Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Default Yaesu FT 4X Review - A Baofeng Killer?

Advertise Here

Good review of the FT 4X.

Video
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to k0diak314 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 07:18 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,581 Posts

For the price of 1 of those I could get 3 of the baofengs with either 8 watts or with a 3rd band. While it looks like it has a few nice features that the BF's don't, I don't think it's a BF killer by any means. If they got they got it up to 8watts or added a 3rd band (or both) it would help. Getting the price down a little bit more would help too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 11:10 PM

I own multiple Baeofengs and every Yaesu and Icom I own kicks the crap out of them. I'd MUCH rather have this Yaesu than the Baeofeng.

The Yaesu is a bargain at that price because it's a "real radio". Not to mention it's much easier to use and program.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gmcd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Rustler of jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcd View Post
I own multiple Baeofengs and every Yaesu and Icom I own kicks the crap out of them. I'd MUCH rather have this Yaesu than the Baeofeng.

The Yaesu is a bargain at that price because it's a "real radio". Not to mention it's much easier to use and program.
IMO its quality over price. I have two 'fengs but purely as backups...never really used them aside from programming them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k0diak314 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcd View Post
Not to mention it's much easier to use and program.
I never really understand this point. I've had zero problems programming my Baofengs, and CHIRP is free. Yaesu has a lot of different proprietary cables (that aren't exactly cheap) for their many models, they charge for their software, etc.

But I do think Baofengs are different products than dual-banders from the Big Three. Quantity has a quality all its own, and I can outfit an entire team with acceptable comms for the price of one Yaesu. Just like the Chevy Volts used in government fleets aren't the same product as Corvettes, even though they both have four wheels and move occupants.

So while the FT-4X looks like a nice product, I doubt the Big Three consider Baofeng their competitor in the HT market, or the Baofeng audience their target demographic. On the contrary, they probably appreciate Baofeng for offering a nearly-disposable product that gets people into the hobby so they'll become motivated to move up to better radios.

Baofengs are like the farm teams of MLB for "real" ham radio manufactures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,313 Posts

That's a good video, btw. Better than the silly ones he used to do, IMO.

"You know I like knobs," he says....

The P1 and P2 buttons look handy, and I like that the charger is 12V...but I wish you didn't need the cradle to charge, unlike the Baofeng's extended battery (link) that takes a USB cable directly (link), so I can charge it in my vehicle without a cradle.

The "proper manual" ("Baofengs don't have these") is a non-issue because Miklor.com provides them free for the Baofeng...although I like how Yaesu provides the spurious emissions info themselves.

I wish he had shown the options for hand mics. In a couple of the configurations I use the Baofengs in, the Code Red Signal 21 hand mics (link) makes it more convenient to use--in a vehicle with an external antenna, in a pouch on a backpack or plate carrier, etc.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,273 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
. Just like the Chevy Volts used in government fleets aren't the same product as Corvettes, even though they both have four wheels and move occupants.....
Not a great comparison to make your point. The Volt is an unmitigated piece of _____. Perhaps could compare it to an EZ-GO which is a quality product.