What do I put at BOL with limited storage? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 PM

Default What do I put at BOL with limited storage?

Advertise Here

My BOL is just under 80mi from my home, outside of the main population center for my MSA in a small town of 5,200 people. My BOL is in a nicer neighborhood (all 4,000sqft and larger homes) that may be a bit of a target for looters but my experience with the area is good for how the community acts in a crisis. I was in this town during Hurricane Ivan which virtually destroyed the entire town and most of the homes there but there were no civil disturbances. The town survived several weeks without power and minimal state government support. Winters are mild, there are countless fresh water sources including a stream right on property, extremely fertile soil for gardening, green house on property, located just outside a large track of timber land for hunting and several lakes near by for fishing. The home already has cooking items, tools and all other basic items a full time home will have. This is actually a temporary BOL for us till we find land to build our permanent BOL at that will double as our weekend cabin as well closer to home.

I’m trying to decide what to store at this BOL. Besides putting a scoped Marlin Model 60 up in the house for small game hunting and an inexpensive bolt rifle for larger game hunting I need to condense all off my supplies to inside of a 55gal barrel with lid I can put in the back of the storage room out of sight-out of mind. I’m trying to decide exactly what I need in the barrel. I’m thinking basic fishing supplies with rod/reel, additional ammo for my defense weapons which will be brought in on our persons during bug out, ammo for hunting rifles, animal/deer cleaning tools w. guide book, some freeze dried food, water purification tools, assorted seeds, gun care kit, assorted vegetable seeds and clothing. What are your thoughts and inputs?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 59,544 Times in 19,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMan View Post
My BOL is just under 80mi from my home, outside of the main population center for my MSA in a small town of 5,200 people. My BOL is in a nicer neighborhood (all 4,000sqft and larger homes)

l game hunting and an inexpensive bolt rifle for larger game hunting I need to condense all off my supplies to inside of a 55gal barrel with lid I can put in the back of the storage room out of sight-out of mind. Iím

. What are your thoughts and inputs?
Your BOL is in a neighborhood?

Your BOL is 4,000+ sqft?

You want all your supplies to fit into a 55 gal barrel and forget about them.

Is this correct?

WTF?!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,023 Times in 9,800 Posts

Quote:
My BOL is just under 80mi from my home, outside of the main population center for my MSA in a small town of 5,200 people. My BOL is in a nicer neighborhood (all 4,000sqft and larger homes) that may be a bit of a target for looters but my experience with the area is good for how the community acts in a crisis. I was in this town during Hurricane Ivan which virtually destroyed the entire town and most of the homes there but there were no civil disturbances. The town survived several weeks without power and minimal state government support. Winters are mild, there are countless fresh water sources including a stream right on property, extremely fertile soil for gardening, green house on property, located just outside a large track of timber land for hunting and several lakes near by for fishing. The home already has cooking items, tools and all other basic items a full time home will have. This is actually a temporary BOL for us till we find land to build our permanent BOL at that will double as our weekend cabin as well closer to home.

I’m trying to decide what to store at this BOL. Besides putting a scoped Marlin Model 60 up in the house for small game hunting and an inexpensive bolt rifle for larger game hunting I need to condense all off my supplies to inside of a 55gal barrel with lid I can put in the back of the storage room out of sight-out of mind. I’m trying to decide exactly what I need in the barrel. I’m thinking basic fishing supplies with rod/reel, additional ammo for my defense weapons which will be brought in on our persons during bug out, ammo for hunting rifles, animal/deer cleaning tools w. guide book, some freeze dried food, water purification tools, assorted seeds, gun care kit, assorted vegetable seeds and clothing. What are your thoughts and inputs?
It might require more than one 55 gal drum. I suggest your BOL storage should include everything it will take for you and your party to survive a complete year, plus the documents and resources to rebuild your life.

This is my remote cache list,
Camping gear, 1,200 lbs LTS Food, Clothing, Boots. Coleman Cook Stove, Cooking Gear, Water filter, Canteen, multi band Radio, Weapons, Ammo, Fishing Tackle, Steel Traps, Tools, Gold/Cash, Docs (Degree, Deed, License, Titles, Insurance).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 2,873 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post

Your BOL is 4,000+ sqft?

Is this correct?

WTF?!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had those thoughts.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 05:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,775 Posts

I would also stash some cash,but not in the barrel.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Quote:
My BOL is just under 80mi from my home, outside of the main population center for my MSA in a small town of 5,200 people. My BOL is in a nicer neighborhood (all 4,000sqft and larger homes)

l game hunting and an inexpensive bolt rifle for larger game hunting I need to condense all off my supplies to inside of a 55gal barrel with lid I can put in the back of the storage room out of sight-out of mind. I’m

. What are your thoughts and inputs?

Your BOL is 4,000+ sqft?

Is this correct?

WTF?!

It’s what I have for now till I buy some remote property. Frankly it’s a lot better than staying in my suburb where I live where I’ll be alone in a several hundred house neighborhood by a major naval base just waiting to die.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,898 Times in 9,066 Posts

I would use the freeze dried food for travel, where the lighter weight and easier prep offset the high cost.

You can store rice, beans, pasta, canned food in a barrel. Also have spices and some oil.

You need water. Have ways to harvest, transport and sterilize water locally. I can still hump the 7 gallon reliance jugs but not as easy as when I was a lot younger. A solar shower can be filled with hot water from a fire. You can use it to do dishes and laundry besides keeping yourself clean. Have soap, I like Dr. Bronner's peppermint - it works for everything.

A solar panel or two with at least on deep cycle battery and charge controller will allow you to have lights at night, maybe a fan or two. Perhaps an ice maker. Get rechargeable batteries AA, AAA for flashlights and other stuff - Eneloops with the NiteCore I4 charger that has the 12 V DC optional cord is what i have. I also have the car charger for my Lenovo laptop - it's tunes and info.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,128 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Itís what I have for now till I buy some remote property. Frankly itís a lot better than staying in my suburb where I live where Iíll be alone in a several hundred house neighborhood by a major naval base just waiting to die.
Sure, but with 4,000 sq ft, a single 55gal drum just doesnít make much sense.

The neighborhood is secondary, as it depends upon how the neighborhood is already setup.

So, were it me, Iíd set down and really think on a timeline until you will buy AND have your remote location setup.

Within a year? OK, stick to the simple drum cache plan.

Beyond a year? Stock up & in full. Get your gardens prepped now etc. Enough to make said house a suburban stand alone homestead.

Akin to Jerry Youngís:

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Home.../dp/B01EPE1MDU
Old 11-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,335 Times in 625 Posts

Beef up your water reserves: consider installing a swimming pool (a good one will also increase the value of the property when you sell).

I would also consider adding medical supplies including antibiotics. They take up little room and can be lifesaving when there is no doctor. However, you need to know how to use antibiotics properly for them to do any good.

To that end, I recommend this book: Alton's Antibiotics and Infectious Disease: The Layman's Guide to Available Antibacterials in Austere Settings. Available at Amazon.com.

Study the book before you stash it. SHTF-time is a bad time to learn something this important. After you understand the material, the book can serve as a refresher and reference later.

The author, Joe Alton, MD has a website and here is an example of what you will learn in the book: https://www.doomandbloom.net/clindamycin/
Old 11-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Quote:
It’s what I have for now till I buy some remote property. Frankly it’s a lot better than staying in my suburb where I live where I’ll be alone in a several hundred house neighborhood by a major naval base just waiting to die.
Sure, but with 4,000 sq ft, a single 55gal drum just doesn’t make much sense.

The neighborhood is secondary, as it depends upon how the neighborhood is already setup.

So, were it me, I’d set down and really think on a timeline until you will buy AND have your remote location setup.

Within a year? OK, stick to the simple drum cache plan.

Beyond a year? Stock up & in full. Get your gardens prepped now etc. Enough to make said house a suburban stand alone homestead.

Akin to Jerry Young’s:

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-Home.../dp/B01EPE1MDU

Property will be acquired and BOL put together within a year so this is a temporary BOL. My permanent BOL will have a fixed, air conditioned, 40ft container on a foundation for my supplies. I will also have established gardens on the permanent BOL since gardening is my wife hobby anyway.

My permanent BOL will not be hurricane safe though, so once my permanent BOL is finished I will change my cache out to more natural disaster preparedness and less general SHTF at the temporary BOL. My permanent BOL will be close enough to my hurricane BOL I will be able to easily make resupply runs if needed.

Thank you for the guide recommendation.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,365 Times in 3,745 Posts

FloridaMan, who is living in your 4000sqft BOL when you aren't there?

Why do you consider the BOL to have only minimal storage?

At 4000sqft I would presume the house has a large garage you could use.

How big is the lot? Can you put a storage container or out building on it?
Old 11-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
FloridaMan, who is living in your 4000sqft BOL when you aren't there?

Why do you consider the BOL to have only minimal storage?

At 4000sqft I would presume the house has a large garage you could use.

How big is the lot? Can you put a storage container or out building on it?
This home is actually larger than that, the neighborhood on average is 4,000sqft and larger. All sitting on one plus acre lots with a flowing stream on property. Nowhere to place a storage container nor will my family member who owns the home (part time resident, splits time between this home and a beach home) be to keen on the idea. I was only able to gain permission to place these items there under the premise that it is “hurricane supplies”, the home owner firmly believes in the US Government and would think I’ve lost my mind if I told her it’s for a SHTF situation.

I’m limited on space because this is already an intrusion into her space. Second reason is I want everything to be semi-hidden, not standing out because the home has a full time staff and then I also have some untrusted relatives that frequent the home as well. The relatives wouldn’t know what the items are for and would simply throw them away. Lots of people coming and going at the home on a weekly basis. The barrel will blend into the storage room, I don’t want to use the storage building on property since the gardeners are in it constantly for the lawn equipment.

This location is 110% temporary til my permanent BOL is ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,365 Times in 3,745 Posts

Why not just rent a storage locker nearby then?

I would venture your (the .gov will save is) relative (and their staff) would suddenly demand you share what's in your 55gal drum in case the need arose.

Realistically a 55gal drum is just peeing in the wind.

Are you planning on showing up with a gun and running the relative and staff off or what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Why not just rent a storage locker nearby then?

I would venture your (the .gov will save is) relative (and their staff) would suddenly demand you share what's in your 55gal drum in case the need arose.

Realistically a 55gal drum is just peeing in the wind.

Are you planning on showing up with a gun and running the relative and staff off or what?

I’m open to the storage locker idea but from all my reading that’s a no-no for SHTF prep? After all this is a temporary situation so I don’t want to get too invested into this locating by running a massive stockpile, plus having the supplies on property will be very valuable during a natural disaster when the roads are impassable. A 55gal drum of supplies and maybe a big box of food in the upstairs storage is a lot better than nothing in a SHTF situation. I’m prepping this location for one year of living in a SHTF situation or 14days of natural disaster with zero outside resources.

No my planning includes providing for and protecting the home owner (my relative), my family and possibly six additional relatives that live local to the home. All of them will be bringing their own basic food supply. The staff will be turned away from the home which they are for any big event, during Hurricane Ivan which resulted in near total destruction of the town the staff all took care of themselves fine without assistance from the family so frankly I’m not that worried about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloridaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,291 Times in 19,539 Posts

.....or just get started on your real BOL.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
.....or just get started on your real BOL.
I wish it was that simple but finding ideal land is tough where I want it.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote:
This home is actually larger than that, the neighborhood on average is 4,000sqft and larger. All sitting on one plus acre lots with a flowing stream on property. Nowhere to place a storage container nor will my family member who owns the home (part time resident, splits time between this home and a beach home) be to keen on the idea. I was only able to gain permission to place these items there under the premise that it is “hurricane supplies”, the home owner firmly believes in the US Government and would think I’ve lost my mind if I told her it’s for a SHTF situation.

I’m limited on space because this is already an intrusion into her space. Second reason is I want everything to be semi-hidden, not standing out because the home has a full time staff and then I also have some untrusted relatives that frequent the home as well. The relatives wouldn’t know what the items are for and would simply throw them away. Lots of people coming and going at the home on a weekly basis. The barrel will blend into the storage room, I don’t want to use the storage building on property since the gardeners are in it constantly for the lawn equipment.

This answered a lot of questions that I had.

It makes sense that you don't want to invest a lot or use a lot of space here. I think that I would look to put some 5 gallon buckets in an outbuilding if it were me. Buckets with paint dripped all over them. If you know a painter he will have a few you can clean out.

This being short term of 1 year you say I would not worry about food grade or climate control. I would however make sure that the food stored inside is in mylar.
I would want for basic supplies 100lbs each of flour, cornmeal, rice, oatmeal, and noodles. Yes it's all carbs but you may end up storing non-climate controlled and it's cheap stuff that should only cost you a few hundred bucks for all of it. I would really want want some water too. That you may be able to store in food grade buckets, but I would want a decent filter to go with it.

If you also have a propane grill there and a couple 20 pounders you should be set for feeding several people cheaply for a short term event to. This isn't the way I would set up a true BOL, but should suffice for the short term need you are setting up.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 56,291 Times in 19,539 Posts

Quote:
I wish it was that simple but finding ideal land is tough where I want it.
There is no spare land left. They quit making it a few years ago.

Holding off to find that one special plot in places where they aren't typically available is an excuse to stall.

You need to go find where there are frequently available locations instead.

Florida has a number of remote rural locations. Holding off until you find the perfect place cheap doesn't get the job done if you are serious. Either be willing to go further or offer enough to get seller interest in the place you want it.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,025 Posts

OK. I grasp roughly what you are asking advice on.

What to put in that 55 gal. drum. What you are essentially doing is setting up a resupply cache for getting to this future BOL. So that is what you should put in it. [except obviously for the gas you probably would want too]. Food, ammo for your favorite/most used weapons with an extra weapon, change of clothes and shoes, food, some sawyers plus a gallon of water for each person you expect to be transporting, a small solar recharging thingee [for phones, radio, lights], some cash and coins. You option for whatever space might be left.

While this might be better than a storage unit -- remember, there are people living in the house and staff -- so you might have to deal with people who would want you to take them with you. If you open the drum in front of them [how could you stop them short of killing them??? I assume you'd prefer not to do that.] they will see what you are taking out and want that. Rather I'd suggest some standard military, heavy duty, well locked, footlockers. Something you can physically grab and put into whatever vehicle you have and drive off.

A footlocker would be 'normal' from someone in/was in the military. It isn't a big barrel. It actually looks normal -- or normalier. And thus easier to 'forget' it is there than that 'big barrel so and so left with hurricane supplies'. If when you put them into this storage room, you move whats there and put the footlockers on the back wall and stack 'whatever' else is there in front of them, they will be easily forgotten. Unless the storage room is full of barrels, of course.

Considering all the folks using the house, including 'untrusted' relatives I might not even put in ammo much less a weapon. And nothing 'new' but used clothing, boots, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,161 Times in 5,329 Posts

Here is what I would do instead. I would put everything in large rubber made totes. label each one, like "Books", "Business records", "Baby cloths", "Winter cloths" etc.....

Each rubber maid bin would be a complete mini survival system. Each should have a sawyer mini filter system, basic med supplies and dry storage, easy to prepare high protein foods. Include a box of stormproof matches and a few lighters. Add several 55 gallon drum liners. Throw a p-38 can opener, silcock key some cutlery and an Old Hickory butcher knife in each one. Make sure there are some stainless steel cook sets and 2 quart stainless steel bottles.

Also include a couple of military surplus wool blankets (or one civilian queen sized wool blanket) as well as a 5X7 ultralight backpacking tarp and a 10X10 hardware store tarp and an empty backpack(large enough to store essentials) stored on top of each one.

Have at least one Rubbermaid bin for every member of the family.

Then, in a second companion bin to each of the above, have one or more full of long dry storage food (beans, rice barley ground flax seed).

You will be able to store more, for the same footprint, and it looks much less suspicious. It would be seen by an outside as just old junk being stored in containers and ignored.

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post: