Best sword design? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Blade Reviews, Articles and Videos Knives, swords and spears - anything sharp.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Steam Engine System Design Goody DIY - Do It Yourself 51 06-03-2020 04:54 PM
Pocket Folder blade design choice? ROCK6 Knives, Swords & Axes 28 07-14-2018 07:11 AM
A simple semi automatic design? semiauto derringer Lunes Firearms General Discussion 10 04-08-2018 05:52 PM
Grenfall Tower Block Fire Purdy Bear British Isles and ROI 36 06-30-2017 03:28 PM
refinishing a sword? justin22885 Knives, Swords & Axes 16 02-26-2017 06:03 PM

Old 11-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Best sword design?

Advertise Here

Assuming you had to choose a sword for self defense/battle, what design would you go with (katana, saber, rapier, etc)?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankthered For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,061 Times in 3,028 Posts

Too general a question. Have you considered why there are so many different sword designs? Who/what are you using the sword against? Where? Will there be armor/shields involved? So many questions to be addressed before you could give an intelligent answer to that question.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,028 Times in 3,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankthered View Post
Assuming you had to choose a sword for self defense/battle, what design would you go with (katana, saber, rapier, etc)?
What type of battle? Inside home defense? Or are you jumping in a time machine to the 1400s?

In my opinion, the best sword option is about a 18 inch pointy blade that can also serve as a Machete. Or a slightly curved Wakazashi. Anything larger and it make you a target for some one with a gun. It has to be concealed in public.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Too general a question. Have you considered why there are so many different sword designs? Who/what are you using the sword against? Where? Will there be armor/shields involved? So many questions to be addressed before you could give an intelligent answer to that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
What type of battle? Inside home defense? Or are you jumping in a time machine to the 1400s?

In my opinion, the best sword option is about a 18 inch pointy blade that can also serve as a Machete. Or a slightly curved Wakazashi. Anything larger and it make you a target for some one with a gun. It has to be concealed in public.

I suppose the best way to put it would be: "if you could only have one sword for the purpose of defending yourself". The general consensus here is to get opinion on what would be considered the best as far as swords go. Yes I understand the scenarios and circumstances are vast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankthered For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,391 Times in 6,651 Posts

Defense and offense dance around each other
What sort of armor do you expect to confront ?
Example
Rapier,foil, epee( a style) developed so the strikes could be aimed at the joints of heavy armor
Since heavy amor was in effective people stopped wearing it and just went with a breastplate.

SHTF and PSHTF probably won’t lend itself to Spanish circle combat.
Saber, cutlass, carolingian, gladius would be a more melee oriented style.
The Following User Says Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Trapper

In my mind, in today's modern times I would choose a large dagger, something double-edged. Or a short sword like a gladius. We are not fighting steel armor and chain mail so I am not worried about tips on swords. And something short and wide will be better inside buildings and do fine outside.

I think to many people mostly "weebs" ask this question without any fighting experience other than going outside and swinging a wooden sword around. In real life, if somehow we all switched to melee weapons I would choose a polearm over a sword any day. Melee fighting is dirty and brutal and anything to help I will take.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lost Woods Survival For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,028 Times in 3,905 Posts

If this were a practical question, obviously a longer sword is out of the question.

If its a question for after the end of the world, as we know it, but before
Ammo runs out, a longer sword is still too heavy to be practical to carry around.

Once most people run out of ammo, and its very rare, then the question
is different.

The only pole arm I would consider, would be a hiking staff that you could add a blade to the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Woods Survival View Post
In my mind, in today's modern times I would choose a large dagger, something double-edged. Or a short sword like a gladius. We are not fighting steel armor and chain mail so I am not worried about tips on swords. And something short and wide will be better inside buildings and do fine outside.

I think to many people mostly "weebs" ask this question without any fighting experience other than going outside and swinging a wooden sword around. In real life, if somehow we all switched to melee weapons I would choose a polearm over a sword any day. Melee fighting is dirty and brutal and anything to help I will take.
No doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Defense and offense dance around each other
What sort of armor do you expect to confront ?

Example
Rapier,foil, epee( a style) developed so the strikes could be aimed at the joints of heavy armor
Since heavy amor was in effective people stopped wearing it and just went with a breastplate.

SHTF and PSHTF probably won’t lend itself to Spanish circle combat.
Saber, cutlass, carolingian, gladius would be a more melee oriented style.
For whatever may come your way.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts

I am a lil biased, I like a thrusting sabre but i did fencing for a few years, pass the time, so this one would do, but in all honesty, the best would probably be something like a katana........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1786 thrusting sabre 002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	280006  
Old 11-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,061 Times in 3,028 Posts

For inside/tight quarters in a modern day scenario I would take something like the Gladius. For outside/open area fighting, I would take a Naginata.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:38 PM
One day at a time ...

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,129 Posts

Rather than a separate sword, I'd have a bayonet affixed AND learn how to use it properly. Good defense and nasty offense if you know how.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,704 Times in 793 Posts

If things got that bad I'd go with the Roman sword to, but before getting into a situation where I had to use it, I'd be scouring museums looking for some chain mail. Got to have something heavy, sharp and short that could double as a club if necessary.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,951 Times in 4,147 Posts

Ignore the doubting Thomases. A true practitioner of the self defense arts should be well versed in various types of arms. If you choose to make the sword one of them more power to you. BUT, as most of us are not strong with the force or in the Jedi arts, you should understand a sword is not something to be used without proper training. To achieve even a basic level of proficiency takes many months of dedicated training.

Okay, having said that, it is my opinion the basic medieval knightly arming sword comes pretty close to what you are looking for. Military WIKI defines it as "The arming sword (also sometimes called a knight's or knightly sword) is a type of European sword with a single-handed cruciform hilt and straight double-edged blade of around 69 to 81 centimetres (27 to 32 in), in common use from the 11th to 16th centuries." On the shorter end they are strong, light, and fast. The point allows for effective thrust. Both edges are good for slashing.

(My other sword is a straight blade cutlass with a skull pommel. It is for more, shall we say, formal occasions.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,131 Posts

A late Renaissance Small Sword.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,636 Times in 9,406 Posts

For swords specifically, expecting non-armored opponents, fast, medium sized, and sharp is the ticket. Strike first with a great blade that won't wear you out and allows recovery. That means probably a medium length katana style or gladius.

I have a nice custom Chinese made Katana that set me back about $200 IIRC. Extremely nice 1095 steel full tang blade and well made IMO. I also picked up a Cold Steel gladius for about $40 or so. Would make a fine weapon.

The large fantasy swords, cleaving swords, etc. are simply too heavy to carry and swing and are very slow to swing. I have a few traditional long-swords and bastard swords and they are totally impractical for combat against someone with a lighter, faster, or more reach weapon. You'd lose about 9 out of 10 times. Same with a battle ax. Too heavy and slow.

Practically speaking, a spear is a superior weapon in nearly most situations IMO, offering reach, speed, you can use it in a corridor, and it's not tiring to wield. You can also brace it for a charge and even kill large beasts like a bear or lion, theoretically, by bracing it against a charge. https://youtu.be/uLLv8E2pWdk?t=5

A war hammer or club is a darn fine weapon if you expect to encounter armored folks (or even unarmored folks), and a aluminum ball bat would make a fine inexpensive weapon. Generally had for a few dollars at thrift sales.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,150 Posts

cutlass for serious social encounters especially in confined area such as indoors.
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,265 Times in 6,424 Posts

Oakeshott Type XVI

And a heater shield.

For a world without guns (for some reason)

Experience: Ten years practicing armored medieval combat, bladesmithing and armor making.

Quote:
I have a few traditional long-swords and bastard swords and they are totally impractical for combat against someone with a lighter, faster, or more reach weapon. You'd lose about 9 out of 10 times. Same with a battle ax. Too heavy and slow.
None of this is true if facing a competant fighter.

Quote:
Strike first with a great blade that won't wear you out and allows recovery. That means probably a medium length katana style or gladius.
Katanas are heavy and unbalanced, and ineffective against armor, a poor choice. A gladius is primarily large thrusting dagger meant as a back up to a spear. Think of it like a modern soldiers handgun. Only really useful if matched to a large shield and as part of a formation. In single combat against swordsman you would be at an extreme disadvantage.

Quote:
Extremely nice 1095 steel
Too hard and brittle for a sword. Should only be used for short knives. Holds an edge forever but is not a tough steel. Easily broken. Its what they make files out of. A very poor choice for a sword or any other impact tool. Look for something made from 5160 for your next sword or, if using a ten series steel, nothing higher than 1060 or 70.

Quote:
Ammo runs out, a longer sword is still too heavy to be practical to carry around.
They weigh about half as much as an AR 15....so no...not true either.

Quote:
I would choose a polearm over a sword any day. Melee fighting is dirty and brutal and anything to help I will take.
A fine weapon, but very hard to use in single combat. You need other fighters on your side to protect your in order to use on properly. You are almost helpless against a competant shield man with your own sheildmen to protect you. You can think of them like a heavy machine gun. A powerful weapon but not one designed to be used in one on battle.

All that being said, the best swordsman in the world is no match for a random muggle with 9mm and two hours training so this is all a fantasy as there will be ammo for at least a hundred years post SHTF.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 AM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 63,244 Times in 8,965 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose the best way to put it would be: "if you could only have one sword for the purpose of defending yourself". The general consensus here is to get opinion on what would be considered the best as far as swords go. Yes I understand the scenarios and circumstances are vast.
Based on the OP and the OP's second post in the thread, I understand the following:

1) It will be the only sword you have.

2) It will NOT be the only sharps you have.

3) It will not be REPLACING other defensive weapons (ie: handguns, rifles, shotguns, bows & crossbows of a variety of types, knives of a variety of sizes, polearms, thrusting spears, throwing spears) but will be part of an overall weapons selection.

4) It is not intended to be used going up against someone with a non-melee range weapon such as a handgun, shotgun, rifle, bow, etc.

5) It is intended to be used where it would be a suitable tool/weapon in situations that do not call for something different.

6) In summary, it IS NOT an either/or choice versus non-sword weapons, it is a sword type versus sword type for uses that a sword would be an appropriate choice.

My answer to the actual question, finally:
Since I would not choose a sword simply for self-defense and/or battle, as I like options in general, and I like options that allow me to cover more than one activity, when it is well suited to a specific activity, but will still do very well in other activities.

Therefore, my choice, based on the above ideas I got from the OP, if I could only have one sword it would be a Cold Steel 1860 Heavy Cavalry Saber.

My justifications for the selection are as follows:
1) My intended use includes use from a mount. Though no longer likely to be a horse, mule, or ox, it is likely to be used from a motorcycle, quad, snowmobile, pickup bed, from inside a doorless vehicle, from a raised platform

2) It is could also be used from on-foot and kneeling ambush positions.

3) Third likely defensive use would be on foot in a direct confrontation with one or more aggressors.

4) As I am not an idiot (at least not a total idiot), I would not be going head-to-head with me with a sword and the other person(s) with firearms or bow type weapons. Probably not against throwing spears being cast by a javelin thrower with good javelins, either.

5) Other uses would be general cutting uses where a large sharps tool is needed, required, usable, or in any way acceptable.

So, with that stated, here is why the 1860 Heavy Cavalry Saber:
1) Weight: ~2.5 pounds (compare that to some of the other suggestions made. Heariver than some, but not all that much heavier for some of the others.) The weight helps in mounted thrusts, in several ways. It helps hold momentum so the sword does not simply go backward when the tip makes contact. Pommel and guard blows are evective with that kind of weight behind them. The lower part of the blade is heavy enough in section and well as physical weight, to make it a decent sword breaker, bone breaker, and skull breaker.

2) The length: ~36" (compare that to some of the other suggestions. Longer than almost all, significantly longer than some.) The reach of a 36" blade, even curved, is a great advantage when facing anything shorter face-to-face. Plus, it allows for a more likely successful thrust as well as cut if the aggressor is further away due to me being on an animal, or in/on a vehicle.

3) The curvature of the blade: The blade has a moderate curve. Not as extreme as some other swords, and certainly much more than straight edge swords. This, too, has advantages in some circumstances.

When mounted on or anything that lifts the sword wielder somewhat above the aggressor, the curve allows me to lower the tip of the sword to get the tip in the right area to make correct contact, so the first few inches of the blade will go much more straight in than a straight sword that must, if the wielder is higher than the aggressor, go in at an angle, often steep enough that little penetration is achieved, and even the cutting action as the sword slides past is minimal.

For the same reason the curve of the 1860 Heavy Cavalry Saber causes the tip to penetrate, there will be a bit more resistance for it to come free. But it can be somewhat minimal, as the impact of the heavy sword will drive the point deep, it will also cause the aggressor to go backward, which allows the blade to be pulled up and out almost straight up. And sometimes, the curve actually helps the retraction if the blade does not come out quickly, and I am still moving forward, the curve of the blade means it is still more vertical in the aggressor's body, while my hand is still firmly in the basket hilt, therefore putting a great deal of pull in a direction that makes it easier for the blade to continue its exit of the aggressors body.

The curvature makes an edge blow not only an impact blow, with a straight in cut of a straight blade, but as the saber is drawn back, it can be lowered with great force, forming a much longer slash in addition to the single flat impact cut which is often stopped from being deep by bone. The saber, even if it hits bone, is likely to cut a long slash that more than makes up for the more shallow depth.

4) The semi-basket hilt: The hand is well protected from directed blows that may be made toward it. The same protection is there against deflected slashes or blows that are caught by the saber blade to prevent the blow contacting my body, but momentum keeps that blade moving, down the saber blade, until it his the basket hilt. As mentioned, there is still enough weight in the hilt to make it effective as an impact weapon. And unlike bowl hilts, which are usually just a rounded smooth surface, the way the hilt is made on the 1860 Heavy Cavalry Saber, the bars, with openings between, can inflict much more damage than s smooth surface.

Addressing some of the negatives that people point out for similar swords, or swords of comparable weight and length even if not directly comparable in other ways to the Heavy Saber:

Carry difficulties:
If I was carrying the sword on foot, I would not be carrying something else that would have similar weight, so my overall carry weight would be about equal, or even less in some instances.

Length: Forty inches is pretty long, especially if short as I am. However, with the correct adjustment to the frog or baldric, I can (and have) carried similar items at the side of my body with no problems. It is simply a matter of doing things in a way that makes it work rather than just hanging a sword on a belt and declaring it is useless because absolutely nothing was done that would allow it to work well and easily. If you are not carrying your rifle, why have all the magazine pouches there in the way of the sword. Move the dang canteen. Use the proper approach, materials, and do not fight the idea of the sword if you are going to have one. Swords have been carried for centuries by warriors. Even in modern conflicts when the warrior also carried a firearm.

Ability to use: This one has merit as a problem with carrying a sword. A person definitely needs to train with one. But a person needs to train with any device that is going to be used to defend a person's life and well being. It will take longer to be an excellent or master sword wielder than it will be an excellent shot or master marksman. But are you a master marksman now? With what you already have and have used for years?

Anyone that intends to take a sword where it might need to be used as a martial weapon, then they are an idiot to not get training. But so is someone that buys a well tricked out AR-15 and puts it away in the closet after a couple of day admiring there on the coffee table in the living room, and never takes it out to shoot.

However, since the sword is not going to be used against someone you are facing that has a gun, then the comparison must be made between your ability with the sword, and the ability of the person with whatever they have.

Are you likely to be facing a traine sword martial artist with a $3,000 katana? Probably not. Are you likely to befacing a wannabe Rambo with a fantasy knife and a beer belly that has always been a tough guy bully? Yep. That sure could happen. And who is going to win? You with a year or more of constant practice with a 36" blade sword, or the fat guy with a 14" poorly designed and executed sorta-kinda Bowie knife that probably weighs as much as the 2.5 pound Cold Steel 1860 Cavalry Saber? I am pretty sure you would. Or even me, bad of shape as I am in.

Just like the saying, "You do not take a knife to a gun fight." You do not take a sword to any fight where it does not have a chance of helping you win the fight.

It is an option. Not an absolute. It can be used if you have it. If you do not, it does not batter. But with it, you have the option of using it, not using it, caching it, simply putting it down until you deal with the situation some other way and then pick it back up.

Almost forgot. It can be used similar to a machete, if careful. And it can do a few things that people use machetes for better than a machete. Though it will not do some things at all that a machete can do. But I would rather have something that is more than acceptible for all the uses I might use the thing for.

All that is just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:25 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,265 Times in 6,424 Posts

Very very few people today even know the basics of sword fighting...or any kind of melee weapon fighting. If you really want to learn how to do it, join your local SCA, practice for a year, and you will be able to annihilate 99% of normal people you would ever face armed with bats, axes, large knives etc with a single blow.

Which is something to remember. A sword fight is not like a boxing match, beating away at each other until someone goes down. Its almost always a matter of who makes the first mistake. Most real sword fights are over in a half a dozen moves or less. A single blow, too fast to even see, is how most end.

The reason they call guns the great equalizer is because almost anyone can quickly and easily learn to use one well. Swords are not like that. The learning curve is very very steep. A good swordsman is nearly untouchable by a bad swordsman, and a bad swordsman had an equal advantage over someone who has never had force on force training with melee weapons.

When I started I may easily have fought 2-300 fights before I even landed my first blow on an opponent.

But, to take the general topic further, if we are to assume a world without guns...

I would not choose a sword at all. A world without guns would also be a world where people are wearing armor again. And despite what you see in books and movies, swords perform very very poorly against armor.....which is why people wear armor in the first place.

I would go with mace, axe or war hammer. (Coupled with a high powered crossbow)

The truth is that for most of the sword fighting period, swords where not primarily a weapon for armored men to fight each other, but a weapon for armored men to slaughter unarmored peasants. As such, they where always more status symbol than primary arm, an officers pistol, not his M4.

The real weapon of war was the spear, and the weapon that armored men used when they had to fight other armored men was a mace or similar.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 03:08 AM
SoJer

Thanked 5,869 Times in 1,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
...All that being said, the best swordsman in the world is no match for a random muggle with 9mm ..
...Quick anecdotal reinforcement:

..That is all, Carry on.. (that-said, I'd Love to own / be Capable with a Broadsword, ie: a William Wallace Saturday-Night Special.. ....but I fully acknowledge that's a Long road, not easily traveled... Maybe I'll better stick to my P2K...

jd