Rayovac batteries and flashlights - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of the Rayovac Indestructible Flashlight kev Reviews and questions 2 11-30-2012 07:04 PM
Emp...would it kill my flashlights/ Batteries? Mr2005 Urban Survival 16 08-28-2012 01:41 PM
FYI, buyer beware! Rayovac batteries. redranger1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 08-01-2012 01:46 AM
Rayovac Batteries Suck ! Bondsman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 12-31-2011 08:49 PM
Flashlights, batteries and the quest for light. Jash Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 10-01-2011 01:18 AM
FYI: One day deal on a top notch Rayovac LED lantern GetPreparedStuff Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 12-22-2010 10:57 PM
Great Deal on Led Flashlights! 10 for $10 with batteries High Kapacity Urban Survival 42 07-10-2010 08:22 PM
Rechargable Batteries too big for flashlights TheOmegaMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 03-23-2010 04:59 PM
Surefire Flashlights that run on different batteries etc Reviews and questions 4 10-29-2009 12:47 AM

Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Default Rayovac batteries and flashlights

Advertise Here

The earlier thread about dollar store batteries got me to thinking and wanting to try my own experiment. I recently noticed that Wal mart has bins of yellow Rayovac batteries for 97 cents, and I got to wondering how they would hold up.

Being on a budget and gathering supplies for the GF and myself I try not to buy the most expensive equipment I can get, I settle for ok to good quality. Since I have some OCD and am trying to keep our GHB's as similar as possible I shoot for things that would be useful to both of us, or either of us. So for flashlights we both have Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme flashlights. We also have Rayovac 5 led headlamps in our bags and Gerber tempo flashlights as our last ditch light as I call them.

Here's how things are going on those dirt cheap Rayovac Batteries in our lights.

First up is the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme Flashlight, they're (according to the box) 130 lumens, and 11 hours of runtime. So far with a pair of AA batteries that light has been running for 16 hours and 43 minutes. It's dimmed alot but it is still putting out a "useful" amount of light. Not super bright but enough to light up a dark room and be able to see very clearly. I paid 19.99 a piece from Meijer's for these lights and if they are still running for 3/4 of a day on the cheapest batteries I could find then I am happy with both the light and the battery.

The headlamps are Rayovac 5 led, 3 AAA, 14 lumens and 32 hours of run time. It's been on for just as long as the flashlight and is running strong. They are 4 white led's and 1 red led. I figured the the claimed run time for the headlamp was for the single red, but after 16 hours running the 4 white I am happy with the battery and flashlight as well. If the single red led lasts 3 times longer than i could easily see that led being on for a solid 2 days straight.

They Gerber Tempo has been on for just over 4 hours and still looks ok for being a single led light. I wouldn't have paid 10 bucks for just the light but they came with some kits I ordered.

All in all I am surprised by those cheap batteries, and I am a little more comforted knowing that the flashlights themselves do ok with the cheap stuff. Like I said I cant afford the super high end lights and store cases of lithium batteries. I think I will start buying some more of these batteries and get a small stockpile of those going.

Also, please don't recommend that I should have bought this or that, I made my choices and am happy with them. I'm not looking for advice, just throwing some tidbits that I have learned and wanted to share.

Thanks for reading, Joe
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetroop2k1 For This Useful Post: