What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 1999 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 18 04-04-2020 03:47 AM
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 03:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 07:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 06:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 07:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 01:12 PM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 09:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 12:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 10:49 PM

Old 03-28-2020, 12:04 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 28,850 Times in 7,970 Posts

Advertise Here

Old 03-28-2020, 12:24 AM
Originalist

Thanked 1,458 Times in 597 Posts
Default What was your "Prep" for today?

Cleaned out the garden beds. The onions,m and garlic are poking up some green. Put a little mulch on top to protect them from the snow weíre getting overnight. Was able to get beets, carrots and potatoes planted in the ground.

Was able to plant tomatoes, several fresh herbs, bell peppers, jalapeŮos, zucchini, and cantaloupe in the garage under the grow lights.

Iíd never experimented with sourdough starter but decided to do that since itís been difficult to get good bread and the stores are out of yeast. I have some yeast but have always wanted to start a natural yeast starter so giving it a try. Iíd been feeding it for about a week but didnít get very good results.

I believe I made a critical error with it leaving it in a sunny window to warm it up. I think the sunlight killed a lot of the yeast. I dumped all but 3 tablespoons yesterday, gave it a nice feeding and gave it 4 hours on top of a heating pad. Itís been doing well now. Starting to smell yeasty and less sour so getting a more balanced microbe production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:55 AM
VIP Member

Money in the bank, once at the mill.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Money in the bank, once at the mill.

Dang that's a nice cedar tree. Western red? Valuable wood you are right. Money in the bank!

My prep for the day:

I split some firewood for about an hour this morning I'm hoping to dry out this summer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eero For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 12:21 PM

These ducklings are growing like crazy! They've tripled in size in the week and a half I've had them. Craziness.

I don't know what well be up to today, just hanging out probably. I may check around to see what stores actually stayed open that are not grocery stores.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omegaman13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:45 PM

Today I canned 18 pints of ghee and ordered a sleeve of canning lids from Lehman's. Gearing up to can some roast beef in a day or two.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MLPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,118 Times in 10,202 Posts

Received 5 pounds of chili powder, 5 pounds of paprika and a pound of white peppercorns. I would hate to run short!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 13,653 Times in 3,624 Posts

Started phase three of the conversion from junk storage shed to smokehouse. Cleaned up the insulation, animal droppings and leaves that fell out when I pulled down the plywood ceiling and then ditched around the upper foundation (it is a split level embedded in a steep hillside) the runoff was coming over the foundation through the damaged section of siding and flooding the lower level. Finally, cut away the rotted wood and started replacing the floor supports and joists that had been damaged. No, I was not preparing to go to market...yesterday when I pulled down the ceiling I just about choked on the dust from the all the crap built up between the two floors, plus the old fiberglass insulation, so I decided to smarten up a bit and wear a scuba mask to protect my nose and eyes and breath through a respirator.

I will post some pictures of the repair when I finish it, hopefully tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_123441.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	300468   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_123159.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	300470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200328_125604.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	300472  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 9mmMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:58 PM
Target Shooter

Continue with my weekly schedule of inventory checks. This week emergency supplies. Already pretty well updated due to current virus crisis.

Ordered omahasteaks almost 1/2 off sale with free delivery.

Prepped some biscuits for freezer.

Reviewed possible purchase of vacuum sealer with container attachments. Noting a lack of one gallon freezer bags. We have one case left. +I am already using o2 obsorbers and mylar+

Got my first order of instacart grocery delivery. The fruit and veggies were of middlin' quality. some bruising on apples. pepper and squash older than I prefer. But, I am glad I tried the online thing and will do it again. Just noting the lead times for regular delivery are two days later now than my original order.

Long day.... Up early to work out. I have a few free weigths. Wish I had got some more 45 lb plates. oh well...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keithp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithp View Post
Continue with my weekly schedule of inventory checks. This week emergency supplies. Already pretty well updated due to current virus crisis.

Ordered omahasteaks almost 1/2 off sale with free delivery.

Prepped some biscuits for freezer.

Reviewed possible purchase of vacuum sealer with container attachments. Noting a lack of one gallon freezer bags. We have one case left. +I am already using o2 obsorbers and mylar+

Got my first order of instacart grocery delivery. The fruit and veggies were of middlin' quality. some bruising on apples. pepper and squash older than I prefer. But, I am glad I tried the online thing and will do it again. Just noting the lead times for regular delivery are two days later now than my original order.

Long day.... Up early to work out. I have a few free weigths. Wish I had got some more 45 lb plates. oh well...
thanks for the info...ive been mulling whether to use instacart or not...for the same reasons as you. i really want to pick my own produce...have lots of frozen, but im missing the fresh...peapod is coming this week..im scheduled for deliver 13 days after i placed my order. site has been down all day and they ve already pulled things from shopping list...cottage cheese...wth? who s hoarding cottage cheese? sour cream also disappeared without a notification...im really hoping that they are back on line soon...because if most of my items dont show up, after 13 days im not going to be happy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,687 Times in 4,194 Posts

Weeded the winter garden. It’s an area next to the house well protected from the wind and gets full morning sun. Wife will be planting in a week or two. And we picked some pumpkins growing in the back yard. Home grown, organic pumpkin soup for lunch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,494 Times in 2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Considered "Essential Critical Infrastructure " here, too. Meaning, we are expected to have our butts at work unless we are sick/quarantined. Even have an official memo about it. In case there is a mandatory "shelter in place" order, we're supposed to show that memo to whoever stops us, to allow us to go to work as expected. Let the Games begin...

Same here, considered critical personnel by the State. I hate that, I wanted to work from home!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to htfiremedic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 10:48 PM
Time waits for no one

Thanked 1,430 Times in 321 Posts

Went for a run, cleaned the chicken coop, had the kids clean the basement. Quarantine is driving me up the wall! Just got told I have to work from home as much as possible.... I do CSI work. My co worker and I locked down our work stations and office areas. I like my space, stuck at home is terrible, I would much rather hunt zombies
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apathetic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,722 Times in 12,850 Posts

Decided to take advantage of some nicer weather and work on my Jeep. When I sold the Wagoneer, the buyer wants to restore it and wasnít interested in the fuel injection, so I removed it. Since my Scrambler uses the same motor and the carburetor was hashed anyway, it seemed a no brainer to put the fuel injection there. Unfortunately the gaskets didnít come off cleanly so I got to practice something I havenít done in a long time. Making gaskets from scratch. So out came the sheet of cork, razor blades, sharpie, and other bits. A little patience and I have two fully functioning gaskets and a throttle body now properly mounted on the Jeep. Tomorrow will be more tinkering.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 AM
VIP Member

In self isolation, with our two (2) great grand-children with us (boys).

Teaching them simple practical little things.

Taught them to make differing kinds of assorted DIY popsicles yesterday.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:08 AM
VIP Member

Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 AM
Target Shooter

Order 1k 9mm FMJ, another 25lb bag of rice, and hand soap
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IYAPYSNF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:35 AM
Endure ~ Adapt ~ Overcome

Fixed an old scanner that was not working.

Currently going through all my commo radios and figureing what to use/hookup

and where, Home or Vehicle.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MRBEALE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:42 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 18,471 Times in 4,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
In self isolation, with our two (2) great grand-children with us (boys).

Teaching them simple practical little things.

Taught them to make differing kinds of assorted DIY popsicles yesterday.

Well that cracked me up and brought back memories, thank you , we need these joyful moments !

I am really lacking in self discipline compared to my youth so I got on my bike and moderately worked out my heart and lungs again this morning , and the last few mornings , trying to gain capacity . Not quite as determined as you Bunkerbuster , I have not stepped on the treadmill in months nor picked up any free weights but just typing this makes me think, no time to get back on that horse than the present. Whoa how far I have fallen . I think self discipline is one of the strongest traits I need to work on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post: