Can a $370 1911 be any good??? +Range Trip I - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a good 1911 smith voland Pistol and Revolver Forum 4 11-01-2014 11:55 AM
Good article by HILTON Yam, for the 1911 owners... *Paladin* Pistol and Revolver Forum 14 02-14-2014 06:52 PM
Sig Sauer 1911 C3 Compact 1911 .45ACP + FREE Sig 1911-22 - $839.95 apps47inc For Sale 0 02-02-2014 11:16 AM
1911:The Good, the bad, and the ugly.... Lylac_Krazy Pistol and Revolver Forum 21 06-06-2013 09:03 AM
Springfield armory 1911 mags any good? wtr100 Pistol and Revolver Forum 5 09-06-2011 08:55 PM
Antichrist esk chitchat with Epiphanius* (370*AD) believer0119 Religious Discussion 7 07-15-2011 09:05 PM
Good 'Bang for the Buck' 1911? Thumper74 Pistol and Revolver Forum 24 12-15-2009 12:18 AM
Good 1911 Self Defense Models/Brands Zantamoray Pistol and Revolver Forum 12 09-17-2009 12:55 PM
Good resources to learn about the 1911? zuren Pistol and Revolver Forum 12 09-02-2009 09:45 AM
Good 1911 .45 Auto Accessories - Vendor Lady Falconessa Firearms General Discussion 3 12-04-2008 08:16 PM

Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 PM

Advertise Here

I bought a Taurus 1911 years ago for $400 or 500 honestly don't remember. That thing has been a daily carry and has never failed to go bang. Eats everything i've put in it, and i don't clean it near as often as it should be. Great gun imho.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Prepared

I recently picked up a RIA 1911a1 GI for $400 (transfer included) run great. Going to mod it soon.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:45 PM
Appalachian Adventurer

Default Range Trip I

Well hello everyone. I just got back from the range. Unfortunately I didn't have as much time there as I would have liked but I did get to shoot the ATI a good chunk.

First and foremost I wanted to let you all know that I am safe. Nothing bleeding, broken, or missing. So there is one obvious point in favor of the gun. Haha.

Also, I wanted to note that I picked up a Chip Mcormick 8 round 1911 magazine before I went shooting to play with also.

Overall I fired 150 rounds through the ATI 1911 today. (I know, I know. Its not a 5,000 round test. But I had other things to shoot as well. And I also cant afford 5,000 round of ammo per range trip ) 50 of these were Federal 230 gr ball aluminum case, 50 were Aguila 230 gr ball, and 50 were Remington 230 gr JHP's.

I shot the Aguila first. No issues at all with any of the three magazines whether fully or partially loaded. Boring regularity.

Then I shot the Federal aluminum case. In this I did have ONE time that the slide did not fully go into battery . This was with the stock magazine. A simple tap to settle the slide forward solved the issue and I didn't see any other issues with this ammo in any magazines.

Finally, I shot the Remington JHP's. Big, cheap, jacketed hollow points with massive cavities and fairly sharp edges. If you reference back to my original post, it is noted that I did have some issues hand cycling these rounds through the gun. Especially with the stock magazine.

Well....when I ran them through at the range today....ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES! I really thought I would have issues with these. Even the stock magazine performed flawlessly with them.

The gun was definitely more accurate than I am. Best groups were with the Federal aluminum case, but at 7 yards, all were able to leave large ragged holes. (Keeping in mind my fairly mediocre shooting )

So far I would say I am actually quite impressed with this pistol, even more so than when I piked it up.

I'll clean it in abit, and if I notice anything odd/overly worn/weak/etc. I will let ya'll know.

Keep an eye out for the next range trip.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Argartis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,415 Times in 3,080 Posts

Those Filipino 1911's run like scalded dogs
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,646 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
And this is the problem with the gun world in my opinion. A XD9 and a glock 19"do the same thing" in my opinion. They will both be reliable, have the same quaity parts, and shoot combat accurate. Saying a ATI 1911 and a $900 kimber/springfield loaded/SW1911 will "do the same thing" is a lie because they wont. Most of the foreign made 1911's are somewhat reliable but they likely won't feed JHP's reliably, they dont have match grade barrels, triggers, or other parts. They have no upgrades. 1911's are generally one of those areas where you get what you pay for. People don't buy guns like glocks, Xds, M&P's and the like for their accuracy, they buy them for CHEAP reliablity. People buy 1911's because you can chase bullet holes with them. You aren't going to get that kind of accuracy out of an ATI or a RIA. Just the truth. A Colt gold cup, Dan Wesson, Springfield TRP, Kimber raptor etc etc etc....you are going to get match grade accuracy.

Now I am not disagreeing that you can get crappy expensive 1911's that dont feed, and that there are lots of foreign jobs that shoot until the wheels fall off. But I have owned every type of pistol and 1911 to include the RIA GI to Springfield TRP's and Les Baers. Will the RIA GI shoot reliably with ball ammo? yeah sure, most of the time, as long as I was using a good mag, that didnt come with the gun. It also rusted the first time I took it camping. Just some food for thought, not trying to start an argument.
This right here is what's wrong gun people these days. A 1911 is a combat weapon designed and made to be reliable and durable. The 1911 has never been about extreme accuracy so tight and so far out of spec it would never run in the dirty little time to clean combat conditions it could be pressed into. Ever since shooters evolved into range rats wearing the latest shooting fashions and overly tight out of spec 1911s, everyone thinks it's a requirement to get a out of spec 1911 for it to be anything.

They weren't designed to be target uber accurate hand held shooting devices. Might want to check history. The target/range only 1911 owners are the ones who got it wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty Bones For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,023 Times in 477 Posts

I've always felt the same way. The GI version was the most reliable pistol ever tested by the military. Once you accurize it you give up some reliability for the tighter tolerance's. I guess it depends on what you want it for.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ancient christian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 03:33 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient christian View Post
I've always felt the same way. The GI version was the most reliable pistol ever tested by the military. Once you accurize it you give up some reliability for the tighter tolerance's. I guess it depends on what you want it for.
I doubt most folks want a 1911 for combat operations. You'd want it to have the higher accuracy if used for personal defense, especially in the house, and sacrificing a little reliability is fine since I'm pretty sure the vast majority of gun owners in this country aren't going to be taking it to the sandbox.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 694 Posts

I would not turn down any 1911 even old pitted and grungy ones.

I have worked on many and never found one i could not fix.

Plus 1911 parts are very common at gun shows.

I have been working on and shooting them since 1970
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 05:38 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,585 Times in 1,422 Posts

I've seen a lot of positive reviews on the Filipino 1911's. If you look on the 1911 forums there are complaints about every brand scattered in there, Colts, Springfields, Kimber, you name it. If I remember correctly the frames and component used on these are the basis of the STI Spartans which by all accounts are good guns. Nice score! Enjoy the hell out of it and use the money you saved to feed it ammo.
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Seven View Post
if used for personal defense, especially in the house, and sacrificing a little reliability is fine

Another example.

"I've got a stooper whowzer19ulta11, it jams but man I spent lots on it, it's my defense gun because online people make fun of me for having a reliable gun"

Compromising reliability to reduce Internet scorn, the new standard.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Another example.

"I've got a stooper whowzer19ulta11, it jams but man I spent lots on it, it's my defense gun because online people make fun of me for having a reliable gun"

Compromising reliability to reduce Internet scorn, the new standard.
Calm your tits, boy. Nobody is impressed with your "look at me, I'm so edgy and in ur fase" routine.

House guns don't need combat reliability because they receive regular maintenance, and aren't subject to the same abuses and conditions combat arms are. Sacrificing that level of reliability to achieve higher accuracy is perfectly acceptable because it's still going to cycle properly every time you squeeze the trigger, unless you do something retarded with it.

If you act like a total retard with your gun, abuse the crap out of it, and don't maintenance it properly, sell it to someone who knows what they're doing and invest a buck fifty in a nice rape whistle. If the bad guys come, you can blow into it and somebody competant will probably help you out.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Calm your tits, boy. Nobody is impressed with your "look at me, I'm so edgy and in ur fase" routine.

House guns don't need combat reliability because they receive regular maintenance, and aren't subject to the same abuses and conditions combat arms are. Sacrificing that level of reliability to achieve higher accuracy is perfectly acceptable because it's still going to cycle properly every time you squeeze the trigger, unless you do something retarded with it.

If you act like a total retard with your gun, abuse the crap out of it, and don't maintenance it properly, sell it to someone who knows what they're doing and invest a buck fifty in a nice rape whistle. If the bad guys come, you can blow into it and somebody competant will probably help you out.

Oh yeah, that's right. Just like the flashy tac clothes, the expensive tac accessories hanging from your pistol, your shooting conditions will always be sterile like the range is. A few rounds slung your direction and plaster or dry wall dust will cling to all that oil needed to keep that gun 97% reliable.

You're fooling yourself keeping up with the cool rep you've built up just so you can talk about your almost reliable weapons over priced (the important part) accuracy.

Sounds Kool on the web, but you're just setting yourself up for failure, and loving every dollar you waste doing it.

Here's where you save face and post some pics of your 97% reliable 1911. Pretty much all you got left. I bet it don't even have any holster wear, thems bonus Internet points right there.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,180 Times in 2,401 Posts

The first Rock Island I bought had the words "Rock Island/Twin Pines" on the label on the

box. I paid $250.00 for it, or maybe a little less for it. Great gun, I still got it. I had to put a

Wilson drop in Beavertail Grip Safety and a Wilson Skeletonized hammer in it to get it

to stop the hammer bite, but that was ok. Better control of the gun. I still have it and

it's had thousands of rounds through it down range. Never a minutes problem.

I probably have more Rock Islands than Colt 1911s and I have a bunch of Colts.

I have several other makes of Philippine 1911s and they all run and are great shooters.

Although since Rock Island and the others came out with their own Beavertail Grip

Safeties on them, I always bought that style of gun.

As far as the High Dollar Guns, I have three Wilsons and several Pre War Colts, nice guns and they run too.

I won't have a gun that doesn't run. It's nice having the ability to work on your own firearms, especially if your get

a good buy on one that's having some minor problems.

Jungle Work
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jungle Work For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,070 Posts

I have owned a whole bunch of them over the decades.

I have found accurate ones to be every bit as reliable as sloppy ones, so long as a COMPETENT Smith did the work.

Inherently keeping things straight and positioned correctly relative to each other has nothing to do with the propensity of the gun to malfunction.

I guarantee you that same grain of sand is going to jam the sloppy one as it would the tight one, the only real difference is it is harder for the grain of sand to get into the close tolerance one.

The real reason the gun was originally built with more tolerance was mass production, not reliability.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,059 Posts

I carry my Springfield TRP all the time along with my Glock 19 and USP compact. All are uber reliable. The Springfield TRP also is my bedside gun along with my BEnelli M4 untl my Operator gets here with the taclight. I don't undestand where people get the fallacy that 1911's are unreliable. My Glock 19 has jammed more than my TRP has. That being said I would trust my life to either. I just like the .45 round a little more and the night sights and handling of the 1911. Just personal preference. If you have a filipino 1911 that runs great, then good thats awesome. Shoot the heck out of it
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,217 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntoteninfadel View Post
but you do to get a pretty one
function over form every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to macruadhi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Oh yeah, that's right. Just like the flashy tac clothes, the expensive tac accessories hanging from your pistol, your shooting conditions will always be sterile like the range is.
lol, that's cute. Outside of some body armor, I haven't had or worn anything tactical in 8 years, when I was in the US Army. The range is far from sterile. Dirt and sand is everywhere there, but guess where most self dense shootings happen? Sterile environments, like inside the home or buildings, and on the streets of a city. They aren't using a weapon they haven't been able to clean after emptying 4+ mags, or has been waded through marsh water, or is choked with sand, mud, or debris, or any other extreme conditions that the majority of firearms will never be subjected to.

Quote:
A few rounds slung your direction and plaster or dry wall dust will cling to all that oil needed to keep that gun 97% reliable.
You need to get educated, kid. How much oil do you think a pistol needs to cycle properly? You just need a thin film. You may be dumb enough to dump your modern pistols in a bucket of CLP every day, but most of us live in the real world. One could even use your own stupid hyperbole against you, sacrificing accuracy for reliability. "Hay gais, I dun got the spr reliable gunz. I can't hit the broad side of Yankee Stadium with it, but it shoots every time. Is bttr than yrs." That's how you come across. That's how idiotic your trolling sounds to everybody else.

Quote:
You're fooling yourself keeping up with the cool rep you've built up just so you can talk about your almost reliable weapons over priced (the important part) accuracy.

Sounds Kool on the web, but you're just setting yourself up for failure, and loving every dollar you waste doing it.
Aw, did the mean cool kids with the AR-15's hurt your little feelings at the range one day, slugger? Cheer up buttercup, you can be cool to. Just set up a little blog about your feelings, and other people with feelings will post there too, and comment on how brave and courageous you are when you let the world know about your secret love of electronic dance music, Cher, and Judy Garland's fabulous ruby slippers.

Quote:
Here's where you save face and post some pics of your 97% reliable 1911. Pretty much all you got left. I bet it don't even have any holster wear, thems bonus Internet points right there.
You act like you've somehow won the internet, but you haven't added anything of value. You just came in, talked **** while using laughable hyperbole, and didn't go away. You're the one who doesn't have anything going on, and your participation here has been dysmally pathetic. But hey, maybe you'll get it next time, champ. Keep swingin for the fences.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:
lol, that's cute. Outside of some body armor, I haven't had or worn anything tactical in 8 years, when I was in the US Army. The range is far from sterile. Dirt and sand is everywhere there, but guess where most self dense shootings happen? Sterile environments, like inside the home or buildings, and on the streets of a city. They aren't using a weapon they haven't been able to clean after emptying 4+ mags, or has been waded through marsh water, or is choked with sand, mud, or debris, or any other extreme conditions that the majority of firearms will never be subjected to.

You need to get educated, kid. How much oil do you think a pistol needs to cycle properly? You just need a thin film. You may be dumb enough to dump your modern pistols in a bucket of CLP every day, but most of us live in the real world. One could even use your own stupid hyperbole against you, sacrificing accuracy for reliability. "Hay gais, I dun got the spr reliable gunz. I can't hit the broad side of Yankee Stadium with it, but it shoots every time. Is bttr than yrs." That's how you come across. That's how idiotic your trolling sounds to everybody else.

Aw, did the mean cool kids with the AR-15's hurt your little feelings at the range one day, slugger? Cheer up buttercup, you can be cool to. Just set up a little blog about your feelings, and other people with feelings will post there too, and comment on how brave and courageous you are when you let the world know about your secret love of electronic dance music, Cher, and Judy Garland's fabulous ruby slippers.

You act like you've somehow won the internet, but you haven't added anything of value. You just came in, talked **** while using laughable hyperbole, and didn't go away. You're the one who doesn't have anything going on, and your participation here has been dysmally pathetic. But hey, maybe you'll get it next time, champ. Keep swingin for the fences.

This is what happens when your personal defense weapon is only 97% reliable.

Your assertion that reliable is equal to not being able to hit anything shows the rest of your pedigree. Remember now, them real men in dhubblyah dhubblyah twho used original spec 1911s, not out of spec magazine pretty ones.

The way your talking, we'd be lucky to get a pic of your airsoft 1911 you got in a two pack at Walmart for $19.99. You do an awful lot of big talk that looks like nothing but regurgitated Internet talk.

You need to calm down. If you can't hit a man sized target at 50 yards with a milspec 1911 then do some practicing. The gun is fully capable of it. You don't need to compensate by getting a MOA 1911, you still won't hit that target at 50 if you do.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Appalachian Adventurer

Guys, come on. This isn't supposed to be done p*$&ing match over ideology on firearms or some personal affectation on your parts. This is simply a test and review of a product.

The point of this isn't to claim it's superior to any other 1911. I just wanted to see how well it worked.

If you're going to devolve to insult throwing please use messages.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argartis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,339 Times in 11,461 Posts

I bought mine from a customer, a rock island GI, when I got it, he sold it to me for 125$ because it continually Jammed, but seeing they had been less than a box of rounds ran thru it, (hes the impatient type) I bought it, and took it out back. first thing i noticed was when I jacked a round it, it bopped 2 out of the 8 round magazine. Put a GI surplus 7 rounder in, not a single lick of trouble in 1000 rounds. No sign of wear, yep slide is a lil sloppy, bout the same as my original colt.. But its just as accurate. only parts i ever changed were Magazines, Grips, and the Barrel bushing ( thats on me, nothing wrong, im just OCD about fit)

I was told it wouldn't live as long, cast frame, But hey way its going its going to outlive me. I think that rumor came about cause they had one frame crack at 10,000 sustained rounds.

yea, I would buy another one at full price.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post: