CAN ANYONE identify this sound? from Northern Ontario - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 536 Posts

Advertise Here

I googled animal sounds and scary sounds a little this morning and I see the OP's video is on several Canadian news site's.
There was one youtube video with the exact sounds and it was from the same area in Canada Again no body could identify the source. Then there was also a video from Colorado about a guy rock hunting and he recorded almost the same sound.

So I wouldn't think it is a man made sound, so that leaves some kind of animal or as they say a Big Foot
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,271 Times in 514 Posts

Whatever it is is badly distorted by echoing off rocks/cliffs or something. Makes it hard to tell what it is. You get sounds like this in heavily timbered, extremely rugged country -- the trees absorb the sound so there aren't multiple obvious echoes, but sound is still badly distorted in strange ways.

Edit to add: I was once reasonably convinced that a bunch of sasquatches were doing battle near camp. Turned out to be cows, once they got closer and the sound wasn't distorted anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to ljcygnet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 08:25 PM
force multiplier

My first reaction is a domesticated dog, possibly a hound. One of the larger breeds would be my guess. When I first heard the clip; sounded very familiar. If you spend much time in the Ozarks of Arkansas/ Mizzou; or the Cumberlands of Tennessee, it's pretty common to hear bark/howls very, very similar. I've heard bobcats and cougars in the Mtn's of both Arkansas and Tennessee and they sound more like a child or woman screaming. The sound of hounds echoing in the valleys and hollows of the Ozarks, particularly on a night with a full moon, can make a man wish he had a few silver bullets in the ole .45 YMMV

Regards

Rod

Last edited by Enforcer; 11-17-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 PM
In the woods

That's a Leaf's fan, ****ed that the Bruins kicked their hoser rear ends.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 AM
force multiplier

After listening again I am going on record to say it is definitely a dog. A large hound; probably a blood hound/hunting dog; possibly mixed breed. The sad part of this is, it appears that so many people in urban(and most rural) areas have no experience with, or lost touch with hunting/tracking with dogs. It has been outlawed in vast areas of our country. These dogs were bred for three things: nose(smell); vocalizing, yelps(smaller breeds) bark/howls(larger breeds), and fearlessness. If any of you live, and have experience with these dogs in the southern USA; chime in. I know hunting with dogs is still allowed in most southern states. What you hear in the video is still common in Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia,Tennessee and restricted times in Texas and Florida. Nothing but a dog.

Edit: Since this video has appeared on some news outlets; most "rednecks" Canadian or USA; aren't going to give it the time of day, just chalk it up as a bunch of dumb a$$es. My opinion is that it is a dog calling to it's master. If I had been livening in that area and known the people who were within a couple of miles; probably would have been a time to investigate; these breeds of dogs are loyal to a fault. Thats a dog that is out of it's comfort zone. YMMV.

Best Regards

Rod

Last edited by Enforcer; 11-17-2019 at 01:43 AM..
Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 AM
Prepared

Sounds like the echo from inside an empty silo or concrete culvert. I've heard a similar echo from traffic on a large overpass. All depends on whether there are roads within a couple miles. Had to listen to it again on my computer with headphones since I first listened to it on a tablet and I think it now sounds like a howl echoing at a distance.

Last edited by JLeeS1983; 11-17-2019 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Listened on computer with headphones
Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,938 Times in 736 Posts

I want to change my answer.

I just realized that the noise I was supposed to be listening to was what I had originally thought was just wind in the background. Sorry, my speakers on this laptop are awful.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,927 Times in 7,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
One of those things that make you question "Do I have enough gun?"

According to info,
"me, my wife and grandson went grouse hunting about 45km from Sioux Lookout Ontario, Canada when we heard these screams, it lasted for around 5 minutes but we only got 3:05 minutes of video and we have 2:15 minutes of it here. happened on October 3, 2019 at 6:50pm CST."

strange unknown noise caught on video - YouTube
Some version of the cat family mating.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,887 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Some version of the cat family mating.
------------------------------------------------

Hillary ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Logit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,133 Posts

It sounds a lot like a Bloodhound I used to own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,079 Posts

Well it is pretty far away but it sounds like a liberal snowflake getting forcefully screwed by a Bigfoot (without lube I might add).
The Following User Says Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:26 PM
MAGA

Thanked 15,099 Times in 4,384 Posts

Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,927 Times in 7,521 Posts

She has become famous. I wonder if that moment will keep her from ever changing her view to one of logic. She has become the pictured symbol of the left.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 AM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
It sounds a lot like a Bloodhound I used to own.
this

Like I said; it's a domesticated dog; possibly a larger breed of a hound. All too common in the south.

Best regards

Rod
Old 11-19-2019, 08:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 536 Posts

Last night I was walking across the living room barefoot in the dark and I stepped on my dogs Nylabone chew toy, I made that exact sound for about 5 minutes

I spent the other nite online listening to different animal sounds and haven't heard anything close to it except 1 video on you tube from the same area. Same sound, same depth to the sound but no explanation for what made it

I have a man crush on Big Foot so I find this post interesting
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,001 Times in 1,322 Posts

I SPENT a large part of my formative years running the Canadian bush and I have heard a lot of strange sounds out there that I could never quite identify

I was way north of Chapleau on a fly-in fishing trip when well into dark we were around the campfire and heard something give a screech that just flat scared the crap out of everyone there... including the guide who at first exclaimed "WTF was that!!!!????" Which pretty well indicated he was in the dark also.

After due consideration and discussion by all of us, none of which were cheechakos... we decided that is was a HUGE Great Horned owl that had been attacked by a Lynx while mating with a large Golden Eagle against its will.
And, once the mystery was solved we could all safely retire to our tents for that great peaceful sleep that comes from camping in the deep bush miles from civilization and anyone who could come to your rescue if such a thing was needed....
once all the fights over who got the various axes and hatchets and pointy sticks was over with.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

https://youtu.be/XPdaU9A-RqU
Old 11-20-2019, 10:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,256 Times in 836 Posts

Deer bleating. Born this spring.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 5,001 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebjr1967 View Post
Deer bleating. Born this spring.
SORRY
BUT
If that sound is a deer bleating it would have to be the size of a T-rex on steroids.

I have had my house in the woods for over 40 years and have heard every sound a white tail has ever made, from just normal life to being jumped and eaten by coyotes. I even had a fawn trap itself when it got into a tight stand of saplings and was calling to its mom to get it out. Had to rescue that one myself.

Have never heard that sound or anything near that kind of lung power out of a deer, at least one that wasn't supernatural..
Old 11-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,256 Times in 836 Posts

No need to feel sorry, my friend, I listened again, sober, and there were several sounds going on there. The sound in the background is obviously a T-rex, and steroids are cheap in Canada, I hear. The sound in the foreground sounded like a bleating fawn or a baby. My only question is how many grouse did the baby bag?

Last edited by ebjr1967; 11-29-2019 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Another thought