Survivalist Forum banner

What is your preference for AR mags?

AR mags

4K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  strokes762 
#1 ·
What is your preference for AR mags? Why? What kind of failures have you seen with various mags (ex. Lancer WF mags supposedly have issues in freezing weather, pmags supposedly split at the feedlip, Ive had a few Troy Battle mags break at the base, etc)

I own a few different types but mostly Pmags and some aluminum D&H mags, now.

#2 ·
Equal opportunity magazine buyer here. As long as its not ProMag, I'll usually buy it and try it.

I'm a fan of the inexpensive USGI style Aluminium Mags available from PSA.

I've bought a few HK steel mags, and like to refer to them as the AK mags of the AR world.

I've bought Magpul mags, and although I'm not a huge fan, they have a solid fan base, and wanted to store some a rainy day.

In the end, buy everything you can afford. We will look back on these days and curse ourselves for not buying these mags that are under 10 bucks a pop.

#3 ·
Aluminum GI mags with anti-tilt follower are the best for the cost IMO. Generally $5 used or $10 new.

I'd put PMAGS next. Often $7-10.

Bought Hexmags and stored them loaded. Feed lips seemed to weaken and ammo fell out too easily.

Have some Lancers, but no opinion.

No opinion on HK mags. But they are expensive and I don't see the point of spending more than on GI mags which are the gold standard IMO.

THE WORST and avoid at all costs - Promag, USA Mag... garbage.

#5 ·
I have some Pmags but many more GI aluminum mags. The GI mags are easier to fit in many mag pouches, especially surplus mag pouches.

Pmags are known to spread the feed lips if kept stored fully loaded - that's why some of them come with those caps. They're not dust covers, they're meant to relieve pressure on the feed lips. To me, that's a fault. I don't have many of those caps and I don't use them anyway. What a PITA in mag pouches!

I have one steel HK mag and it is a half inch longer than a GI mag. Those things are like 40 bucks a pop. They seem to work though.

Lately I've decided that I have enough Pmags and aluminum GI mags, so all my future purchases will be the ASC steel GI mags. I like them. So I guess I prefer GI style mags over Pmags.

Except for in the 308. With those I like the Pmags better, and they have 25 rd versions.

#12 ·
The only Mags I have experience with besides Gen III PMags is the ones we were issued with our M16-A1s. Those Metal GI Mags were Junk and cause lots of FTFs, Double Feeds and Jams. The reason I chose PMags is because I read a lot about them and Magpul makes some good quality products. Ive never had any problems with their Quality and Function when Stripped and Dry Lubed. Yes we should all strip and clean our Mags from time to time. Dry Lube helps also.

On a Funny Note. I still have Dreams where we are being Overun and the floorplate of my metal mag slips out and "ZING" the spring, follower and all the rounds fall out the bottom. LOL The only good thing about the dream is that Im 17 again, if that's a good thing.

#15 ·
The problem with the old metal GI mags were the green tilt followers. If you replace those with modern anti-tilt followers the mag reliability increases to nearly 100%. That little extra plastic lip (probably a 1 penny manufacturing cost) makes the difference in reliability. I would never again rely on the old green tilt style. Total garbage and weak link in the entire weapon system.

#13 ·
Aluminum Colt and D&H are very good. Ive used them for over 20 years, several have lasted 10 plus years. You need to keep an eye on the lips. They can bend when they hit the deck. I’ve also seen a few split, but they were the oldest.
PMAG gen3 are great. No issues so far. I did have issues with new gens splitting and wearing faster than my aluminum mags. Bolt wouldn’t lock back after last round.
HK Steel Mags, so far so good. Going to increase your weight. May or may not be an issue for you.
Can’t emphasize enough that you use your new mags to make sure they work, ( I’ve had new aluminum mags not work, bad followers). Also, inspect after every use, especially if dropping them to the ground practicing reloads etc.

#14 ·
I didn’t know what aluminum meant so I went with other.
USGI is my preferance.
If they have the old green or black followers I swap them out with Magpul ones, the tan followers I’ve never had a problem with.
As mentioned they fit into many storage products better than many aftermarket mags.

I prefer USGI but I have many other different brands/types of mags.
Pmags being the majority holder of my stock.

#20 ·
My main experience long term has been with USGI and then the DH from PSA, I also have magpul and Troy.I have never had faults with any of the above. The mags I have are gen 1s. I like them fine but just stick with the USGI. They work well and I don't see the need to go with the newest fad just because of a name. The only reason I have other than the USGI is buying and stashing more when I find a deal. If I were new into buying mags for these rifles today, I would buy as many DH from PSA as I could afford. They often have sales on these as well.

#21 ·
The last batch of D&H mags I bought from Palmetto had sloppy spot welds where there were sharp raised edges around the spots and the overlapped seam wasn’t tight on some of them.
I cleaned up the welds and wrapped most of them in duct tape.

Maybe they were from a Friday night or Monday morning batch but I was disappointed enough to not buy them again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.