"Rambo" survival knife - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Survival Knife" - How would you pack a hollow handle? Mudcat Stew Knives, Swords & Axes 79 12-20-2015 04:40 PM
Revisiting the "big blade" survival knife debate... SirThrivalist Knives, Swords & Axes 71 09-04-2015 11:32 AM
Best "pocket/folding/survival" knife? Big.T Knives, Swords & Axes 40 03-30-2015 11:43 PM
Question about a knife for "survival" mcswood Knives, Swords & Axes 24 03-22-2014 08:11 PM
Excellent! Knife Throwing as a "Survival Skill" GunnyHiway New Member Introduction 16 12-15-2013 11:25 PM
Media coins nutjob as a "survivalist/rambo" type NoMoreOp4 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 06-19-2011 12:05 PM
"Iron Age" Survival Knife Contest Karmakraze Knives, Swords & Axes 16 10-25-2010 11:56 PM
The "Survival Knife" perspective Rhino78 Knives, Swords & Axes 27 05-17-2010 08:08 PM
Double Review: Maglight "SOLITARE" and "Value Tools" Folding Knife Duncan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 05-22-2007 10:02 AM

Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
My main beef with the bushman is that it basically doesnt have a grip. I mean yeah, theres something there to grab, but round, tapered, and no guard. Its literaly a spear tip.
I wrapped mine with tennis racket tape. Did wonders with helping grip the knife better. The bushman above with the mountain bike grip looks good too and with a guard. I tried that but couldn't find the right size grip. Just my 2 cents.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,713 Times in 2,731 Posts

Found the one I was talking about. If you don't want to spend the money for a Reeves but want a hollow handle.....On e review is here:

http://www.canadianwildernesssurviva...%20Review.html
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Thanked 1,078 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac. View Post
Ok, I used the search function and did not find a thread with this title and didn't have time to read through a dozen or more threads to find something.

I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?
Don't minimize your chance of survival with a sub par knife. A small pouch or belt bag could hold all those items and you would not even no it was there. You could also make a custom sheath to carry those items.

But buying a knife that is made to hang on a wall and trying to work it will probably just lead to it breaking or at the very least a big disappointment.

Get a full tang quality made knife, there are a lot out there for a $130 and less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Target Shooter

I have a huge one, like Rambo 2, it is made by carl herbz or something like that says rostfrei on it which is german for stainless. It has the sheath, and round stone looking to sell this thing for a fair price or trade.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM

I have one of the "RAMBO II" mass produced knives. My dad won it in a drawing and gave it to me for Christmas one year. I worked it a little bit on a few hunting trips. The thing is a piece of chit. The leather sheath is well done but thats all the good I have to say about it. The compass quit working, the saw teeth wouldnt saw thru a roll of toilet paper and it wont hold an edge for crap. I think its made by United Cutlery but I would have to look to be sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to RZombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Prepared

Cold Steel Bushman. Tough blade with hollow handle. Cheap.
Get a rubber stopper and plug the hole in the handle.
Its not my preferred blade, but have carried it that way for 15 years with no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to NucMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 AM
I love this forum

Arrow Buckmaster, Hmmm...

Most RAMBO knives are cool looking but lack functionality.

The BUCKMASTER was the closest to functional. Even then Buck had problems with the blade staying on the handle. Only a full tang knife will survive harsh treatment.

So plan on getting a good knive and having to carry the survival stuff separately. Get a pouch to put the stuff in and fasten it to the knife sheath or put the knife in the pouch.

You also don't need a BIG knife for survival. I've seen guys dress a deer with a folding Barlow pocket knife. As long as you have a knife with good steel that holds an edge that's all you need.

If you really want a BIG knife get a Machete.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:21 AM
2REP 4e Compagnie

Quote:
Ok, I used the search function and did not find a thread with this title and didn't have time to read through a dozen or more threads to find something.

I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?

Hollow handle knives are a very bad choice in 99.99999999% of the time. Very few makers have had strong knives of this type and if you can find one you're going to pay major dollars for one.

Here are just a few of the faults:

* Blade tang is too short due to the hollow handle requirement. Handle can be easily separated from the blade during normal use and can cause serious wounds to the user.

* Hollow handle provides minimal space for useful items. The 2-3 matches you can put in the kit are better replaced by a flint/ferro rod or magnesium bar

* Compass inside the screw top is usually cheaply made and if you use the knife to chop and/or hammer with (aka use it in any fashion as a bushcraft or for any survival use other than slicing spam) the compass will be either broken or lose its ability to function correctly.

You are far better off if you buy a decent fixed blade knife with a full tang and then put together a sensible lightweight survival kit that fits into an Altoid type tin or pocket sized waterproof plastic case from Wally World.

That said, if you really really really really want a hollow handle knife for not a lot of money, then go with a Cold Steel Bushman. It's a single solid piece of steel, can handle side pressure on the blade/handle joint. You'll need to get rubber or cork stoppers for the hollow cavity and I strongly recommend you place your survival items in a plastic zip-lock bag before stuffing it into the hollow of the knife. You'll also want to wrap the handle with paracord, sports tape, or put a bicycle/motorcycle grip on it to make it easier to use. Though it has the hollow cavity you're looking for, it was primarily designed for ease of use in mounting it as a field expedient spear.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Silent Bob

Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,463 Posts

Quote:

Anyone have a lead?
I would just buy a good knife and then make your own mini survival kit to go with it.

Here is a link that will tell you how to build your own mini survival kit that goes on the sheath of a knife.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=121193

The person in the link used a BK7 but I've seen other threads where he did the exact same thing with a neck knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moirlend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Check out the Hawke's Hellion Survivor 2020, designed by Mykal Hawkes, and made by Tops Knife Company. It just came out, and sells for around $239.99. Sorry I don't have a link, just google it.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Thanked 1,078 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo9 View Post
Check out the Hawke's Hellion Survivor 2020, designed by Mykal Hawkes, and made by Tops Knife Company. It just came out, and sells for around $239.99. Sorry I don't have a link, just google it.
I know looks can be deceiving, but at first glance it looks like a hunk of junk wall hanger. Now I could be wrong, however I don't think I am.

The other think is it is way to big, might as well just buy a machete instead. I'll stick with my Gerber LMF II, and my SOG trident.

P.S. If anybody buys this knife, please give a review.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 AM

I bought a Fallkniven Modern Bowie. In my opinion the finest 21st century version of the Bowie knife. I bought it as a display piece and keep in in a glass wall case with a like-new 1957 Winchester 94 30-30 so the Winchester and Bowie are "safe queens". I kind of fell in love with Fallkniven's Pro series and own the F1, S1 and A1 pro's, which are little brothers of the Bowie. Honestly, the Bowie and even the A1 are too big for most practical bushcraft usage as a primary knife. The S1 Pro is my favorite knife of the bunch to USE.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:43 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,117 Times in 729 Posts

another decade old thread revival? Most people who posted haven't been online here in many years.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 10,756 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
another decade old thread revival? Most people who posted haven't been online here in many years.
Exactly.

Why revive a thread about Rambo knives to talk about a Fallkniven Modern Bowie that does not have a hollow handle, and costs over
$500 on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/Fallkniven-Kn...g-goods&sr=1-4
Old 03-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Prepared

i would not give 50 bucks for that knife.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Center Mass or Headshots

Default Hollow handle knife...Chris Reeve clone

Check out Schrade knives...they have several hollow handle knives made from one piece of steel similar to the Chris Reeve knives. I'm NOT saying that they are anywhere near the quality of Reeve's knives, but they are FAR above the ROM hollow handle knives. I have one, bought it on a whim...just to have it and because I wanted it. It's not going to be my "go to" knife, but I have it in the event that I want to use it.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,022 Times in 4,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
Fallkniven knives are well made and tested heavily in some circles; however, I agree, they are overpriced. I own a few and they are great knives, but for most of their knife prices, you could get an American-made custom knife.

ROCK6
Old 04-16-2020, 08:35 PM

Alternate hollow handle concept- Randall Model 17 – Astro
Handle has a good spot for a Ferrocium rod or two, and a fairly full tang. It can be a buy once cry once, but will last several lifetimes.
There are several places that have Randall’s in stock

https://nor****nives.com/collections...ttack-survival

https://nor****nives.com/collections...-5-1-2-astro-1

https://nor****nives.com/collections...ack-survival-1
Old 04-18-2020, 12:42 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mini14 View Post
Fallkniven knives are well made and tested heavily in some circles; however, I agree, they are overpriced. I own a few and they are great knives, but for most of their knife prices, you could get an American-made custom knife.

ROCK6

Anything from a Seki city factory will likely badly outperform most US custom makers, even high end ones like rj Martin and Vaughn Neeley. US custom makers are often terribly disappointing in edge holding, and the best edge holding I have seen for chopping wood was from a taiwan-made United Cutlery Rambo clone, wobbly handle and all.....

This is not to say all US custom makers are bad (unless they went for the cpm nonsense), but to me Seki city makers have only disappointed in sharpness, not what the steel actually was like, so you are taking a much bigger gamble with any custom. For that reason alone anything Seki city is worth a huge premium in my book, laminated steel or not....
Old 04-18-2020, 09:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,022 Times in 4,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston444 View Post
Anything from a Seki city factory will likely badly outperform most US custom makers, even high end ones like rj Martin and Vaughn Neeley. US custom makers are often terribly disappointing in edge holding, and the best edge holding I have seen for chopping wood was from a taiwan-made United Cutlery Rambo clone, wobbly handle and all.....

This is not to say all US custom makers are bad (unless they went for the cpm nonsense), but to me Seki city makers have only disappointed in sharpness, not what the steel actually was like, so you are taking a much bigger gamble with any custom. For that reason alone anything Seki city is worth a huge premium in my book, laminated steel or not....
I've been using US custom knives for 30+years, so, I'm not sure what your experience is, but most quality custom makers tend to have superior edge-retaining, heat treatment over anything coming out of Seki...which has always been well regarded and consistent.

That's not to say I've had issues with some. Even a Charlie May knife which was a few hundred dollars had a brittle edge that chipped. The carbon steels are far more forgiving and it takes more effort and attention to detail to do a differentially heat treated CPM steel correctly.

ROCK6