Toothpaste expiration dates - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Expiration Dates azrancher Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 11-13-2014 09:23 PM
Expiration dates on food DB Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 10-24-2012 05:27 PM
Expiration dates on first aid medicines???? maxvauderk Health, Fitness and First Aid 5 02-06-2012 11:12 PM
Food Expiration Dates arjin101 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 07-29-2011 10:13 PM
Expiration dates? Spindrift Reviews and questions 1 11-15-2010 11:59 AM
Expiration Dates germantrader10 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 11-12-2010 04:57 PM
Food expiration dates: What do they really mean? Highlander Urban Survival 12 09-02-2010 06:07 PM
Truth about expiration dates Dr.prepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 02-20-2010 08:40 PM
Expiration Dates Getyershells Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 10-06-2009 01:23 PM

Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,954 Times in 3,861 Posts

Advertise Here

Good to know, I never really thought about it much before but I travel a lot for business and I have gotten in the habit of saving all those toothpaste tubes, shampoos, soaps, lotions and whatnot in the little complimentary sizes and save them away in a crate for the scenario where we may not be able to go buy these anymore.

Only been saving them for a few years now, wish I had been saving them all along I would have a lifetime supply by now.

Be Prepared,
OBW
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Target Shooter

Location: Gun Control: only buying one when you really wanted two!!
Thanked 1,241 Times in 347 Posts

OBW, I too save all the little complimentary items from the hotels I stay at. While most of mine are acquired from vacation stays, I've been doing it for almost a decade and I've accumulated a substantial amount that now fills a 66 quart plastic bin. On the plus side, I've got enough to last awhile when stuff goes south. On the other plus side, I already prep soap and other hygiene supplies so my complimentary items can be "hand outs" to other folks in need, when the time comes.....and, oddly enough, I have hundreds of toothbrushes (and they aren't the cheap kind either!) from vendors that visit the office. Is it crazy that a good, name brand toothbrush is almost $5?!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DentalAsst68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Lazy Prepper

Thanked 1,513 Times in 446 Posts

After divorce things got really bad to me (not to my ex, though :-) and one day, after paying child support and two days before receiving money, I saw myself with no toothpaste and only what amounted to some 50 dollars in my pockets (no credit cards, as my ex had of course maxed them out buying clothes, electronics, etc...).
I just searched the trunk till I found the bag some 3/4 years old unopened tubes of courtesy tooth paste they gave in hotels during business trips. The soaps were dray and cracked but usable the same. But the tooth paste looked almost like new after I squeezed the tubes a bit.

Just an addition: Please note that I live in a place where temperatures easily reach 105F/40C on the summer, and that I usually leave my car under the sun.
The Following User Says Thank You to elZ For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Numquam Defuit Semper Pro

This is a dentists' dream! Someone whose got too much TP and using it up as fast as possible. I wouldn't worry too much, TP is just good tasting soap with some additives. Yes, certain types of fluoride do expire quite fast but the greatest benefit is from the brushing action not the TP. And don't forget to floss although studies show oral irrigators are far superior to the string!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,649 Posts

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you have enough for 50 years of brushing.

Until you open it, it will probably be fine. The worst thing that would happen IMO would be that the fluoride would lose its effectiveness, but the paste itself would continue to help clean your teeth after a meal.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,971 Times in 3,817 Posts

I have used lots of expired tooth paste because any time I find it on sale I buy lots.

My only experience with it becoming useless is the gel kinds. Stick to paste and, as MikeK said you can knead it back into use. I have used paste over 7 years old. No prob.
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 01:43 PM

if you have an excessive amount of toothpaste and looking for uses, it works great as tire repair. It MUST be paste, not gel. Mix some with tissue or piece of a napkin, knead it and ( I used a pen) stuff it in the hole in the tire. I did this in the cold winter months and it lasted and worked great!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,408 Times in 3,765 Posts

You also don't need a huge glob on the brush like the ads show. I just use a smear and a tube will last almost a year (I only brush once a day though).

Due to that my tubes are often well over the date but other then a slightly off taste (old) it still seems to work just fine.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:33 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 1,338 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ella View Post
Thanks for all of the alternate suggestions to use instead of toothpaste, but I am not looking for alternatives. I already HAVE toothpaste. Did I mention that I have LOTS of toothpaste?
Toothpaste is one of those things that will worth 1000 times its current value when SHTF...... So you prob cant have enough.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,408 Times in 3,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbsa View Post
Toothpaste is one of those things that will worth 1000 times its current value when SHTF...... So you prob cant have enough.
Truth be told, the toothbrush would be the more valuable item as it works even without toothpaste.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,877 Times in 980 Posts

I found a good sale for $.88 a tube for Colgate a few years ago. Probably bought 40 tubes. We are still going through it and it's expired by 2 years. It can separate, but just kneed it up a bit. It's fine.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,879 Times in 1,484 Posts

I store plain old, cheap Ultrabrite. What I am using now is multiple years old. Tastes and seems to work fine. I wouldn't worry.
Another use for toothpaste....it works great for polishing the yellow out of old headlight lenses. I've found it every bit as good as the refurbishing kits you can buy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk