Survivalist Forum banner

Stuff lost in the woods

16K views 74 replies 71 participants last post by  NorthernOwl 
#1 ·
since we have a thread about weird stuff found in the woods, i think we should have a thread about stuff lost in the woods:thumb: so what have u all lost in the woods?

-myself: knives (both cheep knives), a canteen, a cheep camera, and socks...

edit, this thread could also possibly be a way to reconnect with lost items?

#5 ·
I lost my elastic tent poles when they fell out of their bag when backpacking. Luck would have it that I had enough Para cord to make a suspension shelter from underneath trees branches at the next stop on the trek. Someone that followed me must have said, “Look somebody lost their tent poles.” I never came across these elastic poles returning back that way asking people I crossed the trail with or turn-ins at the ranger station.

On another trip near Mt Whitney I found a fanny pack belonging to an English visitor. I turned it in at a ranger station including his passport, camera and many memory cards. I hope he was united with these things so he could get home…

#43 ·
Did she find her way back? Mine did, unfortunatly...

Lost a maglite and a whole lot of fishing equipment when I went through the ice once, other than that there's nothing I can think of actually. Maybe some socks, but they disappear all the time, even at home, so I don't know if they count...

#16 ·
I lost a pocket knife on an 8 mile hiking trip with my son, and it was not a cheap knife either.

The next day my daughter and I took my 4 wheel drive truck along the logging roads until we got within 1/2 mile of where I thought I lost the knife; then we hiked the rest of the way.

We found the knife on the ground, next to the log I sat down on. So it was only lost for a little while.

#18 ·
My front Teeth....I was on an Exercise called BorderStar while a cadet. I had 5 gallons of water in my ruck (along with a weeks worth of other stuff and a spare radio Battery) and while crossing a RR track in the dark of night I thought I had put mu foot down on a tie and caught grading instead. I slipped and my front teeth shattered on the rail. Needless to say I was trading the good stuff in my c-rats for the canned fruit for the rest of the week on the exercise.

#20 ·
Hmm, Any one ever consider tie downs or "idjit cords"? things like tying para cord to the hole in the silva compass to your button hole or belt?

This trick saved me $$ by not have to get replacement.

Yeah I once "misplaced" a map protractor, but found again. And a roll of TP. Fortunately I had spares.

#40 ·
I started doing that while on active duty. I made a paracord lanyard for my compass and my Gerber multi-tool.

I did lose a shoe in a lake while fishing once. I fell in, not more than 3ft from shore, and I never did find it. I spent more time looking for that shoe than fishing and taking a lot of ribbing from my friends at the time.
Funny now. Stinking like the lake, while wearing one soaked sock and one shoe.

#22 ·
I had a sweet kershaw dagger that slipped away from my pants while hiking some brush to cut across a ravine. I came back the following week and was able to spot the glimmer and retrieved it.
At the same spot I stashed an almost half bottle of cuzano rojo (with the salt) under a boulder. Came back 7 years later and it was still there. hm hmm

#24 ·
lost my temper in the woods loads of times.. the trees fear me for i am the Destroyer of rotten logs and small tiny sapplings.

but seriously i am glad i havent lost much of anything except a few pokemon cards at bible camp and a few fishing lures near that camp... when i did the ultimate cast.. and missed the water.

glad a few people have been retrieving what they have lost.

#25 ·
I lost my Leatherman Wave. I put it in the front pocket of my pack, which is just some webbing, and it fell out of a hole in it. It must have got ripped on some briars I hiked through or something, I don't really know. All I know is that I went to get a granola bar out of the pocket and it was gone, along with a cheap pair of sunglasses, and the granola bars. I turned around and went to look for it but to no avail, although I found one of the two granola bars.

#54 ·
Whhhhhy did you had to make this tread! This haunts me still! I am a fantastic on hikes to have perfect order in " my system "!

I feel your pain! I lost my Leatherman Wave aswell up in the mountain last year! I accually planning a trip up in the same area soon. And I`m going to search the area very well to try find it! Its probably half way rusten away, but if find me I plan to spent a fair ammount of time to fix it! :thumb:

#26 ·
not really in the woods but in a creek/river. Lost a kayak skirt, sunglasses, fishing supplies, fishing pole, and a bunch of other stuff. All when I flipped going over some weak class 2 rapids. buddy of mine lost his kayak cause he took the float foam out to put more supplies in. that was an epic fail lol, we had to swim down and drag it up which was no easy task in 8 feet of water LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.