What items did you up cycled instead of throwing them away. - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throwing Ax Ferrari Knives, Swords & Axes 17 09-01-2015 02:48 PM
Throwing knives mm3814 Knives, Swords & Axes 51 04-21-2015 06:15 PM
100 must have items for prepper's.. survival and barter items gary1295 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 47 01-07-2015 08:56 PM
Throwing Axes theairgunman Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 44 02-25-2013 04:03 PM
Throwing Axe Recommendations? Slim Jim Knives, Swords & Axes 4 07-02-2012 11:38 AM
Just for fun: How many items in the pile of survival kit items can you name? DBR Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 07-27-2011 09:08 AM
Throwing it out there... NFNF Books, Movies & Stories 17 03-08-2011 07:02 PM
Just throwing this out there surgicalstrike Urban Survival 8 12-31-2010 01:37 AM
Throwing knives neo_tree Knives, Swords & Axes 14 05-07-2008 11:02 AM

Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

I was going to buy a drill press at harbor freight but then this one popped up on craigslist. They wanted $20 for it and it sounded like it was destined for the trash. I am going to take it apart and rebuild it so it works like new. It runs fine at the moment but has some play in the spindle (I hope its just bearings) and the spring is no longer returning it back up. SOLID cast iron drill press that I hope to give to my son or daughter someday...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	86266  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emclo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,715 Posts

I know a guy who built his own house -- a rather nice one, too.

He painted the outside with used motor oil.

It looked OK, didn't smell too bad.

[And no, it was not me~!]
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,715 Posts

My recycling and hoarding correlates with how poor I am.
As I've gotten richer, I do less recycling and repurposing,
although the motivation is still there.

Also -- Up to the third wife now, who doesn't understand.

I grew up very poor with people who had known the Depression.
Lots of things got fixed in ways we don't see now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,206 Times in 5,725 Posts

Give me a car your going to scrap and I can remove 1,000 parts I can repurpose.
That's no joke, my kids know this to be true.
All too often I see things marketed in the wrong direction and the product dies on the shelf.
I have tried to contact the manufacturer and they are not to be found. very sad.
We live in a wasteful society that looks down on any one out of line.
We are out voted when it comes to determining the value of something simply because THEY don't see a use for it.
I try to maintain some level of organization, other wise there is little point of saving things, if you can't find them.
I have cabinets for plumbing and electrical and fasteners and you name it.
Remember though , When you are gone , all this STUFF is junk, to any one coming to clean it up.
Because they do not know squat.
I had given a perfectly good clean 10 horse power 3 phase motor to a scrap dealer and you know what he did with it ?
Smashed it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Prepared

discarded plastic bags make great rope
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to asemery For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,031 Times in 523 Posts

One of my favorite 're-purposes' was the old 50mm freezer panel I used to fix up my camper and fill in the notch where the cab used to be. Later I skinned off some steel and folded up a nice big back box. The edge folds were easy, I welded a couple of 4 " pieces of angle iron into the jaws of a pair of vice grips, by working your way back and forth you get nice neat folds. The big fold to make the floor/back of the box was little harder, being 2 meters long and all. That one was laid on the concrete, a scaffold plank on the fold line and the car parked on top. That fold turned out a little rough compared to the others, but it's inside where you can't see it. Worked out well.

I'm prone to buying good second hand tools rather than new cheap junk. The cute lil Cigarbox blues guitars I make are largely recycled stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to zemio For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,770 Posts

I have upcycled so many things that I couldn't even begin to remember them all.

I have made curtains, sundresses and caftans out of sheets, a little girl's dress out of a pillow slip, a fancy nightie for my sil out of some left over lace fabric I found in a rag bag that was about to be tossed.

I have made beautiful rag rugs out of old worn or torn t-shirts. It takes about 20 t-shirts to make a nice-sized one. I'm going to do that again if I can ever find my instructions.

In thrift shops, I have bought men's dress shirts for a couple bucks--the fancy ones with ruffles in front and on the sleeves and made them into shirts for myself. The fabric in men's shirts is superior to most women's blouses and lasts much longer, so it's worth the effort. I buy a shirt that fits me and then cut off the sleeves a couple of feet--lol. Then I sew the cuffs back on at the right length and I have a nice fancy, easy to care for business-type shirt for myself that I can wear with a suit or dress pants. No one has ever noticed that some of my shirts button on the "wrong" side although when I get a compliment, I always tell the truth.

I have used egg crates as seed starters. I even used to make seed starters out of newspaper by folding it around the bottom of a small glass. I save all broken pots to use in the bottom of other pots for drainage. I also use a piece of old, thin fabric or netting or an old beat-up flyswatter in the bottom of pots to keep the pests out of the pots and away from the plant's roots.

When I was a 19-year old in my first apartment, money was a bit tight and I wanted patio furniture. I got quite a few milk crates--the old fashioned metal, industrial-looking kind--from a supermarket, free. I stacked two of them upside down for tables and we sat on one or two of them on cushions that I made. No matter how much we partied, my patio furniture never broke--lol. I don't know how well this would work with the modern plastic junk but at least you could use them for tables. I also used them to stack a few plants on them and in them, turned on their sides for watering, on the patio.

This one is really unique. When mama and daddy were newlyweds, mama was aghast at furniture prices. Of course, daddy, the big spender, just told her to go buy whatever she wanted but she was too much of a penny pincher for that. She made him take her out to the local east Texas oil fields to find and rescue abandoned spools from drilling leases. They are like sewing thread spools but a million times bigger--just the right size for occasional tables. They are extremely sturdy and weigh a ton.

Mama took her spools, cleaned them up, padded them and upholstered them with beautiful rose/pink fabric to match her beautiful rose/pink camelback sofa. Then, she put some of her beautiful homemade lamps on them, some also made from oil field castoffs or big unique bottles. I grew up with those spools, the unique lamps and that sofa, until I was 14 although by that time, some had been relegated to places other than the living room. I always had one beside my bed and my friends loved it. The penny pincher taught me not to look at things for what they are but for what they can be.

I gave my sister an idea for decorating an outside Christmas tree. Her house is set back from a gravel road used only by them and a few neighbors. They had a beautiful 15+ foot tree in front of the house that's perfect for decorating. We collected LOTS of computer disks and when the season was upon us, she sent her young monkeys up the tree to hang them. It looked great from the road, disks moving in the breeze and reflecting the light. After Christmas, they had a little target practice--lol. Plus, it cost a lot less than the lighted life-size Santa, sleigh and reindeer that daddy bought. The kids loved having Santa on the roof but it wasn't a cheap thrill.

She also decorated pillars in the front of the house with wide strips of junk red fabric, probably sheets, slanted diagonally so from a distance they looked as if candy canes were holding up the front of the house. Now, that's some really cheap repurposing and upcycling.

ETA: I also drill holes in the bottoms of free 3-6-gallon buckets and use them as planters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 03:25 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,771 Times in 953 Posts

I buy golf towels at yard sales and use them as shop rags.. Most already have a brass eyelet in them and some even have a hook thingy on them so I can hang them on nails around my shop. I do small engine repair and they sure come in handy. If my wife doesn't want me to throw the fuel and oil soaked rags in the washer, I can just toss them. I usually get them for 5o cents each, less if I buy a bunch of them..

Wooden golf club (drivers) are great for making ducks out of. Cut the shaft off, clean all the varnish or paint off them (beautiful laminated wood is usually hidden under that stuff) and then carve a ducks head out of bass wood and put it where the shaft used to be..

Then the golf balls. I cut half the cover off using a PVC guillotine style cutter.. The inside of modern golfballs is a solid core that can be easily carved into caricature faces. Drill a 1/8" hold in the bottom, shove a golf tee in the hole and it'll stand on it's own if you get it lined up correctly..

Old leather baseball mitts are great sources for scraps of leather for many projects. First basemans mitts usually have large pieces that can be used to make leather wallets. Try and leave the logo on the leather that's exposed on the wallet. Nice and soft leather wallets.

Bought a roll of 4" wide nylon webbing I'm trying to make knife or tool pouches out of, not to happy with the results there yet.

I love going to yardsales and I'm always thinking of ways of using things in ways not originally intended for.

Ohh, those play room mats the kids have with the letters, numbers, and shapes that are about 3/4" thick.. I have them in the bed of my pickup truck so the ridges don't kill my knees when I have to crawl in there. I have a canopy over my bed so they don't blow out.. Those are the 6x6 size and they all lock together.

I bought two bags of the 12x12 size and put them in the floor of my step van I use for my mobile small engine repair business..

My neighbor says that screams pedophile.. Then I told him I'm going to get a bumper sticker that says "The only good thing about pedophiles is they slow down in school zones.." He walked away shaking his head..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Preparanoid

I have a can opener that takes the lid off horizontally with a very clean, non-jagged edge. I clean the can and then snap the lid back on and it is a very cool way to hide valuables. I usually stash ammo, like this can below. It has 100 rounds of .22LR vacuum sealed in a food saver bag. Buried among the 1000's of other cans in my food storage, my "stash" cans are pretty hard to detect. The only problem is when I send my kids down to the pantry, half the time they bring me a can of ammo instead of the veggies I sent them for!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Buzzkill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Target Shooter

I gutted a broken gas grill and use it for charcoal. It works wonderfully.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IlikeSa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Hiker

The wife up cycles used glass jars into liquid soap dispensers. I use old tailgates to build benches.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheepsk8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Hiker

Also old gas grills can be converted to potting table. Or a planter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheepsk8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,316 Times in 979 Posts

* plastic containers get saved to use as paint / stain containers when woodworking.

* yard and kitchen waste - where possible - goes on composting heap.

* We use the canvas bags for shopping, but when we do get plastic bags, they're always saved for trash bags.

* I'll take old sporting goods stuff - like hockey sticks and skis - whether my own or found trashed, and make them into adirondak style chairs or similar.

* Plastic containers from things like pretzels or whatever make great containers for various workshop parts or fasteners.

* Before throwing something out, it it's good enough for Goodwill or Freecycle or Craigslist, it goes there before the trash.

* Old clothes cycle from good enough for business casual at work, to regular use, to garden / outdoor work, to rags, before finally thrown out.

* Wood or pallets that I happen to find someone getting rid of get collected and stored for future reclaimed woodworking projects. (I don't sell my stuff. I'm just a hobbyist building for house and gifts, but the guy at the store where I buy the shades for lamps I make says they could sell for up to a few hundred $$$. And they're made from JUNK except for the hardware and shade!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,868 Times in 3,816 Posts

I recently turned road kill- into art for my display cabinet. That some hard core up-cycling!

Where's my best of show ribbon? LOL!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 01:39 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

Just today I recycled some crappy, China made wooden clothespins. Used the crappy, horrible little nubs of wood in the garden to clip up some tomato vines. That's about all they are good for because they damn sure wont' hold clothes on the clothes line.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
Just today I recycled some crappy, China made wooden clothespins. Used the crappy, horrible little nubs of wood in the garden to clip up some tomato vines. That's about all they are good for because they damn sure wont' hold clothes on the clothes line.
I used the springs from same clothespins from same supplier and made longer pieces of wood to use them as clamps building model boats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sawhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,886 Times in 2,878 Posts

I had a cheap carport collapse on my wife's '77 vette this winter. I saved parts of the frame that were still useable and made a greenhouse out of them along with some plastic sheeting from home depot.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0341 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

You've got a greenhouse made out of a Corvette frame????

Just kidding.

Must have sucked when that happened. During hurricane Ike a tree fell on a '65 Ford pickup I had. I moved it, but it wasn't far enough or in the right direction. Smashed it in two practically. The windshield and the back glass popped out intact though.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Target Shooter

I re-use my juice bottles for bottles for my homemade laundry detergent. Ez to give to friends that way too, & stronger than just the gal jugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to tree369 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Not Totally Clueless

I took 12 pieces of large brick and 15 pieces of larger slate - dug a fire pit and lined it with the brick - used the dug up dirt and sand to level it off and put the slate down and took the dirt and filled in the gaps. I have some very small river rocks that I am going to put on the sand and will have a permanent start to an outdoor kitchen for canning and cooking. Next phase will be a bench and BBQ/smoker
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wsttex For This Useful Post: