Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article - Camping Near Bogs, Bayous, and Sloughs kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 05-16-2018 08:03 PM
Video - Cottonmouth Encounter While Hiking with my Dog kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 05-04-2018 03:10 PM
Video - Keeping Your Bearings While Hiking kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 04-25-2018 09:29 PM
Need a good video card IamZeke The Tech Zone 23 04-21-2018 07:40 PM
Ohioman's Texas Summer of 2018 vacation plans OhioMan General Discussion 70 03-14-2018 01:43 AM

Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,233 Times in 7,835 Posts
Default Video: Texas Rat Snake

Advertise Here

Putting this in the hiking / camping section because the snake was not in the chicken yard.

This is a Texas Rat Snake, also known as the Chicken Snake. It is pretty much harmless. However, I have heard of bites getting infected. The snakes are also supposed to carry E. Coli. Which means you wash your hands very good after handing one of these snakes.

They typically eat anything that fits in their mouth.

The Rat Snake in the video is the third one I have seen so far this year. Two have set up home on the chicken house. Once they take care of the mice and rats in the chicken house, the snakes will probably be relocated to the tractor barn.

Several years ago while on a camping trip I set my hammock up, laid down, looked up, and there was a rat snake making its way through the limbs. It was slowly moving from limb to limb looking for a birds nest.

I use to kill rat snakes, but I don't bother them anymore. They serve a purpose here on the farm in taking care of rats and mice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Prepared

I know its very rare, but I saw a 6-foot timber rattler in Shelbyville Texas last year in the fall while getting ready for hunting season. Only the second time in nearly 40 years we saw one on our property.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,233 Times in 7,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by setxfireman View Post
I know its very rare, but I saw a 6-foot timber rattler in Shelbyville Texas last year in the fall while getting ready for hunting season. Only the second time in nearly 40 years we saw one on our property.
Yep, those timber rattlers are getting more common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2018, 10:44 PM
<--My Faverolle Chicken

Thanked 1,684 Times in 629 Posts

I've had rat snakes kill my chickens...they were at the teenager stage...not quite full size but not quite babies. The snake would come in at night and try to swallow a chicken starting at the head and then get stuck at the shoulders. Then the back out and leave the slimy dead chicken. Wouldn't have bothered me if it wasn't always pullets that they go for. Why can't the kill teenage roosters?

I always relocate them but if hubby finds them he just lops their heads off. He hates snakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitanRX8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 PM
Dirty Mind

Thanked 7,086 Times in 1,840 Posts

Damn....thought this thread was about Stone Cold.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Chicken snakes at my place receive the same fate, death. They rob my hens nests, kill and eat baby Blue Birds and baby chicks, scare the heck out of wives and grandchildren and cause the dogs to bark like crazy. As far as eating rats, get a cat. A cat will kill multiple rats in a day, a rat snake will eat one mouse/rat and then lie dormant for a week or two.