Changed my mind on Cannabis ; 'Neighborhood Skunkworks' - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,526 Times in 2,926 Posts
Default Changed my mind on Cannabis ; 'Neighborhood Skunkworks'

Advertise Here

So when states were voting for marijuana legalization. I said why not. More tax revenue and if stoners want to, let them.

I'm an original Libertarian, read: On liberty by John Stuart Mill. Not the Libertarian party of the last few years that has evolved into a legalize marijuana group, but rather if it doesn't impact anyone you should have the right.

So that's where I am still at. But it literally smells like Skunk around here now. Currently at my place in the upper mojave of CA.

About 6 months ago someone bought an old property about 1/4 mile away. It was already fenced with livestock fence and had utilities and a well. They brought in equipment to dig what looked like a basement for a house, which was kind of odd because 99.99 percent of the houses in the desert don't have basements. They then erected a privacy fence around the entire dig and construction continued. Thought it was some kind of fencing for dust abatement. Or maybe it was some preppers building an underground bunker, cool.

Well they continued to have their RV's parked outside the wood fencing. Now apparently their entire operation must be in full swing because the smell of that skunkweed is so bad it makes my eyes water and I wake up with headaches.

Kern County does not allow Co-op grows so the limit is 6 plants per household. The guy about 200 yards away has been growing 6 plants for medicinal purposes for a couple of years and I have never smelled it So it's obvious this is an illegal grow.

Apparently a bunch of neighbors have called the Sheriff office and nothing can be done until they have proof of illegal sales. Smell alone is not grounds for a search warrant, since you are allowed 6 plants.

Ironically I saw a small drone flying down that way a week ago. The neighbor has one, but when I asked him he said he hasn't had his out for over a month. So apparently they flew overhead to see if they could get proof, but if it was covered with sunscreen I doubt that would give them enough evidence.

Anyways, this has gone from personal liberties to infringing on neighbors very quickly. I wasn't planning on heading for N. Wis until July 1st but something around here smells like a skunk and I've got to go.

Last edited by swen_out_west; 06-05-2019 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: changing thread title ; subtitled 'Neighborhood Skunkworks'
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,229 Times in 4,923 Posts

And everyone flips out on me when I complain about my neighbors dogs barking and stinking up my place...

They should be along soon to tell you to suck it up.

Now, as for weed and the libertarians, thatís the problem, as you have found out, itís not just a bunch of stoners sitting around at home smoking a bowl.
Itís stoners that are taking their hobby to the streets and affecting others.m

Iíd have no problem with potheads if they kept to themselves, but theyíre like gays, hey just have to make sure everyone thinks they are normal or they will constantly tell you they are.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,773 Times in 4,555 Posts

The legalization crowd told me for years "legalize pot and treat it like tobacco or alcohol".

Okay.

Booze is carefully regulated, heavily taxed and appropriately treated like the food industry. Cigarettes are even more regulated, taxed to the moon and smokers are treated like lepers. Politicians fall over themselves voting for "sin taxes" and the voters love those taxes too.

That's fair and that's what the pro-legalization crowd demanded.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,079 Times in 23,815 Posts

Making it illegal did nothing to stop its use. The only thing that did was make the drug smugglers and dealers rich. And with their money, they could then bribe our government officials.

So I am all for legalizing and taxing it. Treat it just like alcohol. No driving impaired. No public intoxication. This puts the money back in our government, and stops funding the violent drug rings.

And the police and the courts have better things to do than mess the the hundreds of thousands of annual pot citations and arrests.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,860 Times in 5,940 Posts

Have you talked to them about the smell?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Survivor

One of the neighbors tried talking to them, they refused to come out to the gate.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Hiker

I don't like MJ or have much use for potheads but as someone who holds individual liberties sacred I look at it from a different angle. My buddy had a 40 acre farm in the country. A liberal couple from Portland bought the property across the road. My buddy had a 100 yard shooting range with a berm facing away from the road and enjoyed shooting fairly regularly during daylight hours. The couple used to call the Sheriff on him at least once a week because of the sound. Now replace sound with smell and the argument you might make is not far off from the argument they made which in their case got zero traction.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nightvisionary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,710 Times in 9,420 Posts

I agree with the OP.

I am a libertarian at heart. Freedoms as long as they don't impede or harm others, basically.

I also believe in legalizing drugs, or at least the mild and helpful ones like THC. The tax revenue is good too, and it fights against illegal drug markets.

But I agree that the damage to people, exploding socio-economic problems, and the constant skunk smell are extremely bad secondary effects.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,926 Times in 9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
I don't like MJ or have much use for potheads but as someone who holds individual liberties sacred I look at it from a different angle. My buddy had a 40 acre farm in the country. A liberal couple from Portland bought the property across the road. My buddy had a 100 yard shooting range with a berm facing away from the road and enjoyed shooting fairly regularly during daylight hours. The couple used to call the Sheriff on him at least once a week because of the sound. Now replace sound with smell and the argument you might make is not far off from the argument they made which in their case got zero traction.
Yep. As Putnam says: Suck it up.

Would you say the same thing if your neighbor was using manure to fertilize? It's agriculture. Sometimes your neighbor's crops are a mild inconvenience. Sometimes they're seriously unpleasant. How about a CAFO or just generally smelly livestock farm? Sometimes they're a serious health hazard, like when they're spraying pesticide on their crops and it's drifting right on you sitting on your porch. If that's not worthy of intervention, an unpleasant smell sure isn't.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Survivor

I get it and thus the reason I was venting more than anything.

But bear in mind that this is obviously an illegal operation that is hiding under the new laws of CA. Basically they are using the law to hide right under the Kern County Sheriff's nose.

The point also was that there's definitely something skunky about this whole legalization of marijuana.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 38,926 Times in 9,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swen_out_west View Post
I get it and thus the reason I was venting more than anything.

But bear in mind that this is obviously an illegal operation that is hiding under the new laws of CA. Basically they are using the law to hide right under the Kern County Sheriff's nose.

The point also was that there's definitely something skunky about this whole legalization of marijuana.
Yeah. It's probably an illegal grow. If the deputies can get a way in, cool. But if not, you're just kind of stuck with it.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,704 Times in 793 Posts

Who cares about liquor stores on every corner, wine and beer sold in grocery stores, turd smelling cigarettes and cigars everywhere you go. What about drunks on the road every weekend staggering out of sports bars, and the body count and expense associated with tobacco and booze.
But God forbid that some stoner smokes a joint and spaces out on music.
As far as the smell, people got used to cigarettes, diesel fumes from cars and trucks, and the coal-fired steam plant that provides electricity.
I could care less if alcohol, tobacco and booze were all prohibited, but don't make pot illegal unless you do the same for the rest, which is how I'd handle the problem if I had the power to do it.
I dated a broad once who would act like she was getting nerve-gassed every time she smelled a cigarette. Problem was, she worked in a bar where she had to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to drop off her booze orders.
She said that she could handle the smoke as long as she got paid, but didn't believe that she should have to smell it on her own time.
Truth was that she was a crybaby who was always looking for something to complain about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 01:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,860 Times in 5,940 Posts

I think op is talking about the overwhelming smell of a grow operation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 AM
Survivor

Exactly, it's called skunkweed for a reason nowadays. The smell of it burning really isn't all that bad and it dissipates, the younger patrons smoke it out on the deck of the local bar all the time, it's not a big deal. This grow operation in the middle of bloom is horrendous. My girlfriend said tonight she won't be coming to my place until bud season is over.

I just heard from a neighbor at midnight that they just moved the 90 year old lady out of her house on the property one over because she has become so ill from allergies directly related to this skunkweed bloom.

This is not six plants as the law specifies. Not from a quarter of a mile away.

What makes matters worse is that summer in the high desert is upon us, with the late seasonal weather we've been having it finally is in the 90's starting today and by Friday the 100 to 115 degree weather for the next 3 months is upon us. The AC's and swamp coolers are drawing it into the houses. It's just exasperating the problem.

Hey I was just venting, it's not a big deal to me. Yeah it's obnoxious and is giving me headaches, but yes I was sucking it up and was just using this thread to vent. Apparently some neighbors are gathering up the pitchforks and torches as I type this. It looks like they're gonna have themselves an old fashioned vigilante party. If they burn that place down like they are threatening, I'll be higher than a kite by morning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to swen_out_west For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:32 AM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 35,308 Times in 9,510 Posts

You do have the option of burning the whole operation down with everyone in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dudeman351 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,229 Times in 4,923 Posts

So it seems legalization doesnít really stop people from doing illegal things.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
So it seems legalization doesn’t really stop people from doing illegal things.
Seems it's still restricted if it is still illegal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,010 Times in 3,205 Posts

If you like to eat bacon, you have to deal with the pig farms... Marijuana has its benefits, but it also has its disadvantages. Maybe one day they will have a GMO variety that removes the smell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 82,079 Times in 23,815 Posts

First time I heard that the plant smells bad while growing. Sheltered life I guess.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 AM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,707 Times in 10,730 Posts

Be careful of explosions and fires from the nuts trying to concentrate MJ into hash oil. Big upsurge of this happening in CA. With drug addicts it is never enough to simply use a drug. They are always seeking new highs. Most of the opiate problems was not from people using prescription opiates as prescribed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1T51F4
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post: