Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fake News...an old trick Finmac General Discussion 19 06-11-2017 03:28 AM
How would you react and you read the headline "90 dead in Baltimore car bomb!" leadcounsel General Discussion 32 06-02-2017 12:46 AM
EPA breaking news against Trump? rtbanger Jokes, Humor & Music 15 12-30-2016 04:23 AM
Breaking news Hillary Endorsement orangenomad Jokes, Humor & Music 5 11-05-2016 05:38 PM

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Gettin There

Thanked 2,066 Times in 789 Posts
Default Breaking news section?

Advertise Here

Have any mods/staff ever thought about something like a breaking news section? The members here are very quick to release information they gather through various sources including but not limited to police scanners and news channels.

I monitored SB during the San Bernadino attack, Dallas, London, Charlie Hebdo, Nice, and the list goes on and on. All too often the threads get lost in the General Discussion section or moved to other sections. Just this morning the Notre Dame attack started, to the best of my knowledge, in the General Section, was moved to Disaster Preparedness General Discussion, and then back to General Discussion. I have seen other similar threads moved from the General Discussion Section to the Manmade and Natural Disaster Section before as well.

What do the mods think about a Breaking News Section or something similar? We have a Political News and Discussion Section. I just think it might make finding a place for so many of these threads to be located. I admit this isn't a perfect idea as someone will always post something where it doesn't belong.

Please don't take this as complaining as I think you guys/gals do a great job on here. I just thought I would throw out the idea.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanR7985 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,658 Times in 2,745 Posts

Yes,
I find myself checking SB for breaking news and updates before anywhere else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodzman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,767 Times in 13,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodzman View Post
Yes,
I find myself checking SB for breaking news and updates before anywhere else.
And I find them easily. If its breaking news of any significance it will be at the top of the new posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 01:32 PM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 28,444 Times in 6,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
And I find them easily. If its breaking news of any significance it will be at the top of the new posts.
Yep, first place I look.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 154,605 Times in 44,922 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Dan, you've been a member here long enough to remember when the political section was all but unusable a few years back, because of the actions of only 5-6 members flooding it nonstop with every link they could find and some others tossing all sorts of off topic stuff in there. Back then, a thread was lucky to make two pages before being buried by piles of junk and forgotten. It took a couple years to get that section working again, and now discussions can run as long as people are interested in them.

The same thing would happen to a dedicated news section in a short amount of time. Given a little time and that problem would fester and breed and spill over to the rest of the site.

And that's not even counting the ones who would join just to abuse that section, while having seemingly no interest in the survival aspect of the site at all. We have a number of them here right now who have never posted a single survival related topic. Just politics and news. And a few times in the past, the religious section has attracted outsiders who attempted to "own" it.

I'm like you, I don't use the new posts button. I just go to the forums I'm interested in. The news is almost always at the top in the general discussion section. Sometimes it's in manmade and natural disasters if it's on topic there. Otherwise, we move it when we spot it.

Last edited by MikeK; 06-06-2017 at 11:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Bump due to discussion in another forum related to it.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
just surviving

Breaking news is extremely important to and integral with survival. When certain types of news hits the air, I come here to see what real folks say instead of the MSM spin. If general news isn't acceptable, you could at least setup an Emergency Alert section and have it limited to the type of things that might affect what our purpose is here (bug out, shelter in place, stocking up, etc.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonereb For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonereb View Post
Breaking news is extremely important to and integral with survival. When certain types of news hits the air, I come here to see what real folks say instead of the MSM spin. If general news isn't acceptable, you could at least setup an Emergency Alert section and have it limited to the type of things that might affect what our purpose is here (bug out, shelter in place, stocking up, etc.)
The breaking news gets posted in the general discussion section already. So we're not missing out on anything.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 13,235 Times in 5,594 Posts

Heads up on breaking Stories ok without Links ? (Which can be added in Merges of threads afterwards )