Flu Soup!!!! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soup peak_oil DIY - Do It Yourself 3 05-12-2014 11:30 AM
Wilderness soup Fallout Shelter Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 04-08-2013 10:21 AM
'Dynamite' Soup AzureLupine Recipes 2 02-24-2013 07:17 AM
Bean soup mix serpentsdove Recipes 7 01-24-2013 01:04 PM
just ate a can of soup - best by 10/03 97guns Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 51 12-03-2012 04:10 AM
Soup Starlight Food and water 5 02-28-2012 09:53 PM
easy soup harlequin Recipes 2 07-24-2010 09:37 AM
SOUP JAYBUG70 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 9 05-29-2010 11:45 PM
soup from Oct.06 paraord Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 01-02-2010 09:30 PM
Soup? speedofl33t Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 12-26-2009 03:25 PM

Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Default Flu Soup!!!!

Advertise Here

If you have a lingering cold or flue that affects your lungs then you should try this.

My family has been involved in herbalism and acupuncture for as far back as can be counted.

This is the soup that we use. it has lots of powerful antivirals.. I hope it helps you.

1 Chicken whole with or without giblets. Personally I cant stand giblets.

3 bunches green onions

1 bunch of leeks

3 whole garlic bunches, not just the individual cloves, but the whole thing.

4 heaping tablespoons black pepper, fresh is better

5 habanero peppers

1 heaping handful each of the following herbs

Fo Ti
Astragalus
Echinacea
Korean Red Ginseng, or white preferably if its available...NOT American Ginseng. American Ginseng has nowhere near the properties of Asian Ginsengs and its effects are TOTALLY different.
Reishi mushrooms (Ganoderma)

Finally 1 whole package, two is better of Red Jujube Dates.

Boil the herbs in with the chicken and after the soup has boiled for 15 minutes then add the fresh ingredients and serve.

Add soysauce to taste.

All of this can be found in any chinese/asian grocery store.

I hope this helps you. I'm doing this very thing right now to get over a cold..

The purpose of this soup is to cook the virus right out of the body. The spices and the herbs are powerful antivirals that help ease the passage of the flu/cold.

I'm rarely if ever sick because we keep a pot of this stuff boiling constantly. This year I forgot to start the soup in time I got a mild cold.

Given what's going around I thought I'd share a family secret to help people get over this stuff.

All the best!!!
Go Player

PS: Disclaimer... use at your own risk, see a doctor and see if he/she says its ok, make sure you know what you are putting in your body, sometimes herbs can seriously mess with your medications you might be taking. etc.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to go player For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Target Shooter

I know one thing for sure. It would certainly have great preventative properties for me. If I knew there might be a chance of someone coming at me with a bowl of that soup, I would never, ever admit I was feeling ill. And if ever a teaspoon of it was forced past my gritted teeth, I would swear to a miraculous and immediate cure in the desperate hope in warding off another offering. Just kinda messing with you. It may be just fine, but after reading the ingredient list, I think I would rather suffer the flu. Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to oldandcrotchety For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Over taxed and under paid

There are enough spices in that to burn out any cold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandcrotchety View Post
I know one thing for sure. It would certainly have great preventative properties for me. If I knew there might be a chance of someone coming at me with a bowl of that soup, I would never, ever admit I was feeling ill. And if ever a teaspoon of it was forced past my gritted teeth, I would swear to a miraculous and immediate cure in the desperate hope in warding off another offering. Just kinda messing with you. It may be just fine, but after reading the ingredient list, I think I would rather suffer the flu. Fred
Oh you big sissy!!!

You really cant taste the herbs. The jujube dates and the garlic mask nearly everything. It is however very spicy. Its best to be taken right before bedtime.

Then you sleep thru the nite and it works while you are sleeping.
The Following User Says Thank You to go player For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,066 Times in 497 Posts

wow that sounds awesome lol i'll have to go grocery shopping for some of that stuff!! or better yet- see if i can find the seeds for those herbs!

mmmm spicy. lol *salivating*
The Following User Says Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
wow that sounds awesome lol i'll have to go grocery shopping for some of that stuff!! or better yet- see if i can find the seeds for those herbs!

mmmm spicy. lol *salivating*
Unfortunately, the soil in America is very poor except for in one location. Most of these roots one cannot grow in the US and still get the same effect. I looked into it sometime ago.

I have a botanist friend who is into herbs and its the bane of his existence that he cannot successfully grow Dong Quai. He loves the stuff but its the soil and the symbiotic relationships between it and the trees/plants it grows near that pack it with such nutrients.

Thankfully its all SO CHEAP.

One POUND of Astragalus at the chinese store is like $2.99 That's almost a years supply! People only get sick typically once per year...

I looked into Goji Berries(Fructus Lycii) last week at Whole Foods... $21.99 a pound. At a chinese market they were like $3.99 a pound.

If you live in the Midwest, near Chicago or any major city with a asian market you should be able to find similar prices.

Oh and my period key works again YAY!!!

Go Player
Old 11-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Bushcrafter

Thanked 1,095 Times in 596 Posts

I favour chicken type vegetable soups in wintertime and as a flu 'cure' though last time I had a flu like illness I made myself some schwarzwurz (comfrey leaves fried in egg and flour batter) which cleared up the symptoms about an hour after eating it and made me feel a whole lot better.It was an old bogman down by the river, who told me about this plant.

This herb gets a bad rep (probably cause it works and the expensive over the counter remedies don't) and is said to have catalytic hepatotoxic alkaloids in it but then so do carrots and I'm still alive and kicking after eating it. Was used in the medieval period as a cure for respiratory ailments (as well as other illnesses and wounds).

Disclaimer : I'm not recommending that you take this, read up on it and get advice from a herbalist or doctor before weighing up the risks and making your own mind up whether to try it or not.

Last edited by Hanfgeist; 11-25-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,734 Times in 7,374 Posts

I remember Jewish penicillin growing up always worked wonders.. Yep good old chicken soup.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 PM

That soup sounds good, actually. I refuse to take OTC meds for a cold. I will have to check my nearby Asian market for the goji berries... you're right they are damn expensive at my local store. I love the Asian grocery!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts

I have to agree with the onions, garlic, and spicy peppers. They always work for me with a cold or chest or nasal congestion. Anything spicy helps with my congestion whether it's peppers or curry or onions.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,901 Times in 2,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by go player View Post
If you have a lingering cold or flue that affects your lungs then you should try this.

My family has been involved in herbalism and acupuncture for as far back as can be counted.

This is the soup that we use. it has lots of powerful antivirals.. I hope it helps you.

1 Chicken whole with or without giblets. Personally I cant stand giblets.

3 bunches green onions

1 bunch of leeks

3 whole garlic bunches, not just the individual cloves, but the whole thing.

4 heaping tablespoons black pepper, fresh is better

5 habanero peppers

1 heaping handful each of the following herbs

Fo Ti
Astragalus
Echinacea
Korean Red Ginseng, or white preferably if its available...NOT American Ginseng. American Ginseng has nowhere near the properties of Asian Ginsengs and its effects are TOTALLY different.
Reishi mushrooms (Ganoderma)

Finally 1 whole package, two is better of Red Jujube Dates.

Boil the herbs in with the chicken and after the soup has boiled for 15 minutes then add the fresh ingredients and serve.

Add soysauce to taste.

All of this can be found in any chinese/asian grocery store.

I hope this helps you. I'm doing this very thing right now to get over a cold..

The purpose of this soup is to cook the virus right out of the body. The spices and the herbs are powerful antivirals that help ease the passage of the flu/cold.

I'm rarely if ever sick because we keep a pot of this stuff boiling constantly. This year I forgot to start the soup in time I got a mild cold.

Given what's going around I thought I'd share a family secret to help people get over this stuff.

All the best!!!
Go Player

PS: Disclaimer... use at your own risk, see a doctor and see if he/she says its ok, make sure you know what you are putting in your body, sometimes herbs can seriously mess with your medications you might be taking. etc.
Sounds great but where does it mention the Goji Berries?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 AM

Default Goji?

You CAN throw those in and its great but my family recipe doesnt call for them per se. They are a great source of germanium, a powerful antiseptic, antiviral, etc.

Throw em in I say!!!

I do want to add one thing about this soup. it's best eaten at night b4 bed. While you are sleeping the ginseng is amping your system up to fight the infection. It does a lot of damage to the virus then.

Also its best eaten with as hot of peppers as you can stand and at the hottest temperature you can serve it.

That's key actually. You want it to kind of raise your body temp until it cooks it out of you. That's my theory anyways. Worked for me for 36 years.

It's also best as a preventative. I know at least once a week I'm eating this soup until cold and flu season passes.

Go Player
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 PM

We made a pot of the soup this weekend. We modified it a bit, no dates. No one in the house likes them.

Let me just say that this isn't for someone with a delicate palate. It was a bit rough at first, so I tossed some cream and sour cream into my bowl. It was good. I really like it. I'm waiting for everyone else to get home and try it.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Default did you make it according to my recipe?

For most people they just don't add enough soy sauce. It tastes great with the garlic and the soy and the green onion.

Unfortunately this soup is really for sick people who need the hot spiciness to help cure their ailment.

All the cream does is neutralize that.

Yes this is soup but its also medicinal. Did you add the herbs? If so you may experience a certain amount of testosterone boost.

If you like the sour taste of the sour cream with the soup you might add just a tad of vinegar to it or keep a bag of chips with sour cream and onion dip nearby to cool off the heat.

When you have the flu do not eat dairy... it produces mucous... at least for me it does.

I'm glad you were able to make it taste good for you. Keep eating!!! Good for you!!!!

Go Player
Old 12-02-2009, 06:43 PM

I started feeling sick today and I would love to try this soup... I don't have any of those herbs though. Darn! I'll see if I can drag my butt to the co-op near work. But tonight I'm making chicken miso soup with lots of onions, garlic, and green onion, and tamari. Those veggies always really help me. I've also been drinking lemon-sage-thyme tea.

Are there other mushrooms that are just as good as reishi (healthwise speaking)?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliades View Post
I started feeling sick today and I would love to try this soup... I don't have any of those herbs though. Darn! I'll see if I can drag my butt to the co-op near work. But tonight I'm making chicken miso soup with lots of onions, garlic, and green onion, and tamari. Those veggies always really help me. I've also been drinking lemon-sage-thyme tea.

Are there other mushrooms that are just as good as reishi (healthwise speaking)?
Not really but reishi and the rest of the herbs on that list are HIGHLY AVAILABLE AND VERY CHEAP.

Get thee to an Asian store and be HEALTHY!!! Forget that coop stuff. That's only passable when there isn't an Asian store in your area. I only shop there when I need fiber lol How many different ways are there to make granola? Only the white man know lol

Seriously, all the herbs are very cheap and will last you forever. Eat the soup according to my directions and you will get well quick... if only so as to NOT have to eat the soup too often. BWAHAHAHAHA

Don't do regular onions... only green onions and leeks btw. That chlorophyll is a must!!!! Onions give most people gas and stomach upset. Eat LOTS OF HOT PEPPERS!!!!

Fight the sickness. KILL IT With HOTNESS!!!

All the best!

Go Player
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,084 Times in 612 Posts

tequila works for me,one bottle of patron and im cleared the next day witha hangover.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
tequila works for me,one bottle of patron and im cleared the next day witha hangover.
Yup! I have done that with Cuervo 1800, but no hangover.