Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Prepared

Default Amateur radio

Advertise Here

I hold a Technician license and have for a little over a year and a half. I was wondering if there has been any efforts to organize the Ham operators in Oklahoma.
I used to attend meetings for the local Prepper group in my area (work issues have prevented me from attending in recent months) and I brought this question up with them and no one felt it was a need.

I feel it would be beneficial, but since I'm a relatively new Ham I could be wrong.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red Dirt Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,766 Times in 1,945 Posts

Some links for you:

http://www.aresok.org/

http://www.tulsahamradio.org/ARES/ares_links.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,381 Times in 8,122 Posts

Best I can tell for us with a Technician license there is little going on these days. I and been dormant for about 20 years I guess. It was hard to even make a net contact for a while.

My advice for us is to upgrade our licenses and buy a ton of expensive equipment or stick to cell phones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2020, 10:50 PM
Target Shooter

General license and no more than $2,000 for equipment and you will be set for life. I am.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,929 Times in 941 Posts

edprof is correct. General, $2k and you're pretty well set. Technology keeps changing and ham radio changes with it (usually before).

I'm an extra and like Palmetto I've been dormant for a few years now. If you're a ham for prepping being a general you're good to go but if you're doing it for a hobby then have some thick skin. Lots of jerks out there.

Most areas I've traveled to have a few ham radio clubs. Don't know your area but a quick google search on ham radio clubs lists quite a few OK groups. ARRL is also a good resource.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImbriD View Post
edprof is correct. General, $2k and you're pretty well set. Technology keeps changing and ham radio changes with it (usually before).

I'm an extra and like Palmetto I've been dormant for a few years now. If you're a ham for prepping being a general you're good to go but if you're doing it for a hobby then have some thick skin. Lots of jerks out there.

Most areas I've traveled to have a few ham radio clubs. Don't know your area but a quick google search on ham radio clubs lists quite a few OK groups. ARRL is also a good resource.
I am a member of a local club and I am among the youngest in the group at 48 years old. Preparedness doesn't seem to be on most members minds. I hear people that sound my age on some of the Nets that I haunt, but I have not met them.
As for the 2K, I still have a kid at home, mortgage, wife doesn't work so I don't have 2K to drop. Amateur radio is a slow process for me. I just got my first Dual Band mobile unit. Before this I was trying to use a HT unit.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:10 PM

Where in OK? I am a member of SCARS. We have 180 members of all ages.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofwife View Post
Where in OK? I am a member of SCARS. We have 180 members of all ages.
Not sure what SCARS is, but I live in the Tulsa area.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,133 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Walker View Post
As for the 2K, I still have a kid at home, mortgage, wife doesn't work so I don't have 2K to drop.
... And you don't need to.

FWIW, here are my "new ham" shopping tips:
  1. Join your local ham club. Once you're on a first-name basis with the other hams in your neighborhood, you can ask if anyone has a rig on the shelf that you can borrow or buy.
  2. Join QRZ.COM. It doesn't cost anything, and the site has excellent listings of rigs for sale that go for a lot less than epay prices.
  3. Get used to searching ebay anyway: it's tedious, but sometimes people file really nice rigs in the wrong place, and you can jump on them.
  4. Keep track of the local Craigslist: Amateur/Ham equipment is often available for excellent prices.
  5. Do the above online searches with either RSS or with Ebay's email notice feature. There's a short learning curve either way, but the time is worth it.
  6. Visit all the flea markets within driving distance of your home: you can get really nice "boat anchor" and not-quite-old rigs by looking around under tables and in the car windows.
Just as one example: current prices for a Yaesu FT-890 80-10 meter transceiver run about $450, and some hams are already selling state-of-the-art rigs such as Icom's IC-7300 for prices in the ~$800 range.

The clubs are the best source, if you're willing to put in the time and try to help other members when you can. I know a ham who was given a Yaesu FT-1000 by another member of his club!

I hope this helps.

William Warren
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Warren For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 06:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,381 Times in 8,122 Posts

Ham radio was once about building your own equipment and constantly improving it performance. It was that that interested me as a child but the code requirement was too much of a challenge.

Today at best most hams mess with antenna improvements. Even that is limited by neighborhood restrictions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Not sure what SCARS is, but I live in the Tulsa area.
South Canadian Amateur Radio Society, Norman.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM

You may find other clubs and good equipment here:

http://www.greencountryhamfest.org/index.php

Also, you might looks at DMR and Echolink. Sure they use the internet, but Oklahoma has some great ARES nets on DMR.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 AM

Waste of time. Listening to old men complain about their aches and pains....
Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 AM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 3,018 Times in 1,664 Posts

I have been wanting to get into ham for a few years but there doesnt seem to be any interest around here in Lawton. Any of you guys new by?
Old 04-03-2020, 03:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,411 Times in 569 Posts

A buddy of mine has been trying to get me into this for years. I told him just today that now that I'm working from home and typically have a lot of time during the day, I'm going to start studying for the test(s).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Best I can tell for us with a Technician license there is little going on these days. I and been dormant for about 20 years I guess. It was hard to even make a net contact for a while.

My advice for us is to upgrade our licenses and buy a ton of expensive equipment or stick to cell phones.
I don't understand that either. I mean I understand getting a General for HF frequencies which can get you information from areas across the country and some continents. That however in a real situation locally will not help you at all.

I mean....the SHTF in my area and I know whats going on in Italy or Georgia.....so. I would think people would want more local contacts for working together, gathering information from one side of town to another, and generally a better understanding of the area. If something is heading my way, HF won't help me over a 20 mile span.

I'm new to HAM so maybe I'm just not getting it.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post
A buddy of mine has been trying to get me into this for years. I told him just today that now that I'm working from home and typically have a lot of time during the day, I'm going to start studying for the test(s).
I'm living proof that your average idiot can study for a week or so and pass the tech test. Another week of study for the General.

Ham test online is a good place to start.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I don't understand that either. I mean I understand getting a General for HF frequencies which can get you information from areas across the country and some continents. That however in a real situation locally will not help you at all.

I mean....the SHTF in my area and I know whats going on in Italy or Georgia.....so. I would think people would want more local contacts for working together, gathering information from one side of town to another, and generally a better understanding of the area. If something is heading my way, HF won't help me over a 20 mile span.

I'm new to HAM so maybe I'm just not getting it.
Search online for your local area for ham clubs. Many of them have repeaters and you can find local traffic on most of them. Check repeater book online and you can search specific areas for repeaters by several parameters.

As to the expense. There are many digital hand held radios that can be found for under $100, and with a bunch of features for $200 that operate both digital and analog. Giving you the ability to work world wide through a digital repeater or a $100 hotspot tied to your internet, as well as access to analog repeaters, monitor public service frequencies like police, fire, ems, hospitals, schools, frs, gmrs, murs, the list goes on. You may need to upgrade your antenna, or build one (tape measure yagi) if you want to improve your range.
The Following User Says Thank You to tch1718a For This Useful Post: