Now is a good time to Live Secret, Live Happy. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-25-2020, 12:24 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,033 Times in 10,507 Posts
Default Now is a good time to Live Secret, Live Happy.

Advertise Here

I used to work for the US Navy. The Navy hired a French company to build some hardware for us and they sent me to the facility in Bourges a couple times to untangle the mess. I learned a few things from the French, one seems particularly appropriate right now.

The French started WW2 with the worlds biggest, and best equiped army, but their leadership was old and stupid, and they lost the war in just a few weeks. For the next five yrs they lived under Nazi rule. They found that almost any one could be compromized and turned by Hitlers Gestopo, so they got very good and not saying anything.

The French way of describing this was Live Secret, Live Happy.

My nephew learned much the same thing in basic training. Never first, never last, and never miss the chance to keep your big mouth shut.

The Corona Virus has put a real scare into a lot of people. If this crisis gets worse, or if a bigger, badder crisis hits later this year, that fear is going to drive them flipping insane. When their kids get hungry, they are going to act as a mob, and they will blame anyone with a single crumb of food.

Do not take the opportunity to say, I told you so. Do not get remembered as the guy who is always prepared for anything. Because one day the mob will be looking for someone to blame.
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 03:13 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 22,123 Times in 6,391 Posts

I've already been working on a cover story for what happens when the few people who know I am a prepper ask how much food I have left.

I'm going to tell them that because I'm a prepper, I went into lock down when this first started in January and so even though I had a lot to start with, I'm down to not much more than anybody else by now and I guess I screwed up by jumping the gun.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 03:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,237 Times in 4,577 Posts

While I work for the government, I don't put a lot of confidence in them to take care of me...it was never designed that way, but somehow the narrative is that it's a safety net for all.

Still, I just always point out that even Gov't's FEMA recommends every individual and family to have two weeks worth of supplies on hand. It's not about being a prepper, it's just common sense and this whole situation is another reminder. I don't need to do the reminding, I just point at the "big safety net" that is telling you that you may very well be on your own for a couple weeks (or more...but let's just focus on two weeks).

I hope this whole situation changes the mindset of even a fraction of the general public that has been caught off guard.

No need to say what's in my pantry. I just simply tell them to follow the basic FEMA guidelines. It's a starting point that doesn't require me to expose anything about me.

ROCK6
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 49,932 Times in 10,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
While I work for the government, I don't put a lot of confidence in them to take care of me...it was never designed that way, but somehow the narrative is that it's a safety net for all.

Still, I just always point out that even Gov't's FEMA recommends every individual and family to have two weeks worth of supplies on hand. It's not about being a prepper, it's just common sense and this whole situation is another reminder. I don't need to do the reminding, I just point at the "big safety net" that is telling you that you may very well be on your own for a couple weeks (or more...but let's just focus on two weeks).

I hope this whole situation changes the mindset of even a fraction of the general public that has been caught off guard.

No need to say what's in my pantry. I just simply tell them to follow the basic FEMA guidelines. It's a starting point that doesn't require me to expose anything about me.

ROCK6
Thatís the narrative because since the 1930ís the government has been telling everyone thatís what theyíre there for.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,827 Times in 8,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
I've already been working on a cover story for what happens when the few people who know I am a prepper ask how much food I have left.

I'm going to tell them that because I'm a prepper, I went into lock down when this first started in January and so even though I had a lot to start with, I'm down to not much more than anybody else by now and I guess I screwed up by jumping the gun.
Might work with some of them. If someone told me that, my first considered thought would be that they're lying. What does one have to lose by checking anyway?

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Might work with some of them. If someone told me that, my first considered thought would be that they're lying. What does one have to lose by checking anyway?
Their life?

No one is 'just checking' anything of mine. I think they would have to be pretty sure there its worth it before starting such an endeavor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 29,827 Times in 8,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Their life?

No one is 'just checking' anything of mine. I think they would have to be pretty sure there its worth it before starting such an endeavor.
Perhaps I didn't make it as clear as I could.

When you think that people are going to believe you when you say "I used up all my stuff," and they're hungry....do you think they're going to believe you?

Or are they going to think "yeah, he said he didn't have it any more, but he might be lying to me, or he still might have SOMETHING left...."

It's your choice (and everyone's choice here): is it better to HAVE to defend yourself and be able to do it, or is it better that no one comes looking because you KEPT YOUR MOUTH SHUT?

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 03:04 PM
Abnormality biased.

I think they are more likely to believe the threat they can see rather than the food they can't.

Think of it as "poison frog" opsec.

I think they are more likely to attack the 99.9% of places that don't look like a mountain fortress first.

The best battle is indeed the one you don't have to fight. Thats why I open carry and my house 'advertises' if you get close enough to see it.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:17 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,394 Times in 6,202 Posts

Sadly I don't expect anything to change in that regard for the bulk of the sheeple.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 06:12 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,212 Times in 2,791 Posts

WHERE I live at least 2 weeks of food is minimal norm since winter weather can close us in for long periods before the county gets roads cleared or we dig our way out.

We could lose power for a week or so at a time, so most folks have generators and gas.

this isn't "prepping" this is just things we do for our normal situation.

so
it is no secret folks have stuff.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 AM

The government being our "safety net" has been discussed in my family for months. My brother works for the city, and he sees firsthand how the vast majority of the population expects the government to fix their problems and fill their needs. This is the way a large portion of our country thinks.

What's happening now is sad, but if this crisis teaches any segment of the population to return to our grandparents' ways and become more self-sufficient, then this crisis may end up being a blessing in the longrun.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JHP For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 01:20 PM
BASS

Thanked 3,407 Times in 1,277 Posts

I doubt many will "really wake up and stock some food and meds". I have seen it happen to "some educated people". Turns out they weren't. We all have heard it, "The government will take care of us".

They obviously don't read things posted on the web. DHS and FEMA have said a long time ago, "If something catastrophic happens to the USA, we cannot feed and/or take care of everyone".

Words you need to remember and use those words to guide you in the future.
I do I now. BASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHP View Post
The government being our "safety net" has been discussed in my family for months. My brother works for the city, and he sees firsthand how the vast majority of the population expects the government to fix their problems and fill their needs. This is the way a large portion of our country thinks.

What's happening now is sad, but if this crisis teaches any segment of the population to return to our grandparents' ways and become more self-sufficient, then this crisis may end up being a blessing in the longrun.
The Following User Says Thank You to BASS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 12:18 PM
Moving west

The government encourages this line of thought, it is how they justify taxes. Congress is voting on the biggest domestic aid package in the history of the United States. When this is all over, don't be shocked to see a special tax .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,570 Times in 9,396 Posts

Sorry, I lost it in the stock market crash.

I've got a couple extra cans of soup I can give you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,173 Posts

I like turtles.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebjr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,307 Posts

I got the chinky aids . You don't want my stuff, it's infected
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 16,601 Times in 5,105 Posts

Anyone I would have said, "I told you so" to is 8 hours away from where we now live. People I know here are all prepped like we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,033 Times in 10,507 Posts

I wrote this just months before the 2008 economic crisis. I believe it still rings true.

Most folks have made no preparations at all. They live in poorly insulated homes or apartments with no water storage, no off grid heating, their car's gas tank is on empty, and the frig and pantry have enough food to last three days.

No act of faith or government can change their fate. They are going to die.

Very quickly after the power goes out, the cell towers and the Internet crashes, the grocery store empties, the gas station sells out, the unprepared are going to figure out their fate. But before they die, they are going to bite and scratch, and steal and burn, and try and take what ever they can from others. They will become a mob and they will act without reason.

All of our government's deep secure bunkers and freeze dried meals are to keep them selves alive. They have no food strategic food stockpiles they can distribute to these people.Since they can not provide, and they can not produce, they are going to loose control within hours after the loss of the electric grid.

Then the mob will then turn upon the productive segment of society. They will raid the farms, refineries, warehouses, and drain and pollute drinking water reservoirs. Ultimately they will try and take from those of us who prepare. They don't know much about us now. But they will be desperate, so they will learn quickly. We will be the only resources left, we who prepare will become the target, for those who have not.

The last act of the mob will be the worst. Some stupid idiot is going to start a fire. Lots of fires. There will no longer be enough firefighters, or electric power, or fuel, or clear roads, or water pressure left to fight them. Every major city is going to burn to the ground. Our great nation is dying, and our great cities will burn on the funeral pyre.

During the Nazi occupation the French had a saying, Live Secret, Live Happy.

Buy some land in a rural area. Build a home with thick insulation, a wood stove, a big propane tank and gas cook stove. Drill your own well, install a large water tank. Mount some solar panel on the roof. Build a pantry and stock it with several years worth of food. Plant a garden, an orchard, buy some rabbits and chickens, but don't crow about it.

Do not tell the whole neighborhood or you sister that likes to tweet.

The bank will try and stay alive by seizing any home with a loan balance and positive equity. The county will try and tax anything with a new coat of paint.

But the mob is the real threat. A whole lot of people are going to be desperate and hungry and ****ed off at the fate, and they will transfer the blame onto anyone with a who has a single crumb more than they.

So prepare for the worst, prepare for the end of the civilized world, but don't miss the chance to keep your big mouth shut.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 47,161 Times in 13,785 Posts

The human mind is a funny thing. Often it believes what it wants to believe, rather than what the evidence seems to suggest.

Even if you really didn't have anything, there's no reason why some half-starved crazed individual might still try to kill you just to see whether you really are clean out, or were keeping back a few cans of spaghettios for your kids. So you can never rule that out no matter what face you put on, or how silent you are. Even if you look thin and gaunt when you answer the door.

That said, anyone who knows you were at the beginning of the event better prepared than others will, rightly, assume you are still better off at any point during the event than the general population. And it won't take long for people to start thinking you don't deserve to have all that stuff, that you took more than your fair share, and that it's fair and righteous for them to rob you.

Heck, I was seeing that sentiment posted on twitter and the like before most states were even instituting the quarantine orders.

I even talked with a Christian evangelist last week who adamantly claimed to me that preparing yourself and your family for survival was unrighteousness because it constituted doubting God and that it hurt other people. I guess he was thinking about people punching each other in the nose over toilet paper, perhaps not even considering that people could have prepared before the event occurred.

The Bible is full of preppers. I won't be denied the means to keep my family safe.

But I have definitely learned not to talk to people about it. Nobody takes you seriously. By the time they do, they are only doing so because the window of opportunity to prepare has past, and now they're thinking you might be their grocery store. Until then, they laugh you off. There's no benefit in it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,622 Times in 1,086 Posts

The speed at which they brainwashed people to accept shutting down economies to combat this virus, is proof what the OP says is right. People are no smarter or more trustworthy than they were during the spanish inquisition.

Someone says boo! they stampede in fear and someone says witch, and they will be looking for someone to burn.

1 in 2 people are getting cancer now, its the biggest plague since the black plague. ,If you have two kids, pick one to get cancer, thats how the numbers work now. This should be the biggest news since the moon landing, people from all nations marching on their government houses to demand answers. But barely a peep from anyone.

Meanwhile a flu that is 4x less likely to kill you than being obese is able to shut down the world in 1 day....Good heavens its like watching a global version of the war of the world radio play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post: