Looking for a Savage 24 in 30/30, 20 ga or Similar - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,008 Times in 9,798 Posts
Default Looking for a Savage 24 in 30/30, 20 ga or Similar

Advertise Here

About the only weapon left on my shopping list is a good combo gun. The Savage 24V is the most common example, but since most of these have been discontinued, I will be haunting gun shows. No way to predict what chambering I will find.

Anyone have experience with these?
What chamberings work well for small game, birds, white tail?
How often do folks find these, and how much?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,651 Times in 6,386 Posts

There are 3 currently in the LGS here 22/410, 22mag/20 (it’s a basket case needs a sear and a stock bolt ) and a 223/12.

Grew up with one in 222/20 many a critter fell to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,804 Times in 9,045 Posts

https://www.gunbroker.com/Other-Rifl...13&PageSize=24

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...ds=baikal%2094

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...s=valmet%20412
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 08:44 PM
old gunsel

At the local Cabela’s, the Savage 24’s show up and are gone before the next weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uteguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 44,789 Times in 5,524 Posts

I have the 30-30. Over 20 gauge. I love it. It is very very accurate and very fun and handy gun to have with you

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,311 Times in 3,272 Posts

Small game in a 24?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/837571520

Below = the latest and greatest .........

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/181144/22435/savage-model-42-takedown-22wmr410-gauge-combination-gun

Butt ugly but serves a purpose and is a takedown.

Shop around and you might find a 24 a bit cheaper. Might see you at Tulsa in the spring.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Survivor

Found mine on gun broker for under 400

Old 11-02-2019, 10:03 PM

I have one and I love it! It was my first gun, given to me on my 7th birthday by my Daddy in 1964. Yeah, I still have it. This one has some history. My Daddy died in 1967 but I continued to hunt with it. Then it started malfunctioning in about 1968. It would select it's own barrel with no input from me. It didn't matter what barrel I had the side button selector set for. My Mom took me to the gun shop so I could get it fixed. No problem says the gun shop gunsmith.

After a couple of weeks, I started calling the gun shop about every other day asking about my gun. I kept getting told that "Savage Arms is giving me all kinds of crap about this gun. They're telling me it doesn't exist". After several months, I got a letter addressed to me from Savage Arms Company. They said they had gotten my name and address from the gunsmith.

The letter explained why it took so long for the gunsmith to get the parts. Way back then, Savage Arms would design a new firearm and then their master gunsmith would build the first ten of them by himself. Those ten "proto-models" would then be loaned out to local politicians, local businessmen, friends, etc. etc. for field testing. If they developed a problem, they would be repaired and placed in the Savage Arms museum. The models would be updated to correct the problem and put into production.

They only built seven of this particular over/under model before they discovered a problem. Yup! The barrel selector was faulty. They manufactured seven replacement mechanisms but only found six of the guns. One was missing. The letter explained that it was against the rules for any of the "proto-models" to be sold because most of them had some kind of defect. That's why it was done that way: To discover problems and fix them before it went into production.

They said that when the gunsmith contacted them about parts for it, they had no idea what he was talking about since nothing like that had ever been sold. It took them a while to realize that this was the missing Number Seven. They had a pretty good idea who stole it from them. A guy who worked there quit and joined the Army. Then he got shipped to Germany. My Daddy was a Master Sergeant there. The soldier had a bad smoking habit and was between paydays. He traded my Daddy that Savage and a S&W Top Break .38 for a carton of smokes! (My brother has the S&W)

Savage Arms paid for the repairs on my over/under and offered to buy it from me but I never sold it. Mine is a 20 gauge under a .22 Long Rifle. It's still in beautiful condition. It has some very nice engraving on the sides of the receiver, bird hunting on one side and coyote hunting on the other side. No, I'm not selling it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wulfthang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,067 Times in 1,755 Posts

I have a .22 LR over 3-inch Magnum 20-ga. and love it. It is a late model with the barrel selector ON THE HAMMER, which is what you want, NOT the sliding button selector on the right side of the receiver, single-point of failure!

In the past had an older .22 LR over .410, but I don't consider the .410 a serious hunting gun and its ammo is more expensive. The 3-inch Magnum 20-ga. and .22 LR or .22 WMR combo is a stone killer for small game and varmints around the farm. The 3-inch 20-ga. is about as effective as a 12-ga. My full choke barrel patterned much more tightly than I liked so I honed the full choke to open it in stages, shooting lots of patterns until it approximated a tight improved cylinder or loose modified which patterned well with 1 oz. No.6s in 2-3/4" shells or 1-1/4 oz of 4s or 5s in the 3" magnums. I find that more useful for woods hunting here in West Virginia.

The .22 LR over 20-inch, 20-ga. 2-3/4" chamber with cylinder bore Camper Special is useless because it is essentially a heavy, break-open, singleshot .22. The .22 barrel is accurate enough but 20-ga. slugs shoot 1 foot low to the sights and both birdshot and buckshot patterns are too thin from the cylinder bore to be useful beyond 25 yards. I tried to have the 20-ga. barrel tubed and was told its walls were too thin to do so.

A full choke .410 original model 24 is more effective than the 20-ga. cylinder bore if you are a good shot and stick to 3-inch shells with shot no larger than No.6s.

Several fellows at our hunting camp have the .30-30 over 20-ga. and hunt deer with them. They are accurate, but need better sights. Best set-up I've seen was to machine the bottom of an XS ghost ring peep to mount low on the monoblock to use the factory front sight. Works great for either rifle or shotgun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfthang View Post
I have one and I love it! It was my first gun, given to me on my 7th birthday by my Daddy in 1964. Yeah, I still have it. This one has some history. My Daddy died in 1967 but I continued to hunt with it. Then it started malfunctioning in about 1968. It would select it's own barrel with no input from me. It didn't matter what barrel I had the side button selector set for. My Mom took me to the gun shop so I could get it fixed. No problem says the gun shop gunsmith.

After a couple of weeks, I started calling the gun shop about every other day asking about my gun. I kept getting told that "Savage Arms is giving me all kinds of crap about this gun. They're telling me it doesn't exist". After several months, I got a letter addressed to me from Savage Arms Company. They said they had gotten my name and address from the gunsmith.

The letter explained why it took so long for the gunsmith to get the parts. Way back then, Savage Arms would design a new firearm and then their master gunsmith would build the first ten of them by himself. Those ten "proto-models" would then be loaned out to local politicians, local businessmen, friends, etc. etc. for field testing. If they developed a problem, they would be repaired and placed in the Savage Arms museum. The models would be updated to correct the problem and put into production.

They only built seven of this particular over/under model before they discovered a problem. Yup! The barrel selector was faulty. They manufactured seven replacement mechanisms but only found six of the guns. One was missing. The letter explained that it was against the rules for any of the "proto-models" to be sold because most of them had some kind of defect. That's why it was done that way: To discover problems and fix them before it went into production.

They said that when the gunsmith contacted them about parts for it, they had no idea what he was talking about since nothing like that had ever been sold. It took them a while to realize that this was the missing Number Seven. They had a pretty good idea who stole it from them. A guy who worked there quit and joined the Army. Then he got shipped to Germany. My Daddy was a Master Sergeant there. The soldier had a bad smoking habit and was between paydays. He traded my Daddy that Savage and a S&W Top Break .38 for a carton of smokes! (My brother has the S&W)

Savage Arms paid for the repairs on my over/under and offered to buy it from me but I never sold it. Mine is a 20 gauge under a .22 Long Rifle. It's still in beautiful condition. It has some very nice engraving on the sides of the receiver, bird hunting on one side and coyote hunting on the other side. No, I'm not selling it!
Now that's the kind of stories I like to read

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
I have a .22 LR over 3-inch Magnum 20-ga. and love it. It is a late model with the barrel selector ON THE HAMMER, which is what you want, NOT the sliding button selector on the right side of the receiver, single-point of failure!

In the past had an older .22 LR over .410, but I don't consider the .410 a serious hunting gun and its ammo is more expensive. The 3-inch Magnum 20-ga. and .22 LR or .22 WMR combo is a stone killer for small game and varmints around the farm. The 3-inch 20-ga. is about as effective as a 12-ga. My full choke barrel patterned much more tightly than I liked so I honed the full choke to open it in stages, shooting lots of patterns until it approximated a tight improved cylinder or loose modified which patterned well with 1 oz. No.6s in 2-3/4" shells or 1-1/4 oz of 4s or 5s in the 3" magnums. I find that more useful for woods hunting here in West Virginia.

The .22 LR over 20-inch, 20-ga. 2-3/4" chamber with cylinder bore Camper Special is useless because it is essentially a heavy, break-open, singleshot .22. The .22 barrel is accurate enough but 20-ga. slugs shoot 1 foot low to the sights and both birdshot and buckshot patterns are too thin from the cylinder bore to be useful beyond 25 yards. I tried to have the 20-ga. barrel tubed and was told its walls were too thin to do so.

A full choke .410 original model 24 is more effective than the 20-ga. cylinder bore if you are a good shot and stick to 3-inch shells with shot no larger than No.6s.

Several fellows at our hunting camp have the .30-30 over 20-ga. and hunt deer with them. They are accurate, but need better sights. Best set-up I've seen was to machine the bottom of an XS ghost ring peep to mount low on the monoblock to use the factory front sight. Works great for either rifle or shotgun.
Mine has rather large but very visible open sights. Accurate enough to ring a gong at 250 yards, or head shoot a grouse

The Following User Says Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,911 Times in 1,313 Posts

seen one in 222 and 20 gauge at the gun show yesterday, didn't notice the price but did wonder about converting to .223.

I have one in 22lr and .410 with side button selector. Can the side button selector be converted to a hammer selector?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:19 AM

I have a 357max/20 and a 30-30/20 that have dropped many deer as well as small game in my youth. newer equipment is lighter though and I am no longer in pheasant/grouse territory.
The Following User Says Thank You to eclectic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
I have a 357max/20 and a 30-30/20 that have dropped many deer as well as small game in my youth. newer equipment is lighter though and I am no longer in pheasant/grouse territory.
I wanted the 357/20 when I was shopping for one. But they go for a mint

Old 11-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,057 Times in 458 Posts

have 22 long rifle over 20 ga nice gun used it quite a bit when I was younger now just for pests around the barn and yard
The Following User Says Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 2,055 Posts

I have a 30-30 over 20 ga. It has put a lot of meat on the table. It is very accurate and shoots cast projectiles well. In fact I have used it for ground squirrels shooting a 150 gr, cast projectile at 1500 fps. I mounted a 2.5 shotgun scope on it. The gun is a bit heavy. One hunting buddy had one in 357 max over 20 and sold it due to the weight. he kept a 22mag over 20 gauge as his turkey gun. There is no "one gun" but if you reload and cast your own projectiles the 30-30 over 20 ga would be a good choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,455 Times in 7,091 Posts

My grandson has my .223 over 20. Pretty decent gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,008 Times in 9,798 Posts

I should buy a lottery ticket on my way home.

I arrived at the Tulsa show at 0830.
Spotted a man walking in with a Savage 24 about 30 ft in front of me. Turns out he had a recent 24V in 30-30/20 ga att a reasonable price.
I bought it and carried out to my Jeep, then enjoyed the rest of the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_104040.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	293846  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 10:08 PM

I have a Savage 24C which is a .22/20ga. This is my woods gun and I hunt both small and large game. I have killed a couple of deer using slugs with the shotgun barrel and I highly recommend getting one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 12:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,106 Times in 964 Posts

30-30/20gauge combo sounds like a great gun. Would like to find one under $750+. Seems to be an expensive combination.