Survivalist Forum banner

SHTF Handgun Size?

24K views 87 replies 66 participants last post by  Sourdough 
#1 ·
Hello all!

This is my first post on this forum, but I've read a lot of threads from here over the past couple of years. Anyway, I'm looking at buying my next handgun with the focus of it being my HD handgun and SHTF sidearm should that need arise. I've pretty much decided on a striker fired 9mm, as that is what I have shot a lot of, and my current gun is of that category (shield 9mm for ccw).

Anyway, my question for you all is this: What size handgun should I be looking into? Many posts and videos I have seen favor the larger guns such as the glock 17, full size m&p, and the like. I've also seen a lot of favor for the 5 inch models for the extra velocity and sight radius. How do you all feel about this idea?

I'm curious because while many seem to like the larger handguns, it seems as though the mid size models would possibly be a better option. The glock 19 and new m&p 2.0 compact seem like very viable options. Also, special operations groups such as the Rangers and the SEALs have adopted the glock 19 for their hard-use lifestyles in that profession. Given this, why do many still seem to prefer the longer-barreled options?

I am just trying to narrow my focus for my next handgun and gather as much information about it as possible. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
At the risk of re-litigating this discussion for the umpteenth time, I'll give the old answer:

Get thee to a range, tryest varied hand-cannon for thyself.

Seriously. There are so many good 9mm striker fired pistols these days, it's harder to pick a crappy one than the other way around.

Both of your points are valid. Larger pistols have some advantages, but IMHO the ability to easily conceal is a paramount advantage of pistols as a firearm.
Mid sized like the G19/M&P 2.0 and about a dozen others are a great compromise between size and conceal-ability in my, and millions of others, opinions.

BUT... you may be able to hide a G17 or full size 1911 just as well. Depends on body shape, size, how you carry, how you dress, and about a dozen other things.
This is where experience and handling come in. Esp on a budget. That $30 you spend on rentals might save you from making a $5-600 mistake.
Nothing worse than gun buyers remorse. Nothing.

Good luck, have fun, and train. You should spend more on ammo and training over the next couple years than the cost of the pistol, so think about working that into your longer term budget.

#17 ·
At the risk of re-litigating this discussion for the umpteenth time, I'll give the old answer:

Get thee to a range, tryest varied hand-cannon for thyself.

Seriously. There are so many good 9mm striker fired pistols these days, it's harder to pick a crappy one than the other way around.

Good luck, have fun, and train. You should spend more on ammo and training over the next couple years than the cost of the pistol, so think about working that into your longer term budget.
THIS is the correct answer. Nothing else needs to be said.

#3 ·
Guns with longer barrels tend to range better in handguns but there are variables

Compact guns are more for up close and personal.

You need to decide what range you'll be using the gun at and then decide what cartridge and barrel length that will deliver the power and accuracy that you want.

#22 ·
This is WRONG

Barrel Length = Velocity. The difference between a 2", 4" and 6" barrel is small when used for defense, even at impossibly long ranges.

Longer barrels do have longer site radius, which will allow most shooters to fire more accurately. The gun's accuracy is unaffected by site radius.

Smaller guns can be just as accurate as a larger gun. Again, barrel length and site radius only impact the person firing the gun, the gun doesn't care about these factors.

Smaller guns are easier to conceal and are sometimes lighter and generally harder to grip and shoot accurately, especially for new shooters.

Real Life

The majority of police shootings conform with the Rule of 3 = 3 Meters Distance (the length of a car), 3 Shots Fired, 3 Seconds Engagement Time. These are the averages, your mileage may vary.

If you are ever in a shooting and I hope you never are, this is what is most likely to happen. It also gives you a baseline to practice from.

The majority of people who are involved in shootings don't even remember using their sites. All attribute their ability to perform and prevail to their training, which kicks in automatically and saves their life. If you don't have training, you will likely hesitate at best and panic at the worst. Perhaps you will die.

Carry everyday, get training, practice and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

#4 ·
Small, medium, large sized pistols, the answer is yes!

I need an easily concealed, pocket sized pistol, chambered in a minor power cartridge. These little auto pistols and revolvers are much easier to carry.

A slightly larger, duty sized pistol chambered in major power cartridges. These pistols can be chambered in a variety of calibers, they are easier to shoot, and can be very accurate

And larger pistol or revolver, chambered in magnum power cartridges. I purchased these guns for handgun hunting, and defense against vary large and dangerous predators.

I think you should get at least two of each.

#6 ·
In a SHTF situation if you are alone faced with multiple adversaries, then try to stand and fight, you'll never live to shoot'em all. If armed with only a handgun, it's purpose is to create a window for escape, literally to shoot and scoot.

You might want to consider something which doesn't scatter brass all around, and which is powerful enough to do it with one shot, and accurate enough to reach out past 50 metres with confidence.

A .357 revolver makes sense.

#9 ·
I let the circumstances define.
I don't have a lot of hand guns, but the ones I do have are all purpose driven.

East of Telegraph and south of 8 mile (Detroit) for concealed carry is usually a Charter Arms 44 special Bulldog snubby. Anything there will be real up close and personal and nothing will ruin a ghetto rats day more than a half inch entrance wound while the rest scatter like the cockroaches they are.
Pull trigger, goes boom. Loudly. No boom, pull trigger again. Try that with your striker fired. No stovepipes, no jammed actions, no two hand slide re-rack while someone is trying to redistribute your wealth to theirs.

EDC in the car? S&W 6906 9mm and a spare mag or two of +P self defense bonded hollow points. Fits well in the console and still small enough to conceal when I get out.

Out in the woods? S&W 1006 10mm. It will stop a grizzly, it will stop anything else on 2 legs. Don't care if it is not concealed. In fact, maybe better it is not.

#10 ·
If I could only have 1 handgun it would be the G27 in my pocket.

I'd cheat and have .357 SIG barrel, 9mm barrel, and a threaded Advantage arms .22 slide.

Home defense I'd put on the G23 that lives on my belt with a High Intensity TRL-1 Whenever I go through the gate to my property, stays on my pants, and goes on the nightstand when I sleep

-a pair of G22 mags lives in my back pocket,

And when I fly I carry that and a .357 S&W bodyguard.

Making it possible for me to use :
9mm
357SIG

Not too bad for one small pistol case or guns you can conceal under a T shirt.

I keep a plate carrier and a shotgun rig by the bed, (along with a light equipped 870) and there's 2 AK's and an AR (with duplexed mags and a micro rig) on the way to the door (s)

#13 ·
Personally, I think you are thinking about it all wrong. If you are looking for a couple of years of Mad Max type living, it just isn't going to happen. Lots of people on here will disagree with me but I have about 250 years of history in this country to back my position. People who live in lawless situations demand law and order. It's no fun wondering who is going to kill you and when. You may have a semi break down in society for a couple of weeks...but rest assured, some entity is going to put the ducks back in a row in short order. You'll be screaming for it to happen right alongside your neighbors.

If you catch yourself in a SHTF situation it will probably be something really simple and unexpected like a riot in your town, or a weather event. In that case your carry gun is going to be what you use to get home. Or stand in the soup line with. I'd put way more thought into that one.

For me, that'll be a Glock 42. It's perfectly sized to carry every day. I may lean the 12 gauge in the corner beside the nightstand when I go to bed but it'll be my baby Glock when leave the house.

However, live life on your own hook.

#15 ·
2.0 compact and the glock 19 are your best bet if you are wanting to only have one pistol due to the grip length. The glock wins simply because spare parts are everywhere.

That said, I carry a 26, shoot a 17, and the 19 collects dust. Sometimes it's best to use a firearm as intended rather than expect one gun to fill multiple roles.

Sometimes a gun rises to the occasion. Such is the case with the 26. It shoots better than it should and with a grip extension feels better than a 19 to me.

#20 ·
If you can, try the pistol with some holsters. Most service-sized handguns (i.e. Glock 17 are carried in OWB or duty-styled holsters; concealment isn't much on a requirement. This is why many of the compact sized handguns are so popular as they can be concealed relatively well and still serve the "service" handgun role.

Depending your body shape, attire selection, and comfort level, going CCW will be more personal preference. When people mention "SHTF", it can go from a local, extended power outage to full-on Mad-Max scenarios. Statistics shows the former is more likely than Mad-Max. Compacts give you a full grip without sacrificing capacity but you won't be slipping it in your pocket. Honestly, if you plan to CCW, a sub-compact or compact is likely your best choice unless you need deep-concealment. I especially like those choice over a full-size service handgun if I also have a rifle nearby. Just my preference, but you really need to get hands on and see if you can try a few IWB and OWB holsters with what you typically wear.

ROCK6

#19 ·
Plenty of high quality 9mm, striker-fired handguns to choose from. As mentioned earlier, go find a range that will allow you to rent and shoot several different brands. I own several different 9mm, striker-fired handguns, Glock 17 (actually G22 with a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel), S&W SD9 VE, Shield9 and Ruger SR9c I would trust my life to any of these pistols.

My recommendation is either a Glock G19 or G17, not because they are that superior to the others, but because Glock 9mm magazines crossover to the AR9, the KelTec Sub2000 and other platforms that stretch your self defense and preps $$$. You can also purchase 33 round mags from Glock or other vendors, thus expanding your capacity.

You'll never go wrong with a Glock 9mm, even if it's not the most ergonomic pistol in your safe.

Glock Perfection = BS, Glock flexibility = best-in-class.

#21 ·
Hand Guns are the least effective firearms for self-defense. Let that sink in for a minute.

1st

If you need a CCW gun for everyday carry, be realistic and get one you will carry 100% of the time, period. Make, model and caliber will be what you can shoot well and conceal. Take a class and get instruction. Go to a range where you can rent guns and try them out. If you don't plan to carry daily, revisit this decision.

2nd

If you decide to get another gun as a range toy, hiking companion, etc. By all means get a larger gun and enjoy.

If you want to prepare for SHTF and The End-of-the-World, etc. Get a 9mm handgun, as this is the cheapest and most widely available caliber. Get a 3rd generation Glock 19 (preferred) or 17, as this is the most widely available gun in the U.S. Learn to feed and care for the gun, get some spare parts and have fun.

3rd

Pistols are Pistols and Rifles are Rifles. The most effective firearm for self-defense is a rifle. The most popular in U.S. is the AR15/M4. Colt, FN and others make solid guns, stay away from the cheap stuff. Magazines, parts, accessories and ammunition are available everywhere.

Learn to shoot. Take some classes, play the 2 gun game at a local club. Have fun. Buy a quality optic, once you have some experience.

If SHTF happens, the rifle, not the pistol, is your most important tool, period.

Have fun, "The End" may never come, but you will gain skills, experience and make new friends.

The Other Important Stuff

Also remember, you can't eat bullets, so slowly start to stockpile survival supplies. Start small, 3 days of supplies for everyone in the house; food, water, first aide, etc. Work up to a week, then 2 and then a month. Most natural disaster, that actually really do happen all the time, don't last more than a month.

Balance is Key

Keep it real. Americans have been prepping for the end, since the first Red Scare in the 1950's when the Russians developed atomic weapons. So far, we are mostly good and the world hasn't ended. Live your life, prep, have fun, go on vacations, etc. Be focused on what's important, but don't obsess.

Good Luck

#25 ·
I fall into the category that thinks of guns as tools in a toolbox. And the 2= 1 crowd.

Would all your hammer or screwdriver needs at the house be solved by a single hammer or screwdriver ? Would that 8 ounce hammer or #2 screwdriver be enough for every occasion. Nope, I would want a 4 oz, 8 oz, 1 lb, 2 lb, 5 lb and maybe a 10 lb hammer.. With a handgun, I'd want a relatively small concealed carry, probably a spare in case, and a high capacity 9 for home defense at the house. Nothing less. For defensive purposes, a 9mm S&W Shield, and a suppressor capable high capacity 9mm.. Carrying vs home defense are two different scenarios; for that I want two different capabilities...
While I like revolvers, and own some, I'd rather have magazine fed, SA semi-auto handguns with exposed hammers. (Shield is not, but I liked the Shield as is.. ). A threaded barrel is a plus.

#27 ·
Hanguns

As a newbie to firearms. This is my ideology.

Do NOT listen to those who say only X brand is worth having. In the real world there is very little to zero difference. Stay away from the $99 specials though.
Remember, when someone pulls a gun, nobody stops and asks "what brand and model are you using against me?".

I would put my ~$250 Taurus against any $500 Glock. Go for one that "feels" good/right in your hand. For a "normal" size stick with a 9mm. The ammo is cheap and readily available. Only use brass casing shells.

I did recently purchase a Ruger LCP 380 caliber, a very small gun for a backup/ankle wear.

The Taurus (1911 G2)? is often available for ~$200ish, the trigger pull is a bit long, but my normal. IMHO the bang for the buck winner. I am also theorizing, that last bullet in the magazine causes the spring compression to drastically increase. Thus, by keeping the magazines one (or two for 17 capacity) less will greatly extend their lifespan.

When I go shooting, I also practice loading the magazine and "racking" the weapons. See how well/fast I can get my weapon fireable and target acquired. Saves ammo and IMHO, much more real world then merely shooting one bullet after another at a stationary target.

#32 ·
As a newbie to firearms. This is my ideology.

Do NOT listen to those who say only X brand is worth having. In the real world there is very little to zero difference. Stay away from the $99 specials though.
Remember, when someone pulls a gun, nobody stops and asks "what brand and model are you using against me?".

I would put my ~$250 Taurus against any $500 Glock. Go for one that "feels" good/right in your hand. For a "normal" size stick with a 9mm. The ammo is cheap and readily available. Only use brass casing shells.

I did recently purchase a Ruger LCP 380 caliber, a very small gun for a backup/ankle wear.

The Taurus (1911 G2)? is often available for ~$200ish, the trigger pull is a bit long, but my normal. IMHO the bang for the buck winner. I am also theorizing, that last bullet in the magazine causes the spring compression to drastically increase. Thus, by keeping the magazines one (or two for 17 capacity) less will greatly extend their lifespan.

When I go shooting, I also practice loading the magazine and "racking" the weapons. See how well/fast I can get my weapon fireable and target acquired. Saves ammo and IMHO, much more real world then merely shooting one bullet after another at a stationary target.
Hahaha, thats funny. Is there a single LEO agency or military in the world using a Taurus? Dont get me wrong they can be ok guns if you have no money, but for every two that work right there is one that doesnt. Theyre more finicky, more ammo picky, and less durable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Most of the time when you would actually nee a pistol you're going to be in close so the diff between a 3.5 inch barrel and a 4.5 inch barrel is going to be negligible. I've shot full size down to pocket pistols and in the end it comes down to what you can get hits on target the most consistently at pistol ranges. selecting a good ammo should also be a consideration. I lean toward 147 gr hollow point in 9mm . someone said get thee to the range and test...I second that.

#31 ·
Anyway, my question for you all is this: What size handgun should I be looking into? Many posts and videos I have seen favor the larger guns such as the glock 17, full size m&p, and the like. I've also seen a lot of favor for the 5 inch models for the extra velocity and sight radius. How do you all feel about this idea?

I'm curious because while many seem to like the larger handguns, it seems as though the mid size models would possibly be a better option. The glock 19 and new m&p 2.0 compact seem like very viable options. Also, special operations groups such as the Rangers and the SEALs have adopted the glock 19 for their hard-use lifestyles in that profession. Given this, why do many still seem to prefer the longer-barreled options?

I am just trying to narrow my focus for my next handgun and gather as much information about it as possible. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
The duty size have their advantages. Like you've pointed out; sight radius and velocity. You'll also get a little extra capacity in many cases with the magazines that come with it.

If I were chosing a first, or perhaps only, i'd pick a g19 over a 17 simply because it's easier to conceal and therefore more practical for me.

I have a 23 with the conversion barrels and magazines. You use longer magazines if you really wanted to. If i decide to go smaller, a g27 or 26, i can still use the previous magazines. If i go larger, a 17 or 22, i use those magazines in the smaller handguns.

#33 ·
I actually own a shield 9mm so I'm covered in the ccw department. I bought it because while subcompact double stacks are great, and many people carry mid size guns, I felt there were times it would not work with my frame and attire. So I bought a gun small enough and comfortable enough to carry all the time.

I've become really interested in such guns as the m&p 2.0 and the cz p09. I wanted a p07 for the longest time, but again, felt it may be too big for me to carry all of the time. I also have a real itch for a 1911 in 45acp, but feel that a full size 9mm to compliment my shield is the smarter option for now.

So given that I have my ccw pistol taken care of, do you all think I should opt for a g19/p07/2.0 compact size gun, or take it to full size and look at g17/p09/2.0?

#34 ·
If your primary use of a handgun is HD, then a larger gun in warranted. If you intend to carry it alot, then something smaller might be your answer, but smaller should not mean small capacity. I personally like Glocks and find the G19 to be a good fit for most applications, however the G26 is even smaller and accepts both the G17 and G19 mags. With its normal 10 round mag, the G26 is quite concealable. I do not know if the other manufacturers have similar sizes to choose from because I don't care. Glocks have worked for me for more than 25 years.

#49 ·
I'm in the same camp as Meeteetse, it seems. I carry my Glock 26 daily, but also shoot a Glock 19 (which was my first handgun). The 26 conceals much better with my body type/frame, but my accuracy with both is essentially negligible. I can also use the 19 magazines (or larger) in my 26, which means flexibility.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.