Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-14-2020, 01:07 AM
Prepared

Default Law Enforcement Response, All Stages

Advertise Here

As I've mentioned in a previous post in the BIG THREAD, I've been bugging-in for about week to minimize inter-person contact, and I am fortunate enough to have a job that transitions easily to working-from-home for a month or more.

However, SO has been maintaining her position in the local hospital one town over (Denver outskirts). Yesterday she was informed that there are multiple COVID-19 patients in the ICU unit of her hospital. She notified her supervisor that she was resigning effective immediately to prevent exposure to herself and to myself (we both have multiple risk factors). Four (4) hours later, I'm coming home after picking up my albuterol, and I see one (1) patrol car parked on the corner and one (1) more down the street, both bracketing my house. As I continue down my street, I see a deputy standing on my front porch. I pull into the driveway (but do NOT open the garage), turn the car off and throw the keys onto the dashboard in front of me. I roll down my window and loudly ask the Porch Deputy if everything is ok, to which he reponds he'll "be with me in a second". I remain in my car, and more time goes by before Sergeant and Trainee Deputy reveal themselves and ask me to step out of the vehicle.

I notify them first that I will comply with their orders, but I am in current possession of a legally-permitted concealed-carry pistol, located on my right hip. Sergeant says "don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine." I replied, "Sir, my wallet is back there, and you're gonna ask me to reach back for ID there at some point, so...I'm gonna open this door (both hands outside the window) and step out and you can disarm me and we can continue this conversation without either of us being worried about being shot."

He disarms me, throws my pistol in the driver's seat and directs me to the front of the vehicle. He also pulled my pocketknife since the clip was showing, but I was surprised he didn't do a full frisk/search. I wish he would have, because then I could keep my hands in my hoodie pockets in the 40deg weather. He informs me they were called-out to do a "Wellness Check" on SO after her boss reported that she quit under "UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES". He asks for ID, and I provide driver's license and current CCW permit, which he and Porch Deputy go off to run.

It comes back clean (of course).

Apparently PD was at my house for about 30 min before I got home, during which time SO repeately denied their requests to further search the premises. SO let them into the main entryway (something I'm going to have to talk to her about) but that's as far as they got before she denied any further requests and waited for me to get home

Sergeant comes back and gets in my face, with both Porch Deputy and Trainee Deputy with palms on the butts of their service pistols on either side of him (we're still outside in front of my car), saying that his alarms are going off and he doesn't believe anything me or SO have told him (why I don't know...he's being very aggressive and clearly trying to antagonize me into a response that will grant him probable cause). But he informs me that SO has refused him the ability to search the premises (as is her right), and I then informed him that we've done nothing wrong and I am also refusing further searches (as is my right). At that point he hands me back my driver's license and tells me to have a good day, all three (3) of them turn and two (2) go left, one (1) goes right to the corner patrol car. Turning back, Sergeant says "don't go for your gun until we're gone."

"Don't worry, I ain't even gonna move until you're gone."

I tell him to also have a good day and to stay safe out there. 15 seconds until they're gone, I grab my pistol and head inside my house.

Well, THAT was interesting.

Was it (poorly-executed) intimidation meant to convey that we should be quiet about what's going on in our local hospital, or just a petty and vengeful ex-boss? (I should note, SO works in a non-trauma/non-ER section of the hospital so isn't exactly on the front lines of our local COVID-19 response).

What have you guys seen in terms of local law enforcement activities?

EDIT: we live in a very small town on the outskirts of Denver, which has been blowing-up in number of cases in the last 1-2 days.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FrakkingToaster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 01:47 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,371 Times in 457 Posts

I had to file a theft of service report on a water meter today. I talked to the office about any chaos in town being I was only a mile from my home. He said it's been calm except for the usual stuff. A 90 unit ground level apartment complex is going in. He said if the contractor doesn't get rock on the walls within a day of the plumbing and electric, thieves are stripping the copper. No incidents at any local grocery stores yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,724 Times in 9,266 Posts

Sounds like a vindictive boss. I'm sure she gave them a hell of a good story to get the response. They probably had zero idea what was actually going on. Her boss better get used to it. There's going to be more like your SO as staff start getting sick.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2020, 06:24 AM

My fiance is a charge RN at a local hospital. Yesterday, out of an abundance of caution, she donned an N95 mask for her shift. Admin asked her to remove it, stating low supply. An hour later, I brought her one from our own supply. She also was forced to remove that one, citing it may cause panic amongst other employees. She complied out of fear of losing her job. She is also an infectious control nurse, and pushed back, citing hospitals lack of procedures to control flow of traffic into hospital, and no screening procedures. POTUS declares emergency. Hospital,then, begins emergency procedures. Shes back at work this morning, wearing a mask. She will walk out if confronted again. Maybe I will get a visit later. You handled your situation perfectly, and it gives me a quick lesson about handling my emotions. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bumpedmyhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,494 Times in 9,822 Posts

From what I have heard hospital management and nurse management has been engaging in a lot of fear and bullying techniques for a very long time with the nurses. Fear of losing the job, etc... really keeps them in line.

That's why your girl had such trouble when she did quit. They wanted to punish her.

Edit to add, I could see the police dragging nurses and medical staff into work regardless of them wanting to. "For the good of the patients". Like a 911 worker even though no one is coming if I call, from what I hear.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the rice field

Thanked 5,037 Times in 1,431 Posts

Sounds like your wife has been accused of theft (probably drugs) or some kind of abusive situation has been alleged. My wife is also a nurse in Colorado. Her employer does non-essential medical procedures and is currently shut down. I do not believe the police are coordinating with hospitals to keep medical personnel on the job through intimidation. Hospital staff have drama just like everyone else and someone being vindictive probably made the allegations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
From what I have heard hospital management and nurse management has been engaging in a lot of fear and bullying techniques for a very long time with the nurses. Fear of losing the job, etc... really keeps them in line.

That's why your girl had such trouble when she did quit. They wanted to punish her.

Edit to add, I could see the police dragging nurses and medical staff into work regardless of them wanting to. "For the good of the patients". Like a 911 worker even though no one is coming if I call, from what I hear.
Average salary for an RN in Colorado is 72K. It's competitive. They don't need to intimidate staff to keep them on the job. Especially in uncertain economic times. The vast majority are quite heroic in their willingness to deal with this China plague. Baseless conspiracy claims like this doesn't help anyone.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 11:52 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Average salary for an RN in Colorado is 72K. It's competitive. They don't need to intimidate staff to keep them on the job. Especially in uncertain economic times. The vast majority are quite heroic in their willingness to deal with this China plague. Baseless conspiracy claims like this doesn't help anyone.
True, salary is competitive but that's because it has to be...turnover is so high for nursing, scrub-tech, and housekeeping staff in OR settings because these places treat their front-line employees like garbage (unless you're a doctor) and don't see them as anything other than a numbered line on their ledger. EDIT: I recall SO has worked several jobs where she wasn't even really allowed bathroom breaks (it was go go go all the time to maximize profit), and as my shocked face regained composure I told her that's illegal, and she just shrugged it off and said, "yeah sure, on paper, but sometimes that's just how things work if you wanna keep your job." Actual Physical Abuse by an attending doctor is apparently kinda just an accepted part of the job as well, it's pretty ***ed up if you ask me.

But we're supposed to STAND BY THE COMPANY even when they're not looking out for us in these weird times? SO said people around the hospital aren't taking COVID-19 very seriously, despite having multiple ICU cases right in their laps.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FrakkingToaster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2020, 02:57 PM

Wow, what an absurd scenario. Thanks for sharing, you handled it very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to mill321 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the rice field

Thanked 5,037 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrakkingToaster View Post
True, salary is competitive but that's because it has to be...turnover is so high for nursing, scrub-tech, and housekeeping staff in OR settings because these places treat their front-line employees like garbage (unless you're a doctor) and don't see them as anything other than a numbered line on their ledger. EDIT: I recall SO has worked several jobs where she wasn't even really allowed bathroom breaks (it was go go go all the time to maximize profit), and as my shocked face regained composure I told her that's illegal, and she just shrugged it off and said, "yeah sure, on paper, but sometimes that's just how things work if you wanna keep your job." Actual Physical Abuse by an attending doctor is apparently kinda just an accepted part of the job as well, it's pretty ***ed up if you ask me.

But we're supposed to STAND BY THE COMPANY even when they're not looking out for us in these weird times? SO said people around the hospital aren't taking COVID-19 very seriously, despite having multiple ICU cases right in their laps.
Wide brush. I've seen bad and I've seen good. I was a CNA once upon a time. Worked geriatrics, TBI/spinal rehab, and hospice. I can tell you that BS would not fly everywhere. Sounds like your wife should've left a long time ago. People will treat you as bad as you let them. That doesn't excuse their behavior, but if you put up with it, you enable it. I hope you guys are doing well and I hope she finds a better place to work after all this if she goes back to it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 8,146 Times in 2,550 Posts

Our County Office of Emergency Management just dropped off HazMat suits for the First Responders. We were told to wear them if responding to any call with a fever involved.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Our County Office of Emergency Management just dropped off HazMat suits for the First Responders. We were told to wear them if responding to any call with a fever involved.
Good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumpedmyhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,494 Times in 9,822 Posts

Better late than never, better never late.

TBI, huh? I could use you around here some times. He was delusional earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
That doesn't excuse their behavior, but if you put up with it, you enable it.
Maybe "once upon a time" as you put it, but these days in the real world, if you don't put up with it, they just have HR sweep your response/complaint under the rug, fire your ass, and bring in a traveller. SO has worked level-1 trauma (in fact she TRAINED on level-1 trauma back in her home state long ago), L&D, ortho, spine, eyes, brain, ob/gyn, laparoscopics, robotics (you name it) as a scrub tech for the last 13 years, and it IS the same everywhere. Unless you're a doctor, you're seen as a tool or instrument, and if your tool starts wanting to be treated like a real person, you just chuck it and buy another tool. Less trouble that way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrakkingToaster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 10:32 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 60,106 Times in 13,586 Posts
Default As far as police response, what about NO response?

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...avirus-crisis/

Being let out of jail so they can go on to offend again.

What do you do when the cops DON'T come?

====

I guess that explains the run on guns and ammo.

==

Didn't we all see this coming?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,662 Times in 13,959 Posts

CODE ORANGE
That's what they used to call lock down at my hospital. Soon it won't be medical people quitting it will be medical people being arrested.
When they call a code orange and you are on the clock, it is against the law to leave. You will be stopped by security/LEO at the door and asked for your badge. When that lands on the nursing supervisors desk she can file charges of patient abandonment. You will be sent a registered letter from the hospital informing you that you will be sued by the hospital as well. This was explained at hiring and you sign it or walk then and there.
Maybe it won't mean as much when cops and lawyers are on restrictions like the rest of us, but I can almost guarantee if you walk out now, (especially from a level one trauma center) you are going to have your licence restricted, be placed on probation or have it revoked at some point in the future.
If any med people out there are feeling froggy, I suggest you put your 2 week notice in now, if you want a career in the future.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrakkingToaster View Post
As I've mentioned in a previous post in the BIG THREAD, I've been bugging-in for about week to minimize inter-person contact, and I am fortunate enough to have a job that transitions easily to working-from-home for a month or more.

However, SO has been maintaining her position in the local hospital one town over (Denver outskirts). Yesterday she was informed that there are multiple COVID-19 patients in the ICU unit of her hospital. She notified her supervisor that she was resigning effective immediately to prevent exposure to herself and to myself (we both have multiple risk factors). Four (4) hours later, I'm coming home after picking up my albuterol, and I see one (1) patrol car parked on the corner and one (1) more down the street, both bracketing my house. As I continue down my street, I see a deputy standing on my front porch. I pull into the driveway (but do NOT open the garage), turn the car off and throw the keys onto the dashboard in front of me. I roll down my window and loudly ask the Porch Deputy if everything is ok, to which he reponds he'll "be with me in a second". I remain in my car, and more time goes by before Sergeant and Trainee Deputy reveal themselves and ask me to step out of the vehicle.

I notify them first that I will comply with their orders, but I am in current possession of a legally-permitted concealed-carry pistol, located on my right hip. Sergeant says "don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine." I replied, "Sir, my wallet is back there, and you're gonna ask me to reach back for ID there at some point, so...I'm gonna open this door (both hands outside the window) and step out and you can disarm me and we can continue this conversation without either of us being worried about being shot."

He disarms me, throws my pistol in the driver's seat and directs me to the front of the vehicle. He also pulled my pocketknife since the clip was showing, but I was surprised he didn't do a full frisk/search. I wish he would have, because then I could keep my hands in my hoodie pockets in the 40deg weather. He informs me they were called-out to do a "Wellness Check" on SO after her boss reported that she quit under "UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES". He asks for ID, and I provide driver's license and current CCW permit, which he and Porch Deputy go off to run.

It comes back clean (of course).

Apparently PD was at my house for about 30 min before I got home, during which time SO repeately denied their requests to further search the premises. SO let them into the main entryway (something I'm going to have to talk to her about) but that's as far as they got before she denied any further requests and waited for me to get home

Sergeant comes back and gets in my face, with both Porch Deputy and Trainee Deputy with palms on the butts of their service pistols on either side of him (we're still outside in front of my car), saying that his alarms are going off and he doesn't believe anything me or SO have told him (why I don't know...he's being very aggressive and clearly trying to antagonize me into a response that will grant him probable cause). But he informs me that SO has refused him the ability to search the premises (as is her right), and I then informed him that we've done nothing wrong and I am also refusing further searches (as is my right). At that point he hands me back my driver's license and tells me to have a good day, all three (3) of them turn and two (2) go left, one (1) goes right to the corner patrol car. Turning back, Sergeant says "don't go for your gun until we're gone."

"Don't worry, I ain't even gonna move until you're gone."

I tell him to also have a good day and to stay safe out there. 15 seconds until they're gone, I grab my pistol and head inside my house.

Well, THAT was interesting.

Was it (poorly-executed) intimidation meant to convey that we should be quiet about what's going on in our local hospital, or just a petty and vengeful ex-boss? (I should note, SO works in a non-trauma/non-ER section of the hospital so isn't exactly on the front lines of our local COVID-19 response).

What have you guys seen in terms of local law enforcement activities?

EDIT: we live in a very small town on the outskirts of Denver, which has been blowing-up in number of cases in the last 1-2 days.
Sounds like a little of both.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,662 Times in 13,959 Posts

Retired nurse - IF you want a cushy, safe, nursing job, work in an office.
The time to choose family or a career is before you go to work in a position that demands your presence in dangerous and emergency situations.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 03:13 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,428 Times in 2,830 Posts

MY WIFE was the charge nurse in one of our biggest hospitals in the ER, 2nd shift, one of the busiest hospitals in the city... and NO ONE intimidated her.Doctors asked her "Where do I need to go now?"

HEad nurse types like that do not take crap, they give it.

WHen we got married and I moved her out of the city to our place up north the hospital staff told me to never show up for treatment again because I took her away. They were upset to say the least.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,428 Times in 2,830 Posts

AS FOR the LE..
WHO knows the back story they were fed to cause their arrival there.

Just be glad you weren't "SWATTED"
you know, someone calls in anonymously to report some evil dangerous people and give just enough information to give the officers a shot at a SW, then the fun begins
and
it was all false but the cops don't know until they get there.

You would be amazed the crap.
When I was with the SO we got a call of a family trouble, a little violence, no guns involved. the call was from upset wife.
then
upset wife calls husband who is an ex-con and tells him that she ratted him out for all the illegal things they were doing including having several forbidden guns and that we were gonna come in hot and probably kill him.

SO

she worked him into a froth and as we approach he steps out the door with a shotgun. and ..we are all going WTF????????
but, nobody drew because nothing was making sense and he didn't pull the trigger.
We talked, we backed out and no one died

Her story later.. she was hoping he would open fire on us and we would kill him so she could collect on insurance and not go through a divorce.

The cops never know what they are facing until they get both sides, but they have to be prepared.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,571 Times in 6,755 Posts

This situation tends to wind people up a bit too tight.

As Jojo said, it's just started. Lots left to come.

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-18-2020 at 06:50 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post: