My solar power setup for my BOB.... - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar/battery sizing Hunter Don DIY - Do It Yourself 58 01-09-2018 05:46 PM
HAM radio off grid power geneinnc Communications 27 12-15-2017 05:31 PM
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 11:57 AM
Helpful tips for solar new guys - post your tips here budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 230 11-26-2016 07:19 PM

Old 05-13-2018, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Advertise Here

I'm partial to a VERY light BOB, sub-15 pounds not including water, firearm or ammunition. I know I can move quickly with a BOB that's this light. I've tried it both ways: 40 lbs. and 15 lbs. and there's no contest. The 40 pounder introduces many free-radicals such as increased fatigue, foot issues, knee issues, etc.. With a perfectly-tuned 15 pound bag, I can cover around 18 miles a day without risk of blisters and other wear issues. (For sake of reference, I'm a fit 49 year old. I'm not "covering" for fitness issues, just regular wear and tear risks.)

With that in mind, I would skip the heavy solar array, whenever possible. Batteries are lighter and cheaper, and if I'm on the road long enough to burn through batteries, then I spent WAY too long getting to my BOL. If I don't have a BOL, then I'm screwed anyway.

With that said, I do carry a satellite phone in my UL bug out bag (still under the 15 pounds.) I need it to be able to speak with my children around the nation. So, for that reason, I do carry a solar array. I found this ultra, ultra light alternative to charging my satellite phone. I've field tested it and I'm impressed (not recommended for long-term use, but perfect for a BOB):

https://www.amazon.com/Solarade-Smal.../dp/B00T2UKA18
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Part numbers or model numbers of everything?
Really nice set up and I d like to mimic it.

Thanks

Links to components?
Solar panel is a PowerFilm Solar Collector 10 watt PN:FM15-600 SN: 012129 Ames, Iowa

You can find their website here https://www.powerfilmsolar.com/ and it has info on all their products and where to buy them

Occasionally you can find them on eBay or amazon (I got mine on amazon)

The battery charger is a NiteCore UM20 and is also available on amazon
They have some slick kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 08:10 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,652 Times in 12,318 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOracle View Post
I'm partial to a VERY light BOB, sub-15 pounds not including water, firearm or ammunition. I know I can move quickly with a BOB that's this light. I've tried it both ways: 40 lbs. and 15 lbs. and there's no contest. The 40 pounder introduces many free-radicals such as increased fatigue, foot issues, knee issues, etc.. With a perfectly-tuned 15 pound bag, I can cover around 18 miles a day without risk of blisters and other wear issues. (For sake of reference, I'm a fit 49 year old. I'm not "covering" for fitness issues, just regular wear and tear risks.)

With that in mind, I would skip the heavy solar array, whenever possible. Batteries are lighter and cheaper, and if I'm on the road long enough to burn through batteries, then I spent WAY too long getting to my BOL. If I don't have a BOL, then I'm screwed anyway.

With that said, I do carry a satellite phone in my UL bug out bag (still under the 15 pounds.) I need it to be able to speak with my children around the nation. So, for that reason, I do carry a solar array. I found this ultra, ultra light alternative to charging my satellite phone. I've field tested it and I'm impressed (not recommended for long-term use, but perfect for a BOB):

https://www.amazon.com/Solarade-Smal.../dp/B00T2UKA18
The one in your link weights 6.4oz so 1.6oz short of 1/2lb.

The panel I have weights 0.6lbs which is 9.6oz so for 3.2oz of extra weight I get twice the wattage to charge with.

Iím ok with that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 01:02 AM
VIP Member

(PS I think that's mostly packaging weight. In the bag, I don't think it weighs that much or even close. It's feather-light. I'm away and don't have one nearby to throw on the scale.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Hiker

Where I'm from solar panels aren't a good fit because of the rainy weather and clouds.My system is a 80cc four stroke motor mated by belt to a automotive alternator. Max load is about 50amps and it does a great job recharging all kinds of batteries as well as any 12vdc loads like lights and inverters. The motor and alternator each weigh around fifteen pounds and are carried in separate bags. The system can be assembled in about five minutes and will charge at full capacity for about an hour and use about quart of fuel. Smaller charging currents allow the motor to run longer. 10 amp charging current can be maintained for about three hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmaples For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
My main reason for buying it was because last summer a bad storm knocked out power in our area for 3 weeks..
Having a way to charge up small electronics can be a huge thing when the grid is down. I've found that buying a few of those solar lights for your driveway (cost a few dollars each and just stick in the ground) works great when you just bring them inside at night and back out in the morning.

As someone who plays a lot with solar I strongly urge people to use a larger panel, at least 10 watts, when charging batteries. The fold up flexible panels like the OP has are a fine choice, but get a good sized one. Those "solar battery chargers" that charge AA and D batteries and have a tiny solar panel built into the box can take days to charge up anything larger than a AA battery.

It all depends on your budget and goals but here is what I'd conceder to be a good combination.

charger than can run off solar provided USB 5v and charge everything from AAs to 18650s. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15 watt panel that provides 5v USB with 2.5 amp output that matches the charger above. Can also charge up almost anything that charges off a USB cord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to John Galt 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 32,652 Times in 12,318 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt 1 View Post
Having a way to charge up small electronics can be a huge thing when the grid is down. I've found that buying a few of those solar lights for your driveway (cost a few dollars each and just stick in the ground) works great when you just bring them inside at night and back out in the morning.

As someone who plays a lot with solar I strongly urge people to use a larger panel, at least 10 watts, when charging batteries. The fold up flexible panels like the OP has are a fine choice, but get a good sized one. Those "solar battery chargers" that charge AA and D batteries and have a tiny solar panel built into the box can take days to charge up anything larger than a AA battery.

It all depends on your budget and goals but here is what I'd conceder to be a good combination.

charger than can run off solar provided USB 5v and charge everything from AAs to 18650s. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15 watt panel that provides 5v USB with 2.5 amp output that matches the charger above. Can also charge up almost anything that charges off a USB cord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am actually looking at getting a second one like my current one and daisy chaining them together to make it a 20 watt panel. They sell an adapter just for daisy chaining them but recommend only going up to 20 watts with it.