Just Had a Stent Put In. What Should I expect? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 08:40 AM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is offline
Beer Truck Door Gunner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,026
Thanks: 29,075
Thanked 56,141 Times in 19,486 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Statin users had better get on CoQ10 immediately. Yes, it is expensive.
__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:43 AM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Statin users had better get on CoQ10 immediately. Yes, it is expensive.
What does the CoQ10 do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine1 View Post
Word on the street is, it only gets worse!
If I don't take care of this properly, old age won't have a chance to get worse.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2019, 09:12 AM
PurpleKitty PurpleKitty is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 11,994
Thanks: 7,843
Thanked 23,407 Times in 8,181 Posts
Default

I had terrible side effects from antidepressants and eventually almost died from one reaction. So no more SSRI's for me.

Some of my side effects:
low blood pressure
Loss of appetite (severe)
Blacking out when standing up
Eventually passed out at work, went home, laid down woke up COVERED in hives for weeks.

Be careful when taking anything. This year I had to deal with medication overuse (rebound) headaches because my friendly little headache pills were causing plenty of headaches on their own.

My Dad, his sister, and my mother all had/have serious heart trouble. Killed my mother. The drugs I take can mess with my heart so that is just ****ed up. But I would rather not murder anyone so there's that. But the lithium and antipsychotic have been linked to various heart difficulties.

I wish all side effects were like the bigger boobs.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2019, 09:45 AM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is offline
Beer Truck Door Gunner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 27,026
Thanks: 29,075
Thanked 56,141 Times in 19,486 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
What does the CoQ10 do?
Normal people make it naturally. It's a critical antioxidant. Statins interfere with its production and is believed to be the cause of muscle breakdown. So a supplement is necessary.

Of course you can do this with select foods. Heart meat from beef and chicken, sardines, and the hyper expensive belly of tuna. If you live where sardines are caught fresh then I'd actually suggest that. It good for the heart too. But eating a whole lot of canned sardines might change your body odor in a bad way. Heart muscle meat might cause gout if you eat it a lot. Tuna belly is stupid expensive for making a regular diet item.

So fresh sardines as a regular part of your diet or go with a CoQ10 supplement.

Since it isn't a script there is no way to use co-pays. It can easily run a dollar a capsule. You have to become a rabid watcher of drug store sales and always be hunting those price breaks.

My family has the "cholesterol gene" that always runs the numbers high. So I have my Lipitor script in pill sizes that are double strength, like I'm doing pill cutting ostensibly to save money. But instead I take the double sized pill every other day so my system gets a break. I take a CoQ10 capsule when I take my statin.

Does it work? No muscle weakness, my tests look good, and I'm not dead yet. But there is no blood test for just being both oddball and stubborn. You should consult your cardiologist instead just a pharmacy tech like me. YMMV.
__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

I went for a 5 AM walk this morning. No aches in my chest or arms, so it looks like the procedure worked.

Zeke, I will check out the CoQ10. That may be good advice to prevent the nasty side effects from the statin. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 6,806
Thanks: 4,767
Thanked 13,421 Times in 4,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsgt View Post
6 yrs. ago I had a 100% blockage of the widow maker. Flat lined in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Wife was told that there was no time for prep. they would just do it. Everything was a non-event as far as I was concerned, except the bikini trim(DRY).

Outside of being tired and having very little energy it is a full recovery. Watch for problems caused by the meds. such as balance, tired, upset stomach.

Glad to hear that you are doing well, eat healthy and exercise. They tell me that these are the answer and have appeared to work for me.
Widow maker here too, folded up like a house of cards in the ER. Still quite impressed that I survived. Guy I know, 20 days later, same ER, same heart doctor on, he takes the ambulance ride, codes 2x there, codes again at the ER and he doesn't make it. Talked to my heart doctor (my doctor in the ER) and he said the guy's heart was too badly damaged. Mine has almost no damage.

I exercise, watch what I eat for the most part. I'm ok with what I take for medicine, I may be a little tired now and then at worst.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 6,806
Thanks: 4,767
Thanked 13,421 Times in 4,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
I went for a 5 AM walk this morning. No aches in my chest or arms, so it looks like the procedure worked.

Zeke, I will check out the CoQ10. That may be good advice to prevent the nasty side effects from the statin. Thanks.
You should have zero chest pain, if so get medical attention ASAP. I take CoQ10 too. Ask your doctor if you qualify for a cardiac rehab program, it was 36 sessions and it helped me a lot.

We had a guy start work with us about 12 years ago, a heavy smoker, bright red face from his BP. He wasn't feeling good at work, they call an ambulance and he winds up with a few stents and is back in a couple of weeks. Not long after, he's smoking again. About 2 years ago, another HA, more stents and he's still red in the face and smokes.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:54 AM
cavsgt cavsgt is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 641
Thanks: 6,897
Thanked 1,223 Times in 447 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
Widow maker here too, folded up like a house of cards in the ER. Still quite impressed that I survived. Guy I know, 20 days later, same ER, same heart doctor on, he takes the ambulance ride, codes 2x there, codes again at the ER and he doesn't make it. Talked to my heart doctor (my doctor in the ER) and he said the guy's heart was too badly damaged. Mine has almost no damage.

I exercise, watch what I eat for the most part. I'm ok with what I take for medicine, I may be a little tired now and then at worst.
Doctor told my wife that I suffered significant damage to the back half of my heart. Between rehab and working at exercising it would appear that I dodged the bullet.

One other thing there was no chest/arm pain involved just the worst headache ever. So not all heart attacks involve shortness of breath, arm/chest pain.

One last thing watch the side effects of your meds. and stay alert for signs of them. Went through a period of balance and walking problems caused by my meds.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 6,806
Thanks: 4,767
Thanked 13,421 Times in 4,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsgt View Post
Doctor told my wife that I suffered significant damage to the back half of my heart. Between rehab and working at exercising it would appear that I dodged the bullet.

One other thing there was no chest/arm pain involved just the worst headache ever. So not all heart attacks involve shortness of breath, arm/chest pain.

One last thing watch the side effects of your meds. and stay alert for signs of them. Went through a period of balance and walking problems caused by my meds.
I have very minor effects from the medication. With the actual HA, I had the crushing chest sensation, no worse on my drive to the ER. But along the way I had pain in the left collarbone.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

I actually feel lucky because a lot of you had much more serious problems than me. I acted on the warning signs, even though I was skeptical, and escaped without any damage to the heart. But I was probably only a couple of days away from an appointment with the pearly gates.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 02:53 PM
arleigh arleigh is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: southern california
Posts: 11,817
Thanks: 6,800
Thanked 11,233 Times in 5,741 Posts
Default

I worked for Abbott Vascular, making stents both cardiac and carotid arteries.
for the heart there are 3 types made that are used . one is a bare metal stent ,used for crushed or damaged arteries ,one is drug coated to prevent renewed growth through the stent that was the original cause for the problem, and the third is the bioabsorbable stent designed to dissolve through time.
Doctors are suppose to keep up with the procedures and advancements in the field but it doesn't always happen. Done wrong the designed result is missed.
There were countless testimonies of success and as a matter of fact my good friend i care for has several stents that have extended her life .
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 04:42 PM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I worked for Abbott Vascular, making stents both cardiac and carotid arteries.
for the heart there are 3 types made that are used . one is a bare metal stent ,used for crushed or damaged arteries ,one is drug coated to prevent renewed growth through the stent that was the original cause for the problem, and the third is the bioabsorbable stent designed to dissolve through time.
Doctors are suppose to keep up with the procedures and advancements in the field but it doesn't always happen. Done wrong the designed result is missed.
There were countless testimonies of success and as a matter of fact my good friend i care for has several stents that have extended her life .
Good info. My stent is the drug-coated variety. The cardiologist says he no longer uses the bare metal type.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 PM
~Black.Dog~ ~Black.Dog~ is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,945
Thanks: 1,538
Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,456 Posts
Default

I am not a doctor and don't dispense medical advice but thought I'd share my Father-in-law's experience here since he was in a similar situation.
7 years ago he had one of those widow maker blockages. He had to be brought back with the electric paddles in his living room and in the helicopter on the way to the hospital. He had stents put in but I don't know the details on that.
Afterwards, he was prescribed a bunch of meds which he balked at since they are health nuts and had been for years. Interesting that he had a heart attack despite their strict diet and active lifestyle but apparently it runs in their family.
Anyway, he didn't like the idea of the blood thinners and other meds so he consulted a kind of woo-woo doctor out in New Mexico. Maybe it was Arizona. He and his wife went out there and stayed at the Doc's ranch for an entire month. At a cost of around $30,000.
He believed what she told him and quit all the meds. He made a few minor changes to his diet, which was already pretty healthy. Quit smoking (but he started again after a year). The only things he takes are some stuff they learned to make that they call Power Tonic and twice daily doses of Cayenne Pepper (half teaspoon of fairly fresh, high scoville unit stuff washed down with water). The Power Tonic is made from Persimmon vinegar, garlic and cayenne.
I was very concerned about him not following doctors orders and going on such a different naturopath regimen. Apparently, I was wrong because after a short time doing this his real doc said his arteries are clean as can be and told him to keep doing whatever he was doing.
Like I mentioned, they are extremely active. They have 40 acres and are constantly building new stuff like a new barn with living quarters above, building incredible stone walls, patios and other stuff.
I wish he would quit smoking but he is convinced that since he rolls his own with supposedly chemical free American Spirit tobacco, he is ok. He believes it's the chemicals in cigarettes that cause the health issues. I kinda think that tar build up of any kind in your lungs can't be good. But, what do I know? He seems to be doing great!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 PM
bunny bunny is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,711
Thanks: 12,988
Thanked 5,920 Times in 2,547 Posts
Default

In the recovery room after back surgery my husband had a heart attack. He was taken in for tests and had a stent put in. 3 months later had a pacemaker put in He was 65 at the time and now is 82. He has a great heart Dr. At the present time he just goes in for checkups every 6 months for all tests needed and has his pacemaker changed about every 11 to 12 months.. When he goes in every 6 months they also check his pacemaker and know when it needs changing. He has never had a problem since.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 06:33 AM
Jackpine1's Avatar
Jackpine1 Jackpine1 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Age: 67
Posts: 532
Thanks: 1,784
Thanked 891 Times in 378 Posts
Default

From Iamfarticus:
Quote:
Ask your doctor if you qualify for a cardiac rehab program, it was 36 sessions and it helped me a lot.
Totally agree, should have mentioned this myself. Great group of PT's, really knew their stuff. Pushed me way harder than I would have pushed myself.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 6,806
Thanks: 4,767
Thanked 13,421 Times in 4,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
I actually feel lucky because a lot of you had much more serious problems than me. I acted on the warning signs, even though I was skeptical, and escaped without any damage to the heart. But I was probably only a couple of days away from an appointment with the pearly gates.
I worked with a guy a couple of years prior to my HA, he was 61, worked as an EMT for a local fire department as a volunteer. Smart guy, or should have been. He worked in another facility from me, but he's having chest pains at work, leaves early and has to talk coworkers out of dialing 911.

He goes home, waits for his wife to get home.. she of course freaks, starts calling 911. He stops her, they compromise on seeing the family doctor in the morning and he wakes up dead. This man is what got me up and going to the ER. I was literally minutes away from death. From the time I walked into the ER to coding was less than 2 minutes, this is why my heart was not badly damaged.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 AM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamfarticus View Post
I worked with a guy a couple of years prior to my HA, he was 61, worked as an EMT for a local fire department as a volunteer. Smart guy, or should have been. He worked in another facility from me, but he's having chest pains at work, leaves early and has to talk coworkers out of dialing 911.

He goes home, waits for his wife to get home.. she of course freaks, starts calling 911. He stops her, they compromise on seeing the family doctor in the morning and he wakes up dead. This man is what got me up and going to the ER. I was literally minutes away from death. From the time I walked into the ER to coding was less than 2 minutes, this is why my heart was not badly damaged.
There is a denial factor involved in this, especially if you live a healthy lifestyle.

When I went to my regular doctor, I thought he was going to recommend a respiratory care doc, because the symptoms felt bronchial due to the ache starting down the middle of my chest.

When he did the EKG and it showed no issues, I thought that ruled out the heart. I was surprised when he sent me to a cardiac specialist and equally surprised (and doubtful) when the cardiologist told me I had a blockage and needed the heart catheterization. They were all correct. I was wrong.

But you would think an EMT would know the symptoms and respond. Perhaps he feared possible bypass surgery.

For anyone facing this, the heart catheterization is a piece of cake. I was awake for the procedure. There was no pain, but you do get significant exposure to ionizing x-rays. This procedure won't help if you have a valve problem. It's used to revieve blockages and diagnose internal heart problems.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Bearsclaw 73 Bearsclaw 73 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 479
Thanks: 242
Thanked 772 Times in 260 Posts
Default

They put stints in around my heart a few years ago. I had problems breathing after they sent me home and I went to the ER three times where they kept me overnight for observation. The whole medical team came in and they told me that they didn't know what was wrong but it wasn't from anything that they had done. Then the attacks got worse and heat would flood up through my body starting at my feet. I would have to lean way back on the couch and gasp for air. My G.P. said that it was a reaction to Simvastatin and that another guy had just had the same problem. They changed my statin to Rosuvastatin and the attacks went away immediately. Good to know the side effects and if there are any recalls for medicines these days.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 AM
HomeDefense's Avatar
HomeDefense HomeDefense is offline
Bad Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hellfire, Arizona
Posts: 4,221
Thanks: 2,549
Thanked 17,061 Times in 3,630 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsclaw 73 View Post
They changed my statin to Rosuvastatin and the attacks went away immediately. Good to know the side effects and if there are any recalls for medicines these days.
Statins can be very nasty drugs.

They have me on Rosuvastatin. The only side effect I've noticed related to that is a drop in blood pressure when I take it. I check my blood pressure regularly and it drops about 15 minutes after taking Rosuvastatin. I'm not getting light-headed or dizzy, so that may be normal.

Rosuvastatin is Crestor, which does cause serious side effects for some people.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Iamfarticus's Avatar
Iamfarticus Iamfarticus is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 6,806
Thanks: 4,767
Thanked 13,421 Times in 4,873 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
There is a denial factor involved in this, especially if you live a healthy lifestyle.

When I went to my regular doctor, I thought he was going to recommend a respiratory care doc, because the symptoms felt bronchial due to the ache starting down the middle of my chest.

When he did the EKG and it showed no issues, I thought that ruled out the heart. I was surprised when he sent me to a cardiac specialist and equally surprised (and doubtful) when the cardiologist told me I had a blockage and needed the heart catheterization. They were all correct. I was wrong.

But you would think an EMT would know the symptoms and respond. Perhaps he feared possible bypass surgery.

For anyone facing this, the heart catheterization is a piece of cake. I was awake for the procedure. There was no pain, but you do get significant exposure to ionizing x-rays. This procedure won't help if you have a valve problem. It's used to revieve blockages and diagnose internal heart problems.
This guy was far from healthy and the same age as me when I had my event, 61. He was quite over-weight and did zero exercise.

One buddy of mine, he was about 6 months after my HA. He has been shoveling snow and a couple of days later didn't feel well, his wife dragged him to his doctor, my friend thought he had the flu. The doc runs an EKG strip, compares it to his last one.. hmmm... better head over to the ER. Which they did. Even the doctors initially thought his heart was not involved until they ran some blood tests and found some sort of marker that goes with a HA. This was on a Saturday, they scheduled him for a bypass on the upcoming Tuesday. he got to watch a video on the procedure and all sorts of pre-care. Me, I slid into 3rd base full bore, head first in comparison.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
heart attack, stent



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net