Deer rifle for wife: .243 vs. 6.5 CM, Axis vs. American - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-29-2019, 03:05 AM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,151 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Take her to a gun shop and let her pick one that fits.
Fit matters a lot more than brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
X10 and look at youth models because of LOP etc. especially for women and young kids and I would go with 243 as well , although my family including the wife all hunt with 5.56/223. same as I do just different makes and models. JMHO and S/FI!
This and this ^^.

Look for one that fits her. Maybe she doesn't want an Axis or American? Or even a bolt action. And I don't know a lot of women impressed by black plastic. They usually want something pretty.

I like Savage, but I don't think the Axis is so much a bargain, as just a really cheap gun, albeit one that has good mechanical accuracy. Improving the trigger, and spending money on a better stock brings you closer to 110 territory.

Usually the scopes that come on packages are junk and most of them pile up sooner or later. I'm no optics, or brand snob by any means, but if she shoots a deer in the guts early into her foray into hunting, it's not going to encourage her much.

Other options are buying used, and refinishing a stock, cutting it for a shorter LOP, and putting a nice recoil pad. Or let her try one of yours at first. Managed recoil rounds or handloaded lighter loads. Likely won't fit her as well as it should, but might give her a direction in which she'd like to go for her own rifle.

And just to really throw a wrench into your plans, what about an older Marlin 30-30? Easy to cut a stock, the barrel is likely to be a handy 20" already, low muzzle blast, and the slim proportions to the stock are likely to appeal to her. Low recoil, but I'd take a 30-30 with a 170 gr. any day over a .243 when hunting "bigger", big game, like moose. Having a hammer on a gun is a useful tool, especially as far as new shooters are concerned. At a glance, or feel, it's obvious whether the gun is cocked.

How big are the deer in your locale, and how far are the average shots? What kind of hunting style do you favor?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,690 Times in 553 Posts

Not to go against the long-action grain, but you could always check out 6.5 Grendel as well, in something like a CZ 527. That would be a very handy little deer rifle, with very little recoil. That would also mean you could look at a Howa mini action.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,069 Times in 355 Posts

i love Ruger, mostly for handguns, HOWEVER, i REALLY love my Savage Axis in .223 Rem.. its more accurate than the Remington 700 ADL i had. I use mine for coyote with Federal 55 grn soft points and get MOA accuracy with the Nikon 3 - 9X-40mm scope.

I painted the stock & barrel and wrapped the scope. i also lowered my trigger pull by trimming the spring down VERY CAREFULLY!

you cant go wrong with a Savage Axis, in either .243 or 6.5 and the company has great customer service.
The Following User Says Thank You to kayakjohn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,674 Times in 664 Posts

Well, it all went off the rails when we finally went shopping.

I was dead set on the American, then I looked at a TC Compass, and was ready to pull the trigger (so to speak) on that one. A helpful gun counter guy then pulled out a Howa with the Hogue overmolded stock and bingo. I have experience with the Howa since my boy has a 1500 in .30/06 and loves it. As soon as my wife held it, she liked it as well. Then I asked if there was a compact version, just for giggles, to see if that would make a difference. Yes, there's a 1500 Ladies version, with a 1" shorter stock. That was a BINGO, and it found its way home with us.

Now we just need to hit the range for some sighting in and hopefully get her a deer before the end of the season.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,774 Times in 5,522 Posts

What caliber did you get

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Bear Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtater View Post
What caliber did you get
6.5 CM

After talking to my bud with a .243, and already having the equipment to reload 6.5, it was a no-brainer, even though I have no qualms getting more reloading stuff!

The nice thing is that my bullets for the 6.5 also fit the .264 Magnum my brother ended up with from my dad's estate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Area Man , if your going to put a bi-pod on her rifle , be careful, those hogue overmolded stocks are flimsy on the fore end , imo. and with open up your groups
Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Nothing to see here...

Since you have the 6.5CM loading gear why not have some of the lighter loads and let her pick one out that fits her the best? If you cast NOE makes a wide variety to choose from - http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...6qe3cougggbgk1

As an aside, we took my 45-70 to the range a while back and let a few others shoot the lighter handloads (186gr cast) and they were surprised at the "mild kick for such a huge cartridge". Their words, not mine.
The beauty of handloading is the option to tailor the load to the purpose. I let one of them fire 400gr factory loads and they were surprised at the difference! While the 186 grain with Trailboss isn't quite as accurate as my favorite 350gr load it uses a ~half of the lead & a less expensive powder yet it still makes a wonderful sound hitting steel gongs at 50-100 yards. It also kicks less than a 20g slug. Haven't had much chance to finish the round-ball loads for it yet.

My long-winded point is that one can start off with handloads on the lighter end of the range for a cartridge for the shooter to gain comfort with the rifle and then work up to "full strength" loads for hunting tailored to the quarry.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,807 Times in 7,562 Posts

why not let your wife pick what she likes more out of the options?
The Following User Says Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,789 Times in 2,051 Posts

I like 6.5 alot. you have it so not much left to discuss. What is ammo availability like? I was thinking that 243 being established would have been easier to find. I too reload so availability is not an issue. except there is no 243 on my bench, lots of 6mm though
Old 11-19-2019, 04:28 PM
Bear Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
I did. And she did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
. . . A helpful gun counter guy then pulled out a Howa [in 6.5 CM] with the Hogue overmolded stock and bingo. I have experience with the Howa since my boy has a 1500 in .30/06 and loves it. As soon as my wife held it, she liked it as well. Then I asked if there was a compact version, just for giggles, to see if that would make a difference. Yes, there's a 1500 Ladies version, with a 1" shorter stock. That was a BINGO, and it found its way home with us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
I did. And she did.

Quote:
. . . A helpful gun counter guy then pulled out a Howa [in 6.5 CM] with the Hogue overmolded stock and bingo. I have experience with the Howa since my boy has a 1500 in .30/06 and loves it. As soon as my wife held it, she liked it as well. Then I asked if there was a compact version, just for giggles, to see if that would make a difference. Yes, there's a 1500 Ladies version, with a 1" shorter stock. That was a BINGO, and it found its way home with us.
Great hoping to read stories and see pictures