Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-30-2020, 07:44 PM

Default Opinions On Best M-65 Field Jackets

Advertise Here

I was looking for an M65 field jacket new not vintage and was wondering which is the best on the market. I now they are now made in China but was looking for your opinions on whats the one to buy
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2020, 04:29 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 30,401 Times in 8,231 Posts

Instead, get a Gortex military parka. They beat the hell out of M65 field jackets.

Use the search word on eBay "Gortex military parka".
Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,270 Times in 348 Posts

Rothco sucks, velcro on the sleeves is all wrong, lower pockets are positioned closer to the zipper, tie strings are super cheap, liner sleeve button loops are a step above single loop of thread. I bought a black one several years ago as a better casual coat instead of wearing my issued woodland camo jacket. Had it out last week thinking if I could take it somewhere and have the issues with the ends of the sleeves fixed. Started to replace the tie strings with parachord but decided to wait to see if the sleeves could be altered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traveler For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 AM
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcowboy58 View Post
I was looking for an M65 field jacket new not vintage and was wondering which is the best on the market. I now they are now made in China but was looking for your opinions on what's the one to buy
Try bdu.com for Propper brand M-65 field jackets. They carry them in a variety of colors and sizes. The normal cost is about $89.00. I believe they use US material and are sewn in the Caribbean. Propper makes a great deal of Mil-Spec issue clothing. YMMV

I have been wearing Propper brand Tactical Pants for 10+ years. They hold up extremely well...…..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tac Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Medic View Post
Try bdu.com for Propper brand M-65 field jackets. They carry them in a variety of colors and sizes. The normal cost is about $89.00. I believe they use US material and are sewn in the Caribbean. Propper makes a great deal of Mil-Spec issue clothing. YMMV

I have been wearing Propper brand Tactical Pants for 10+ years. They hold up extremely well...…..
Propper was going to be my post as well. Since there aren't many making the M-65 other than that, you could look to see where you can find a military surplus on, there are some still out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM
Hiker

And if you can find one, get a "Liner, Aircrew, Cold Weather, Woodland Camouflage" liner for it. The aircrew liner is aramid so it's flame resistant and it's a LOT warmer than the standard M-65 liner (about as warm as the new style Level 7 parkas, just heavier). Almost all of the button holes line up with the M-65 (all the important ones do) and it has elastic cuffs so it keeps cold air from going up your arm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghost792 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,846 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Medic View Post

The tactical pants look interesting but the waist size has quite a range. I kinda fall at the top of the medium and bottom of the large and don't want to hold my breath to fasten or have a baggy seat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 02:41 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Really depends what you want it for. Sitting around the campfire on a cool summer/fall evening, doing a bit of light yard work or short walk they'd be great. Walking through a rain storm, snow storm or even bitter cold, not so much. Yeah, I know, you can get the liner to make it warmer. I used to wear one of the brown 5 button sweaters under my BDU blouse & that would keep me warmer than the field jacket, even with the liner. As long as you know its limitations & use it accordingly then I'd say if you want it & can afford it, get it. Otherwise there's a lot better options out there.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,879 Posts

While I can't personally vouch for the quality of any of the M-65 jackets listed, I've bought from this site before and have been quite happy with everything...

https://www.military1st.com/clothing...s?cat=2051&p=2
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,064 Times in 3,976 Posts

The US military no longer issues the item, but the best current manufacturers are (in order):

1. Alpha Industries [the original suppliers of the M65 to the military; very spendy for a retro design
($200+), but arguably the most authentic version available]

2. Propper (makes a lot of current Berry compliant contracted gear/clothing for US military issue; generally the best for the money... $90). Their version of the M65 is manufactured off-shore and has plastic YKK zipper instead of the original brass design.

3. TruSpec [a slight step down in manufacturing/materials quality from Propper (TruSpec is often sourced from offshore) but a little cheaper... $70 on sale...otherwise ~$90]

Propper or Truspec? Ford vs. Chevy, but with a slight edge going to Propper in terms of durability. If you want an exact replica (or an original surplus copy) of the military version... Alpha is the only game in town. That's the version I actually owned/was issued back in the day.

I wouldn't buy an M65 from anyone else but those three. Most especially not from Rothco, whose clothing simply will not hold up to even light use and is often mis-sewn or mis-sized. I had a pair of Rothco 100% cotton ripstop OD BDU pants whose plastic pocket buttons simply "crumbled" and fell off the very first time I wore them. Cheap & shoddy materials.

My personal choice? Just go with Propper and call it a day. I've been well satisfied with their military uniform items (BDUs & ECWS Goretex Rainwear), both while serving on Active Duty and for civilian use.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 PM

I've seen them "used" at local surplus stores for a mere $25 (military issue, still with old unit patches and insignia on them), have to invest in another one (OD, BDU, or desert).
Old 04-06-2020, 12:56 AM

Well here is what I got. A Golden Mfg. Co. woodland camo. new old stock with brass zipper made in usa. Got it off ebay for $60.00 Then got a Tru-Spec from Sgt. Grit. cost $110.00. They are medium/regular. The Tru-Spec is a bit more roomy then the Golden. But it is not exactly mil-spec. The golden is goverment issue. Has a scovil zipper. I'm 5'9 210lbs and it fits...a little snug but thats how I like them. Plus I plan on knocking off about 25lbs. But the Tru-spec's fit is perfect. I hear the Alha is not mil spec any more it has now 2 inside pockets plus cost an arm and leg
Old 04-09-2020, 08:13 AM
"Do No Harm" Do Know Harm

Eddie T: "The tactical pants look interesting but the waist size has quite a range. I kinda fall at the top of the medium and bottom of the large and don't want to hold my breath to fasten or have a baggy seat".

These are the Tactical pants that I have been wearing for many moons. They are 65% poly and 35% cotton canvas. They take a beating and stand up very well.

As far as sizes, they come in a variety of waist and inseam combinations. I believe the one's that were referred to were the "military" bdu sizes, small-mediim-large, etc.

They have an "action waist" and a good amount of pockets-within-a-pocket.

https://www.propper.com/mens/pants/t...-canvas-1.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PropperTactical PantCanvas.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	301326  

Last edited by Tac Medic; 04-09-2020 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Modify percentages
The Following User Says Thank You to Tac Medic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 05:41 PM
Survivor

The M-65 design was ok decades ago, but unless you are in a cold rain (goretex parka) or doing dirty work (Carhartt) there are better alternatives. However, I used to wear mine when it was cold but you need a liner to maximize its effectiveness!

The absolute most inexpensive way to get one is a Goodwill outlet, I've found both M-65 field jackets and liners there. Takes a while to get both. I've got a few I've been trying to get rid of. I couldn't get rid of near new ones with appropriate sized liners for $20 at a gun show.

I like the newest ones with the non-metal zipper, seem to not bind up as much as the metal ones.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,912 Times in 790 Posts

As fond as I am of my GI issue M65s (got two OD and one woodland BDU) I have relegated mine to backup or fashion statement duties. One rides in the pickup along with the truck gun, tool chest, BOB, etc.

If you gotta have one, GI surplus seems to be the most economical means of scoring a quality product.
The Following User Says Thank You to arizonafusilier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 PM

As far as I am concerned, the M-65 needs to be left alone unless you have nothing else to fall back on. The only exception is the liner, it's awesome.

I will say that it depends on what your using it for. I like to be quiet when out and about. M-65s and Gortexs are terrible at this. They crinkle like a tarp. I hate that sound when trying to be out and about. Because of this, I refuse to own one. I'm also not impressed with their ability to keep out water. I used a Gortex thing for 4 years and couldn't figure out why I always had to re-waterproof it after every trip to the field.

That aside, get the liner. I love mine. Not only are they incredibly cheap, they're warm too. Basically a woobie with arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlinShooter44 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,392 Times in 2,492 Posts

I have two woodland versions, kept for sentimental reasons mostly, as I have better, warmer coats and jackets. If you have to go Mil surplus, get the Gortex Parka, if you need camo go to Cabelas and get a hunting coat.