Called to my daughters school because of her GHB - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soldier, Dad Turned Away at Daughters School Tango63 Political News and Discussion 34 09-11-2014 11:27 AM
Daughters Vacation. Dragunov General Discussion 11 07-01-2014 01:21 PM
Please help me and my daughters school work mcreynoldsair Controversial News and Alternative Politics 37 04-29-2014 08:33 AM
For Dad's with daughters Matchking Man General Discussion 2 02-11-2014 09:12 PM
Daughters new bf Gregz General Discussion 40 07-12-2011 07:00 PM
My daughters first gun Averageguy209 General Discussion 4 01-27-2011 05:15 PM
Daughters Tearmaker Jokes, Humor & Music 0 12-17-2010 11:36 PM
My Daughters school project. Dragunov General Discussion 12 11-19-2010 12:30 AM
President Obama's daughters get healthy school lunches. Why don't I? svxak47 General Discussion 6 08-11-2009 11:15 PM

Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Not Totally Clueless

Default Called to my daughters school because of her GHB

Advertise Here

OK - just need a place to vent a little irritation. Just got back from my daughters school (middle). Seems I had to go discuss her Get Home Bag and my views on them herding her off into a room in a big bundle of kids so if the S did HTF she could be a nice big target. My daughter is 12 and along with her school books carries in her backpack a bottle of water and in an small tupperware container a very small knife (think SOG Micron), paracord, 2 energy bars, a lighter and matches, some hard candy, 5 honey sticks, a small 1st aid kit and a flashlight. I have explained to her that while she needs to listen to her teachers in the event of a real shtf situation she needed to text me and we would discuss her being herded into a classroom or looking for an alternative exit. We have walked the school and picked out several. Anyway a classmate decided to get in her bag while she walked away and found the container opened it and then pulled out the knife and decided to open it. A teacher saw it and of course "panic". Long story short I had to go explain to the principal (who luckily I am on great terms with) that my daughter has carried that container for 4 years now and no one up until today knew. Policy is no "weapons" at school so we have to take the knife out - no punishment but dang it chaps my knickers that when I was a kid everyone carried something and now a midget knife dang nears causes a lockdown.

Last edited by wsttex; 05-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: forgot the 1st aid kit
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

I would approach this situation with the idea that my child did NOT have a weapon. She was, however, in possession of a cutting tool for emergency needs like cutting bandages, string, rope and so on. It is not long enough to be a deadly weapon, just a cutting tool. Sort of like having sissors only shorter and smaller.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
"Not vengence Punishment"

That sucks.

I have carried a knife since 4th grade (late 70's) and that was some stock man knife given to me by a Dallas Police officer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amra910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Did you bring beer???

Thanked 1,435 Times in 516 Posts
Default I'm sorry

It's really unfortunate, but the school district is right. If they were to make an acception for your daughter (or my son), they would have to make it for everyone. I'm completely on board to having a GHB for kids, but I think that might cause more trouble in the long run (only the knife of course).

My suggestion would be to cache the knife and fire burning tools. This would eliminate her having to fight with the school about her right to carry tools of survival, and also possibly get her out of the emergency situation at the school itself.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CheapThrill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,341 Times in 1,314 Posts

To replace the knife, get her a pair of take-apart scissors like these - http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=3846. It will do 80% of the jobs a good knife will do, and 95% of what a micro knife will do plus extra stuff. On the list of school supplies for students is, none other than - Scissors! Next time it won't raise eyebrows as much when another student invades her privacy.

BTW - I hope you brought up the invasion of privacy by the other student to the principal when you spoke. Personally, I would have come unglued as well as filed a pro se lawsuit against the school and student. Even if I didn't win, it would have really ****ed up some people's day.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

Unfortunately , most of the school systems are controlled by liberals . They want the kids to be helpless sheep .
A little pocket knife in a backpack is a weapon , REDICULOUS !!! What about the knives and forks they use in the lunchroom ? Are they weapons too ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,215 Times in 574 Posts

I thought GHB was Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate Ha Ha
http://www.projectghb.org/what_is_ghb.htm
Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Gravity is a Theory.

Thanked 6,537 Times in 1,990 Posts

Its kind of common sense to not bring knives of any size or kind to school, just replace it with a small pair of scissors. I'm assuming she wont be doing any shelter making or any other "bushcraft" with her tiny little key chain knife.

Glad to hear she wasn't in any trouble, as she obviously wasn't out to hurt anyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goosed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Zombie Hunter

I had a similar incident when in HS I had a first aid kit that I had in my bag that had a IM needle without syringe in it. It was my dad's first aid kit and didnt know it was in there. incase you are wondering why they work amazingly to take out splinters. Never got in any trouble after by father was brought in and explained the whole matter.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Hunter

What you need to be chapped about is some little SOB got into your daughters bag while on school grounds. My daughter had her cellular phone stolen that way. It was for emergency use only, and to let us know that she was on her way home (on the days she had to walk, otherwise it was turned off at all times) It was well hidden and it was still stolen.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to brutalsun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Skeptic

Gotta say, rules are rules in this case. Just be glad nothing truly bad happened- she could have gotten off much worse.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,504 Times in 2,013 Posts

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

You're lucky your kid wasn't on the national news for this nonsense.

There are enough sheep in this very thread to make a nice army blanket.

Had to go find the two news stories from last October on my blog:

One story.

Two story.
The Following User Says Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Ummm... she's TWELVE. I don't know that a 12 year old will have the emotional or mental capacity to set up shelter, start a fire, etc. in such a situation. Give her food and water, and call it good.

We have to be smarter than this guys. Through prepping we're trying to be smart. Sometimes NOT prepping is the smartest move, and I'd say this is such a situation.

As a dad, I understand your concern, but I'm somewhat alarmed by your decision to pack all of that stuff in her bag. What decisions are you going to make when the S DOES hit the fan? I'm not trying to be mean, but these are difficult issues that need to be addressed BEFORE TSHTF.

One more thing, do you really believe that the staff would allow ANYONE in (you) or out (your daughter)? If you do, I challenge you to think again.

Sorry to have strong words. I care, or I wouldn't bother.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Hiker

ima play devils advocate
why would you or what do you think is a good idea or when your thinking its ok for a 12 year old to bail out of school when ****s hitting the fan?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 PM

The reason for the alarm is not that those items are bad, but because we need to not call attention to ourselves unduly. We as parents need to really think through every decision we make. This could cause some problems for you where your kids are concerned (as in... you might get a visit from the state). I hope you answered the school's questions more wisely than how you made that decision to send all of that stuff with her.

I'm being strong to make a point. We must scrutinize our decisions. I'm sorry if this is offensive. Like I said, if I didn't care, I wouldn't bother.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Ummm... she's TWELVE. I don't know that a 12 year old will have the emotional or mental capacity to set up shelter, start a fire, etc. in such a situation. Give her food and water, and call it good.

We have to be smarter than this guys. Through prepping we're trying to be smart. Sometimes NOT prepping is the smartest move, and I'd say this is such a situation.

As a dad, I understand your concern, but I'm somewhat alarmed by your decision to pack all of that stuff in her bag. What decisions are you going to make when the S DOES hit the fan? I'm not trying to be mean, but these are difficult issues that need to be addressed BEFORE TSHTF.

One more thing, do you really believe that the staff would allow ANYONE in (you) or out (your daughter)? If you do, I challenge you to think again.

Sorry to have strong words. I care, or I wouldn't bother.
amen well stated
up here our schools are shelters i.e stronger then your average bear booboo
grown and trained men FAIL under stress all the time.
just these 2 items make me wonder why you would think its ok. and trust me i have lots of other reasons but i will leave it at this for now
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 PM

EDIT: This was a response to this:

ima play devils advocate
why would you or what do you think is a good idea or when your thinking its ok for a 12 year old to bail out of school when ****s hitting the fan?

Because parents will do ANYTHING to get their kids back should something happen. That is a HUGE control point. I just don't believe that anyone would be successful getting in or out. That's the point of a l0ckd 0wn.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
My 11 year old would be able to make a shelter and start a fire... Yours wouldn't. I am sorry to hear that.

And as I always say to anyone who asks, a knife is not a weapon, but a tool. In fact it is one of the oldest tools known to man. It is the one that separates us from the monkeys.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Hiker

im a parent also and also my wife is nanny to my 3 nephews 2 are in grade school. our own is jr high hitting high school next year. i expect a lockdown. i as THE ADULT need to ascertain what exactly is going on what threat level we are in. until then i expect the kids to remained buttoned up at the school.
question ? how many have actually seen a written protocol from the school for their lockdown procedures?
The Following User Says Thank You to AlaskanTaterTot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar615 View Post
My 11 year old would be able to make a shelter and start a fire... Yours wouldn't. I am sorry to hear that.

And as I always say to anyone who asks, a knife is not a weapon, but a tool. In fact it is one of the oldest tools known to man. It is the one that separates us from the monkeys.
grown men fail under pressure all the time. im glad you have faith in yours. hope your right and i am wrong.......................