Survivalist Forum banner

Trail cameras who makes a good one?

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Brettny 
#1 ·
I currently own an older Moultrie 5mp and one wildgame inovations 12mp. Looking for another 1 or 2. I dont mind buying used off ebay. I dont really need 1080p or anything fancy like that. Who makes a good camera?

Well i can tell you the cheap ones off amazon suck. Left one out over the summer and found the battery springs blew the back appart. The case was so weak it couldnt take the spring pressure. Lost a SD card on that camera too.

#2 ·
I'm not an expert on cameras, cause I have only owned one. In the woods, I have it set on videos, not pictures. I've used it three hunting seasons and get many beautiful game videos. Deer, coyotes, turkey, squirrels, raccoon, and other hunters. :D:
I would buy another just like it if I had excess monies. It's a Browning, Model BTC-1XR. It's one of their cheaper models.

http://btc-omrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2015-Range-Ops-Instruction-Manual.pdf

#3 ·
I'll suggest one - Primos Proof Cam 03 Gen 2. They take good pictures when placed properly, can take video, are the easiest to set up, are black flash and use a smart security system - Python cable goes across the front cover. No other locks needed. I have Bushnell and Moultrie also at various price points and prefer the Primos. Good luck!

#4 ·
I just bought a 2 pack of Moultrie A40i off Amazon for 140. So far so good. I also have a Wildgame Innovations. Marginal at best. Very slow delay so it tends to miss a lot. The Moultrie is very quick and has multiple settings for pictures. Stick with the Moultrie.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. I do have both these cameras set on video due to just that...many pictures with nothing in them. I cought more game when in video so kept them like that. I get alot of night shots around here.

Some of these will not be for game but nore of a security camera at a piece of property with no cell service.. Technology Electronic device Fictional character
Technology Electronic device Fictional character

I think that was the 5 or 6yr old Moultrie

#6 ·
I use Moultrie A5 cameras exclusively at this point and currently have 8 of them. They are dirt cheap (~$50) and have a 5MP 10sec video mode. At this point they are old tech and I will soon start upgrading. I don't need a professional quality image, just evidence that a decent buck walked by and the rough rack size.

The newer version is the M-40i and is a GREAT camera for $75.

#8 ·
I have about a dozen cameras. Moultrie, Primos, and Browning. None of my models are in production anymore. You really have to read the reviews for a given model as these change and each company makes good and bad designs. One issue I've had with Primo is that the battery channels aren't wide enough for some brands of NiMH batteries.

Buy from Cabelas, Amazon or similar where you can return if you aren't happy.

#11 ·
#13 ·
This is what I have. Extremely happy with it. So the camera and metal lockable shroud both will run you about $120 total for this pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0MR2YU/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ha! I checked out your link and laughed when I saw the product. It almost appears precisely the same as my Browning camera. The SD slot, the plug-in at the bottom, the general design, pretty much everything.

I'm starting to think that all these cameras are the same or at least made in the same factory somewhere in China. They're probably just making them with slightly different specs and smacking on a different label for each brand.

Wouldn't be surprised if they all pretty much perform the same.

#12 ·
We have had a Reconyx Hiperfire for about 16 years. It had proven to be an excellent camera. We mount it to view our outer driveway and have had pictures of deer, raccoons, possums, coyotes, bobcats, dogs, turkeys, and a friend who was hunting our land, "mooning" the camera.

We had bought another camera prior to this one, but it went through a 12 volt motorcycle battery in about 5 days. The Reconyx takes 8 AA bats and they last 6+ months. I usually re-charge the batts when I change out the SD card.

WW

Shoot straight - stay safe

#15 ·
Thanks for the great info guys.

The Moultrie i have is the A5. Takes C batterys and dont really like that...how ever it has spent more time outside than inside since i got it years ago. Its been out on checked at hunting land since sept. Im sure the batterys are long dead.

I do have a newer stealth cam that i forgot i had too.

#16 ·
Thanks for the great info guys.

The Moultrie i have is the A5. Takes C batterys and dont really like that...how ever it has spent more time outside than inside since i got it years ago. Its been out on checked at hunting land since sept. Im sure the batterys are long dead.

I do have a newer stealth cam that i forgot i had too.
I usually get 4+ months of use in the fall on 10sec video mode. Good enough for me.

#22 ·
NOT Primus. Bought one on sale last year, worked good and took great pictures for about four months and just died. I didn't even bother trying to get it warrantied.

I just now put new batteries in it and tested voltage up to the circuit board. Voltage going in but nothing happening.

#23 ·
Well after much though and back and forth I ended up buying a Spypoint link micro. I got it for $112 shipped. So far it's only been outside for less than a week, got lots of deer, hawk, fox and squirrel pics alreaty. I do like that I can change settings on the fly if it's to sensitive. Battery life is going to suck but I can rig up a external battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.