Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

Advertise Here

The military replaced the horse with the Jeep or motorcycle for travel on level ground, but they still had to use thousands of mules on both sides in WWII when the terrain was rough. Seems that the determinant is where you're starting from, where you're going, and the kind of ground you have to cover in between.
Where I'm from, where there's any kind of road there's a shoulder and usually a few more feet on the outside of the guard rail or drainage ditch. My goto is a lightweight 4WD with a large DS bike in a front wheel hitch hauler like this: https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/mont...1484884727.jpg
The way I look at it, your biggest asset is good intel, and if there's gridlock you need a way to figure out what's going on in front of you. If there's a wreck a few miles ahead that can be cleared, you're in good shape. If traffic is locked up for the foreseeable, you'll have to find a place that will do as a secluded supply dump and start shuttling your gear. My bike will go any place I can go while carrying a decent load.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,699 Times in 792 Posts

Come to think of it, a thousand gridlocked cars will be deserted within a week, and that leaves a huge fuel dump that a bike's perfect for tapping into.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 38,846 Times in 11,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphrowzeebragg View Post
The military replaced the horse with the Jeep or motorcycle for travel on level ground, but they still had to use thousands of mules on both sides in WWII when the terrain was rough. Seems that the determinant is where you're starting from, where you're going, and the kind of ground you have to cover in between.
Where I'm from, where there's any kind of road there's a shoulder and usually a few more feet on the outside of the guard rail or drainage ditch. My goto is a lightweight 4WD with a large DS bike in a front wheel hitch hauler like this: https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/mont...1484884727.jpg
The way I look at it, your biggest asset is good intel, and if there's gridlock you need a way to figure out what's going on in front of you. If there's a wreck a few miles ahead that can be cleared, you're in good shape. If traffic is locked up for the foreseeable, you'll have to find a place that will do as a secluded supply dump and start shuttling your gear. My bike will go any place I can go while carrying a decent load.

Nice set up. I love the klr, only change would be a preference for a kick start option as backup when the batt dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Mini tourer expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Nice set up. I love the klr, only change would be a preference for a kick start option as backup when the batt dies.
The 250 klr is kick start only, and cheap. One is for sale by me for 1800. low miles, perfect shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckklr98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM

I have an M998 in really good condition. It is suppose to run after an EMP. Though I don't drive it as a daily driver. I live at my bug out so it would be for movement after shtf.

But I have thought about buying one of these. They are a 100% mechanical diesel with no electronics to fail in an EMP. One of the only "New" vehicles you can buy that is EMP proof so it should last for a long time.

https://tomcar.com/tx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcQSRPgijFc
Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,956 Times in 1,415 Posts

I'll take a 1984 Chevy Suburban 4x4 350 V8.

No fuel injection and dirt simple. Plus... tons of them or other Chevy's in wrecking yards for parts.

Then I will have two complete sets of wiring and all electrics in a Faraday Cage as extra's....

The OP's rig will be a 5,000 lb paper weight with an EMP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 03:20 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,795 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
the perfect bug out vehicle.....is a pack mule....
Ole Festus from the days of GunSmoke would agree with you 110% on that. His mule was named Ruth even though there were a few of them used over the years of that great western show.

No special diets like horses require. They'll eat anything. Won't get you there as fast as a horse but, I'd almost bet the distance they can cover will outdo that horse at the end of the day.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:44 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

As for my current BOV, I've got a '95 F150, 2wd, 302 V8, 35 gallons of fuel on board (get me between 600-700 miles on a trip) with a Gem Top Canopy on that back. In the back is where all the goodies are. Two single bunks (Might take one out or make it a bunkbed on one side so I can put in some cabinets on the passenger side to have a surface for cooking, maybe a hand pump sink, 12v/110v cooler under the cabinet, big ole Marine battery, have a battery isolator under my hood to charge the main battery and the marine battery. Have a Fantastic Fan that fits in the roof vent on top to circulate some air.

I'd love to find a small RV type A/C unit I could put on the roof but, it's have to be low enough that my jon boat can still go on the racks up there. Still pondering at least one solar panel.

Got one of those black shower bags that you fill with water and hang out in the sun so you can have a warm shower sometime. Hand it from my awning or a nearby tree.

I want to get an actual roll up awning but, right now, this past weekend I picked up a blue tarp setup complete with tent poles. I've going to put grommet holes in it so I can fasten one side to the top of my canopy. Might have to put some on the outside corners for the tent poles if they're not already on there.

Bench seat in front makes for another bed.

Got a bunch of those sun deflectors you put up in your front window to keep the sun out. I put snaps in them and have the make part of the snaps mounted above and below the windows in the canopy.

Gonna put a motorcycle rack on the front bumper, hopefully I can find one with a 2" receiver so I can carry it on the back as well.

ICOM 706 HF/VHF radio for listening and talking to other folks out there. Police scanner, CB radio as well.

It's definitely a stealth rig so I can park it just about anywhere and nobody will know I'm in there unless I put the tarps out.

I'd love to find a high top rook like what's on some of the camper style cargo vans and mount that on the roof of my canopy but, that will interfere with my boat and whatever else I out up there.

It's a work in progress and if I ever upgrade to a newer truck, all this stuff will go right on it as well.

Thinking about mounting some wooden cabinets over the passenger side above the stove/sink are for additional storage, maybe like pots and pans, dry food, etc.

I've got a few small trailers and I've though about converting a 4'x8' trailer I have into a box trailer. Aluminum frame, using 4'x8' coroplast signs from election signs you can get for free. Might make that a double layer for more stability.

It keeps me busy and when I need to pull over and take a nap, I just gotta find a rest stop or a parking lot and park away from all the traffic.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Because the end of the world requires a leather & suede interior.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Now that motorcycles are popping up in the BOV, make mine a trust old Rokon. 2wd, big all terrain tires I've heard you can carry fuel in.. Built like a 2 wheeled tank.. Not that fast but fast enough to get away from anyone on 2 legs or a bicycle.. And pretty much all cars and trucks down a skinny trail..
Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
Now that motorcycles are popping up in the BOV, make mine a trust old Rokon. 2wd, big all terrain tires I've heard you can carry fuel in...
This just didn't make any sense to me, given how well fuel behaves with some types of rubber, so I had to look it up. How about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://manyringding.tripod.com/faq/#8
The Rokon comes with a choice of 3 wheel types. The most common type is a 15" tube type aluminum drum wheel that can hold 4.5 gal of your choice of liquid (gas,water,scotch, etc.) or be left empty to provide flotation. The most common size tire is the 6.70x15 Goodyear Shur-Trac implement tire. This is the familiar "V" lug tractor tire. Recently Goodyear has come out with another tread design in this tire that has a little better "side" traction, it is a 5.90X15 and has a "cup" tread design. Recently Rokon has introduced a "12 aluminum drum wheel as an option. The other type of wheel is the 12" spoke type. It is a steel tubeless rim with 5 large diameter radial spokes. The wheels are the same front to back for both types with the exception of the front wheel on the rear wheel drive only RT-140. It has a large brake disc in place of a sprocket on the front wheel. On the steel wheels the sprocket is welded on, the aluminum wheels use either bolt on or pressed on sprockets.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeltaNu1142 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Wait. 4.5 gallons of Scotch?!?! Hmmm.. Make it some fine Irish Whisky and now we're talkin..

It's amazing how many of those old 2wd tanks are still out there on the market. Not too shabby of prices either..

Hold the phone!!

They're still making them to this day?!?! Brand new one is around $7,800 and they have parts manuals all the way back from the original Rokons.

I saw one ad where the guy said he rebuilt the engine and that got me to looking..

I might just have to sell off one of my Goldwings and get me one or two of those beasts..