Ok, I get the premium revolver thing. - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM
AK103K's Avatar
AK103K AK103K is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,622
Thanks: 6,535
Thanked 11,027 Times in 4,468 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

OK, whats the specific scenario and project gun for it this time Justin?

If youre limited to a total of one or two guns, thats what you got and you go with it. I think most here, arent that limited, and have a selection to choose from.

Right tool for the job.

Of course, you can always make do with anything youve got, up to a point. But why only make do, if you dont have to?
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 09:43 PM
justin22885 justin22885 is offline
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22,819 Times in 7,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
OK, whats the specific scenario and project gun for it this time Justin?

If youre limited to a total of one or two guns, thats what you got and you go with it. I think most here, arent that limited, and have a selection to choose from.

Right tool for the job.

Of course, you can always make do with anything youve got, up to a point. But why only make do, if you dont have to?
right now, it'd be AKM and CZ-75, if i added a third it would be in .22.. i think its good to learn to make do with what you have, and have a lot of it, and you know what? either one of those would kill a deer just as dead as a 44 mag revolver, or a hunting rifle.. but you know what a revolver and a hunting rifle wont be as good at doing as the AKM and the CZ?.. defense
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 01:04 AM
John_Auberry's Avatar
John_Auberry John_Auberry is offline
Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,485
Thanks: 2,581
Thanked 10,312 Times in 3,360 Posts
Default

I look at it like my Rolex. I admire the craftsmanship and beauty but I understand my iPhone keeps time better.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Eddie_T's Avatar
Eddie_T Eddie_T is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern mtns near eastern continental divide
Posts: 2,265
Thanks: 3,812
Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,400 Posts
Default

Also, no point in arguing about choices. We all prepare for imagined scenarios as applicable to our differing lifestyles. I would be uncomfortable with EDC, mainly physical discomfort in having to dress for concealment. I am glad that my life activities do not require everyday carry to make me feel secure.

Fortunately I live in a relatively safe area where an occasional B&E is the most reported crime, and that usually when the occupant is away. I carry when I am coming home late to a supposedly empty house. But I do realize that even with weapon in hand if someone is on the other side of my door with a weapon they have the edge.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Peter's Avatar
Peter Peter is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Above ground
Posts: 7,981
Thanks: 4,346
Thanked 7,804 Times in 3,816 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsgt View Post
I don't think that every use of a firearm after the fail will be to fight off herds of yotes. If we have to go up against multiple bad guys I would prefer to have an AR-15 with more power and more rounds.

We prep. for other scenarios also, 15 round 9mm would be a poor choice to try to kill hogs or deer.

Yep! and this thread is about handguns...
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 PM
ajole ajole is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,870
Thanks: 7,826
Thanked 22,433 Times in 7,086 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I think the tendency with a semi-auto is to fire too many shots. I base that on reports of LEO placing three or more shots into suspects. However the real reason I choose revolvers is that I like them.
Too many shots? Exactly how many is that?

You're basing your opinion on something you apparently don't understand.

Cops don't shoot a lot just because it's a semi gun, they shoot a lot because that's how they are taught to do it, using the tools they have. They aren't hunting...they are trying to STOP a bad guy from doing bad things, as fast as possible.

That doesn't happen if you shoot once and then check to see if the bad guy is done yet, in fact that's a good way to get someone OTHER than the bad guy killed.

AK103 said it well, "Realistically, the second, and maybe third round, are going to be gone before the results of the first round ever show. If the sights come back on target, and the target is still there, they keep getting shot, until some sort of resolution comes about, or you need to run off to reload."
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Militant Normal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western West Virginia
Posts: 9,162
Thanks: 2,857
Thanked 19,041 Times in 6,489 Posts
Default

Lessee now:

Law enforcement is all semi-autos now because they're cheap. Much cheaper to buy than any quality revolver. And they only need a parts-changer monkey to repair, whereas revolvers need a real gunsmith.

An lot of the present crop of popular carry guns don't hold but maybe one round more than yer typical .38/.357 revolver. I'm talking small-frame nines and .380s. I know you operators would never be caught with one except as a backup gun, but not so of a huge sector of the carryin' public.

Long term SHTF where I actually live, I'd prefer a .357 Smith, because I can load it mild to wild, so it's a small game getter or a deer slayer. And it wouldn't spray its' brass to hell-and-gone. As a reloader I'd appreciate that.

For Urban Armageddon I'd want a double-stack Beretta or some such, but my real choice will be to not be there in the first place.

Horses for courses, the saying went.

Of course that's all academic, because I'm too crippled now to walk to the back side of my pasture, much less run-n-gun through a scenario from Call of Duty.

my $0.02
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM
justin22885 justin22885 is offline
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22,819 Times in 7,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Lessee now:

Law enforcement is all semi-autos now because they're cheap. Much cheaper to buy than any quality revolver. And they only need a parts-changer monkey to repair, whereas revolvers need a real gunsmith.

An lot of the present crop of popular carry guns don't hold but maybe one round more than yer typical .38/.357 revolver. I'm talking small-frame nines and .380s. I know you operators would never be caught with one except as a backup gun, but not so of a huge sector of the carryin' public.

Long term SHTF where I actually live, I'd prefer a .357 Smith, because I can load it mild to wild, so it's a small game getter or a deer slayer. And it wouldn't spray its' brass to hell-and-gone. As a reloader I'd appreciate that.

For Urban Armageddon I'd want a double-stack Beretta or some such, but my real choice will be to not be there in the first place.

Horses for courses, the saying went.

Of course that's all academic, because I'm too crippled now to walk to the back side of my pasture, much less run-n-gun through a scenario from Call of Duty.

my $0.02
so, are you a "real gunsmith?"
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Militant Normal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western West Virginia
Posts: 9,162
Thanks: 2,857
Thanked 19,041 Times in 6,489 Posts
Default

Not good enough to tackle stretching the hand in my Colt Officer's Model. Not that I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but I'd want to practice on a few first. So my revolvers go to a specialist. I stick to my old single shot rifles.

A man's got to know his limitations.

I didn't do my own knee surgery, either.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:41 PM
Hick Industries's Avatar
Hick Industries Hick Industries is online now
Live Secret, Live Happy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Oklahoma
Posts: 14,325
Thanks: 17,786
Thanked 34,986 Times in 9,791 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Not good enough to tackle stretching the hand in my Colt Officer's Model. Not that I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but I'd want to practice on a few first. So my revolvers go to a specialist. I stick to my old single shot rifles.

A man's got to know his limitations.

I didn't do my own knee surgery, either.
Stretching the hand of a revolver was covered on day 2 of Basic Gunsmithing Class.
You might consider taking a week and spend five 10 hour days learning and working on guns, with a bunch of retired guys.
I did this in the mid 1990s when I lived in the Eastern Sierra of California. http://www.lassencollege.edu/academi...s/default.aspx
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 PM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Militant Normal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western West Virginia
Posts: 9,162
Thanks: 2,857
Thanked 19,041 Times in 6,489 Posts
Default

At my age and state of decrepitude it wouldn't be worth it. Heck, I can't even work standing for five minutes at a stretch, so the lathe and mill hardly get used at all. Sucks, to put it mildly. I had been looking forward to doing something like that when I retired.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 08:36 PM
justin22885 justin22885 is offline
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22,819 Times in 7,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Not good enough to tackle stretching the hand in my Colt Officer's Model. Not that I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but I'd want to practice on a few first. So my revolvers go to a specialist. I stick to my old single shot rifles.

A man's got to know his limitations.

I didn't do my own knee surgery, either.
so, if you're not a gunsmith, and know one wont be available to you in any scenario, why pick something that requires one to repair, vs one, as you say, a monkey could fix?.. from a preparedness standpoint, that doesn't seem like a good decision
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 PM
Hick Industries's Avatar
Hick Industries Hick Industries is online now
Live Secret, Live Happy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Oklahoma
Posts: 14,325
Thanks: 17,786
Thanked 34,986 Times in 9,791 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
At my age and state of decrepitude it wouldn't be worth it. Heck, I can't even work standing for five minutes at a stretch, so the lathe and mill hardly get used at all. Sucks, to put it mildly. I had been looking forward to doing something like that when I retired.
I retired at age 55, so I could do the things I wanted.
Dont know how much longer I will be able to do all the physical work, but for now its fun.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 PM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Militant Normal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western West Virginia
Posts: 9,162
Thanks: 2,857
Thanked 19,041 Times in 6,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
so, if you're not a gunsmith, and know one wont be available to you in any scenario, why pick something that requires one to repair, vs one, as you say, a monkey could fix?.. from a preparedness standpoint, that doesn't seem like a good decision
Good point. But think it through.

For as long as I'm alive, I'll choose revolvers and treat them so they won't require repair. Statistically yer typical S&W goes 10,000 rounds or so without attention, more if you don't shoot hot loads. Colts, it is said, somewhat less. Taurus may be as little as zero, so we'll set them aside for the sake of argument. That's a heckovalot of rounds when you will be conserving every one because there may never be any more. Maybe every case you've got will be reloaded a dozen times, if you have the means. Which is true of your wundernein's cases, too. If you can find them in the leaves and grass. (The .38 Special was a black powder round, so if you have or can make primers you can use your home-made powder, even. Will a casefull of black get a 9mm bullet out of the barrel?)

And whether a monkey can fix one or not is irrelevant after TSHTF, because there won't be any parts supply chain, unless the planning includes a big box of spares to be kept track of, or cannibalizing other guns. My statement was in regard to LE departments, where the parts are ordered by Internet and come to the armorer on a brown (or white) truck two days later.

All fun to speculate on. Let's pray we don't have to run the actual experiment.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 01:52 AM
justin22885 justin22885 is offline
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22,819 Times in 7,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Good point. But think it through.

For as long as I'm alive, I'll choose revolvers and treat them so they won't require repair. Statistically yer typical S&W goes 10,000 rounds or so without attention, more if you don't shoot hot loads. Colts, it is said, somewhat less. Taurus may be as little as zero, so we'll set them aside for the sake of argument. That's a heckovalot of rounds when you will be conserving every one because there may never be any more. Maybe every case you've got will be reloaded a dozen times, if you have the means. Which is true of your wundernein's cases, too. If you can find them in the leaves and grass. (The .38 Special was a black powder round, so if you have or can make primers you can use your home-made powder, even. Will a casefull of black get a 9mm bullet out of the barrel?)

And whether a monkey can fix one or not is irrelevant after TSHTF, because there won't be any parts supply chain, unless the planning includes a big box of spares to be kept track of, or cannibalizing other guns. My statement was in regard to LE departments, where the parts are ordered by Internet and come to the armorer on a brown (or white) truck two days later.

All fun to speculate on. Let's pray we don't have to run the actual experiment.
we generally cannot predict what will happen, when, under what circumstances, or many failures, and being able to adequately adapt and work around those situation is what makes "as long as i'm alive" last a heck of a lot longer.. **** breaks, and if you're not prepared to deal with that, you're not prepared

and i do not need a parts supply chain, part of being prepared is in fact having spare parts, keeping track of where your spare parts are isn't hard with basic organization skills, and some handguns are extremely common.. every police station north of the border has piles of glocks as well as a huge number of civilians.. i even have spare bolts for my AKs because im not going to pretend that it cant fail

theres really no good argument for revolvers, it's more than just low costs that have eliminated them from pretty much every department in the nation
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 03:10 AM
The Old Coach The Old Coach is online now
Militant Normal
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western West Virginia
Posts: 9,162
Thanks: 2,857
Thanked 19,041 Times in 6,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
we generally cannot predict what will happen, when, under what circumstances, or many failures, and being able to adequately adapt and work around those situation is what makes "as long as i'm alive" last a heck of a lot longer.. **** breaks, and if you're not prepared to deal with that, you're not prepared

and i do not need a parts supply chain, part of being prepared is in fact having spare parts, keeping track of where your spare parts are isn't hard with basic organization skills, and some handguns are extremely common.. every police station north of the border has piles of glocks as well as a huge number of civilians.. i even have spare bolts for my AKs because im not going to pretend that it cant fail

theres really no good argument for revolvers, it's more than just low costs that have eliminated them from pretty much every department in the nation
As long as you're judge and jury, I guess not.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 AM
justin22885 justin22885 is offline
Awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,717
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22,819 Times in 7,566 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
As long as you're judge and jury, I guess not.
im not judge and jury, im just stating facts. murphys law states that anything that can happen, will happen, and its pretty integral to preparedness to be prepared for the unexpected. this isnt being judge and jury, its a reality that some people would rather ignore because it gets in the way of their fantasies
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
AK103K's Avatar
AK103K AK103K is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6,622
Thanks: 6,535
Thanked 11,027 Times in 4,468 Posts
Default

Well, there are certainly a lot of thoughts based on fantasies thrown around.

As much as I do think knowing how to repair your stuff is a good thing, its also a somewhat unrealistic thing when it comes to this. Unless of course, you have a full machine shop, or a damn good handyman shop avaialble.

Sure, have some basic, possibly high failure items (even that is kind of doubtfull, even for the junky stuff) around, that you can replace, but I seriously dont see you doing a lot of home gunsmithing should things go south.

And a lot of any possible need there can be headed off, simply by buying quality stuff, with a good history of long term use.

Buy cheap stuff at your own peril, and be prepared to pay out the ass for it, if you intend to keep buying it over and over, simply because its cheap.

The other thing, that makes more sense to me, is to have duplicates, and multiple duplicates, of anything you intend to count on. Something goes wrong, and just grab another. You can fiddle with whatever is broke, at your leisure later, assuming its nothing major. At the very least, you end up with some spare parts should you not be able to fix it.


My plan for anything going south is, Im already doing it. I plan on using everything I have around and use daily right now, and Ive got exact spares as backups, should they be needed. Thats the meat and potatoes.

Everything else is just gravy.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 12:01 PM
clc79092's Avatar
clc79092 clc79092 is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TEXAS
Age: 54
Posts: 1,934
Thanks: 201
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Not good enough to tackle stretching the hand in my Colt Officer's Model. Not that I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but I'd want to practice on a few first. So my revolvers go to a specialist. I stick to my old single shot rifles.

A man's got to know his limitations.

I didn't do my own knee surgery, either.
Did a left knee replacement October 30th and have the right scheduled for December 10th. It hurts but damn it is worth it. I can walk again. Bite the bullet and get a great surgeon. You wont regret it.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2019, 04:30 PM
AlphaSierraCharlie's Avatar
AlphaSierraCharlie AlphaSierraCharlie is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,217
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2,075 Times in 728 Posts
Default

A lot of the revolver vs semi-auto argument seems to lack any kind of context.

If you're traveling in vehicles to a well supplied and equipped BOL for a long term (years) event, having some quality revolvers makes sense because they last, and provide a depth of preparedness.

If you're traveling on foot it's completely different and you need maximum utility per pound. A revolver simply comes up short when compared with a semi-auto in most combat scenarios. If all you have is a pistol and need to lay suppressing fire so your wife and kids can get out of an amush's kill box, would you rather have 6 shots or 15 before reloading? Let's say you have to pick between a S&W TRR8 and a 1911 in the same scenario. Both hold 8 rounds, which one can you reload faster?
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net