Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1016 06-27-2020 12:57 PM
RK Gun Show. Wichita, Kansas 7-15,16,2017 silversam1 Kansas 0 07-15-2017 03:56 AM
Five Overrated Survival Gear Items AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-18-2017 03:00 PM
Retrosurvival, older British Survival Show Series Threeleggeddog05 General Discussion 7 10-18-2016 12:55 PM

Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Show your survival bow!

Advertise Here

I thought it would be fun to show off your survival bows and the reasons you went the route you did. Granted, technically, any bow can be a survival bow but I had certain criteria I wanted in my survival bow.

Reliability
Lightness
Pack-ability
Versitility

Also, I have lots of bows, LOTS of bows, I lost count around 150 so naturally I wanted to draw from what I had on hand. What I chose may surprise some, others not. Its a 40 year old Bear Minuteman take down. 45#, 60". A good reliable bow. I am a proficient shooter having competed most my life and shooting multiple times a week.

Multiple heads including: Broadheads for larger game. Blunts, judo point and gamestoppers for smaller game. To be included a detachable fish point and line for the abundant fish in my area. Gloves and arm guard. I'll add take down arrows later after I construct them and small Quickie quiver that attaches to bow.

The bow strung. The rabbit fur will be replaced with more conventional string silencers that wont retain water. The leather arrow shelf works well, I made it large to avoid noise.

It packs small but I will get a better soft case but it too must be small so it will pack well.

A small sampling of my vast collection
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,889 Times in 605 Posts

Quote:
technically, any bow can be a survival bow.....
I am sure this thread will "draw" in archers....but the ones that tout, compound bows...really have no idea of what makes a "survival bow"...
The Following User Says Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Wrong Side of Heaven

Thanked 6,717 Times in 2,419 Posts

Well I read it as bowl until I saw the other posts. So no need to break out my backpack collapsible bowl water container. It even has a handle and I can draw 6lbs of water....
The Following User Says Thank You to ImStillHere For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,108 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
I am sure this thread will "draw" in archers....but the ones that tout, compound bows...really have no idea of what makes a "survival bow"...
I have both a recurve and compound.

That being said, I prefer my recurve but would not refuse using my compound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Flintlock Shooter

Thanked 6,584 Times in 3,274 Posts

Same here.

But, as I am sure you know, for long term survival a compound is a poor choice. They just require too much maintenance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts

PG 55 grab n go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quiver 001.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	262673   Click image for larger version

Name:	quiver 007M.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	262681  
The Following User Says Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 05:21 PM

I don't have time to upload pics right now but my favorite is a martin Savannah 55lbs @ 28" It's not a breakdown but at 62" there is no string pinch and it ties to the side of my pack nicely.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,108 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Same here.

But, as I am sure you know, for long term survival a compound is a poor choice. They just require too much maintenance.
Agreed.

I need to get a few more recurves, more shafts and broadheads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoph View Post
I thought it would be fun to show off your survival bows and the reasons you went the route you did. Granted, technically, any bow can be a survival bow but I had certain criteria I wanted in my survival bow.

Reliability
Lightness
Pack-ability
Versitility

Also, I have lots of bows, LOTS of bows, I lost count around 150 so naturally I wanted to draw from what I had on hand. What I chose may surprise some, others not. Its a 40 year old Bear Minuteman take down. 45#, 60". A good reliable bow. I am a proficient shooter having competed most my life and shooting multiple times a week.

Multiple heads including: Broadheads for larger game. Blunts, judo point and gamestoppers for smaller game. To be included a detachable fish point and line for the abundant fish in my area. Gloves and arm guard. I'll add take down arrows later after I construct them and small Quickie quiver that attaches to bow.

The bow strung. The rabbit fur will be replaced with more conventional string silencers that wont retain water. The leather arrow shelf works well, I made it large to avoid noise.

It packs small but I will get a better soft case but it too must be small so it will pack well.

A small sampling of my vast collection
And why do you need so many bows? You can only shoot one bow at a time. Do any of those accept large capacity rapid fire quivers? I see a couple that could be assault bows, they are black and scary. They could be used in a mass arrow attack. When the constitution was written, bows were just wood, not those laminated weapons of war. Did you pay a tax stamp for that string silencer? Arrows should not be allowed to be purchased online.

We need better background checks for those. A waiting period is in order. We just need to ban bows

Seriously, that is a heck of a collection of bows.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Dog View Post
And why do you need so many bows? You can only shoot one bow at a time.
LoL! Reading those first 2 lines I thought you were serious because I actually get asked and told that a lot! Also I'm asked if I shoot them all! Of course I dont. Most of my collection originated prior to Ebay when they could be had for $10-$30, now I cant afford to collect everything. Every now and then I find a good deal at a garage sale or flea market, maybe once a year. The ones pictured are my beaters, though still nice, the "nicer" ones are wrapped up! Thanks!

Point taken though. Dont be surprised if one day archery equipment is targeted, look at London/England with knives!

Goblin, I like your setup, I saw a guy out at the club shoot one of those. Looks like your system meets my criteria too! I need a case similar to that.

Twisted, Martins are great bows! I have a couple!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxoph View Post
LoL! Reading those first 2 lines I thought you were serious because I actually get asked and told that a lot! Also I'm asked if I shoot them all! Of course I dont. Most of my collection originated prior to Ebay when they could be had for $10-$30, now I cant afford to collect everything. Every now and then I find a good deal at a garage sale or flea market, maybe once a year. The ones pictured are my beaters, though still nice, the "nicer" ones are wrapped up! Thanks!

Point taken though. Dont be surprised if one day archery equipment is targeted, look at London/England with knives!

Goblin, I like your setup, I saw a guy out at the club shoot one of those. Looks like your system meets my criteria too! I need a case similar to that.

Twisted, Martins are great bows! I have a couple!
Build it Toxoph! the inner PVC section is 7 pieces of tubing, with 2 sleeves and a cap. the inner cover, is the liner (leg ) out of a set fo NC paratrooper pants that had a rain proof liner, (good material) the outer bag, I simply sewed up adding some straps for molle clips, Its made from a piece of old industrial fire retardant canvas, I got a diesel crankshaft shipped to me, and it was wrapped about 8 wraps with this stuff. (I saved it) add some rit olive dye and a old 22 rifle sling........ the pouches hold everything needed, from my Zwickey broadheads, to a fletching jig, plus fletches, glue,inserts, nock's spare Flemish twist strings, , reel for the fishing arrow, you name it. I went with 7 tubes, but you could easily do more (I carry 6 feather fletched carbon fibre arrows, and 1 fishing arrow)

I prefer my homemade wood arrows, but, girlchild got me into using Victory V force CF arrows a few years ago, I wouldn't budge on the feathers, gotta have those, but truth be told, I like the CF victory shafts almost as much as i like the spruce shafts i use.

I have had Recurve and compound bows for year, my problem with the compounds, I tend to over accessorize, Just like people do with AR rifles, this pendilum sight, that quiver, this set of Trijcon pins, then a red dot, then........... well you get the picture.
when i started looking for a folding bow several years ago, Got pointed in the general direction of the PG by a friend of mine, Junglecrawler, and it went from there.

been shooting one for target and hunting ever since. everything fits in my bag, bow and all. put it in the truck, hunt on my way home from work. garb it and shoot paper with girlchild ( started her on a bow at around 7, now, truth be told, shes better than me.
smoother.) she wants my old Bear whitetail cable/wheel compound, Ive got it set up higher weight for me, told her when she could break it and shoot 3 on target it was hers.
she broke it and held it the first time last week shooting. wont be long now.(its ok though i still have my Darton)

the only issue some people have with the PG is that it does have a short shelf. it never bothered me. the plus'es, replaceable limbs (55 in mine, 45 in girlchilds, which was my first PG, but she claimed it as her own, go figure) and easily ambidextrous. nothing complicated about that bow, anywhere..

only thing i add is a flemish twist string , and a string loop.

of you haven't tried em, the Eskimo 160 gr and Eskilite 135 gr 2 blade broadheads. they fly great and hit hard. plus, longer lifespan, ease to resharpen, and not that bad on price, $16.50 a threepack the Zwickey Judo point is a excellent small game blunt, put it this way, you wont loose one in a hayfield . ever. still got my original 3 i started with. bought 9 thinking i would loose em like field points on rabbits.....

www.goprimalnow.com check out thier knives as well, Guy in Savannah Ga makes em for them, I have one of their HABS-ss knives in stainless, knife is as tough as their other gear. well made, easy to resharpen, and versatile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BOB2 099.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	262777   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB2 098.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	262785   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB2 097.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	262793   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB2 089.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	262801   Click image for larger version

Name:	habss 005.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	262809  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Defenseless old man

I have two Bear recurves, both 48" Super Magnums, both 45# draws. One's a little prettier than the other, but they shoot the same. Great little bows.

I have Bender No-Gloves on both bowstrings. Eliminates the need for a glove on your draw hand.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sale...ender+no-glove
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5030002_1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	263001  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lightnin' For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 01:46 PM

Thats very cool Goblin! I may have to try that! I know about adding too much, you should see me tournament Olympic bow!
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I have two Bear recurves, both 48" Super Magnums, both 45# draws. One's a little prettier than the other, but they shoot the same. Great little bows.

I have Bender No-Gloves on both bowstrings. Eliminates the need for a glove on your draw hand.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sale...ender+no-glove
The 48 Super Kodiak is a great bow, field proven by Fred himself! I have one too and was lucky to find it! The short length makes it a viable packable/survival bow.

Those finger protectors are great, I use them on my student bows, they seem to have a difficult time with gloves and tabs when starting out, either that or I tape their fingers. I could see that being used so you dont have to mess with a glove in a survival situation.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Flintlock Shooter

I have a #40 Martin Jaguar (#46.4 with my DL). I have a Trophy Ridge 4 arrow torsion quiver, Cobra bow sight, Super Stix 10" stabilizer, Centaur drop away rest, & an OMP bow sling mounted on it.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:44 AM

The Jaguar is a great bow! Great take-down bow for the money!

Ok, only Goblin and I have shown our setups, who else?!

In case you needed additional reasons to do one, heres a good article about reasons to get one.

http://www.skilledsurvival.com/survi...get-one-today/

I have nothing to do with this site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toxoph For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Flintlock Shooter

Its one of the few off-the-shelf recurves that can handle my DL (34") on a constant basis, & as you said, its a fantastic bow for the money.

I had a PSE Coyote at one time. It stacked badly. The Coyote's time with me ended when its lower limb delaminated at full draw, I damn near punched myself in the face. I know it sounds funny, but wow, that was a shocking surprise. It was also pretty heavy for a takedown recurve.

I tried a few others, but they all had stacking issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hagalaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2018, 04:58 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,625 Times in 2,861 Posts

THIS is easier than going through all the picture thingys.

I have 2 of them.
The first was the original, which you had to disassemble then reassemble.

THEN they came out with one about 3-4" longer but no assembly required., so I bought that one too.

BOTH of them are going with me to Alaska in 30 days.
I don't do a lot of archery any more but I have no problem holding 4-6" at 30yds. Good enough for taking game or whatever you need to hit quietly.

With my compound with peep sight and pins I can do much better.

but this is a survival bow question, and they work and so do the 2 piece arrows.
AND
because they are all metal they are pretty indestructible.

https://www.survivalarcherysystems.com/
Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

2 questions NWGUY. have you used a any of the three blade MONTEC 100GR 3 BLADE BROADHEADS, if so do they make a heavier set (125/165 gr)
speeds of a crossbow? also are the same style as the EASTON 2 piece arrows, in other words, feather fletched also, is that a alloy riser like the Primal Gear bow? if so what is the shelf like, short or long that is a nice barbique sammich .......
Old 04-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,625 Times in 2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
2 questions NWGUY. have you used a any of the three blade MONTEC 100GR 3 BLADE BROADHEADS, if so do they make a heavier set (125/165 gr)
speeds of a crossbow? also are the same style as the EASTON 2 piece arrows, in other words, feather fletched also, is that a alloy riser like the Primal Gear bow? if so what is the shelf like, short or long that is a nice barbique sammich .......
I JUST shoot them so my bow nomencalture may be a little sparse in knowledge but I'll give it a try.

1- No, I haven't used the SAS broadheads. I have a bunch of different weights and styles for use with the compound and crossbow as well as the SAS bows. Primarily I have been shooting them with 110gr broadhead with a razor insert and they seem to fly true and penetrate my block target fairly deep. both of mine are 50lb. And from an engineering stand point, as an engineering school dropout(just could not stand the thought of sitting at a desk the rest of my life, so about 20 hours short I walked out...kinda cheesed the parents big time) You can probably damage one but it would be hard to do. I like it because I can throw one into my backpack and go anywhere on the planet and not be violating anyone's laws. But they are well thought out and I think will long outlast me and my kids.

2-I have no idea if there are heavier ones.

3- The arrows are Easton XX75 Gamegetter then on the other side is 400
the "feathers" are a plastic. (at least the ones I have but I don't think they have changed them.)

4- The riser is metal, T6 aluminum

5- There is no built in arrow shelf. The sides are slab and you get a sticky backed soft material arrow rest like this.
https://www.survivalarcherysystems.c...her-arrow-rest

I think that is all of them.
Any more, ask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: