IceFire's 2015 - 2019 Garden - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1316 12-03-2019 05:19 PM
Reflecting on 2015 and Looking forward to 2016 Rant pineygal General Discussion 8 04-21-2016 07:11 AM
2015/2016 Winter Forecast Weatherbell's Joe Bastardi kajunman1 General Discussion 1 11-25-2015 07:09 PM
El Nino 2015/2016 ljcygnet Manmade and Natural Disasters 14 09-17-2015 09:50 AM
IceFire's 2014 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 59 01-05-2015 09:47 AM
IceFire's 2013 Garden Thread IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 23 07-31-2013 11:24 PM
IceFire's 2012 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 12-24-2012 04:54 PM
IceFire's 2011 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 56 12-17-2011 05:18 PM
IceFire's 2010 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 12-07-2010 10:43 PM
IceFire's 2009 Garden IceFire Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 25 09-03-2009 07:24 PM

Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,817 Times in 2,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Got the septic inspection and pump-out done yesterday for the new place. Closing is now just 9 days away. Now for the big kicker...just got offered a couple of HORSES last night. We wouldn't be taking possession of them until after we close and get moved out there, of course, but the people are trying to "re-home" them so that they can move into town to a cheaper place. I'm going out to look at them this morning.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM

Congrats on the new home. You said you were going to take some plants? Do you plant to transplant your fruit trees and berry bushes?

As for the horses, have a vet look at them if you can. I know they are gift, but you dont want a 50yr horse that will cost you in the end.

Where you able to get any more out of your garden, and can you still.
Next time try to make pancake syrup. I am going to do that with mine. Just ran out of jars. LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

I know the people who have these horses, and they are well-cared for.

Went by the place that sells premade wood storage buildings and barns to price-check a 2-stall barn with tack/feed room in the middle...turns out the people who own it will be neighbors! They also gave me the contact info of a lady down the road who homesteads and has various livestock for sale (pigs, goats, rabbits, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 03:10 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Closing has now been moved up the Wednesday instead of Friday. Means I can get started on thing even faster.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
Closing has now been moved up the Wednesday instead of Friday. Means I can get started on thing even faster.
How exciting!

Looking forward to pictures of the new homestead.

inMichigan

Last edited by inMichigan; 07-27-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Just got notified of a hold-up. We will NOT be closing tomorrow, or even this week! Seems there is a paperwork issue on the seller's end that has to be resolved first. Don't know HOW long it will be now. Just have to wait and see. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 06:05 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,262 Times in 7,314 Posts

Yeah, that's the usual with real estate.

But, it'll be over soon enough. Take heart!

Can't wait to see pics of your new garden!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:56 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

We are now back on for closing. It will just be NEXT week instead of this week. However, the seller DID say that we have permission to go out and start working on cleaning/re-habbing the house.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Signed the papers and closed on the 19 acres and daughter's house today (she gets the current house, we're adding a 2nd one, and I get 19 acres to play with!

Got the location of the third pond confirmed...eventually, all three pond areas will eventually be cleaned out and the ponds restored.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Preparing

Congratulations!

Woo-hoo!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,730 Times in 851 Posts

Lots of work ahead but it'll be worth it! You won't miss TV, that's for sure! Congratulations.

I saw a story on Fox News regarding Millenials who are staying with their parents and helping to support the family. Really, several generations under one roof is the old way of doing things, and a good way if the family gets along & treats each other well (I wouldn't live with mine under most circumstances.) I wonder sometimes who thought up the notion that kids had to move far away? Separating families does bad things to family structure and isolates people
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 11:51 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

The hole for the septic tank was dug, and the tank delivered, placed, and the remainder of the hole partially filled in. The leach lines can't be dug yet, because during the excavation, one of the teeth on the excavator broke, so now they have to wait until they can get it replaced. We should have the closing for the manufactured home sometime next week, then they can get the site prepped, and the home delivered.

The biggest holdup, though, will be the electric....with two homes on the property, we have to upgrade to 400 amp service, so they have to replace the poles with heavier/taller ones, PLUS run the heavier line, then we have to have the trenches dug to run the lines from the meter to the houses.

In the meantime, we've ripped up and removed the carpet and pad that were saturated with cat pee, and swept/vacuumed up the 1/4 inch of dirt that was UNDER said cat-pee carpet, then scrubbed down the subfloor to remove the stink, drained and removed two waterbeds that had been left in the house, and moved the contents of two storage units AND my garage (which had the bulk of my food storage.) The garage at the new place HAD been full of old car parts and other junk, but some of my son's friends came and cleared it out.. we told them that they could have all the parts, they just had to come and haul them away (which they did quite happily!) They also took the old refrigerator that someone had started to turn into a "kegerator", but never finished; they also took the dead dryer, which freed up some more space in the Arizona room where we are temporarily storing some of the things that we are moving over.

I guess we HAVE gotten quite a bit done in one week's time. Of course, we still have quite a bit of work to do, but we'll get there eventually.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:22 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Started "deconstructing" my garden at the current house and moving plant supports, raised bed frames, etc. over to the new property. Had placed the items over where the new initial garden will be, off to the side, partially under a mesquite (25 feet AWAY from the driveway) to keep things out of the way. IDIOT who doesn't know how to drive a truck delivering a final load of rock for the septic leach beds ran into the mesquite and ran over all of my garden stuff, smashing EVERYTHING. Even FLATTENED the heavy-duty tomato supports that were nested together! What's worse, he didn't even bother to report it to his company OR to the septic contractor. I found the remains this morning, and showed the septic contractor. She was TOTALLY ticked off at the guy! She told me to put together an invoice detailing the cost for replacing the damaged items (INCLUDING sales tax, shipping, AND my labor for researching replacement costs and preparing said invoice) so that she can present it to the rock company and make them pay for the damage their driver caused. It WON'T be cheap.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Preparing

Too bad that happened but a least you have someone on your side to help you get thorough reimbursement, so, silver lining.

Will be glad to see pics of your new set-up!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Pulled up the wood ends and sides from the raised beds and took it out to the new place, along with the "varmint" traps, tiller, gas/oil mix, and other gardening tools. Also got the wood/wire "run for the hutch/coop put back together. Thinking of eventually putting some turkey poults in there.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:00 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

I have been working my buns off since my last post. The area where I plan on putting my herb garden was a MESS! Nothing but grass, weeds, and mesquite, all nicely bordered by rock (so apparently there USED to be something there.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	weeds.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	103396

So, first I started clearing the grass and weeds and trimming back the mesquite (which also was infested with mistletoe, which I also had to remove.

Name:	half cleared.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	103397

After clearing all of the grass and weeds, I started hauling rock....LOTS of rock (for four days) and creating paths around the herb beds, as well as for the opposite edge of the "large path" around the outside of the herb garden. I also placed a bench at a convenient bend, then started planting. I've got rosemary, lavender, and feverfew plants in, as well as a chamomile (could only get one, for now) plant behind the bench, and a citronella to the side. I also planted my saffron bulbs (it will be a while before they come up) and seeded in several other plantings that won't come up for several weeks (or more). This is what it currently looks like.

Name:	MedGard needs plants.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	103398

Finally, I got three "table grape" vines to start planting the vineyard (again, got the only ones available) and will put in wine grapes when they become available.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Preparing

Looks like hard work for you but how wonderful!

Thanks for posting pics!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

The picture of the herb garden was REALLY dark and hard to see (time of day, PLUS a storm moving in) so I got a better picture of it this morning.

Name:	bettergarden.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	103438

You'll have to excuse the areas that look a little "smudgy"...turns out I had handprints on the lens.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Framed up two garden beds over at the new place, and planted one of them with Swiss Chard and a Basil plant, hoping that the basil will keep the blasted GRASSHOPPERS away from that bed. Don't know if it will , though...planted some peppermint, and the darned grasshoppers DEVOURED it! Also planted some licorice, valerian, and lemon verbena over in the new herb garden.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Bought T-posts and fence wire to put in the "dog yard" at the new place, the laid out the dimensions and placed the posts where they will be put in. The actual pounding them in needs to wait until tomorrow when I have son and his friend available, since the poles are 6 ft tall, and I'm only 5'1". (Can't reach the top to pound them down.) Also put in support stakes and wire for the grape vines, then "unwrapped" the vines that I had previously planted from the support poles that came with them, and got the branches trellised onto the support wires. After that, I bought 5 more grape vines...they should get planted in the next day or so.