Iron sight suggestions Winchester 94AE - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,130 Posts
Default Iron sight suggestions Winchester 94AE

Advertise Here

Due to a couple new hunters this year and a house fire that burned up any backup hunting rifles we had last year our hunting group is short on decent guns for this years deer hunt.

Because of that I am going to be using a Winchester 94AE Carbine. It is top ejecting and as far as I can tell isn't drilled for any type of side mount sights or scope. It has the factory sights on it, which as far as I am concerned leaves a lot of room for error. With them I struggle to keep my shots in a 4 inch circle at 50 yards.

I would like to upgrade the sights to some type of peep sight or just regular open sights that aren't so sloppy. The problem is I have no idea what is available and could use some suggestions from anyone here who has experience with them.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,013 Times in 4,466 Posts

I havent used these, but it looks like a decent setup. I used a Skinner rear on my Marlin 95, and they were OK, just not what I was looking for.

http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

I have used one of the XS ghost ring rear sights with the factory fronts sights on a couple of my pistol caliber Winchester 94 Trappers, and they do work well.

They are more of a fast shooting, closer range sight though. The aperture is fairly large and doesn't offer the precision you would want at longer ranges.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8508
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Gatorbait

Have you tried the iron sights? They are supposed to work well on that model. All of my lever actions are very accurate with irons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Hunter

Yes. I have used the iron sights for years with that gun. I haveyou never been happy with them. The sight picture on them allows a lot of room for error and the front sight is huge and covers so much of the target I have to aim below it to see the target.

At 50 yards I struggle to get a 3 inch group off a rest and I assume I and the gun are capable of better than that.

I have a. 22 with very fine sights that will make groups that are nearly touching at the same distance. I would like this gun to be able to do the same.

Whatever I go with for sights I want them to be able to take some abuse without worrying they get moved.

Where I am hunting this year 50 yards is a long shot so what I have now will work but I am not happy with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,975 Times in 9,788 Posts

Your thread title is Winchester 94AE, with the AE indicating a more modern Angle Eject reciever.
You can easily identify the more modern design because it uses a coil hammer spring, a rebounding hammer/trigger, and the top rails of the reciever were drilled (2 holes) for a scope or peep/reciever mount. I own a late 1980s Win 94AE big bore and it works great with either a peep sight or a scope.

Just in case your Winchester is actually the older Win 94 top eject, I would replace the open sight with either a peep sight mounted to the left side of the reciever, or a tang mounted peep sight. I have used both of these and they are far easier for my aging eyes than the original open sights.

Winchester built a lot of 94 models are perhaps some of them do not already have a tapped hole on the left side of the reciever. If thats what your gun is like, you will need a drill and tap for the correct screw size. Most peep sights use a #6 48 pitch screw. You might consider the option of adding a tang sight. Tang sights are mounted using the threaded extra plugged threaded hole in the tang right next to the reciever marking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Your thread title is Winchester 94AE, with the AE indicating a more modern Angle Eject reciever.
You can easily identify the more modern design because it uses a coil hammer spring, a rebounding hammer/trigger, and the top rails of the reciever were drilled (2 holes) for a scope or peep/reciever mount. I own a late 1980s Win 94AE big bore and it works great with either a peep sight or a scope.

Just in case your Winchester is actually the older Win 94 top eject, I would replace the open sight with either a peep sight mounted to the left side of the reciever, or a tang mounted peep sight. I have used both of these and they are far easier for my aging eyes than the original open sights.

Winchester built a lot of 94 models are perhaps some of them do not already have a tapped hole on the left side of the reciever. If thats what your gun is like, you will need a drill and tap for the correct screw size. Most peep sights use a #6 48 pitch screw. You might consider the option of adding a tang sight. Tang sights are mounted using the threaded extra plugged threaded hole in the tang right next to the reciever marking.

You are correct, it is angle eject. I assume they were either side eject or top eject, I didn't realize angle and top were different.

I don't have the gun in front of me at the moment, so I am not sure if it has holes for a scope mount, I'll have to take a look the next time I have it.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,975 Times in 9,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
You are correct, it is angle eject. I assume they were either side eject or top eject, I didn't realize angle and top were different.

I don't have the gun in front of me at the moment, so I am not sure if it has holes for a scope mount, I'll have to take a look the next time I have it.
If your 94AE reciever has two tapped holes on the side rails, here is your sight.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005985384/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
If your 94AE reciever has two tapped holes on the side rails, here is your sight.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005985384/
Will that work with the safety button on the side of the gun? I see it hangs down on the left side which is where the safety button pops out when it is on fire.

I see there are a bunch of different hole sizes for that sight, any recommendations there?

I assume that replaces the rear sight and works with the front one? If so any suggestions on a finer front sight to go with the one you suggested?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Just One More Gun

I would suggest a Lyman Tang sight. It just screws in, and replaces the factory Tang screws. It also increases the sight radius by about 9 inches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobcat In The Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat In The Woods View Post
I would suggest a Lyman Tang sight. It just screws in, and replaces the factory Tang screws. It also increases the sight radius by about 9 inches.
Increasing the sight length would probably be helpful? How sturdy is that sight though? It looks like a little bit of force at the top would have a lot of leverage to bump it out of alignment. Also how much does it get in the way of the hammer?
Old 11-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,417 Times in 7,082 Posts

Quote:
Increasing the sight length would probably be helpful? How sturdy is that sight though? It looks like a little bit of force at the top would have a lot of leverage to bump it out of alignment. Also how much does it get in the way of the hammer?
You DO realize that these sights the guys are linking were designed to work with your gun? And ANY sight will be messed up with some leverage applied.

They've been using these sights for decades. They are fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Survivor

I think of the three types, the tang is the more fragile, and the XS/Skinner type the most robust. The Lyman/Willams type are in the middle.

Im not a fan of the tang type, but thats just me, and the fragile aspect of things is the main reason.

Ive had the Lyman type (the older, all steel versions) on a number of rifles, and they worked well. I still kind of felt they were a bit fragile, but it never seemed to be the case. They can be a bit "snaggy" at times though.

I normally took the screw in aperture out, so it was more of a ghost ring. For more reactive shooting, and use in lower light, it works better than the smaller, target aperture.

Once zeroed, I never touched them again, so unless thats something you intend to do, its really not a big deal having a more "fixed" sight.

The XS ghost ring is pretty much bomb proof. You get it zeroed and its done. Its small and unobtrusive, and not subject to getting banged arond or hang up on things as much. While it is larger aperture, I wouldnt have a problem using it out to 100 yards or so.

The Winchesters I had them on, were early AE's and the front sights were silver soldered on. There was no dovetail. With the pistol calibers, the XS rear worked fine, and I didnt have any troubles zeroing or shooting with it.

I also used one on my Ruger #3, but I also replaced the front sight with the one that came with it. It was larger than what it replaced, had nice, sharp "square" post with a white stripe on it, and worked very well.

No matter which one you go with, if you dont like the original rear sight out there on the barrel, you can get a barrel blank from Brownells that will tap into the dovetail after yuo remove the old rear.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,051 Posts

My 94 AE was drilled and tapped by the factory. I mounted a williams side mount peep on it and changed the ring to a twilight ring and changed the front sight to a fire sight. I sighted it in but rarely shoot it as I prefer bolt and I bought a Ruger bolt in 357. I remember getting easy 2" groups at 50 yards standing. I never benched it.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Just One More Gun

Quote:
No infringement of the hammer. It is a little fragile, just because of leverage, but itís been around for over 100 years for a reason. A good friend of mine had on on his old Savage 99 in 300 Savage, and he took that old rifle through a lot of places that a lot of folks today wouldnít take a rifle. He just kept it folded down while traveling. If a close shot popped up, he would use the buckhorn sight on the receiver, but most of the time he just took the time to fold up the Lyman and use that. He never really had to rezero either, except when changing the load he was using.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,201 Times in 2,408 Posts

I have this on my top ejecting 94. It reduced my group size significantly over the original factory sights. Mounts on the left side in the screw hole just forward the hammer.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod106003.aspx
Old 11-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Survivor

I donít understand what some of you do to guns, that you are afraid of breaking things.

This one has Marbles that is over 70 years old, on a gun that is over 100 years old. My dad hunted the redwoods with this thing as a young man, then the lodge pole forests of Oregon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Survivor

You use things, **** happens.

Ive had to replace the rear sight on my one Mossberg shotgun twice over the years. It used to ride/bounce around in my work trucks and it wasnt babied.

Had the front sight on a Winchester Trapper break off after I leaned it up against the coffee table after cleaning it and it slid off and fell against the floor. Snapped off clean about halfway down. Bad piece of metal with an imperfection in it.

Im always leary of things that arent fairly substantial, that stick up, hang off, or can catch, etc.

**** happens. Not much you can do about it.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
You use things, **** happens.

Ive had to replace the rear sight on my one Mossberg shotgun twice over the years. It used to ride/bounce around in my work trucks and it wasnt babied.

Had the front sight on a Winchester Trapper break off after I leaned it up against the coffee table after cleaning it and it slid off and fell against the floor. Snapped off clean about halfway down. Bad piece of metal with an imperfection in it.

Im always leary of things that arent fairly substantial, that stick up, hang off, or can catch, etc.

**** happens. Not much you can do about it.
Other than NOT lean guns on things so they fall, and maybe using a scabbard for that shotgun?
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,087 Times in 534 Posts

Some body makes a scope mount that uses the holes on the side of the receiver My 94 Trapper had one on it when I bought it used. It was kind of goudy looking but worked. I also had the same problem with a fat front sight and ground it down to make it thinner then re blued it. Hardly noticeable now. And the groups tightened up