Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-29-2020, 07:51 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,944 Times in 2,274 Posts
Default Pentecost Sunday - 2020

Advertise Here

I've been a Christian since I was a kid, being water baptized about 40 years ago. I was originally raised Baptist and then my folks moved us to Non-Denominational.

It was only about three years ago that I read about and learned about Pentecost Sunday.

This year it occurs on Sunday, May 31st.

I am curious why more churches don't teach about it and even celebrate it?

Here are 10 points.....

1. Pentecost Sunday marks the day when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles.

2. Pentecost Sunday occurs 50 days after Easter.

3. The Bible records the Pentecost in Acts 2:1-13.

4. Pentecost comes 10 days after the Ascension of Jesus Christ.

5. Pentecost is also known as "the birthday of the Church".

6. Pentecost fulfills Jesus' promise to send the "Counselor" and "Spirit of Truth" in John 16-5-15.

7. Pentecost launches the large-scale spreading of the Gospel after Jesus' ascension. Acts 2:41 records that after Peter spoke to the crowd after receiving the Holy Spirit, some 3,000 people were baptized.

8. The Pentecostal movement derives its name from the New Testament event in Acts 2.

9. Jews also celebrate Pentecost, but not for the same reason as Christians. The celebration by Jews of Pentecost is to observe God giving the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai 50 days after the Exodus. The Pentecost in Jewish tradition takes place 50 days after Passover.

10. In Western Churches, Pentecost is usually represented with the color red, which symbolizes the fire of the Holy Spirit.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,667 Times in 21,320 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Some of the "Hebrew Roots" or "Messianic Judaism" observe the Old Testament feast days as well as the Day of Pentecost. I'm not sure if ALL of these splinter groups do or not. Nevertheless, I do think it's a good idea to remember all the special days of the Bible as a means to understand God's relationship to His sheep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
... It was only about three years ago that I read about and learned about Pentecost Sunday.

This year it occurs on Sunday, May 31st.

Unfortunately it is a Protestant thing (although high church Protestants do celebrate the liturgical year), in that they do not wish to get the Catholic cooties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,821 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
“Pentecost (also called Trinity Day or Descent of the Holy Spirit) is one of the Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church, celebrated fifty days after Pascha (thus always falling on a Sunday, this year: June 7, 2020, next year: June 20, 2021, and June 12, 2022, the year after that.)“

Not only do we teach about it and celebrate it, we remember it as a temporary reversal of the curse of the Tower of Babel that allowed the gospel to spread.

“Kontakion (Tone 8)

When the most High came down and confused the tongues,
He divided the nations;
But when he distributed the tongues of fire
He called all to unity.
Therefore, with one voice, we glorify the All-holy Spirit!”

“ 5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”

Acts 2:5-11
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,354 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
“Pentecost (also called Trinity Day or Descent of the Holy Spirit) is one of the Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church, celebrated fifty days after Pascha (thus always falling on a Sunday, this year: June 7, 2020, next year: June 20, 2021, and June 12, 2022, the year after that.)“

Not only do we teach about it and celebrate it, we remember it as a temporary reversal of the curse of the Tower of Babel that allowed the gospel to spread.

“Kontakion (Tone 8)

When the most High came down and confused the tongues,
He divided the nations;
But when he distributed the tongues of fire
He called all to unity.
Therefore, with one voice, we glorify the All-holy Spirit!”

“ 5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”

Acts 2:5-11
Orthodoxwiki writes:

"Pentecost (also called Trinity Day or Descent of the Holy Spirit) is one of the Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church, celebrated fifty days after Pascha (thus always falling on a Sunday, this year: June 7, 2020, next year: June 20, 2021, and June 12, 2022, the year after that.)..."

"The Orthodox Church sees Pentecost as the final fulfillment of the mission of Jesus Christ and the first beginning of the messianic age of the Kingdom of God, mystically present in his Church. It is traditionally called the beginning of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Besides celebrating the coming of the Holy Spirit, the feast also celebrates the full revelation of the divine Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Hymns of the Church, celebrate the sign of the final act of God's self-disclosure to the world of His creation.

To Orthodox Christians, the feast of Pentecost is not just a celebration of an event in history. It is also a celebration their membership in the Church. They have lived Pentecost and received "the seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit" in the sacrament of chrismation."

CITE: https://orthodoxwiki.org/Pentecost
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,354 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogshak View Post
Unfortunately it is a Protestant thing (although high church Protestants do celebrate the liturgical year), in that they do not wish to get the Catholic cooties.
Unless I'm mistaken, the RCC celebrates Pentecost 50 days after Easter the same as the EOC. And, you're saying the Protestants don't celebrate it at all.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,821 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the RCC celebrates Pentecost 50 days after Easter the same as the EOC. And, you're saying the Protestants don't celebrate it at all.
Outside of confessional Lutheranism, I think there's no recognition of Pentecost in Protestantism at all. Perhaps in Anglican circles, I don't know what they do besides marry people to their cat.

...well, except for the Pentecostals who fake it 24/7, 365 days a year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 63,667 Times in 21,320 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
Outside of confessional Lutheranism, I think there's no recognition of Pentecost in Protestantism at all. Perhaps in Anglican circles, I don't know what they do besides marry people to their cat.

...well, except for the Pentecostals who fake it 24/7, 365 days a year.

I've never been a Protestant but I did belong to a church that routinely observed Pentecost. They actually called it "the day of Pentecost." A small church in Missouri back in the mid 1990s.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,629 Times in 543 Posts

The Anglicans still celebrate Pentecost....

My understanding of why Pentecost is not celebrated in the Protestant faith because on top of Trinity Day......it was also the first prayer Cenacle let by the Holy Mother of God.

I believe it also also the reason why many Bible studies and Prayer groups meet on Wednesday night......supposedly when Pentacost happened.

HK
Old 06-03-2020, 11:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,732 Times in 943 Posts
Smile

All of the local churches I have attended as I remember have taught about the feast of Pentecost and the "jump Start" of the Christian church. I think a reason that Pentecost is not celebrated in the same manner as Christmas and Resurrection Sunday or Easter is that it would put more emphasis on the church or the Holy Spirit. The emphasis of the Christian or the Church as the Bride of Christ should be on Christ
Quote:
Eph_5:25* Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Certainly if a local church held a Pentecost Sunday that would be OK.

There is not much emphasis in the New Testament other than in Acts 2 on celebrating Pentecost as the Birthday of the Church or for that matter any of the feast days. Paul and other New Testament writers don't mention it much if at all. In fact Paul actually says don't let others judge you in respect of holydays.
Quote:
Col_2:16* Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
As Paul traveled and preached, Jewish men would follow after him and try to persuade converts to Christianity to keep parts of the Old Testament Law. Feast days were part of this.

Quote:
Col 2:4* And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.*Col 2:6* As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:*
Col 2:7* Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.*
Col 2:8* Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.*
Paul continually wrote to the churches to keep their eyes on Christ.

So maybe this is one reason some churches don't celebrate Pentecost Sunday. But I think it would be OK to do it. In the right manner.

We have a man in our church named Pentecost and we don't celebrate his birthday either.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,629 Times in 543 Posts

In our Catholic Church.....Pentecost is held in a higher position than Christmas and is almost equivalent to Easter Sunday.....we had a High Mass this past weekend.

HK