Survivalist Forum banner

Why do you prefer the handgun you do?

37K views 277 replies 143 participants last post by  bullwoods 
#1 ·
When people post a preference be it semi-auto vs. revolver or make vs. make or model vs corresponding models, seldom does anyone make the case as to why. I mostly assume it is because that is the one they own.

People are more clear when they do not like a particular gun. They have had a problem and this gives us all a heads up.

I would like to see post below with objective reasons why you prefer one or more guns.

#3 ·
i prefer two handguns.. one is my CZ 75 SP01.. i prefer it because its about the only steel frame double stack 9mm still produced, has a reputation for quality, reliability, and accuracy, and the SP01 version with the rail lets me mount a light for home defense

the makarov PM i use for EDC is preferred because its probably the most reliable handgun currently in existence while delivering a cartridge more than adequate for defense while still being compact and light enough to carry daily, the straight blowback will be less prone to certain issues recoil operated pistols have, and overall greatly simplifies the design into something that in all likeliness will last forever

my next pistol i am leaning towards a custom G19L build (g19 frame with G17 slide/barrel) and the reason i am interested in that one is it gives you better accuracy, more slide mass is great for reliability, i like a longer slide for an open carry/duty/combat pistol while the shorter G19 length frame is compatible with more magazines (both G19 and G17).. replacement parts and aftermarket is literally everywhere for them as well and will be a better shtf option than a CZ when it comes to having to acquire spare parts for repairs

#34 ·
i prefer two handguns.. one is my CZ 75 SP01.. i prefer it because its about the only steel frame double stack 9mm still produced, has a reputation for quality, reliability, and accuracy, and the SP01 version with the rail lets me mount a light for home defense

the makarov PM i use for EDC is preferred because its probably the most reliable handgun currently in existence while delivering a cartridge more than adequate for defense while still being compact and light enough to carry daily, the straight blowback will be less prone to certain issues recoil operated pistols have, and overall greatly simplifies the design into something that in all likeliness will last forever

[/QUOTE

It's not my EDC, but I too love my Makarov PM for its reliability and accuracy.

The CZ75 Compact is on my shopping/trade for list too.

#5 ·
As far as semi-auto's go for me it's either a 1911 or a Glock. My reason for these choices is pure and simple, availability of parts. I can get just about any part for any gun in good times. But I can heavily stock up on parts for the 1911 and Glock's at very little expense.
My picture of EOTWAWKI I may be cut off from support for a long time. If parts are needed and I don't already have them I won't be getting them. Yes I do own guns that I don't stock parts for but these are not ones I rely on. They are for the most part shooting toys and if they break and I can't get parts, Oh well.

#6 ·
Revolvers give me the feeling of reliability and confidence. I started under Dad’s training with a Colt revolver and a Colt 1911. The revolver was easier to draw a bead. True old style combat sights on a Gov 1911 were minute.

As a kid I flinched at the 45 acp recoil, leter learned to master it. The 38s were easy and I had better mastery of the wheel gun.

So since then, many autos and revolvers later I still slide a revolver into my holster every day. Now if the Zombies start walking, all bets are off, I go straight for the mini-gun.

#9 ·
I dont really prefer one pistol over the other I prefer features and quality construction

I like
smooth creepless triggers
good sights
moderate recoil
moderate magazine capacity

but generally what i roll with is determined by the situation

I do like CZ prolly my favorite out of the box gun maker in a reasonable price range

glocks
sigs
revolvers I like ruger

#10 ·
The past 20 years or so, SIG's and then Glocks have been my choices. They work out of the box, with no break in, and just keep going without issue.

The main reason for switching from SIG to Glock, was simple economics. More guns and accessories for the $$. Commonality of cheap mags is also a big plus.

Revolvers, Ive always liked S&W's, and especially DAO guns, and thats really never wavered.

Ive owned Colts and others, but they just never seemed to have what it takes to push the S&W's out of first place.

As much as I like and shoot the revolvers, I still prefer the autos over them.

#12 ·
1. It fits my hand. I can manipulate the controls without altering my grip. Mag release, slide stop, hammer drop (one of them has one). This is most important reason.

2. I shoot it very well. It is comfortable and I can pick up the sights very quickly.

3. It is very reliable. One has over 10,000 rounds through it without a hiccup that wasn’t my fault. It will feed an empty, resized casing.

