D.I.Y. M.R.E.s....a pictorial.....*OFFICIAL THREAD* - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official XD-XDm thread¯ Gunner65 Pistol and Revolver Forum 252 08-07-2019 08:26 PM
Official 9/11 thread Jim Boonie Site Information & Suggestion Box 0 07-17-2012 06:28 PM
OM NOM NOM: The official Thread! Nightwing Jokes, Humor & Music 33 04-03-2012 03:32 PM

Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Time to hit reset

Thanked 32,083 Times in 13,399 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyuer1 View Post
If the container is void of air you shouldn't need an absorber. That more like something you would use with a 5 gallon bucket of rice or flower that isnt vacuum sealed.
Thanks for clearing up my 'silly' question of the day
I thought it may be 'overkill', but just needed some clarification, thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 7,044 Times in 2,998 Posts

Go to theepicenter.com, they have great variety of foods very cheap. Just opened up a bean and chili last night to test, and it pretty damn good.
The Following User Says Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 12:27 PM

thank you! this is exactly the information i needed!

i vote this should become a sticky... i think most people could benefit from this valuable information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guy_Lovejoy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM

A good place to buy condiment single packs is at Minimus They have a wide variety of items...food, personal care, and pharmacy items for camping, backpacking, or hiking.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mbarnatl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,299 Times in 26,247 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_Lovejoy View Post
thank you! this is exactly the information i needed!

i vote this should become a sticky... i think most people could benefit from this valuable information.
I agree with Guy, a Sticky would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Cowboy View Post
If you're not willing to pilfer your local fast-food dives, you can alays get your single serving condiment packs online...just Google whatever condiment you want and add "packet" or "serving"......if you Google "salt & pepper packets", you'll find a zillion folks wanting to sell 'em to you by the thousands......
When you hit the drive through they always ask if you want catsup, mustard or hot sauce, Always say "sure" and ask for something they didn't offer. The kid at the window will grab a fistfull and toss them in the bag. It's not pilfering if you ask.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM

All I can say is take a walk up and down each and every isle of several supermarkets and you can find a fair number of non can food. The down side is some of it will require CLEAN water and heat to prepare. The advantage to MRE's is they can be eaten hot or cold, even if you were running low on clean usable water.

I myself use a mix of no cook,or little cook food and dry ready to eat food. Somthings like drink mixs go without saying need water.

Hormel Compleates are the best thing next to MRE entrees for civillian sale and tastier to. These can be eaten cold. Also look at Zaterans and Uncle Ben's 90 second rice pouches they can be eaten cold. I myself have will use some canned stew, ravioli, beef chunks N' gravy, ect. As far as can are concerened obvious as you eat stuff the lighter it will get and after SHTF I'll just bury the rattely cans, like they did in the old days. One just has to be good at putting the surface material back to look natural.

Rifleman 336
Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,377 Times in 380 Posts

It seems that a lot of the stuff you put into your mre's needs to be cooked, like the rice packets and the ramen and such. What are your plans for cooking the meals?
The Following User Says Thank You to Humungus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Got any beer money?

I, too, would like to see this made a "Sticky".

I want to see other people's versions of home-made MRE's. I want more ideas for putting together my own.

It would also be nice if some posters included weights, as I am intending to use them for hiking (mostly).
Old 02-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humungus View Post
It seems that a lot of the stuff you put into your mre's needs to be cooked, like the rice packets and the ramen and such. What are your plans for cooking the meals?
It looks in the pics that he has a military mess kits and canteens. You can use the mess kit or canteen cup for heating foods/ boiling water. The food that needs water can be eaten cold if need be. A true MRE is opened and can be eaten as is with no water added other than for the drink mixes. Homemade MRE's generally missed named and take more time to prepare or require more water than real MRE's. They are sometimes called Emergency Backup Meals or Personal Emergency Resource Kits not to confuse with military MRE's.

What ever you want to call them... homemade MRE, EBM's or PERKs... they are cheaper than buying military or civilian MRE's.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Bum View Post
I, too, would like to see this made a "Sticky".

I want to see other people's versions of home-made MRE's. I want more ideas for putting together my own.

It would also be nice if some posters included weights, as I am intending to use them for hiking (mostly).
I would also like to see the weights as well as the calorie counts.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
I would also like to see the weights as well as the calorie counts.
As for weight, I know they're lighter than a bona-fide MRE...and I try to keep the calories around 1000-1500 per. When I go on long pack-outs, I try to harvest game and wild edibles for the most part...I only dig into my stock when I'm unsuccessful on the hunt.

I only pack foods that can either be prepared w/a little water, or eaten raw/unprepared.

Vacuum sealing of dry, dehydrated food negates the need for adding dessicants.

Thanks for the great responses to my little tutorial...I feel so appreciated....*sniff*...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Urban_Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,560 Times in 3,823 Posts

I go to chick fil a to get individual size packets of Honey, texas pete hot sauce and other items not found at the usual fast food joints.

There are some new single serving meals at the grocery store by some brand name companies that are ready to eat soft sided pouches-there is mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, fettucine alfredo and a few others I think it is call Bistro meals. They are really good, and cheap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Nice. I need to try something like that.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Default can it be done cheaper?

I was wondering how many mre's you got out of it?
its a great idea and I wonder if it could be done cheaper?
The Following User Says Thank You to jay47544 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay47544 View Post
I was wondering how many mre's you got out of it?
its a great idea and I wonder if it could be done cheaper?
I got 21 out of this batch (and still had about 1/2 the pile left to sort and pack), and on occasion I find better prices on the stuff I stow....I've been known to whip up a gross for around $200 or so...plus the cost of vac-rolls....I always keep about 500 or so of these stowed in the SHTF closet and cycle through them every three years.....we're still in the process of rotating this year...replacing one meal a day for the whole family and repacking their replacements every weekend until the rotation is complete.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Urban_Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 01:46 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,377 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
It looks in the pics that he has a military mess kits and canteens. You can use the mess kit or canteen cup for heating foods/ boiling water. The food that needs water can be eaten cold if need be. A true MRE is opened and can be eaten as is with no water added other than for the drink mixes. Homemade MRE's generally missed named and take more time to prepare or require more water than real MRE's. They are sometimes called Emergency Backup Meals or Personal Emergency Resource Kits not to confuse with military MRE's.

What ever you want to call them... homemade MRE, EBM's or PERKs... they are cheaper than buying military or civilian MRE's.

Oh believe me, i am all too familiar with MREs hehe. but as you said, one of their main features is the 'ready to eat' part. That's why i was just wondering what the cooking plan for these was.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humungus View Post
Oh believe me, i am all too familiar with MREs hehe. but as you said, one of their main features is the 'ready to eat' part. That's why i was just wondering what the cooking plan for these was.
Fire+Water+Food=Hot meal....
Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 AM

@Urban Cowboy: You do have a good tutorial on homemade MRE's. You need to make a few videos on this and stick them on youtube.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanked 9,222 Times in 2,756 Posts

wow....awesome post...i am going to repack my hunting and bags just as soon as i can get to the store.

one thing i would/will add would be some wet wipes, i did not see any in your personal care items that you had in the pick. or did you?
The Following User Says Thank You to lorky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
@Urban Cowboy: You do have a good tutorial on homemade MRE's. You need to make a few videos on this and stick them on youtube.
Thanks, man...I have dabbled a bit with video production, but really do prefer still photography.....call me old fashioned....maybe I'll get around to vidding one some time.