example, if you're walking through a gang neighborhood after a major catastrophic event has occurred, those people may target anyone and everyone who appears to have food or water. Looking dangerous and authoritative might actually create a sense of fear in some of those people, and even if they do decide to try and rob you they're likely to have less confidence if you look and sound like you know how to defend yourself.
Nope. They will target you first before the masses of regular folk walking through the wreckage of society.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 AM

(I made an account because of this conversation. It is my favorite subject.)
It is my understanding, that being a grey man is best for times of peace, in that you don't draw the attention of your neighbors and surroundings to yourself or your preparedness. Dress simply, avoid camo, don't be loud, but especially don't be suspicious (ie any MCU character trying to go undercover (hat, hoodie, and sunglasses)). When SHTF, you must become a different kind of invisible that doesn't involve blending in with the crowd, so it's time to ditch the "square" appearance and become a hard target. Open carry that rifle and wear something that emboldens your appearance.
During my every day, I wear a pair of regular cargo pants with light grass stains, untucked from my boots (making them look kinda like shoes), a plain t-shirt (untucked), a simple black fitted hat, and occasionally a school backpack when I ride my bike (the only thing about me that draws attention, something I'm trying to fix). Based on my appearance, you would not likely guess that I'm noteworthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoneMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 05:22 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,686 Times in 13,349 Posts

Quote:
snip

For example, if you're walking through a gang neighborhood after a major catastrophic event has occurred, those people may target anyone and everyone who appears to have food or water. Looking dangerous and authoritative might actually create a sense of fear in some of those people, and even if they do decide to try and rob you they're likely to have less confidence if you look and sound like you know how to defend yourself.
Snip.

That will single you out from all the other sheepish groups. Once singled out, you will either be attacked or avoided.

Better to blend in and go unnoticed. If you need to instill fear into the types that would do you and other sheep harm, best to leave no trace but a trail of bodies.

Why look distinctive and hardened? It will just give you them better verbiage to put on the wanted posters.

Time to repeal the 17th.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
Quote:
Virtually every prepper website will tell you that looking too tactical or too colorful in a bug out situation will almost certainly attract unwanted attention. Wearing neutral colors that allow you to easily blend in with the crowds would be considered sensible attire in an urban bug out situation.

This includes accessories such as shoes, hats, sunglasses, gloves and your backpack. Even if you're wearing the right clothing colors, you could still stand out like a sore thumb if you're wearing tactical gloves, military-style boots and a camouflage backpack.

While I do believe that blending in is the right choice in most situations, I question whether there are certain scenarios where looking dangerous could actually increase your chances of survival. There are people out there who prey on the weak and fear the strong. If they're hungry and desperate they're more likely to target those who don't look like they can defend themselves.

Nope. They will target you first before the masses of regular folk walking through the wreckage of society.
This is about right. Ive seen it at my job in public safety, namely during weather emergencies.

A guy who lives in a borough we serve was using his plow during the snow storm of 2016. He had his usual yellow work hoodie on and khaki workpants with black belt. He was running his plowtruck with the yellow lights on to plow his clients driveways. Apparently his truck was identical to a township truck and he was dressed accordingly. He was confronted by people on multiple occasions wanting to know why he wasnt plowing the street and only plowing certain driveways. Even after he explained the situation people were still angry he wasnt "helping out" with snow removal. People will tend to gravitate to those who "look" official and want help. If you cant or are unwilling to provide it I'm thinking the response wont be pleasant when SHTF. Lots of entitled people out there...

I usually dress in the big mens K-Mart clearance section or Salvation Army specials. The less people think of you by appearance the less they tend to expect from you by action...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bellerophon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,642 Times in 935 Posts

RE-GRAY MAN
and
how to effect a keep away look....

Old 06-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,134 Posts

Grayman Rules:

Rule 1 - be "no man" (if you ain't on the street, you got little to worry about)

Rule 2 - when you go to the beach, wear swimwear.
when you go to the North Pole, wear a parka.
don't bring attention to yourself by deviating from this Rule

If you get confused, refer to Rule 1
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLife For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post

I usually dress in the big mens K-Mart clearance section or Salvation Army specials. The less people think of you by appearance the less they tend to expect from you by action...
Thank you for mentioning this, it makes me feel better in my choices. My husband works about 30 miles away and he has to go through a rough neighborhood. I worry that there might be a situation like 9/11 where he has to leave the city walking. I always thought that I would get him a used and worn out back pack for his get home bag and put old clothes in there so that he looked more like a bum. Not to sound racist, I am Hispanic and I am a mutt, but that sounds like his best chance at blending in since he is white.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,231 Posts

Well I served in the army and will acquire and use gear that is similar to what I used when I served, or something similar to what they may use today if improved, I have a buddy who keeps up on that stuff more than I care to.

I don't really care how others perceive me if I need to throw a kit on and dcus or multi cam or something similar.

My comfort and gear reliability > what you think of it

Application > looks

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ForgedInTheFlame; 07-04-2019 at 10:16 PM..
Old 07-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,686 Times in 8,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flofli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post

Thank you for mentioning this, it makes me feel better in my choices. My husband works about 30 miles away and he has to go through a rough neighborhood. I worry that there might be a situation like 9/11 where he has to leave the city walking. I always thought that I would get him a used and worn out back pack for his get home bag and put old clothes in there so that he looked more like a bum. Not to sound racist, I am Hispanic and I am a mutt, but that sounds like his best chance at blending in since he is white.
I still think a tradesman uniform splits the difference the best.

The super versatile blue overalls look that has a reason to be everywhere. And so generates that trust without looking like you have chosen a side.

And you are still running around in rugged gear that should provide some protection from the elements.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,816 Times in 18,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Well I served in the army and will acquire and use gear that is similar to what I used when I served, or something similar to what they may use today if improved, I have a buddy who keeps up on that stuff more than I care to.

I don't really care how others perceive me of I need to throw a kit on and dcus or multi cam or something similar.

My comfort and gear reliability > what you think of it

Application > looks

Meh, buddy took a picture of me the other day to send to my mother and I realized that the danner boots, fire hose pants, and that day green T shirt (bought in 6 packs of varrying dull colors from wallmart) are not significantly different from boots n utes.

But they don't scream 'military/cammo'
(But if I rub some mud on, or stain them with grass and leaves they will work close enough to just as well not to matter....)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,310 Times in 3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Meh, buddy took a picture of me the other day to send to my mother and I realized that the danner boots, fire hose pants, and that day green T shirt (bought in 6 packs of varrying dull colors from wallmart) are not significantly different from boots n utes.

But they don't scream 'military/cammo'

(But if I rub some mud on, or stain them with grass and leaves they will work close enough to just as well not to matter....)
Can't argue here, will take your word for it.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,642 Times in 935 Posts

WHERE I LIVE
you will see folks in varied bits of camo every day at the stores.
I wear my woodland camo BDUs every day unless it is a dress up situation, then I wear the OD green BDUS.(that is north woods semi formal)

In midsummer, wearing camo here gets ZERO attention or response.
IN a "situation" EVERYONE would be in it pretty much so
it really is what is "normal" for your world.

Wearing what I wear everyday going down Wall Street at noon might get some stares
Here in northern Mich nuth'n.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: