Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modern Minuteman - a "theoretical" discussion Grevlin General Discussion 3587 06-17-2020 09:48 AM
America's social credit score Medieval Man General Discussion 21 09-29-2018 01:12 PM
What credit card companies don't want you to know pinkerpv Financial Forum 187 07-05-2018 11:58 PM
Americans given "social credit" score Revmgt General Discussion 48 03-21-2018 12:17 PM
Confidence in the Trump economy? mtnairkin Financial Forum 108 07-31-2017 05:31 AM

Old 05-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,972 Times in 10,478 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
NCalHippie,

Yes if you walk into an auto dealership with a personal check and pay cash they will still pull your credit.

There are alot of reasons for this.....mostly due to the fact secure credit must be in place just in case you check bounces as so many checks do.

The only way to buy a new car cash is to walk in with a cashiers check and wait 3 days or send a bank wire in for full payment. Otherwise...credit check!

HK
Yeah, we could have driven out of there with a brand new Cherokee for less than the used Grand Cherokee but we really liked the GC and someone else had already took the hit for buying new.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2020, 10:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat99 View Post
There's the problem, you wrote a check and that may as well be handing them a bag full of dog poo. I encountered this same situation. They run your credit to see if they'll even take your check and risk it bouncing.

Ok sir, they we will not do business with you.
A new car dealer is on every other corner. Desperate for a sale.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
BUT, do they have that exact car that you really want? At one point in our negotiations the middleman between the sales person and the 'boss' told us they had plenty of other SUVs in the price range we had offered. That was when I told him straight up, "We want to negotiate on the vehicle we have chosen, if you don't want to work with us, I guess we are done". And that is when I stood up and started to walk away.

Long story short, he had to 'talk to the boss' and came back and accepted our offer. It's not rocket science, just be willing to walk away if they won't work with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
BUT, do they have that exact car that you really want? At one point in our negotiations the middleman between the sales person and the 'boss' told us they had plenty of other SUVs in the price range we had offered. That was when I told him straight up, "We want to negotiate on the vehicle we have chosen, if you don't want to work with us, I guess we are done". And that is when I stood up and started to walk away.

Long story short, he had to 'talk to the boss' and came back and accepted our offer. It's not rocket science, just be willing to walk away if they won't work with you.
You would be better off negotiating with the boss (decision maker) not the salesman.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
You would be better off negotiating with the boss (decision maker) not the salesman.
That would be great if it worked that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
And they will all run your credit on 'Spot" delivery.
If you want to avoid it, wait a couple of days before you pick up the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2020, 10:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,607 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
That would be great if it worked that way.
It always works that way for me because I make it work that way.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Because they wouldn't sell us the car without doing all the paperwork, made no sense to me.
Dealerships also use that information in other ways than just checking your credit. Since you were writing a check they want to verify your identity and make sure that you own the checking account.

Even though they tried to get you to finance a vehicle after "checking your credit" the main reason may have been for fraud prevention.
The Following User Says Thank You to JellybeanJones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonegunner View Post
I am not so sure about that.

A charge on a credit card is an obligation, and that affects credit utilization percentages.

My score dropped 6 points last month, after being the same for many months.

The credit checks on transunion/experian were done on 5th of month, just after my 2 credit cards billing cycles closed on the 3rd and 4th of that month.

I had a large purchase for furniture put on one card, which doubled my normal average monthly card usage.

I pay off balances in full every month, and will soon know if that was the case.
The current charges on your card are a credit obligation and affect your credit utilization but are not considered debt until you become late on your payments. Credit utilization is part of credit scores so you are correct that the large purchase would temporarily reduce your score.
The Following User Says Thank You to JellybeanJones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 07:13 AM
Homestead Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I picked up a credit card through a credit union (Navy Fed) about a year ago after not having a credit card in 20 years. Previously my only source of credit history is result of paying on my mortgage for 10 years.

I've been putting some small purchases on the card and paying it off every month. I've started watching my credit score through my bank and the credit union. It's been improving since picking up the card.

I'm curious about this dip in my score. Any thoughts on what would cause that?

Attachment 283406
Drobs, even better, pay it off well before the due date, and even before the closing date on your monthly statement. The creditor will usually report your balance monthly to the credit reporting bureaus not on your due date, but on the closing date. That amount of debt will sit there on your credit reports for another month. How I keep my score stable from month to month with no real dips: I pay off my balances weekly, and always before the closing date on the statement. Just paying on or before a due date doesn't get you as far.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM
Deplorable Freedom Zealot

Thanked 10,943 Times in 2,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellybeanJones View Post
The current charges on your card are a credit obligation and affect your credit utilization but are not considered debt until you become late on your payments. Credit utilization is part of credit scores so you are correct that the large purchase would temporarily reduce your score.
The question arose last month about credit card charge affecting scores.

As I suspected my score went up 5 points this month after paying off unusual charge for furniture last month.

I can only assume that having any credit card balance when the agency checks one's credit does affect the score, even if the balance is not due,or has not reached statement monthly closing cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to bonegunner For This Useful Post: