What do I put at BOL with limited storage? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 07:32 PM

Advertise Here

I love hurricane season cause I get to make my fema runs. Without fail everytime people ask me if I'm bring in generators or when more are going to come. I'd say put a decent solar charger in there. So can at least keep your phone and rechargeable batteries charged.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Prepared

Food and a way of getting water.
clothes that will be good for whatever seasons you need to deal with without electricity or fuel.

the rest is all just what you are prepping for.

I'd maybe put in a book for learnign some useful skill or skills, new language etc.. I hear chinese is hard to learn could keep you busy for however long the shtf event is.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,231 Posts

A full set of clothes for everyone in your family plus a extra undreshirt,underware, and socks as well.

Blankets for each family member?

Copies of paperwork?

Where is your family going to sleep if the house is already full? Hammocks make cheap comfortable extra beds that take up little room.

Quick cooking dry or canned food.

Maybe a small water filter.

I would avoid putting any fuel,or smelly chemicals in the barrel other than maybe cans of propane or lump chsrcoal.

Tarps or plastic sheeting comes in very handy.

Some basic hand tools and small selection of fasteners.

Rope always comes in handy.

Large heavy duty garbage bags.

Basic food prep tools.

Sn amount of cash hidden inside something inside something else in the barrel.

Hats and gloves.

Medicines you need or use. First aid kit.

Make sure the barrel was and still is food grade. Once it is empty it can be used for water storage or thousands of other uses.

Flashlight, batteries, emergency radio.

The type and amount of food would depend on what type of event and duration you have in mind. A pound and a half of dry food will take the space is 3 cups and will feed one person for a day. But takes time, fuel, ability and tools to make palitible. Canned food is ready to eat out of the can but takes up more space and weight. Noodles a a good compromise. They are quick, and easy to cook, taste amazing are filling and can be used to streach other foods.

Maybe a cheap gun and a box of shells. The gun could be stored in pieces with a crucial part(the cylinder or bolt) hidden inside something else in the barrel if you have concerns of having it there.

Make the top of the barrel the more common items and hide the more questionable or valuable items at the bottom.

You can hide a lot of stuff at the bottom of a bucket of boring wheat.

I would also want heat, fuel, electric, water and transportation but they won't fit in the barrel or u dont want them near my food stocks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,596 Posts

A Bible double-sealed in two zip locs.
Maybe a hymnal double sealed in two zip locs.

I don't think storing firearm(s)/ammo in the barrel is a good idea, for many reasons, but if you do, maybe take the firing pins out, put them in cosmoline and seal, and bury someplace on the property that you can find, but no one else knows about. And that isn't visible from the house. etc. so if you find out you can take your stuff, but are not welcome to stay, you can still get to them.

If there are untrustworthy people and/or snoopy staff, someone WILL go through your barrel while you are gone. Stuff WILL come up *missing* To avoid this, they must not know it's there, so you have to bring it in and hide it where they will not see it/find it, when no one is there. Someone is likely to say the wrong thing at the wrong time when the wrong person is around. It doesn't matter if it was simply not thinking, idle gossip, or malicious, the end result is the same... loose lips sink ships. and under bad enough conditions, otherwise trustworthy people can be more likely to do things they wouldn't otherwise do (like look in your barrel to see if any of the hurricane preps would be helpful). If the barrel (or whatever) looks bad enough, it could get thrown out since it sounds like the house/neighborhhod are upper crust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 10:21 PM
Tryin' every day

I'm very cynical and the whole story is confusing to me.
The original post said temporary but you haven't found a permanent location nor started the long set up procedure of said BOL.
in another post, you're planning on 11+ people staying there during SHTF anticipating that they will bring supplies with the homeowner having nothing but the building and waiting for FEMA deliveries.
How close by are the 6 others ( individuals? families?) ? Do they have preps or will they hopefully grab stuff as they leave their homes? Has this been seriously discussed or one of those " I'm coming to your house" situations?

How "untrustworthy" and nosey are the relatives that frequent the place.
Since you said that they would likely throw away items that do not belong to them, I would be leery of storing stuff there, especially firearms. Sounds pretty disrespectful on their part.
Also, in case of an emergency , the owner knows that you have some stuff in the basement. Will they break into your supplies before you arrive leaving you nothing?
"We didn't think that you'd make it and there were huge lines at Piggly Wiggly"

What are the plans if the owner is not home? Can you gain entry to the house?
One 55 gal drum will not hold enough to feed the amount of people that you plan on hosting.
Will the owner be OK with all those people "moving in" for the duration.
Are these 6 relatives the same 'Untrustworthy" ones you spoke of before?
How will that work? If you don't trust them now, how can you trust them when you're down to one can of beans and a moldy heel of bread?
Will they pitch in or sit around waiting for dinner to be served?

It does not sound like you plan is complete.
I'm in a similar situation. My plans need to change due to a recent medical situation. I won't even be able to load the truck with my stuff if we have to leave so my primary BOL is out.
I have a secondary BOL that I can go to but fear that the doers will be outnumbered by the dead weight. Too many invites to people that I do not know if they'll be productive.
The facility has many assets but lacks security.
The owner and his sons are "suits" and think that people will leave them alone. "We have guns"...Dude! everybody has guns.

They have solar, lakefront, gardens, fuel stored, dozers, tractors, welders etc.
If I have to, I'll go but as it is, I no longer plan on surviving too long due to my medical problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiet Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,231 Posts

I'm not sure why so many people are so down on the OP. Most of the time when SHTF it is a personal thing or a small area. Having the ability to leave their home and have a safe place to go to with limited supplies could be very handy.

Some SHTF situations where such a plan could be handy are(not all could apply to Florida): house fire/forest fire, tornado, snow storm collapsing roof, hurricane, flood, riots, civil unrest, marshal law declared,abusive spouse/family member, threat to life by local gang, area being blockaded, chemical spill, forced evacuation, power/water/gas/heat outage, kicked out of home for various reasons

Sometimes the best option is to leave. Although in my experience with tornadoes, no one is going anywhere unless they have an injury that requires transport by helicopter or there is a gas leak for at least the first night.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man View Post
I'm very cynical and the whole story is confusing to me.
The original post said temporary but you haven't found a permanent location nor started the long set up procedure of said BOL.
in another post, you're planning on 11+ people staying there during SHTF anticipating that they will bring supplies with the homeowner having nothing but the building and waiting for FEMA deliveries.
How close by are the 6 others ( individuals? families?) ? Do they have preps or will they hopefully grab stuff as they leave their homes? Has this been seriously discussed or one of those " I'm coming to your house" situations?

How "untrustworthy" and nosey are the relatives that frequent the place.
Since you said that they would likely throw away items that do not belong to them, I would be leery of storing stuff there, especially firearms. Sounds pretty disrespectful on their part.
Also, in case of an emergency , the owner knows that you have some stuff in the basement. Will they break into your supplies before you arrive leaving you nothing?
"We didn't think that you'd make it and there were huge lines at Piggly Wiggly"

What are the plans if the owner is not home? Can you gain entry to the house?
One 55 gal drum will not hold enough to feed the amount of people that you plan on hosting.
Will the owner be OK with all those people "moving in" for the duration.
Are these 6 relatives the same 'Untrustworthy" ones you spoke of before?
How will that work? If you don't trust them now, how can you trust them when you're down to one can of beans and a moldy heel of bread?
Will they pitch in or sit around waiting for dinner to be served?

It does not sound like you plan is complete.
I'm in a similar situation. My plans need to change due to a recent medical situation. I won't even be able to load the truck with my stuff if we have to leave so my primary BOL is out.
I have a secondary BOL that I can go to but fear that the doers will be outnumbered by the dead weight. Too many invites to people that I do not know if they'll be productive.
The facility has many assets but lacks security.
The owner and his sons are "suits" and think that people will leave them alone. "We have guns"...Dude! everybody has guns.

They have solar, lakefront, gardens, fuel stored, dozers, tractors, welders etc.
If I have to, I'll go but as it is, I no longer plan on surviving too long due to my medical problems.
I mean I don’t see what there isn’t to understand? Apart of being prepared is having a BOL even it’s just temporary while I find, purchase and build a permanent BOL. Some people that may be a tent in the woods, for me it’s this house. Although in event of a major hurricane the temporary BOL will be used regardless, its the minimal distance I’ll be comfortable from the Gulf in a major storm. In any SHFT situation or major hurricane I have to leave my full time home, where I live sheltering in place is just not an option, period.

I’m not purposely planning on caring for all the other relatives other than the home owner. But I know from our family’s past experiences with major hurricanes this house is where all close family members will come. It has full power generation and space for everyone. All but two of them live within walking distance of the home. I’m planning on having some extra food stocks for them but they also have a lot of there own food at their close by homes. When stretching for emergencies they all have around 2-3 months of food on hand. Frankly I can’t save the whole family and it’s not my responsibility too. My immediate family and the home owner are my concern. I have no issues turning the others away if needed, I don’t have a relationship with them and feel no differently about them vs the average Joe if it’s my immediate family’s survival against theirs. Not having a relationship with them hints to them not being trusted either. They can either contribute or move along. Hate to be so cold about it be it’s just the facts of life.

The 55gal drum is for supplies, ammo, clothes, etc. I have gotten permission to put an additional storage container of food and personal products inside with the rifles. I’m planning on having enough food for six months for my immediate family and the home owner. I’ll have some additional food for the rest of the family. The reason I’m placing a .22LR and deer rifle as well as fishing supplies at the home is the home backs up to a massive state park that’s bountiful with wild game and fish. So pretty quickly after moving to the BOL I can start harvesting game and fish as well as get my gardens established.

I’m type one insulin dependent which is an autoimmune disease that I can’t get rid of by just “dieting and jogging”, I have two years of insulin stored. Once that’s out I’m dead fast. So I appreciate your situation and recognizing the facts like I do of it. Within two years of SHTF if order isn’t reestablished we will be looking at immigrating to another country. If the whole world is in SHTF then I’ll spend the two years setting my immediate family up for long term survival after me demise.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 45,530 Times in 13,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Your BOL is in a neighborhood?

Your BOL is 4,000+ sqft?

You want all your supplies to fit into a 55 gal barrel and forget about them.

Is this correct?

WTF?!
It's all relative. I'm guessing he lives deep inside a major metro, and being in a nice neighborhood in a small down 80 miles away is sort of bugging out. I mean, it would be an improvement, probably.

Just not what I'd call a BOL.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Survivor

Basic needs of average adult for 3 months (90 days)

1. Water. Drinking water only, 23 gallons per person. That's just 1 Quart per day, the absolute minimum. If active, double that. If your stored food requires added water (rice, pasta, oatmeal) triple it. If you're active, have stored rice/pasta/oatmeal as primary food source, you could easily use 70 gallons per 3 months per person, and that is not including hygiene and sanitation. What this means is that you are going to need to have ways of procuring water and making it safe to drink. You can't fit that in a 55gal drum. Some people do the swimming pool thing, though I wouldn't build one for that purpose. You can store water in 55gal drums, or other purpose-made potable water containers. You can potentially install semi-sealed rain-catching systems that use your gutters and nice-looking barrels outside and keep the mosquitoes out. You can use this for grey-water at least, even if you're not drinking it. Keep all this in mind because if you don't have water, it doesn't matter what else you have, you're dead.

2. Storing as much "regular" food as you can in the kitchen and pantry is the first key goal of food prep. Nobody thinks you're crazy for keeping your kitchen well-stocked. A kitchen in a 4000sqft house is probably pretty nice with a lot of storage, and if it isn't, you can probably get someone to add more shelving. Canned food lasts for several years regardless of what's inside, although some things last far longer, plus most of it already has liquid in it so that alleviates your need for as much water. Most long-term storage stuff though is dry, and people do raise an eyebrow, though hopefully in FL not as much as they used to with all the hurricanes.

3. Make sure you have a good way to heat up your meals and boil your water. Propane lasts forever so long as the canisters are stored properly and checked every few years, if you have an outbuilding, store several large canisters, and have a propane stove. The relatively inexpensive coleman single-eye stoves that screw right onto the 1lb canisters works great, but there may be a better way to attach that to the 20lb bbq canisters. If used carefully and not wasted, this could provide cooking ability for about 1 month per 20lb canister (in reality, they are usually only filled to about 17lb).

4. If you have a basement and have any water issues, be careful not to store things below the water table or if your sump pump goes out (or you lose power) you're going to have a real problem.

Ok, so back to your original question.

If it has to be a 55gal drum and ignoring everything else.

- 2 fixed blade knives, from decent brands
- at least 3 reliable ways to start fires
- 2 folding saws (laplander, etc)
- several multivitamin bottles
- an AR-15 broken into 2 halves, 4 magazines, and 2x 480rd-cans
- compact propane stove (only if propane is stored somewhere on the property)
- sealed bottle of lighter fluid and lighters (wrapped in several bags to avoid leakage)
- water purification, tablets, pump filters
- variety of compact, calorie-dense foods
- dynamo/solar all-band shortwave receiver

there's a lot of very important stuff you can't fit in a barrel that size though. and some other nice-to-haves that won't fit. Like a generator and fuel storage. Aforementioned propane tanks. A lot more food. A LOT of water. If you have a family of more than 1, and with a 4000sqft house I assume this is a family of 3 or 4 or more, you are going to need a lot.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,053 Times in 1,756 Posts

Propane runs out eventually, save it for “winter heating. Rocket stoves use twigs and small branches, which are limitless resources. I would invest in water filtration devices because FL has no shortage of water, but needs cleaning. It also has no shortage of sunlight, so approach the homeowner with the idea of a small unobtrusive shed at the back of the property, to code. A solar shed. It can double as your storage shed. When you find your BOL land, it’s simple to move. My experience is starch and carbs are a good base for adding things you can grow. Or raise, like chickens. Potatoes also grow well in sand, with mixed in compost. Starch and carbs are good and store well. Your biggest challenge will be your state having crap soil, my brother in Tx does too. He backhoes long trenches a foot deep and three feet wide. He lined them with cheap plastic tarps from Harbor Freight (?) and hired some Mexican guys to fill them with rich loamy dirt. Each row is 2feet from the next one. 10 rows, 100 feet long, he started with four rows and built up. E started with a used camper trailer and expanded recently to a modular home, I believe from Clayton Homes. They call it thier vacation home, but it borders paper mill land growing pine trees, so we go pig hunting a lot when I’m in state.

Just some ideas. Hire Mexicans to do a lot of the work, they are used to crazy / lazy Anglos.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Survivor

I didn't mention using it for heat because in Florida is just don't get that cold. In the 50's, that ain't dangerous...just wear clothing.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:47 PM

I appreciate the suggestions, especially the rocket stove. Cooking sources outside of a campfire has been a concern for me, stockpiling propane is not practical at this location.

Water is zero issue, there is a sand bottom, clear water stream running through the property that originates at a spring head right oof property. I’ll of course keep purification tablets for it but atleast I know it’s not running through agricultural land before our property.

I plan on a solar shed, or storage container at my permanent BOL in the future but at this location it was pulling teeth to do what I am already. At this location I’ll be using a solar fridge to store insulin.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
I didn't mention using it for heat because in Florida is just don't get that cold. In the 50's, that ain't dangerous...just wear clothing.
Heat isn’t a concern, the coldest we may encounter is just below freezing. There is plenty of bedding and blankets in the house already to survive that.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMan View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, especially the rocket stove. Cooking sources outside of a campfire has been a concern for me, stockpiling propane is not practical at this location.

Water is zero issue, there is a sand bottom, clear water stream running through the property that originates at a spring head right oof property. Iíll of course keep purification tablets for it but atleast I know itís not running through agricultural land before our property.

I plan on a solar shed, or storage container at my permanent BOL in the future but at this location it was pulling teeth to do what I am already. At this location Iíll be using a solar fridge to store insulin.
rocket stove is a great idea, it's on my "short list" of to-do preps myself. cook hotter, use less fuel, and a stable place to put your cooking container. add in some cast iron cookware and that's hard to beat. making a rocket stove is pretty easy, look on youtube, there's no skill involved you just buy the bricks and stack em. you will have to break one brick in half, but that's it.

there are some cook-inside options as well. it may be outside the realm of what you want, but a wood stove is pretty close to ideal in winter months. alternatively, you can get a Dietz Millennium kerosene lantern with a cook-top. i am not sure you could use it to fry anything, but boiling water and heating a can of soup, those things you definitely can do. Using such a lantern that way for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours at night for light and making coffee/soup and you could make it for a whole year for only about 8 gallons of kerosene. just make sure you have a consistent way to make a flame, lighting kerosene requires a flame, not sparks.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,142 Posts

We inherited my Father in law's cabin. It is a 30' camp trailer with a snow roof and kitchen,bathroom addition. And it is in a mountain community. I would guess it is total 600 sq ft. Over the last 5 years I have stashed about a 6 month food supply, some weapons and a 1/2 cord of wood. It has community water from developed springs. the community is maybe 50-60 homes with maybe 20 occupied year round. there is fair hunting and fishing in the area. elevation is 5500' with snow in winter. In a time of chaos, it would be difficult to access. Now the roads are plowed. It is also a 3 hour drive. I stash food in 5 gallon buckets with gamma seals.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Survivor

OP, what's your realistic budget for this?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
OP, what's your realistic budget for this?

With ammo $2k for the temporary location.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:53 PM
Survivor

I think that's realistic for a setup for the basics. How many people is this supposed to be for?
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 6,025 Times in 2,680 Posts

@OP. What is your home situation right now (not your BOL)? How much yard and garage space do you have in your present domicile? What kind of car/vehicle do you drive? What general region of Florida are you in?

The answers to these questions will help my suggestions.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
@OP. What is your home situation right now (not your BOL)? How much yard and garage space do you have in your present domicile? What kind of car/vehicle do you drive? What general region of Florida are you in?

The answers to these questions will help my suggestions.
I live in a huge neighborhood in a suburb by a major military installation less then five miles from the ocean so I have no choice but to bug out. I’m between one small city and a larger city. I’m opposed to storing anything at my house because if I have to bug out on foot or on our scooters I have no ability to carry supplies outside of what fits into my large hiking packs.

For vehicles I have lifted 4x4 suv with winch and mud terrain tires. A second 4x4 suv with all terrain tires (my daily driver). Two gas 125cc scooters (it’s Florida after all). And a crossover suv that’s FWD that averages 35mpg with seven seats. My main bug out vehicles will be the 4x4 suv on all terrain tires given its 20+mpg and its newest out of my fleet.