Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My neighbor was a prepper. I say "was" because... Allamakee County Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 72 02-16-2018 02:01 PM
Oldest "Human" Skeleton Found--Disproves "Missing Link" Ordr General Discussion 130 12-11-2014 07:24 AM
ISIS Hoodies and T-Shirts For Sale Online As Islamist "Brand" Goes Global cnpiso Political News and Discussion 9 06-23-2014 02:13 PM
Paranoid neighbor guns down two "hoodlums". subvetssn General Discussion 8 01-27-2014 09:55 AM
Missouri "Castle Doctrine" Law - Online Copy of Final Bill lildrestl3 General Discussion 1 01-10-2012 02:02 AM
Ever heard of a "Neighbor Beater" tomato plant? TacomaJPP Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 7 04-29-2011 05:17 PM
Mom "found out" I prep... thePraXis Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 03-18-2011 10:53 AM
Anyone Watching "Surviving Disaster" Episodes Online? stonecypher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 09-24-2009 09:09 AM

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Prepared

Default Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH!

Advertise Here

Editing it out so people stop finding me! HAHAHA

Thanks everyone!

I'm much calmer now! :D
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,274 Times in 1,434 Posts

Smile.....and call a realtor...
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to anchorbanger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,082 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Look at it this way. Now you know more about them than they know about you ... and even better, you know a lot more about them than you did before this happened. That gives you an edge and allows you to plan ahead of time for potential issues or conflicts. In the meantime, keep it cordial and friendly ... your friends close, but your enemies closer.

These people may turn into a great asset for you down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,566 Times in 741 Posts

I would love know specifically how she figured it out? that seems like way too big of a coincidence...

OF COURSE we all know that big brother is watching everything we post, but surprising that a neighbor pinned you down.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Micah525 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
100% Full Battle Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Look at it this way. Now you know more about them than they know about you ... and even better, you know a lot more about them than you did before this happened. That gives you an edge and allows you to plan ahead of time for potential issues or conflicts. In the meantime, keep it cordial and friendly ... your friends close, but your enemies closer.

These people may turn into a great asset for you down the road.
Summed up everything I had to say. Nice job.
The Following User Says Thank You to punkwaffen For This Useful Post:
Wide awake

Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,044 Posts

You must make them disappear.

Okay, that may be just a bit excessive. Most of us have a few neighbors or friends who are aware that we prep. That's how prepping groups are formed. There's no need to go out and slaughter that family just yet.

In reality, most people are all talk. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they keep their mouth shut. I sincerely doubt that you're in danger of being raided by the Robinsons just yet. My intuition is that very few in your neighborhood are starving to death yet. When things reach that level of desperation, you can deal with your nosey neighbors. You have between now and then to try to groom them into suitable members of your group.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapper6 For This Useful Post:
Adaptable.

Thanked 1,888 Times in 675 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Instructional Post Outstanding Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 3

Well, you can call a realtor, or realize that you found a next door neighbor that preps, and cares enough to read the boards. Sounds like you might have a valuable ally if you can get them to stock up. Help them get a garden of their own started!

But, If SHTF now, I'd say that you might want to sleep lightly.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Guerrilla For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM

You might startby trying to convince the neighbor that going door to door armed could be detrimental to their health. It is easy some times to get 2 + 0 to equal 4. perhaps you have your city or state listed in your profile at the other sight. that plus seeing you bring in the wheat led them to your door. OPSEC is an important part of prepping. It might be a good time to have a real heart to heart with your neighbor and start steering them in the right direction.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
This space for rent

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,184 Posts

Ummmm you do know she probably read this thread right? Better make her a garden buddy, share your knowledge and help her get her stuff together
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Big Andy1966 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,390 Times in 7,708 Posts

Actually this may be good. Before, you wouldn't have known your neighbors were potential looters, thieves, and killers; now you do. In a TSHTF situation, if you see them coming up your walk with guns ready, you won't have to wonder what they're up to. Or what the appropriate response is.

(Moving might seem like a good idea, but since they know you're a prepper... and what your name is, and might be able to figure out where you've gone by looking in a phone book - unless you relocate out of town moving could just be delaying the inevitable. Trying to 'tame' your neighbors by helping them prep through advice and maybe a few starter gifts like seeds and recipes, might be better.

It will also tell you if your neighbors are serious about prepping, or if they're just takers and posers and people you need to get away from.

Another worry is, who they might tell about you...)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Joe McCarthy was Right!

Thanked 9,354 Times in 2,957 Posts

And people wonder why I never post anything telling or any pictures. Ill stick to the politics and general sections and continue to take notes.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Crackshot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Who Watches the Watchmen?

Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,962 Posts

OPSEC PEOPLE OPESEC!!!

And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Ring the alarum-bell! Blow, wind! come, wrack!
At least we'll die with harness off our back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kroenen117 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM

I wouldn't freak out. Nothing has really changed, except like someone else said, now you know what to expect from them if something bad happens. That's a plus for you.
Maybe you can spend a little time educating this person and getting them on the right track. 2 people working together can do more than twice as much work as one working alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikemarlow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,466 Posts

[QUOTE=Crackshot;1387744]And people wonder why I never post anything telling or any pictures.

some time ago i belong to a group on a state forum that dealt with prepping and supplies for after the shtf type of liveing for we had this one guy join the group website and he was allways telling everyone on the website that they where really armchair survivalist and he was going to prove it .. he found out where about 7 of the people on the forum who he did not like plus the owner of the forum place and he took pictures of the place along with the gps coordinates for each place written in large letters on a piece of paper .. then posted it on the website where we went to to talk about diff things ..

he was banned along with the photos beening take off the website page ..but my thoughts are this one how many people saw those pictures and copyed them to there harddrive for future info if need be and the owner did give out the guy street address where he lived at the time ..i did hear a few member went to see him over the fact that he did that ..
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hank2222 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
On another forum that I frequent, posted a little "what I did that week to prep" update... (they don't visit this site, I asked what sites they go to before I posted here)

An hour later, neighbor rings my doorbell, says, are you "joyfulheart"?

Um, yeah. They figured it out based on a post of mine about buying wheat-- and having seen me carry some into my home....

Well, this neighbor tells me that they are also "preppers". They have a 20# bag of flour, and 10 cans of fruit in the garage... working on more, but that's it so far.

I congratulated them, offered some books to share, but was VERY Careful not to give any more info... (I guess there's more online posted than I realized if they found me that easily...)

Well, they mentioned they are going through difficult financial times right now, but that they are adding to preps as able.

Their plan if SHTF NOW? THey have LOTS of guns and ammo.
She told me they'd go door to door and take what was needed. They were prepared to do "whatever/anything" necessary for their family to survive.

UM... Did she just tell me that she plans on invading my house when they run out of food?

She also mentioned my garden. How nice it was, and helpful in "these times"... (invading that too?)

I made it clear that we also have plenty of weapons, and would either 1-- defend what we have, or also be out there searching....

I also said that the food we have would last our family less than 30 days-- mostly beans and rice--, and that 6 more relatives were heading over here in the event SHTF.. making our food supplies gone even sooner.

First, I'm going to stop posting, maybe edit some old posts when I have the time...

What else should I do? This is really freaking me out!

Just a matter of time before they find this website especially if they are just starting the prepping process. Do a google search "survivalist" and this site is on the 1st page.

I wouldn't freak out...just keep an eye on them and don't let them see what you are buying.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTGal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,608 Times in 643 Posts

I'd know where the first post shtf ammo usage would be, the best defense is a good offense in this case...
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Target Shooter

No tulips. The explosives thing was obviously a joke.

Last edited by jfountain2; 03-08-2010 at 08:15 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,824 Posts

Joyfulheart: I am not good with computers regarding laptops and wireless routing ect but could it be possible they are stealing your signal from your computer....Last year it was on tv how people sit in parking lots of say BEST BUY and steal credit card numbers from signals from the store......Can one of you computer experts chime in here and tell us if this could be happening with the OP....Thanks.....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Crazy old man

Talking

I understand how unnerved you about now. It's better to know the devil than not to know. Start teaching her that preppers are people who don't and won't go raiding, and keep a leary eye on them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zula For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM

joyfulheart you use survivalistboars, whenshtf, timebomb 2000, homesteadingtoday. That is just the first few sites I found. I have learned alot about you, I could really freek you out.

I would change my username on some sites and not have the same one.

I dont mean to freek you out, but google and a little knowlege goes along way
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zja08 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread