Holy crap i fired my handgun - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Default Holy crap i fired my handgun

Advertise Here

Well, you all shoot guns recreationally, so you are surely going to roll your eyes.

But, this weekend we shot my handgun (Glock 17) what seems like a lot. And the soreness in my hand and forearm would make you think I shot a million rounds.

But I did not.

Shooting is hard physically.
Shooting is hard mentally.
Shooting is awesome.
And Shooting is dangerous.
But shooting is awesome.

We shot at two sets of targets, at two different distances in a few (maybe two) hand/arm positions.

I am terrible at this. But, I am going to get better.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

It sure is fun and a good stress reliever.

Just practice whenever you can and youll be shooting dimes at 50yds in no time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,109 Times in 967 Posts

There are exercises that you can do to strengthen your grip and forearm to help with the fatigue and sore muscles. With that said my guess is that your muscles are so sore because you were way to tense and tried to crush the gun. I bet you were shooting low too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 03:43 PM

1. I am far too scared for this to be a stress release. Sort of like 14 year old driving dads car. I know its cool, but I also know I have no idea what I was doing.
2. My instructor has me doing lots of exersizes for everything. I was low. I was also high, and left and right. And I even hit the target a few times, at which I whoo'd like Ric Flair.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,476 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
1. I am far too scared for this to be a stress release. Sort of like 14 year old driving dads car. I know its cool, but I also know I have no idea what I was doing.
2. My instructor has me doing lots of exersizes for everything. I was low. I was also high, and left and right. And I even hit the target a few times, at which I whoo'd like Ric Flair.
lol, you are fine...just keep going out there and practicing. Repetition will help with your muscles, flinching, the loudness, and also the mental fatigue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,030 Times in 2,690 Posts

congrats!!

Every one who shoots a gun and enjoys the sport is a strike against the gun grabbers.

Keep it up. Try a few different kinds. You might find something you like better than the one you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:28 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,313 Times in 436 Posts

I remember my first IDPA. After the first match was finished they held a "second gun" match. This was the same match as before but you could use a different gun or you could use the same one again. Being my first time and having a blast I simply did what the others did so I used my G27 for that second gun match. I fired about 400+ rounds through those two pistols that day. My hand was sore for the next few days due in part to the sharp recoil of the G27.

Just keep practicing. It gets better.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,675 Times in 6,393 Posts

That’s why I start everyone off with a single action 22 and 500 rounds shoot until your tired take a break and do it again.
I’m always hovering, watching, correcting.
It’s “hard”. But it isn’t Brain surgery.
No one/ nothing down range. Keep it pointed that way. The rest is muscle memory.

Learn to have fun and derive satisfaction from doing it well
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,643 Times in 2,832 Posts

My daughters have fired my .40 Glock .22 with no problem . Even my short 12 gauge. Maybe the OP needs to work out a bit more.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:41 PM

swamppappa,

I have been shooting with a 22, and some sort of strange air rifle contraption. This is apparently about my learning body positions, and what not. I fired what feels like a copy of my handgun in an air version, just to get my fingers used to it I suppose.

I am so sstoked. I can see how doing it well can be addictive. Its funny, for all the sort of what I will call macho nonsense around guns (and some of it is rightly there, they are a very specific tool), this is really about muscle memory. Learning a skill. I mean, it is not like learning to serve in tennis, but it sort of is. Repitition brings success. Having a good teacher brings good habits.

I am stoked.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,109 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
swamppappa,

I have been shooting with a 22, and some sort of strange air rifle contraption. This is apparently about my learning body positions, and what not. I fired what feels like a copy of my handgun in an air version, just to get my fingers used to it I suppose.

I am so sstoked. I can see how doing it well can be addictive. Its funny, for all the sort of what I will call macho nonsense around guns (and some of it is rightly there, they are a very specific tool), this is really about muscle memory. Learning a skill. I mean, it is not like learning to serve in tennis, but it sort of is. Repitition brings success. Having a good teacher brings good habits.

I am stoked.
I call precision shooting (target practice) to be very similar to sports like golf, baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. It is muscle memory. People shoot how many free throws in a basketball career in practice and games? How many golf balls on the range? Shooting is for people like me that played sports their whole life and the body cant take it anymore. If you can make your body do the exact thing over and over you will be an excellent shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Psalm 37:28

Thanked 1,133 Times in 355 Posts

When I first started shooting bowling pins (kind of a knock-em-down-as-fast-as-you-can game), I was terrible. But with practice I could keep up with some of the really good shooters.

It was all about muscle memory from repetition. And recoil management as a subset of muscle memory.

You'll get there with time. Glad you're already having fun and being safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,926 Times in 7,520 Posts

Shooting is learning good habits. Then getting comfortable then getting confident. Then continuing to improve.

Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,243 Times in 5,749 Posts

When I train some one to shoot I don't start off with my ruger 44 mag. it's just wrong.
I start with basic safety first.
The next time I introduce them to a BB gun very similar in design to the one they hope to be getting. this is the gun they practice with getting down safety issues and muscle memory and good range habits, because that is where most of the shooting takes place.
As a rule, the recoil SHOULD surprise you, so practicing with an air gun is good practice. I practice with air guns regularly it is cheaper and I can do it at home about any time I please.
I do not support dry firing a fire arm, as it puts unnecessary wear on working parts. (old school) Even if you use dummy rounds, wear is still wear , no matter what excuses are made. Being a machinist I can show you where the damage, is dry firing.
I am not a sales man for air guns, I just appreciate the alternative.
Pyramid Air has a broad range of air guns and price has little to do with accuracy, but I strongly recomend reading customer reviews on relevant guns available.
I bought a cheap Crosman C11 for about $3o. and it turned out being a good accurate powerful gun for the money.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 PM

arleigh,

I am going to assume you and my instructor are on the same page.

Because he is also a friend, and has a sense of how I learn, we did a couple of weeks of taking a gun apart and sort of learning about it as a machine. I bet gunsmithing is a cool career.
The Following User Says Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 09:29 PM
-- - --

Thanked 3,284 Times in 2,261 Posts

Shooting is great fun! Those Glock triggers though - unless they improved them since I last shot a Glock - well, yuck. That said - shooting is fun no matter what's in your hand and learning to hit what you aim at is pure satisfaction and potentially a life saver. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,127 Times in 978 Posts

Shoot frequently until you “get it”.

Once you “get it”, continue to shoot regularly. Mayhaps less than you should at the beginning, yet at least enough to maintain what you’re learning.

The rare person is a natural at shooting, for the rest of us it is a perishable skill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:06 PM

webfarmer....it is the only gun I have ever shot, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe as I get more experience I will figure that part out.
The Following User Says Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,565 Times in 7,121 Posts

Shooting isnt dangerous unless you are doing things really wrong. Being sloppy or stupid while shooting....that may be dangerous.

And maybe its me, but I see nothing macho about it.

That said, you keep working at it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Crazy

Thanked 10,313 Times in 3,360 Posts

My six year old started with 22lr. He just turned 8 and can handle up to 45acp with no problem. Point of the story as you develop technique strength will play less of a role.