Simple and Cheap Shotgun reloading setup - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simple and cheap preps Walleye Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 02-26-2016 10:07 PM
What is the most simple all around bait/setup to use for fish? Everymanalion Boating and Fishing 48 02-18-2016 06:44 PM
Cheapest reloading setup .45 ACP Firearms General Discussion 34 12-18-2015 03:16 PM
My simple solar setup for the RV video Sturedman DIY - Do It Yourself 0 09-11-2014 08:20 AM
A simple, single Solar Panel setup? ohBehave Urban Survival 41 07-31-2014 04:59 PM
My simple solar panel RV setup - Easily scaled up willthrill81 DIY - Do It Yourself 3 07-30-2014 08:22 PM
Simple cheap preps NorthernLAprepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 10-29-2013 10:08 AM
Shotgun Reloading Setup Malaz Shotgun Forum 9 12-02-2012 08:39 PM
How much does a basic reloading setup cost? A-Team Shotgun Forum 16 05-15-2011 03:05 PM
Please help me spec a Lee reloading setup on Midway veganfarmer Firearms General Discussion 6 11-22-2010 03:11 PM

Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,400 Times in 2,887 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsSurvivalOutdoors View Post
I think I'm just going to buy the 20 gauge press, since the 20 gauge is the only shotgun I have.
Not going to quote the two users posting prices after me but I need to clarify.

The price I mentioned at 59.95 was the 20 gauge Lee Load All II that I had looked up at Cabela's when I made my post. (Had to, I bought mine for 24.95 in 82?).

The other poster after me might have found a cheaper price or was looking at a price of the 12 gauge.

Cabela's has them listed as $49.95 for 12 gauge or $59.95 for 20 gauge. Yes, you might find a better price but I just looked quick to get an idea what the current price was.

The $22 for 20 gauge conversion kit is for people like me who already have a lee load all and just want to convert. Not sure what Cabela's has that listed for. Buying the 20 gauge straight up actually might cost $10 more but then you don't have to spend $22 to convert.

The Lee Works fine IMO, I shot Trap League for 3 years and reloaded all of mine and my father's hunting/Target rounds over the last 34 years. I would be safe to say well over 10,000 rounds were reloaded with that thing and I still use it, although I'm not sure if they are the same quality as they were 34 years
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 PM

As many others have stated...
Keep it simple for one gauge...the Lee Load-All can't be beat, very compact, simple, Very portable, and "cave-man proof"...now I have ammo plants, Mec, etc..but I used the Load-all for 20 years, loading 4 boxes of 12 gauge per hour at leasurely pace....The MECs are also very good...you do not have to spend a lot of money for this....just get Lee Shotshell guide, but what comes with the load all is more than adequate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boatman642 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman642 View Post
, but what comes with the load all is more than adequate.
This ^^^

I just mentioned the Lyman's because it gives you verified load data on everything plus average FPS of each load.

But the more I think about it you really don't need more unless you really get serious. Or you can find somebody to share their book. Or find someone like me that has two. The one I'd be willing to part with is the 1982 version, but hey it's a start.

Back in our day we didn't have this fancy internet where you can do research. I just wonder about the verified accuracy of internet recipes.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Survivor

Or actually, I'll just cut the pages out of my follow up edition (which I am sure is 2 or 3 editions ago) for 20 gauge and send it to you via USPS. It's only a couple of pages, maybe 2 stamps at the most. There you already saved $20. Not sure of the current price on that either, God, I'm starting to show my age, lol.

The Lyman's manual has alot of extra fluff you won't need as a Lee user. In fact, at age 14 (I had no family or friends that reloaded to guide me) I found it confusing reading on how to reload because they used a MEC. I finally stopped reading and focused on the Lee Load All directions.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 17,861 Times in 6,104 Posts

Quote:
Ya sadly the only lee loaders I could find were in pistol and rifle calibers. I'm thinking of putting a kit together like Dave Cantenbury's ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Q5G_HR4LU )

Thanks for the help.

keep looking - they come up for sale on Gunbroker and even evilBay from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 AM
Target Shooter

Lee actually sells factory scratched items for about half price. You just contact Lee itself and see if they have any available. That's how I got my load master, half price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Henre' Neville For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,415 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Will I need something to weigh my loads? Or does something come with the lee loader to do that with?
Lee comes with bushings to measure the shot and powder by volume - it's close enough a lee is quite conservative - you won't get max power BUT you won't blow yourself up either - assuming you use reasonable care
The Following User Says Thank You to wtr100 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM

It depends what you want to do. DIRT CHEAP you can do with hand tools.

I'd caution you that with the price of lead these days, it's only slightly better to load bird shot yourself vs buying in bulk. On the other hand if you want to do 00 buck or slugs and cast them yourself you can save money.

I use a Lee Loadall to load slugs that I cast with a Lee 7/8th oz slug mold.

I'd advise you to also look at the recipes BEFORE buying wads/shells/primers/powders. It's somewhat complicated in the sense that you really shouldn't substitute. In my case I bought TiteWad only to discover it's too fast a burn for slugs so now I have HS6. My titewad is for skeet loads and the HS6 is for slugs and buck shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmerc View Post
It depends what you want to do. DIRT CHEAP you can do with hand tools.

I'd caution you that with the price of lead these days, it's only slightly better to load bird shot yourself vs buying in bulk. On the other hand if you want to do 00 buck or slugs and cast them yourself you can save money.

I use a Lee Loadall to load slugs that I cast with a Lee 7/8th oz slug mold.

I'd advise you to also look at the recipes BEFORE buying wads/shells/primers/powders. It's somewhat complicated in the sense that you really shouldn't substitute. In my case I bought TiteWad only to discover it's too fast a burn for slugs so now I have HS6. My titewad is for skeet loads and the HS6 is for slugs and buck shot.
What do you mean dirt cheap? How cheap?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
What do you mean dirt cheap? How cheap?
If you look online Lee had a hand crimp tool and you could use that for shot loads. You can make slug loads with a rim crimp or no crimp at all.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to netmerc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,866 Times in 2,296 Posts

The LoadAll, take a 1/4" thick piece of ply or particle board just big enough to cover the bottom. Screw that tight into place on the LoadAll and trim it all around so it's exactly the size of the base. Now remove it and tack a sandbag etc to that board. With that in place on the base, you can use that loader comfortably on your thigh as you watch tv. A leather or sturdy canvas piece with a piece of high density foam works, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM

Another vote for Mec. I bought a used mec jr off Craigslist for $50, that came with 500 hulls, 300 wads, 5 pounds of shot and some extra bushings and charge bars.
There are bargins out there have to be patient and watch every day.

Recently bought two more $20 each, set one up for 410.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deib For This Useful Post: