Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,037 Times in 21,199 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

I left Commiefornia in 1998 (or thereabouts). I never looked back. There are many things (mostly geographical) about the state that I really love and miss but I wouldn't even consider returning unless a miracle happened and all the Libtards dropped dead of stupidity.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,399 Times in 882 Posts

I was a 5th generation Californian. I left in 1993 permanently. We were dividing our time between our boat and RV. I immediately became a resident of Texas, thru Escapees, an RV organization in Livingston, Texas.

I severed all financial relationships in Calif. Subsequently 4 other couples who have been close for more than 50 years, have joined us in N W Florida.

I still go back to see my kids and grandkids (one of the grandkids seems to have wised up and is out of state now.)

You can live elsewhere for a fraction of the cost of what it was in Calif. Make the decision as soon as you can. Pick an area which reflects your values, and is unlikely to be overrun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,119 Times in 3,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Just want to point out...Ēultra conservativeĒ in Cali is NOT conservative anywhere else...

So no, they DONíT greatly benefit us.
Meet a lot of people from California here in the Ozarks
Every single one I have met is solid
A benefit to the State
Very few illegal scum here
Maximum freedom
I can honestly say, it has just gotten better and better year after year
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 06:38 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,969 Times in 10,158 Posts

You need to live for yourself. If you are not happy, then move to a place you can be happy - stress is the biggest killer; it works on you even when you sleep.

Video chat. It's free over the internet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 06:55 PM
More Equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I moved out seven years ago (GOD! Has it REALLY been that long!?), and STILL no regrets.
I've spoken to you before on this Hoodoo, like dragunov, I moved from Ohio in 98 and am in Johnson City, Texas now. It was the best thing we ever did.

Granted, in 98 I was in IT and with the new internet, .com, y2k,,, it was easy to find a job.

There is a huge demand for quality builders here. We are having a house built now, and it took going through many lame-o interviews with builders to finally come across the guy we are with now.

The Hill Country and surrounding Austin and San Antonio are begging for home builders.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,002 Times in 1,068 Posts

I've cowboyd from border to border west of the Mississippi. I liked Idaho and Montana the most. If it wasnt for my wifes job, I'd be in eastern idaho by now. Shes an RN in administration for a major hospital system making 6 figures. She wants to retire a few years early so we're stuck here till then because shes our sole retirement.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboypapa View Post
I've cowboyd from border to border west of the Mississippi. I liked Idaho and Montana the most. If it wasnt for my wifes job, I'd be in eastern idaho by now. Shes an RN in administration for a major hospital system making 6 figures. She wants to retire a few years early so we're stuck here till then because shes our sole retirement.
We have some friends that moved to Idaho, around Coeur d'Alene. They love it there.
We are - finally! - in the process of making the move out. Heading over to Arizona up around Prescott. Love it there. Very cowboy area itself......
The Following User Says Thank You to hoodoo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:45 PM

I'm out of here once the last of our family elders pass and I'm sure to be able to bring my son. My biggest concern is the property value tanking before I can sell my house for a good price. We're looking at Idaho, Nebraska, Missouri or someplace in the Midwest. It sucks to see the look on my grandfathers face when we talk about moving, or the family that's already gone. He came to this town from Nebraska when the great dust bowl hit. Our family put a lot into building this town, and it's killing him to see everything fall away and know the only reason the last of us are still here is to take care of him and my grandmother. But he's been the cornerstone of our family for generations, he's a Korean vet and I'll stay by his side until the bitter end if that's what it takes. It will give me time to plan anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ustael For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 04:16 PM
Prepared

We're looking at Tennessee or Georgia mainly there's been discussions about montana

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 06:11 PM
More Equal?

Quote:
You're timeline is actually right in line to start looking now.
It took us over a year to find the perfect redoubt land we live on now.
So, start looking, visit the area you want to live in, in all 4 seasons.
It will take you a year-ish to find something, 3 months or so to buy it, and a year to build on it. Have fun and buy a chainsaw, that's my favorite toy.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,756 Times in 1,942 Posts

In the last 8 years we have more California refugees in my part of West Virginia than we have Brit Expats. Fortunately they have their heads on straight and most around here didn't bring leftist politics with them or else they wouldn't be welcome. I hired a horse wrangler, former SAR of LASD who is great at riding fence and is working security for me and I am grateful for him. Nice to have my own vet-tech for both dogs and horses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
You're timeline is actually right in line to start looking now.
It took us over a year to find the perfect redoubt land we live on now.
So, start looking, visit the area you want to live in, in all 4 seasons.
It will take you a year-ish to find something, 3 months or so to buy it, and a year to build on it. Have fun and buy a chainsaw, that's my favorite toy.
I've been a ranch cowboy since gramma stuck a muck fork in my hand over 50 years ago. I've worked all over Idaho, the Idaho/Montana border country is where I'm headed. Me the truck, horses, dog, guns, tools, trailers, tractor, miscellaneous other stuff, all the saws, possibly the wife. The place has a good solid barn and the cabin is pretty cozy. Pretty sure she'll go along.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:25 AM
More Equal?

Quote:
I've been a ranch cowboy since gramma stuck a muck fork in my hand over 50 years ago. I've worked all over Idaho, the Idaho/Montana border country is where I'm headed. Me the truck, horses, dog, guns, tools, trailers, tractor, miscellaneous other stuff, all the saws, possibly the wife. The place has a good solid barn and the cabin is pretty cozy. Pretty sure she'll go along.
That's awesome man! I didn't know you already had some land there. ... not sure if she will go... Would she be moving away from grandkids? The ladies hate having to do that.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustael View Post
I'm out of here once the last of our family elders pass and I'm sure to be able to bring my son. My biggest concern is the property value tanking before I can sell my house for a good price. We're looking at Idaho, Nebraska, Missouri or someplace in the Midwest. It sucks to see the look on my grandfathers face when we talk about moving, or the family that's already gone. He came to this town from Nebraska when the great dust bowl hit. Our family put a lot into building this town, and it's killing him to see everything fall away and know the only reason the last of us are still here is to take care of him and my grandmother. But he's been the cornerstone of our family for generations, he's a Korean vet and I'll stay by his side until the bitter end if that's what it takes. It will give me time to plan anyways.
I know exactly how you feel. I live in upstate NY, right at the foothills of the Adirondack Mts. Beautiful place, but NY City controls the state and is slowly killing it. The only thing holding us back is my 95 year old mother. At 74 I cannot wait to much longer!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
That's awesome man! I didn't know you already had some land there. ... not sure if she will go... Would she be moving away from grandkids? The ladies hate having to do that.
Yeah the kids and grandkids are the issue. My kids could make the move, one is an independent contractor type that can do anything, the other is a special needs teacher. Half of her kids have turned liberal, the other half have really good jobs and started families so they're tied here for a while.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:09 PM
The river flows

Thanked 1,484 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
In the last 8 years we have more California refugees in my part of West Virginia than we have Brit Expats. Fortunately they have their heads on straight and most around here didn't bring leftist politics with them or else they wouldn't be welcome. I hired a horse wrangler, former SAR of LASD who is great at riding fence and is working security for me and I am grateful for him. Nice to have my own vet-tech for both dogs and horses.
You get Brit expats in West Virginia?!?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2019, 09:04 AM
More Equal?

Quote:
Yeah the kids and grandkids are the issue. My kids could make the move, one is an independent contractor type that can do anything, the other is a special needs teacher. Half of her kids have turned liberal, the other half have really good jobs and started families so they're tied here for a while.
I have a brother and his family in FL. He won't be coming here as he has no plan even after I have tried to make him aware of what, how and when to get here. He says his former military neighbor of a few house down will protect him and his family,,, idiot.

I have nephews and nieces in FL, PA, NY, OH, CO who all say they will get to the "Compound" as quick as they can. A small percentage are liberals but most are conservative.

I have a spread sheet including everyone in the family, and friends. The columns are Person|Local Primary, Can arrive quickly and would be an asset|Local Secondary, may not arrive quickly or at all, may not be an asset|Far away, most likely won't arrive|Estimated Arrival Date|Skills|Hard Assets|Liabilities

One of the most promising is a nephew in-law who is former special operations tactical FBI, that is the most he has ever told me about his job. On the range he was very impressive, not just shooting at metal plates either.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:54 PM

My family first settled in the Almaden area of San Jose in the late 1800's. I am a Palo Alto native but have lived in different Bay Area cities while growing up & have lived in San Jose for over 14 years. I wouldn't mind living somewhere quiet with my own land to roam and shoot on. Idaho comes to mind. What's keeping me here? 1. Jobs (have decent IT and nursing jobs) & job security (being in our fifties could be an issue) 2. Kid starting college here next year 3. Many family members on my wife's side. I don't think my wife would want to move out of CA.

I'm thinking if we do ever move out of CA it would be when we are at retirement age. Sell our house and get more for our money.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 01:50 PM
Grevcon 7ⓖ and MGM 10ⓜ

Thanked 1,615 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustael View Post
Yes, my mom passed away a little over a year ago, and I donít feel I can leave my father (my sister lives too far away to visit him often). But, I see so many new laws and regulations here, CA is way to expensive unless youíre making over 200k minimum, itís getting worse, and I donít even live in the Bay Area! weíre about ten years from retirement, and wonít have a lot of money, we canít afford to retire here. If they take away prop 13 for businesses in the next general election, itís going to be a short time before they get people to go along with it for residents as well. My dad wonít be able to afford the taxes on his Bay Area home if that happens. But he is firmly entrenched in his life, has activities, friends, etc., and is not going to leave at this stage of his life.

My husband and I are actively looking in the south. I want to go to a state that will reflect conservative values until I die. A lot of states have too many of the same folks that ruined California moving to them. Our short list has really dwindled down. Weíre likely to buy a second home this year, then figure out the move logistics after. Itís scary, but things are going to hell at an accelerated pace in CA. Our main concern will be our property value here when we actually sell this house, and if the economy stays decent while we pay a mortgage on house two - when we find it. Also, weíve lived in our community thirty years, are somewhat active, have friends, we love the beach, the mountains, itís going to be hard starting over this late in life in a place where folks will view us with suspicion as weíre from California.
The Following User Says Thank You to kathy_in_ca For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 02:40 PM

I could see retiring in another state, in a quiet place with some land to roam and shoot on. Want to be far away from tweakers and racists, which I've observed in some rural parts. We're a mixed couple. I'm the minority in San Jose, being white. Lol. I lived in Petaluma when it was more red necky (1970s). Not sure my wife would like some parts of the country. I know people who have moved to Idaho and Texas. Wife doesn't like snow...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Holdfast For This Useful Post: