Your effective range with irons - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
POF SPORTER , A Pakistan made HK clone in 308 Win . RANT , REVIEW AND RANGE REPORT Zain Rifle Forum 16 06-09-2019 04:42 AM
M16 why early problems? dmas Military Weapons Forum 220 03-04-2018 07:47 PM
Need advice on long range rifle ShadowWatcher Rifle Forum 55 03-05-2017 09:23 AM
This rifle amazes me! Any long range guys? Black Knight Rifle Forum 42 01-25-2017 12:54 PM
Range Vendor Vending Machine for Gun Stuff AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 01-18-2017 12:41 AM

Old 11-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,011 Times in 4,229 Posts

Advertise Here

My son is starting to outshoot me...being almost 21 and close to 18 years on the trigger helps (yeah, he was busting clay pigeons at 50 meters with a .22 single shot rifle when he was three and a half years old). My last qualification was expert a few years ago before I retired. I don't think I shot anything less over the past 20+years; however my eyes are getting a little more strained at 300 meters. I know I'm good out to 200-250 with irons, but much prefer optics (even a 1x RDS) these days.

As much as I prefer having BUIS on any HD/duty weapon, I typically only train with them at 100 meters. I'm now taking "rifle" classes with an AR pistol and have zero issues out at that distance with iron sights.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,812 Posts

Old age sneaks up on us all, one of the first things to go is eyesight. I wear glasses and find that bi/tri focal lenses are a no go with iron sights. Progressive lenses are better since the magnification is gradual and not stepped.

With progressive lenses I can slightly shift the lens (up/down) while viewing the sights and approximate what my younger eyes use to do automatically. It isn't perfect, but at this point I'll take what I can get.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post: