First Rifle? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,772 Times in 5,522 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
A single shot bolt action slows the young shooter down so he can focus. By shortening the target range you can promote confidence. Gradually increasing the range makes the young shooter focus in continous improvement without frustration. The price of gus and ammo is cheap enough the young shooter can be given a good gun and plenty of ammo to shoot with. Do not even get a scope until the young shooter has mastered targets at 50 yards.
X2

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
In the interest of moving to a box mag fed center fire gun in the future, I'd suggest a box mag fed semi auto .22 rifle.

The Ruger 10/22 is overpriced for what you get, the Marlin Model 60 is a FAR better deal...but isn't mag fed.

The Marlin 795 is though.

As is the Rossi RS22, which is only about $100 new, but shoots as well as most of my stock Rugers. The Mossberg 702 Plinkster is about the same.

I'd say spend $100 on the Rossi, learn to shoot, then spend the $150-$200 you saved by NOT buying a Ruger, as part of the payoff on a real rifle.

Some points. Semi auto does NOT teach you to spray and pray, unless you want it to. If you NEED a single shot to learn to control yourself...you aren't controlling yourself.

All that extra crap that can be put on a Ruger is just extra crap. The ONLY 10/22 worth buying, IMHO, is the take down w/threaded barrel, at about $300. I guess if you are into competition, there are some high end versions by other folks that would make sense. But not in this case.
Obviously you have never been a 10 year old boy with a semi auto 22 shooting art ground sequels out in the hay fields... And wondering why bricks of 500 don't last

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtater View Post
Obviously you have never been a 10 year old boy with a semi auto 22 shooting art ground sequels out in the hay fields... And wondering why bricks of 500 don't last

Supposed to be ground squirrels .. Stupid auto correct

The Following User Says Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,407 Times in 7,080 Posts

Quote:
Obviously you know nothing about me....nor my children, my nieces and nephews, or my grand children, all of whom were given a .22 by me; nor the many Boy Scouts I have taught to shoot, or to shoot better.

Can't act right? You don't get to shoot. They learn to act right pretty quickly. It's AMAZING what a kid can learn if you insist he learn it before he gets the reward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,637 Times in 6,381 Posts

“that scary sniper thing”
What makes an M82 scarier than your sidearm?

Unfortunately, today Part of owning /using a firearm is being aware of how your presentation of yourself and your words will be spun/twisted to the detriment of all gun owners.

If an owner shooter says/writes about a gun being “scary “ it will be used to advance an antis’ agenda

I.e. “ see! even the guy with the gun believes the gun that looks like that is scary and dangerous “
Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Obviously you know nothing about me....nor my children, my nieces and nephews, or my grand children, all of whom were given a .22 by me; nor the many Boy Scouts I have taught to shoot, or to shoot better.

Can't act right? You don't get to shoot. They learn to act right pretty quickly. It's AMAZING what a kid can learn if you insist he learn it before he gets the reward.
I understand what your saying. But you missed what I was saying completely.
We had 22 rifles for baby setters, no adult supervision. Boy Scouts were a city kid thing. I knew no one who was a boy scout. All we had was 100's of acres of hay ground. With few rules. Don't shoot towards houses. Don't shoot the sprinkler pipe. Don't shoot livestock. Kids will shoot a lot more and miss a lot more then older more experienced shooters will. It's just the nature of the beast. When I was young I hated anything that wasn't an auto or pump.. Not so now. I've learned it's better to not having that fast follow up shot makes a person a better shot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Ajole,

Yeah, I am not that young. But I am too afraid to be insubordinate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,180 Posts

If kid is spraying while hunting that is just wrong. I've shot lots of picket gophers and learned you need to head shoot to kill humanely. Body shots blow out their guts but they still can stand and try to hold them in. To me a picket gopher is like a prairie dog but only about 6" tall.
A .22 is very hard to wear out so i would look for a used one.
In Washington state any semi auto rifle is now an assault weapon. So new rules have to be met, like paying a $25 fee, taking a class, registry and annual check. This includes .22 tube feed semi autos.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 06:22 PM

swamppapa...

To say there is not a visual and striking difference between that gun in the accountant, and something I can put in my front pocket is deceptive. Seriously, that gun can shoot accurately FOR EVER from what I have read. From what I know, there is a hard limit of accuracy and power of a Glock handgun.

I also want to be TOTALLY CLEAR about this...I think Guns are scary. I think Guns are very scary. I think I have been totally up front about this.

This is why I am studying this like people study dance, or martial arts, or mathematics. This stuff is a skill set I have NO CONNECTION TO. I do not hunt, sport shoot, or anything else with firearms.

In regards to the other stuff, yeah my instructor is going to have a primary input with the rifle thing. He will have seen every active shot I have ever taken in my life by the time it is time, and I do in fact trust him.

I am thinking about this like a starter motorcycle. Like learning on a 250 before buying a 750.
The Following User Says Thank You to citizendino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,897 Times in 7,500 Posts

Quote:
He's not that young.

The young shooter is too dumb or too insubordinate to only shoot one round? Load one in the mag. Better yet...tell him he doesn't get to shoot until he can control himself.

I TOTALLY agree on using short ranges and irons at first.
I guess because I will be faced shortly with teaching 3 or 4 at the same time I am worried about staying as controlled over the situation as I was one on one with my oldest grandson or my son. Plus my first gun was a single shot, no mag, .22 that shot shorts, long and long rifle ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,690 Times in 553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizendino View Post
Magnum,
The 14 year old bit was about me not knowing what I am doing. Being a newbie to this end of the pool so to speak. Sorry, if that was not clear.

Everyone...I might not have explained that very well. Sorry. I had my niece all weekend, so I am wiped.

Ah! Haha, it's all good!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,812 Posts

Quote:
swamppapa...

To say there is not a visual and striking difference between that gun in the accountant, and something I can put in my front pocket is deceptive. Seriously, that gun can shoot accurately FOR EVER from what I have read. From what I know, there is a hard limit of accuracy and power of a Glock handgun.

I also want to be TOTALLY CLEAR about this...I think Guns are scary. I think Guns are very scary. I think I have been totally up front about this.

This is why I am studying this like people study dance, or martial arts, or mathematics. This stuff is a skill set I have NO CONNECTION TO. I do not hunt, sport shoot, or anything else with firearms.

In regards to the other stuff, yeah my instructor is going to have a primary input with the rifle thing. He will have seen every active shot I have ever taken in my life by the time it is time, and I do in fact trust him.

I am thinking about this like a starter motorcycle. Like learning on a 250 before buying a 750.

I don't think guns are scary any more so than a screwdriver or a hammer. They are a tool, nothing more. I do understand a novices trepidation when they realize, they are responsible for the safe handling, shooting and storage of a firearm. It demands ones full attention and respect. For the uninitiated the amount of responsibility they are undertaking in owning a firearm can be a bit overwhelming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I understand what your saying. But you missed what I was saying completely.
We had 22 rifles for baby setters, no adult supervision. Boy Scouts were a city kid thing. I knew no one who was a boy scout. All we had was 100's of acres of hay ground. With few rules. Don't shoot towards houses. Don't shoot the sprinkler pipe. Don't shoot livestock. Kids will shoot a lot more and miss a lot more then older more experienced shooters will. It's just the nature of the beast. When I was young I hated anything that wasn't an auto or pump.. Not so now. I've learned it's better to not having that fast follow up shot makes a person a better shot.
And again....rural here, too. McDonalds is over 30 miles, Walmart is 60. Still got Boy Scouts, despite the hay fields and sprinkler pipes...and oil rigs, oil tanks, NG lines, and sagebrush.

I still say if a kid learns right, once you turn him loose, the semi gun (or lever gun or pump gun) isn't an issue.

Out my front door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
I guess because I will be faced shortly with teaching 3 or 4 at the same time I am worried about staying as controlled over the situation as I was one on one with my oldest grandson or my son. Plus my first gun was a single shot, no mag, .22 that shot shorts, long and long rifle ammo.
I get that, especially with younger kids. When I have that, I will put only 1 or 2 rounds in a mag. But at some point, they need to understand that when we say to shoot ONE round, put the gun on safe, and then wait...they can do that.

I emphasize bullseyes, or groups, at least. We shoot slowly, we check targets after every shot in the first little while, until they can hit something they are aiming at, and accuracy matters. After they can hit a bull, or near it, then we let them shoot groups and check after 3, or 5 shots. But we NEVER just blast away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:42 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I also want to be TOTALLY CLEAR about this...I think Guns are scary. I think Guns are very scary.
I don't think they are scary...but I have a very healthy respect for the business end.

I actually get a little bad feeling when I have to squeeze a trigger for dry fire to clean or whatever. Which leads me to act like an OCD sufferer, and check and re-check that the weapon is clear. Not a bad thing, IMHO.

Hopefully with your training, you will get past that scary thing, and get to some more constructive feelings about them.

Regardless, you are working on it, so kudos!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I don't think they are scary...but I have a very healthy respect for the business end.

I actually get a little bad feeling when I have to squeeze a trigger for dry fire to clean or whatever. Which leads me to act like an OCD sufferer, and check and re-check that the weapon is clear. Not a bad thing, IMHO.

Hopefully with your training, you will get past that scary thing, and get to some more constructive feelings about them.

Regardless, you are working on it, so kudos!
Dry firing scares me too. I hate it . won't do it unless I have to. And if nothing else I halfway expect the firing pin to go kersnap... Happened twice to me

Old 11-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Dry firing scares me too. I hate it . won't do it unless I have to. And if nothing else I halfway expect the firing pin to go kersnap... Happened twice to me
I was at a pawn shop, and KNOWING the .22 gun I had in my hands, I asked the guy in charge if I could dry fire it...after I had checked the chamber about 4 times.

As I said, I KNEW this modern gun wasn't going to be driving the firing pin into the edge of the chamber, it was OK to dry fire. But some guy behind me almost went ballistic about how his grandpa would have tanned my hide if he'd have been there.

I told him his grandpa could have tried, but he had never seen a gun like this one, and he should know what he was talking about before he acted the fool. The store owner laughed and explained to him about how they aren't all built like it's 1926.

But I collect .22's...I REALLY hate searching for old leftover parts for guns made in 1943, so I am SERIOUS about preserving those firing pins.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,399 Posts

Quote:

Sounds like my son when his grandpa took him an his first rabbit hunt. The first shot was close but he kept chasing the rabbit with about five more. It was his first try for a moving target. His grandpa was about to cut his shirttail off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,772 Times in 725 Posts

Get yourself an AR-15 in 5.56 and a second upper in .22LR.

Alternatively, not knowing what handgun you bought, what caliber, model and make, you could get a 9mm PCC that shares the same magazines if you have a double stack Glock in 9mm.

The advice on single shot .22s is great if you're teaching young kids to shoot but I am assuming that you're asking this question because you want a rifle as a home defense tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I was at a pawn shop, and KNOWING the .22 gun I had in my hands, I asked the guy in charge if I could dry fire it...after I had checked the chamber about 4 times.

As I said, I KNEW this modern gun wasn't going to be driving the firing pin into the edge of the chamber, it was OK to dry fire. But some guy behind me almost went ballistic about how his grandpa would have tanned my hide if he'd have been there.

I told him his grandpa could have tried, but he had never seen a gun like this one, and he should know what he was talking about before he acted the fool. The store owner laughed and explained to him about how they aren't all built like it's 1926.

But I collect .22's...I REALLY hate searching for old leftover parts for guns made in 1943, so I am SERIOUS about preserving those firing pins.
I have a Stephens single shot that was my dad's I used to dry fire it. The second time I had to buy a pin for it I decided that was double stupid..

Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Survivor

Speaking of all this single shot stuff...I have a Savage Rascal, that thing is a GREAT starter gun, small enough for a small kid, light enough that they can hold it up, decent irons, and can be scoped for more use later. Has the accu-trigger even.

Another great rifle is the CZ Scout. Has a single shot adapter, but can handle the CZ mags like it's full size siblings. Accurate, steel and wood, great trigger.

I have an old Ithaca lever action falling block and a modern Stevens Favorite as well.

I don't hate single shot guns.