Do You Lock Your Doors? - Page 16 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
emp and doors tooltime Vehicles & Transportation 9 01-12-2015 09:05 PM
Blondie VS The Doors AbsolutWoman Jokes, Humor & Music 9 08-05-2014 08:11 PM
Trap doors Donfini Urban Survival 64 10-22-2013 04:04 AM
California City Attorney says "lock doors, load guns" real wowwee Firearms General Discussion 60 12-05-2012 02:01 PM
Workbenches using old doors svxak47 DIY - Do It Yourself 5 07-16-2012 07:23 PM
reinforced doors wilburc General Discussion 4 02-15-2012 11:01 AM
FEMA: Why lock people UP when you can just lock their city DOWN? 411man General Discussion 2 11-17-2010 07:33 PM
Who likes the Doors? crazy Jokes, Humor & Music 1 07-13-2009 10:44 PM
French Doors bkcraun Urban Survival 21 07-05-2008 11:24 PM

Old 11-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,928 Times in 7,522 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
“Locks only keep honest people honest”.
Yep, "A lock only keeps the honest man out." is the way I was taught the adage. Either way the point is made. I agree!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:43 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 15,688 Times in 3,858 Posts

Each thing in place to block a transgression , signs, fences, gates, locks , security lights , security shutters , alarms, cameras, dogs , and so forth ought to be evidence you did everything you could to ensure you took your security seriously and did every measure to prevent other confrontation from occurring and work favourably for you in court if a tresspass/ robbery/ home invasion were to occur . Yes I lock up to not make myself an easy victim.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Threepin'

Thanked 6,831 Times in 2,180 Posts
Default Do You Lock Your Doors?

Quote:
“Locks only keep honest people honest”.

This is a common saying but I think it is really misses the mark. Most criminals are simply opportunistic. You can watch tons of video on the Neighbor etc. Apps of people door checking homes and vehicles. Very few take it any further than that when the door is locked, they just move on.

Absolutely true. And I hate the “OK Boomer” meme, but it applies to that saying.

Why not at least deter the thieves who are unwilling to go any further than going through an unlocked entrance? Opportunistic thieves who casually prowl and don’t draw attention to themselves. Or those looking to sneak in and do you harm.

If you have someone intent on armed robbery who runs into a locked front or back door and chooses to continue to try to get in that way and break through, a locked door will give you advance notice and potentially seconds to prepare if caught off guard, whereas an unlocked door they’re able to waltz right in.

Those prepared to go further will still do so regardless of a locked door. But locks can stop an entire class of criminals from gaining easy access.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to querulous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,968 Posts

Good locks and door hardware goes a long way to keeping bad people out. The often misused adage “A lock only keeps the honest man out” must have been written by Master Lock or some other other vendor of bad door iron.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asag For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,540 Times in 7,867 Posts

We were away for two weeks on vacation. Nearby neighbor kept watch over the place. But the house and garage were locked up tight. Still were when we got home. As much as it bothers me to have neighbors so close to my house, they are great neighbors. They even have a key to the house to check on it when we are away in the winter months. We share a driveway and all of us watch over each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,355 Times in 4,323 Posts

Quote:
Do you lock your house and car doors habitualy? Or do you have other plans for those that decide to enter your home/car?

I recently went to a wedding in my home town which is in rural/suburban SC.I noticed that my family and friends lock nothing. After being away for several years and living in a few different urban places like Oakland,Seattle, San Diego, and Honolulu I developed a knack for locking doors.

I brought this up during a poker game to get a general consensous and my SC friends blew it off as paranoia. Which is true. But their reasoning for notlocking doors was one or two things:

1.Guns.

2.Barking Dog.

I have both 1 and 2 but have the mindset that keeping people out in the first place should be first priority.

Curious to your opinions and if socio-economic climate and location play a role in them.
Lock all doors
Have door bars on a few doors that we rarely use (like garage man door)
use an alarm system
park cars in garage (my wife locks her car door in the garage)
Lock the main garage door so it cant be activated by a remote
Check all doors before going to sleep.

If a stranger is in my house I want to know it is because they broke in, not because they wandered in because the door was unlocked.

Live in an upper middle class area (all houses are > 1m on my street) but have property crime
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txprep For This Useful Post: