Impulse Purchase - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 2,645 Times in 780 Posts
Default Impulse Purchase

Advertise Here

I'm a Weatherby fan. I've wanted a Weatherby rifle chambered in a Weatherby round for a long time now. When my LGS put a brand new Vanguard S2 in .257 Wby Mag on clearance for 60% off I just had to grab. Problem is it doesn't really fit into my plan. I don't really need it and ammo is too expensive to stockpile if SHTF.

I've always believed every prepper needs 5 guns. A medium caliber carbine, a reliable side arm, a 12 ga, a .22, and full power scoped rifle. After that everything is just gravy. I've got more than that, with quite a bit of redundancy already.

.410/12ga
.223/5.56 (restricted - can't hunt with it - only useful if TEOTWAKI)
.22-250 (long term borrowed)
7.62x25 (restricted - but all handguns are so....)
7.62x39
7.62x54
.30-06

Where does the .257 fit in? It's good for everything from varmints to deer. The .223 & .22-250 are good for varmints and predators and the x39/x54/.30-06 can all handle deer and up. On impulse I grabbed it for a coyote gun as I don't own my own that is in a caliber legal to hunt with but I'm thinking I'd have been better off grabbing one in .223 so that it could share ammo with my AR15 and it's cheaper to stockpile.

I'm tempted to flip it for either another rifle in .223 or a better handgun. Really just have a case of buyer's remorse. I love the rifle and want it, but just don't really need it and could make better use out of something else. My alternative would be to keep it and flip the .30-06 for something even bigger. That said, I love my .30-06. It's my go to moose gun and the round itself is just so versatile and so common I don't really want to go without it.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,976 Times in 9,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belifend View Post
I'm a Weatherby fan. I've wanted a Weatherby rifle chambered in a Weatherby round for a long time now. When my LGS put a brand new Vanguard S2 in .257 Wby Mag on clearance for 60% off I just had to grab. Problem is it doesn't really fit into my plan. I don't really need it and ammo is too expensive to stockpile if SHTF.

I've always believed every prepper needs 5 guns. A medium caliber carbine, a reliable side arm, a 12 ga, a .22, and full power scoped rifle. After that everything is just gravy. I've got more than that, with quite a bit of redundancy already.

.410/12ga
.223/5.56 (restricted - can't hunt with it - only useful if TEOTWAKI)
.22-250 (long term borrowed)
7.62x25 (restricted - but all handguns are so....)
7.62x39
7.62x54
.30-06

Where does the .257 fit in? It's good for everything from varmints to deer. The .223 & .22-250 are good for varmints and predators and the x39/x54/.30-06 can all handle deer and up. On impulse I grabbed it for a coyote gun as I don't own my own that is in a caliber legal to hunt with but I'm thinking I'd have been better off grabbing one in .223 so that it could share ammo with my AR15 and it's cheaper to stockpile.

I'm tempted to flip it for either another rifle in .223 or a better handgun. Really just have a case of buyer's remorse. I love the rifle and want it, but just don't really need it and could make better use out of something else. My alternative would be to keep it and flip the .30-06 for something even bigger. That said, I love my .30-06. It's my go to moose gun and the round itself is just so versatile and so common I don't really want to go without it.

Thoughts?
You have an interesting gun collection.
I have not always wanted a Weatherby, but I understand wanting a specific gun, so I would not be in any hurry to sell kt.
If you keep the 22-250, the 257 Wby, and the 3006, you are covered nicely for hunting rifles.
I dont imagine you could get much by selling the Mosin, but it certainly has no place.
Same with the 30 cal pistol, the 410 bore, and the 223.
I would start saving gun money again and start looking for a nice semi auto in 308 win.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,873 Times in 1,290 Posts

FLIP IT for a .340Wby
Start handloading the Sierra 300gr match bullets and you can keep your enemies a LOOOONNNGGGg way away from you and make them fear the loud noise that comes after one of them explodes at 1000m or longer.

ALSO

it does need a really good brake on it to tame the whip, but once you do it is an AWESOME caliber to play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,417 Times in 7,082 Posts

Yep...flip it. 300 Weatherby or the 340 that NW GUY suggests would be good.
Id say if you reload, go 300 since you have so many 30 cal guns. But the 340 has some serious oomph.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 AM
Prepared

I have a .257 Weatherby,It was custom built with a Mauser action,It was dads deer rifle,I snuck it out once when I was around 14 think I shot 4 or 5 rounds at a 6" rock in the neighborhood of 300 yards,Dad busted me and told me he'd kick my butt if he ever caught me shooting it again,wasnt he cared if I shot any of his guns,it was the price of Ammo even way back then,I've never shot it again and probably never will,I told dad I wouldnt shoot it!! I did grab a few boxes of ammo on sale,picked up set of dies and couple boxes of bullets,I think dad would be tickled to see hes grandkids put a deer or two in the freezer with the old girl,I also know he'd be fine with me shooting it now that I'm buying the ammo,however I told him I wouldnt shoot it again hes long gone so no chance to say hey dad i bought some .257 WB ammo can I shoot your rifle..
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 41,393 Times in 9,785 Posts

Man.....there are no rules, you can have a fun gun!

Just because it doesn't fit into a preppers plan doesn't mean you can own, have fun and shoot anything you want

The 257 Roy should be awesome for long range coyote, pig, deer, antelope and aoudad. Even short to medium range elk and like some of the exotics here in Texas

My favorite is a 25-06, sometimes I wished it had just a bit more mojo like the 257 Roy

There's a 30-378 Roy on my wish list.

Why, you may ask?

Because that's what I want and because I can!

He with the most toys wins
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Pusher of brooms

It doesn't fit? So what.

Not like it eats anything, or costs anything sitting in the closet.

There's something unusual with all the doom and gloom, enjoying yourself.
It's a you that could feed and defend you if needed.
Enjoy it.