4. I can carry it comfortably.

Is really does not matter the make and model, it has to fit these 4 requirements.

#13 ·
I have multiple guns that I like for different purposes ... well into double digits, but focusing on guns that I spend the most time with and/or view as the most valuable for defensive purposes, as I assume that's the primary focus for the question:

Kimber Solo - my EDC. I like it because it disappears in a pocket, is 9mm, the design doesnt snag on fabric, the sights are decent/I am fairly accurate with it, and it's metal. It also was (IMO) a very good-looking gun when I got it, but the frame finish hasn't held up well.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - spends a lot of time in my car console. I like it because it's very capable and reliable, offers more capacity than the Solo, but is still fairly compact.

SIG P226 - primary home defense handgun. I can be very accurate with this gun at self-defense ranges, even relatively long ranges. Good capacity and I like the controls. Feels solid and high-quality. Runs like a top with any ammunition I have tried in it.

Long guns:

Iver Johnson M1 Carbine - I may be the only person on this board who will say that an Iver Johnson product is a primary home defense gun, but, it's reliable, handy, powerful enough but not to the point that I think overpenetration is a big concern, good capacity.

AR-15 (one I built, mainly using Aero parts) - A bit more powerful than the M1 Carbine and with with more flexibility for how to to set it up (light, laser etc).

Remington 870 Police Magnum - works great, smooth, high-quality. Mine was made in 1989. Not sure I'd have faith in a new one.

I will end it there, but I haven't even mentioned most of my actual favorites as far as collectibles or what I enjoy the most at the range. WWII stuff, skeet gun, trapdoor etc.

To me, it's not really about liking or disliking a gun. It's about liking or disliking a gun for a particular use.

#17 ·
I have multiple guns that I like for different purposes ... well into double digits, but focusing on guns that I spend the most time with and/or view as the most valuable for defensive purposes, as I assume that's the primary focus for the question:

Kimber Solo - my EDC. I like it because it disappears in a pocket, is 9mm, the design doesnt snag on fabric, the sights are decent/I am fairly accurate with it, and it's metal. It also was (IMO) a very good-looking gun when I got it, but the frame finish hasn't held up well.

Glock 19 Gen 4 - spends a lot of time in my car console. I like it because it's very capable and reliable, offers more capacity than the Solo, but is still fairly compact.

SIG P226 - primary home defense handgun. I can be very accurate with this gun at self-defense ranges, even relatively long ranges. Good capacity and I like the controls. Feels solid and high-quality. Runs like a top with any ammunition I have tried in it.
Since I regularly train with several, models similar to the above are part of my regular rotation. Substitute the SIS for the Solo, and Gen 3 for the Gen 4. To that, add the P220 as well as the P226, Glock 17 and as of late the M&P 2.0. Oh, and the Glock 41 Gen 4. So I train with 7 all with the same objective: SD and PP.

I don't want to get locked into one and only one and have it have an issue where spare parts may not be readily available. Also, thanks to the changes in the CMP rules for pistol matches, some of what I train with is also CMP legal. One of my objectives is to earn a Distinguished Pistol tab to go with the Distinguished Rifle. Since a lot of my training is at 25 yards I will eventually narrow it down to one of the approved handguns and from there begin to work on shooting at 50 yards.

#16 ·
The .40 M&P Shield tucked into the waterbed next to me? Because it is what I have for that purpose. Also it meets all my criteria, lightweight, compact, reliable, thumb safety.

The Highpoint C9 in my BOV? Tough, reliable, cheap, thumb safety.

Yes, I have a Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag but I just don't particularly care for revolvers, so it is just a novelty pistol, never been fired.

#18 ·
Now when you say "prefer":

I PREFER 1911's, Hi Powers, and Prelock S&W's because they have great triggers (P35's need a little TLC first), are sex as hell, feel good, shoot well, and did I mention sex as hell?!?!!!!

I CARRY/use glocks. (Currently wearing a 23 and 27) even though they are ugly, interchangeable, have no soul, not as accurate, trigger is NO WHERE NEAR as nice (did mention ugly?) And don't feel as good.
Why you ask?
They work, are durable, and they are accurate ENOUGH. (Subcompact yealds "several" hit's on chest-sized steel at 100 per 9-10 round mag)
And (big one when I joined the dark side) the 23 and 27 (or back then 19 and 26) share magazines.

Big improvement from my 1911 and 649 (.357 shrouded hammer J frame)
-I also shot a lot better with the 26 vs 649.

Buddy of mine is an HK snob (I've owned quite a few, still have a couple) and he admits the price point gains him nothing in practical accuracy or reliability.

A M&P with an apex trigger would do fine, but not without, I was already into glocks, and don't have to make modifications of they come with NS.

It's a hammer, a 1911 or a nice Smith is a premium sportscar.

Don't need a fancy hammer.

I'm sure I'm butchering Col Cooper (again) but he said something along the lines of: "sites you can see, and a trigger you can use"

Hand me anything that's of decent quality and I can make it work, but the parts/mags/durability of the glock make it simple, and If I can't have a good single action trigger I perfer repeatable vs the 2 different triggers of a traditional DA (although again.... I can make it work.)

#22 ·
Same story as most.
Most often G19 because it's the best fit between size, capacity, and features (4" barrel, reliability, accessory availability, etc...).
Kahr CM9 and J-frame for pocket carry. Depends on what I'm wearing and what I feel like.
I also have a 1911 and G17 that I carry OWB at times. When the mood suites me...

#23 ·
I own, and have carried regularly, Glocks (including G27, G22, G17, G19, and G21); S&W M&P9FS; 1911; Sig P220 and P320; Makarov; H&K Mk23; Beretta M9; and S&W Shield. On top of that I've fired countless others. My go-to is a G19. No other gun offers everything it does.

1. Reasonably priced
2. Accurate enough (no problem keeping everything on an IPSC steel at 100 yds)
3. Reliable
4. Small enough to conceal
5. Large enough to shoot well
6. Easy to work on
7. Parts are available everywhere, cheaply
8. Good capacity
9. Readily available, cheap magazines
10. Insane aftermarket.

#24 ·
Glocks are probably the gun that has the biggest gap between who actually likes them, and who some people perceive as liking them. Of the people I know, the more experienced they are with guns and the more time they spend training, the more likely they are to own and rely on Glocks. The damn things just work. But then you see people online (including here) who have this idea in their heads that they have trouble letting go of, that Glocks are mostly owned by 20 year old Eminem fans. It's actually kind of funny.

#25 ·
I always thought I was too old to change. After decades of 1911s and big 357s.

I carry a G43 in town. I love shooting that thing after adding the Ameriglo Spartan sights.

Fishing and playing around I enjoy the Ruger LCR. The trigger is not bad at all. It doesn't compare to my old colts or model 36s but it's a light revolver.

Never thought I would carry modern guns. I talked a lot of crap about polymer. I was wrong. I have G30sf in the truck. My buddies still give me hell about it but I out shoot them all the time with their 30+ year companion 45. Hahahaha

#26 ·
Glock 19 Gen 3 is my favorite handgun of all times. Why?

It has less than 40 parts and I can replace any of them in less than 5 minutes with nothing more than a finish nail.

It is supremely reliable.

It has an insane amount of both factory and aftermarket support.

Mags are cheap.

It is very compact, while still being a duty size gun making it great for CC.

I shoot it very well.

It gives me great confidence when it is on my hip.

It has a consistent trigger pull.

It is beautiful to me. And yes I own many other handguns and have owned some high end 1911s.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#27 ·
Glock 19 Gen 3 is my favorite handgun of all times. Why?

Mags are cheap.

It is very compact, while still being a duty size gun making it great for CC.

I shoot it very well.

It gives me great confidence when it is on my hip.
Agreed on above points. It will also take G17 mags. I have both OC'd and CC'd mine. It shoots very well.

#28 ·
To be a handgun, whether pistol or revolver, is simply a tool. If it is safe, simple to maintain, reliable, accurate enough and powerful enough to do the job, I don't care.

I am partial to DA revolvers because they are what I first trained with and carried. A +P capable 6-shot .38 Special is my common carry, but if country restrictions or custom require a .32 ACP, .380, 7.62x25 or a .22LR to blend in or because you are limited by ammo supply, you dance with the girl you brought.

#30 ·
For me...first choice is a 1911 (currently carrying a full size Kimber CDP). It just "feels" right, and when I bring it up, that front sight is always where it should be.

Second choice is a Sig P226 with a Veridian laser/light and matching holster. My wife loves it because she shoots the lighter kicking 9mm like a champ. For me, it has never failed to go boom. It just runs, no questions asked.

Third is a late 70's .357 Colt Python, why...because it was my grandfathers service gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.