Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,453 Times in 646 Posts
Default Canada, Honda postie

Advertise Here

I'm hoping someone from Canada can tell me if Honda Trail 90's or 110's are still available? Any idea of new cost or cost under 9-10kmiles?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,297 Times in 834 Posts

The supercub is not sold new in Canada, might be better off getting one from the US. They have made over 100 million of them, must be a few about.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:21 AM
VIP Member

Don't know if it will do you any good, but I routinely see these for sale on Minneapolis Craigslist.
https://stcloud.craigslist.org/mcy/d...967501187.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...978794659.html
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...975575523.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,651 Times in 685 Posts

they are still available in Asia and parts of Europe. it's now called the Honda Wave, IIRC. not sold in N. America, I looked into bringing one back one time. you would have to do it in pieces...

they are very similar to the originals, but fuel injected now, 125cc, etc.

used ones are still available all over, I have 5 myself, one is a Chinese lifan conversion which is easy and cheap to do if you find one with a bad engine.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:00 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,858 Times in 4,906 Posts

I grew up with a trusty friend, the lowly 1968 Honda CT90. I always thought CT stood for Cow Trail.

In any case, good memories of a really fun bike. I will say that the later versions were far more reliable. Mine seemed to always need repairs. In 1968, Honda did not have the bugs worked out. A friend had (what I think was) a 1973 and his seemed to be much more reliable.

I took a piece of plywood, and a slab of foam, attached some leather with a staple gun, and made a rear seat. Screwed it on with short lags. Actually worked perfectly for girlfriends.

Both years had equal power and capability. But the later version had real forks, and certainly handled more like a real motorcycle. My 1968 had stamped sheetmetal forks, with tiny conventional shock absorbers inside. Hooked by a small swing arm to the front axle. The front shocks would bottom over every rock, root or bump larger than one inch. Annoying at times, but the front suspension never failed.

If nothing else, that bike taught me the necessity of capable suspension.

The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
I grew up with a trusty friend, the lowly 1968 Honda CT90. I always thought CT stood for Cow Trail.

In any case, good memories of a really fun bike. I will say that the later versions were far more reliable. Mine seemed to always need repairs. In 1968, Honda did not have the bugs worked out. A friend had (what I think was) a 1973 and his seemed to be much more reliable.

I took a piece of plywood, and a slab of foam, attached some leather with a staple gun, and made a rear seat. Screwed it on with short lags. Actually worked perfectly for girlfriends.

Both years had equal power and capability. But the later version had real forks, and certainly handled more like a real motorcycle. My 1968 had stamped sheetmetal forks, with tiny conventional shock absorbers inside. Hooked by a small swing arm to the front axle. The shocks would bottom over every rock, root or bump larger than one inch. Annoying at times, but the front suspension never failed.

If nothing else, that bike taught me the necessity of capable suspension.

I have a couple of that style, both have the older OHV engine. quite different than the later OHC we are all used to. the susupension hadn't been updated yet for actual trail use, remember these were originally road bikes and weren't designed as trail bikes until a dealer changed the gearing and they became a big seller out West. Honda couldn't figure out why he was selling so many in the middle of nowhere. They visited, and then made their own factory version. my earliest is a rare Honda 55, and I also have models with the original leg shields the cubs had.
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,751 Times in 9,033 Posts

There are several for sale locally that are in nice condition, more than $1000 for fair conditioned used ones. I looked at a 72 for $1500, I bought a 2002 king quad for a few bucks more.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,956 Times in 1,120 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Wave_series

Quote:
The Honda Wave – also marketed as the Honda NF series (codename), Honda Innova in Europe, and Honda Supra in Indonesia – are a series of motorcycles manufactured by Honda that debuted in 1995 with an underbone design, having separate cosmetic plastic body panels over a structural steel tube chassis. The Wave series succeeds the Super Cub which used pressed steel frame acting as both the structural chassis and cosmetic bodywork. It serves as the Southeast Asian model of the historic Honda Cub.

The Wave is available with three displacements - 100 cc, 110 cc and 125 cc. The 100 and 110 cc models' engine is physically similar size to the Cub engine, sharing mountings, while the 125 cc models use a larger engine, incompatible with the Cub and 100/110 mountings. In addition to the three models that use carburetors, Honda also produces the fuel-injected model starting in 2008 for 110 cc and 125 cc models. The 100 cc model was discontinued in 2008.

In 2006, the Wave received a facelift. In addition, the 125 cc model includes a key slot cover for better protection against theft. Starting from 2007, the Innova 125 in Europe began using fuel injection system to replace the carburetors used by most of the Wave series.

In Indonesia, the 110 cc model is marketed as the Honda Revo, and unlike the original Wave 110, it was not offered in the market until 2008, when it replaced the previous 100 cc model, known as Supra Fit.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,858 Times in 4,906 Posts

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....-tw200-review/

The Yamaha TW200 is probably the closest relative to the old CT90. It's a small, lightweight bike with a huge fun factor. And it will go nearly anywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,399 Posts

Wow, memories...I had a 1971 90. Rode the hell out of it. Put an oversize sprocket on the rear...fun times.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 PM

still own my 1979 and ride it weekly both on my acreage offroad, as well as enjoying 2 lane country road rides...with 40 years on the bike, the only mechanical swap out i've done is to put a new carb on it..basically cause i was too lazy to rebuild the original.

not sure Canada..Honda does have their new version for that market overseas...stronger engine, able to pull 55mph, 21 volt, electric start, etc...that's the way to go, but if you have your heart set on a real postie, or a CT90/110...then yeah, tons of em out there..finding one with a clean title so you can plate it for road riding..that'll cost a bit more $...mine is titled, licensed and I ride it as a legal motorcycle here in the states on secondary roads.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,992 Times in 9,792 Posts

I owned a Honda trail 90 in the early 1970s. Motor ran great, but the suspension was dismall. Unless its about the postie image, I recomend a newer bike with more power, electronic ignition, and better shocks. A Kawasaki thumper would be a good choice. https://thumpertalk.com/forums
Old 09-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....-tw200-review/

The Yamaha TW200 is probably the closest relative to the old CT90. It's a small, lightweight bike with a huge fun factor. And it will go nearly anywhere.
those are nice dual sport bikes, but I wouldn't say they have anything related to a CT90 other than 2 wheels. it's a fat tired enduro, too large an engine, no low gearing, no automatic clutch, and hard to find in good condition and when you do they are 5x the cost. and for $3-5k, there are lots of other dual sports I would look at personally (the Chinese knockoff's for $1500 out the door are great little machines, sort of half Yamaha/half Honda clones--google Chinese dual sport, there are forums just for them)

Honda trails were simple machines, easy to start, easy to ride, not too powerful, not too fast, no clutching, and very capable. but definitely not something you would ride like what's in the pic you posted. two different worlds altogether.

no offense meant, just not a good comparison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 02:25 PM

agreed.. I'm not advocating an old Honda trail bike for anything other than the enjoyment of tinkering with an old vintage machine...too many great new rigs out there..12volt, more power, better suspension etc

my 1979 will outlive me..and get passed on to one of my kids or sold to some other honda fanatic.

for now, it sees ride time about twice a month on my personal property trails and on about 10 miles of back country roads. It also rides on the bumper of my camper and has seen action in 11 states that we have visited. it's great to be in a state or national park and just enjoy tooling around, or be in a small tourist town where 25mph isn't even happening cause the traffic is bunched up..you can tour the town, stop at shops etc..and it always ends in smiles and conversations from folks who remember those old bikes...it's not a commuter bike..can't really keep up..feels more like a moped out in traffic and folks see it as that rather than a real motorcycle..so it comes with additional traffic risks.

for the record, did take it to an area ATV park twice...tried to stay on the green trails, couple blue ones, but got lost following a group of ATVs and wound up deep in the woods, muddy trails, deep ruts from large machines and as we rounded a curve we were suddenly faced with a steep climb.. I held back and watched the show as they spun mud climbing the hill, smaller lower clearend quads bellying out due to the deep ruts..once the were all up and out i dropped it in low and started the climb..carefully balancing on the center hump...they had all stopped to assess their damage and celebrate their victory in a clearing at the top and man were they surprised to see the old guy come out of the trees..they figured I'd have to turn around and find another way home..they didn't expect that old bike to make it...and while it ain't fast, it can climb and actually had an easier time than some of the quads cause i didn't get down in the ruts, just did some good balance riding on the center...so , no, don't sell the old school stuff short...if it's all i had on a bad day, I'd sure be grateful for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hondact90 For This Useful Post: