question re: AK47 from PSA - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 7,849 Times in 1,606 Posts
Default question re: AK47 from PSA

Advertise Here

I decided I can't go on any longer without buying another AK. The last one I bought was during the Clinton AWB; I believe it was Romanian and it cost $350. It looks like now the best I can find is over $600 from PSA (for one with a folding stock).

What I want to ask is does anyone here have experience with one of these, and if so, do they have the reliability the AK is known for and are they at least as well made as the ones that came from former Soviet block countries? And is there any problem with the folding stock, as in does it leave the stock loose or anything?

Also, is this probably the best gun of this type for the money, or is there maybe a better one for the same money or one that's as good for less?

Thanks!

Oh, and for those who want to tell me that the AR is a better rifle, thank you for your opinion; I'll make a note of it. I actually like both.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 07:40 PM

I asked a similar question a while back. The hard core AK guys said to avoid US made. Dont know if that changed any. The PSA was tempting me too. I put one of their 7.62x39 uppers on an AR and haven't had any trouble.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thequintessentialman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Prepared

I like the idea of AKs and their utility, but the execution leaves some to be desired. Like, mainly a way to solid mount an optic, sight radius, safety activation, mag insert and removal, no LRBHO and more. Yes, you can fix some of this, but there are limitations.
I’d say if you really like the 7.62x39 round and are comfortable/familiar with the AR platform then go with the newer, now more reliable AR x39 platforms. Think it’s called a KS-47 with PSA.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Glockpride For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 08:33 PM

I believe the KS is a hybrid design. PSA makes a 7.62x39 upper that bolts on to a standard AR lower. Looks funny with the banana curve mag but lots of fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thequintessentialman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Nothing to see here...

I have one of their "blemished" AKs and the only thing for me personally was the thinner barrel which made it impractical to mount an existing suppressor on one. I've never been an AK guy and have stuck with the AR platform (from bootcamp days to today) but its is nice having an option to shoot inexpensive x39 ammo. I've run several types of ammo through it and while not a tack driver it is still minute-of-man out to 150 yards. Until the last few years the "AR-47" haven't been reliable enough and were more of an expensive range toy.

Just as with our ARs I mounted a Vortex Strikefire II on it using a side mount that I found on Optics Planet (good ratings on it). Once someone in the family gets familiar with the manual of arms it is easy to pick up and use given the same optics. For the cost PSA was a good introduction into the AK world without breaking the bank (and letting me know that I'll stick to the AR world).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meadmkr For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 11:21 AM

I have not seen a PSA AR-47 upper in a long time. Not sure if they will ever carry them again. I wanted to get one to marry to an AR lower.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steelart99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,030 Times in 2,214 Posts

PSA GF3 AK 47 got great review from AK Operators Union 47-74
For sure worth consideration

https://youtu.be/rxk1wAOznsU

I think the WASR10s are in the same price range

Last edited by Jack Swilling; 10-27-2019 at 02:56 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,909 Times in 5,009 Posts

Like JS above says Rob with AKOU ran one through his test and it survived so that would indicate they are OK...

I don't own myself though...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Prepared

I'm with Q, got a 7.62X39 AR top from Palmetto State. Extractor broke after about 100 Tula steel case rounds. Quick turnaround by PSA, new extractor. I added a heavy buffer and it's runnin good on that Tula stuff. For grins, seated at a bench, I can check my groups with a spotting scope on the steel targets at Lonestarhandgun range east of San Antonio.

Mounted a scope, but took it off, prefer irons for quicker target pick up. I figure that Russian caliber good for about 220 yards maximum, don't plan to shoot anything that takes MOA accuracy or is small enough I can't see it at 25 yards with the irons.

It's one of my funner rifles. 30 round magazine doesn't run well at all, but I prefer the 10 and 20 rounders for compactness.

Matching it for range fun is a Yugo 92 pistol with a SeeAll sight. Perfect functioning with the same Tula steel cases, accurate enough for fun within 100 yards or so, and it, too, looks more balanced and handles better with 10 and 20 round magazines.
The Following User Says Thank You to fflincher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 07:44 PM
In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
PSA GF3 AK 47 got great review from AK Operators Union 47-74
For sure worth consideration

https://youtu.be/rxk1wAOznsU

I think the WASR10s are in the same price range
Rob Ski does one hell of a job with his detailed videos. I would, if I were you, buy a WASR10 just to see if that round is right for you. The new WASR's are tight like prom night and I have never had any problems (unlike 10 years ago when they were a poop show) except for the time I went to the range for the first time with it and set up on the left hand side of the firing line. I was launching steel 3 and 4 bays over smacking a couple guys right in the melon. Whoops.

I love my PSA carbine, but if I was to be in a situation where I needed one gun, I'd go with the Euro AKM. Plus it's ballistically closer to the 30/30 (.32 SPL actually), with which I have used to chase whitetail for years and I know it's limitations.

Good luck with your search.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,445 Times in 3,316 Posts

The PSAK is in its third iteration or Gen3. Its a pretty solid AK in its price range. PSA backs up its stuff well in the event you have any issues. Their 1st gen AK's had mostly cast parts which is no longer the case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoplite59 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,875 Times in 978 Posts

PSA makes amazing products. I REALLY want their new folding "brace" stock model. Very cool little rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_mg_7655.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	293524  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:15 AM

I recommend Century Arms C39v2. 100% American made. Upper is milled from one piece of steel. An awesome piece of weaponry.
The Following User Says Thank You to laralynx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralynx View Post
I recommend Century Arms C39v2. 100% American made. Upper is milled from one piece of steel. An awesome piece of weaponry.
I recommend Arsenal, because it is better
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Target Shooter

I just dont understand AK versus AR. Could you share why you prefer AK? I will do the same..
1. AR's are very simple to assemble/disassemble to replace parts (although I've never had a failure)
2. AR parts are more common in US
3. Ability to change caliber/barrel length/optic with 2 pins (and the optic would already be sighted in.
For instance I have a 556 10.5 upper with Trijicon MRO
I have a 556 16" upper with Steiner 1-4x
I'm building a 300blk 8" upper with another Trijicon MRO with an integral suppressor.
If you LOVE the 7.62 round why not go with an AR10? I personally dont like/trust steel case ammo, but the 147 grain mil-spec 762 x 51 PMC stuff can be had for $14 for 20 rounds.. and it's a more effective accurate round...
My last point would be related to the AK's piston system. Alot of places making pretty sweet piston uppers now.. LMT and PWS come to mind. Like the AK these arent as accurate as typical AR uppers... but they could kind of get you over to the right side :-)
I'm just curious as I have a good buddy that is AK For Life... and he cant explain why. It certainly cant be simply for the cheap steel case ammo right? I would think the inherent trade off in accuracy alone would make that point moot.
I know the value of stock piling ammo... but 556 is super cheap... and 308 isnt all that bad... of course those would not be able to share the same lower.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,145 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I just dont understand AK versus AR.
I have never understood why some people are so willing to fund our sworn enemies by buying arms from them.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I have never understood why some people are so willing to fund our sworn enemies by buying arms from them.

Q: Is Arsenal Inc. and Arsenal Co. of Bulgaria the same company?
A: Arsenal Inc. of Las Vegas, Nevada is not the same company as Arsenal Co. of Kazanlak, Bulgaria. Arsenal Inc. manufactures their own products and is the exclusive partner for Arsenal Co. products.

Q: How do I know if I have purchased an offical Arsenal Inc. product?
A: Here are some important markings to look for: All Arsenal Inc. rifles have "ARSENAL LAS VEGAS, NEV. USA" stamped on the left side of the reciever. *Any other product not marked as above is not an official Arsenal Inc. product and is not covered by the warranty of Arsenal Inc.

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/FAQs.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 06:38 PM

"One of the reasons Arsenal rifles are so good is the manner in which the company addresses these quality-control issues at each step in the process. SAM7 rifles are wholly constructed of new-production components (no used or “mystery metal” parts). The original overseas rifles are manufactured by Arsenal in the company's Bulgarian plant. The rifles are then transferred directly to the Arsenal facilities in Las Vegas, Nev., where they are re-manufactured by the company's trained technicians. All operations are conducted in-house resulting in consistent, top-quality guns."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...n-ak-47-rifle/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 07:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,445 Times in 3,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
What sworn enemies ? Chinese and Russian AK's are banned from importation, the Chicoms for a few decades. Hungary, Poland , Czech republic, Bulgaria, Egypt and Romania are hardly our sworn enemies and those are the countries that we are importing from these days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoplite59 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplite59 View Post
What sworn enemies ? Chinese and Russian AK's are banned from importation, the Chicoms for a few decades. Hungary, Poland , Czech republic, Bulgaria, Egypt and Romania are hardly our sworn enemies and those are the countries that we are importing from these days.
Wolf, Silver Bear, Tul, Golden Bear, Brown Bear. Those ring a bell? They are still imported. The AK/SKS rifles from china and Russia may now be import restricted. Their food is not.